"The Blitz Cup" Information And Interest Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, and welcome to what will be known as the first ever "Blitz Cup"! This is just an information/interest thread so I can see if there will be enough feedback so I can move forward with the tournament idea...

So let's just get right to it!! Simply put...there are two twists in this tournament which will differentiate this tournament from any other tournament you have ever seen before.

It is highly important that everyone who is interested at least skim and have a general idea of how this tournament will go so they develop the correct strategy early on before the pace picks up...It's very fast-paced, after all!

CONTENTS: (Use Find to shortcut to it if you want)
-ONE PART SURVIVAL
-SECOND PART BLITZ
-FAQS
-CONCLUSION

Those twists will come in two parts:

ONE PART SURVIVAL...

This tournament will have players alternating battling generations from round to round, with RBY in the first, GSC in the second, and ADV in the next, with a culminating finish for the two finalists!

To show an example of this, we're going to use a fellow named "Player A". He has joined the tournament and we will follow him so you, the reader, will know what to expect.

He starts with six pokemon exclusively and solely from the RBY generation to battle his opponent with the same RBY requirements. This entire round is in RBY mode.

Ok, so this is how it looks for Player A when he first starts out in round 1.

RBY -------------GSC---------------ADV--
Round 1 ----------Round 2------------Round 3

Bulbasaur
Charmander
Squirtle
Diglett
Pikachu
Growlithe

The listed pokemon are just examples of pokemon strictly from the RBY generation, you can pick any of the 151 in the game. Now let's say Player A emerges victorious from his bout with player B and wins with a score of 2 - 0. His
only surviving pokemon are a Charmander and a Bulbasaur. Now, here's the catch...

Player A may only take his surviving pokemon to the next round regardless of whether he has all six, or three, or even just one. Any pokemon fainted whatsoever is unusable by the player for the remainder of the tournament and cannot be reinserted or reused. Once they're gone, they're gone.

So onwards to the next rounds of the tournament. Having upon entered round 2, our buddy Player A may now equip himself with reinforcements for his next match, and the rules are that he or she must choose 3 Pokemon that made their debut solely in the GSC generation, not a hint before or after, and this can be any pokemon of their choosing from that gen.

Let's see how this works with Player A...

RBY -------------GSC---------------ADV--
Round 1 ----------Round 2------------Round 3

(Survivors) --->
Bulbasaur--------->Bulbasaur
Charmander------->Charmander

(KO'd)...............(Added pokemon)
XSquirtleX.................(Elekid)
XDiglettX..................(Houndour)
XPikachuX.................(Marill)
XGrowlitheX

As shown above, Player A will now face his next opponent in GSC MODE with his two survivors and 3 pokemon which debuted in the GSC gen, Elekid, Marill, and Houndour.

For the next round, the cycle continues the same, with any survivors from this match making their way to r3 and now they will play ADV MODE with three ADVers which debuted in that generation.

As for the two lucky (and skilled) players who make it to the finals, they will have a special type of battle to decide the champion....but it won't be said until the time has come!

SO......those are how brackets work, and I have FAQs at the bottom for people who have more questions and such.

THE SECOND PART BLITZ...

Now for the SECOND TWIST, which I believe will drive a few people mad but I believe it's a breath of fresh air....

The moves Recover, Softboiled, Rest, Moonlight, and Synthesis, EDIT:and Wish are hereby BANNED. That's right, all Recovery moves as well as the item Leftovers are banned from usage. However, draining moves like Giga Drain and Leech Seed are PERMITTED.

This tournament was built to be pure blitz all the way, so watch your step and don't get careless because pokemon you lose now will be slots you might need later!

(As for other battle rules, they're pretty general, no ubers, OHKOs, yadda yadda, etc. I'll probably stick those in the forthcoming signup post if enough interest is gathered.)

FAQs:

1) What happens if I win a battle with more than three pokemon?

Well hey, more power to ya ! If you won your previous match with say, 5 pokemon left, you can interchange with your 3 options for the next round as much as you want and you have a ton more flexibility.

2) Can I switch out surviving pokemon from my last battle for other pokemon in this round's gen?

No, all surviving pokemon from the last round and previous rounds must be used UNLESS you have an excess replacements in the present round. Then you can switch around as you please.

3) Can excess pokemon which were not used in previous rounds be called up in later rounds? (I won RBY 6-0, then I won GSC 2-0, and I'm about to add 3 ADVers and I want to stick in one more extra pokemon from when I won RBY 6-0)

No. Extra pokemon from previous may not be carried over, so pick wisely.

4) How will you keep track of whose pokemon survived, etc.?

Well first off, I'm letting some of this responsiblity go to the participants. The players will keep track of how many pokemon they have left standing at the end of each match, and I will update the post with surviving pokemon for each player as the tourney goes on.

I will only officially advance the winner when:

1) The winner posts the score and his surviving pokemon under this topic, and the loser also posts to verify that it is true.
2) I receive 100% identical logs from both sides. Tedious, but failsafe way of proving the exact score and exact survivors. I suggest the former.

If neither of these are done by the deadline, I really don't have the patience and I will just fill in subs/DQ on the spot and give unfair DQs. That will definitely spoil the tournament for everyone else and I hope everyone will do their part to make this a fun and fair tournament for all the players.

EDIT: 5) What goes in the empty slots for battles if I start with only 5 usable pokemon for the next round?

All empty slots will be filled by either a Level 1 Caterpie, Weedle, or Kakuna. Furthermore if these pokemon even come out at all during the course of the game it is grounds for an INSTANT DQ as to prevent them from becoming sleep bait, hit bait, etc. Lastly, when all your usable Pokemon are fainted and all you have remaining are the Lv. 1s, the loser should then just forfeit.

6) What happens when my Weedle/Caterpie is pseudo-hazed into battle?

On the somewhat rare occasions that this occurs, the Lv 1 pokemon should be allowed to die by its trainer in the next hit.

--CONCLUSION--

So anyway, this is my idea for what I believe will be a refreshing, new, and exciting way to play the game, with the added tension of thinking of not just now, but over the long, consistent haul...

..Do you go for the sure win? Do you take chances to retain as many pokemon as you can for the next round while risking the chance to survive? Do you explode now to win the game outright or gamble for the chance to wield a stronger team? Find out what you're made of and sign up!

(Please note, this is an interest thread. not the official sign-ups. Those will come later. Also feel free to ask more questions.)

So, if Player A wins Round 1 2-0, he has to play Round 2 with 5 pokemon?

I suppose Wish is supposed to be banned as well?

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
lol this is tricky....battling at a new extended level =0

I'm interested but intimidated at the same time =p

So, if Player A wins Round 1 2-0, he has to play Round 2 with 5 pokemon?
I suppose he'll have to use something dumb like Magikarp or Arcanine for his last slot. HEh.

I'm interested, but there's a lot of tournaments going on right now, you may want to hold it off a bit.

I think if the 6th pokemon is supposed to be a "dumb pokemon", then it shouldn't be allowed to see play at all. Magikarp and crap like that can help scout moves and stuff.

And yeah, this sounds fun.

what if say the opp used roar or ww and it switches in your "dummy" pokemon I assume the dummy has to switch out but wouldnt that give the opp a free move or do we have to just KO it so what is your thoughts on that

if you play on bots it wont be an issue :P

i'm all for it, but juding by your example, is tihs all preevo, or are you simply just using those baby pokes as an example?

I like this idea. So I take it ubers will be allowed since u said the origonal 151 and anything from the GSC and ADV generations? Very cool tournament.

I like this idea. So I take it ubers will be allowed since u said the origonal 151 and anything from the GSC and ADV generations? Very cool tournament.
nah theres no ubers. Its basic rules plus the no recovery part.

Im definitly interested VIL.. seems like a fun tournament.

what if say the opp used roar or ww and it switches in your "dummy" pokemon I assume the dummy has to switch out but wouldnt that give the opp a free move or do we have to just KO it so what is your thoughts on that
I guess the phazing side would be forced to kill said dummy that turn to prevent it from being more of a nuisance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)