The Blue Crew

Note: A log of changes is provided at the bottom. All changes made will be in red.

The Blue Crew
Welcome to my very first RMT!

My name is hoiboy, and I'm rather new on this forum. I learned about competitive battling while searching up “good” movesets for my Luxray and Staraptor. Serebii's PotW wasn't exactly my flavor of stuff, so I kept on looking. I originally skipped Smogon because the “University” in it's name made me think it was some junk spam site that had laddered itself onto Google. However, I got so desperate that I eventually turned to Smogon, and then yadayadayada.

Over the past few months, I've made a couple of teams to “learn” the competitive pokemon battling environment. Then, over my winter break, while desperately waiting out the rain and awaiting the slight (10%) chance of snow in the Silicon Valley, I decided to put together a serious team and see how far I could get myself. Now that break is almost over, I have to get preppin' for school again (asian schools ftl~), so I figured I wouldn't have time to fix all the bad crap on this team.

That isn't to say I haven't been successful with this team. I rose 400 points on the ladder on my main account, from 800-1200! (I had been testing a failed gimmick team on my main account... stupid me.) However, I've stalled around 1150 with this crew and I desperately wanted to reach 1400 for the Suspect Ladder stuff.

If you've never posted an RMT and you're one of those that finds it hard to swallow your pride, I feel you. It's sort of... humbling (?) to admit that your team needs some touching up (and that high school juniors at a Newsweek Top 200 school don't have a whole lot of time). Well, anyways, here goes my very first RMT...

*If bits of this RMT feel over-the-top or just plain cheesy, that's because I went through a lot of effort to make this easy and fun for raters. Also, I know a lot of you are going to complain about not using cool animated sprites *wink*... but they give me seizures.
**If you want to know where the name comes from, I advise you to take a look at the pictures.

Team at a glance

Team Building Process
I've always loved Latios, but he's gotten rather predictable. I decided it was high time to pull out that dusty SubSalac set and put it to good use. This team is based around a SubSalac Latios sweep.

Next, I decided to look for something that would take out stuff that rapes Latios. There's your scarfers, priority users, and steel types. The easiest thing to remove was the steel types. Nothing does that better than Magnezone, who traps steels and then proceeds to rape them with HP Fire.

The other big Latios threat are scarfers. Kyurem is one of the fastest scarfers* (screw you Haxorus/Hydreigon/Garchomp) out there, and with it's awesome bulk and insane STABs and stats, I still can't believe it's not Uber. Magnezone also helps to remove steel types that get in the way of Kyurem.
*of course, that's assuming nobody is stupid to throw a scarf onto Jolteon or Deoxys-S

At this point, I realized that I had a big Heatran hole. Most standard Heatran's could rape the Latios/Magnezone/Kyurem combo. I added a bulky water to deal with Heatran. It can also phaze stuff and take hella boosted hits. Suicune!

I realized I would need a wish passer so that Magenzone and Kyurem wouldn't get screwed after round 1. Chansey walls half of the metagame and can spread status around with Toxic, which greatly helps Latios sweep.

Lastly, I decided that Forretress would make a great addition to the team. It can lay down Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock, and it can spin away rocks. This helps Suicune rack up damage using RestTalk + Roar.

Chansey wasn't pulling it's weight on the team, as Forretress' Toxic Spikes did the poisoning. I felt like the only thing it was doing was walling stuff. I swapped out it out for Gliscor to deal with Roobushin, Doryuuzu, and just SS teams in general.

Okay, so Forretress isn't exactly. Shoot me.

♫ Under the sea ♫

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Relaxed [+Def, -Spe]
EVs: 252 HP/112 Atk/144 Def
-Toxic Spikes
-Stealth Rock
-Rapid Spin
-Gyro Ball

Gen IV's entry hazard/removal guru is back! I didn't want to outsource (and waste space) rapid spinning and entry hazard-ing to two different pokes, so I combined them into Forretress.

Forretress is almost guaranteed at least SR up thanks to sturdy. Nothing's going to be OHKO'ing him that's not a fire-based attack. Gyro Ball is for an actual way to hurt something. I chose Toxic Spikes over spikes because once I got rid of Chansey, I needed a way to spread toxic around besides flinging my one (and only) Toxic Orb on Gliscor. If he survives, I bring him in later to spin away the opponent's rocks.

Fun Story: Uh... Forretress once managed to set up all his tools and spin away the other guys' rocks? Nothing really interesting happens with Forretress. :(

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Bold [+Def, -Atk]
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpAtk
-Roar
-Sleep Talk
-Rest
-Surf

Suicune is my primary phazer, a neccessity on pretty much every team. He is the glue of the team, and really stops most offensive threats from running straight through this team. Roar gets rid of set-up-ers and really racks up that damage with Forretress' entry hazards down. RestTalk is just for a chance to recover HP. Surf is because I need some way to hurt the opponent if they use Taunt.

Fun Story: Suicune once stalled out an entire team. Sadly. Forretress managed to get up two layers of Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock. Suicune just RestTalked and racked up hella damage with SR + Toxic Spikes + Sandstorm damage (the other guy had a T-tar, but only 2 pokes were immune to sandstorm and only 1 of the other 4 had leftovers) and surf. Needless to say, the guy brought in T-tar as his last poke, and then forfeited. >.>

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish [+Def, -SpAtk]
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
-Fling
-Earthquake
-Acrobat
-Taunt
Gliscor is mainly around to check T-tar, Doryuuzu, Heatran, Roobushin and the likes. Fling helps to spread (more) poison around, while Earthquake, Acrobat, and Taunt are to shut down walls in general. Pretty much anything that Gliscor can't stop from walling can be dealt by with Magnezone. Acrobat is to hit balloon users and it really hurts when Gliscor has flung Toxic Orb away.

Fun Story: Gliscor is my Doryuuzu check. Since when did Doryuuzu carry HP Ice? ._.

Kyurem @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Naïve [+Spe, -SpDef]
EVs: 40 Atk/252 SpAtk/216 Spe
-Dragon Claw
-Draco Meteor
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast

I can't believe Kyurem isn't Uber. I understand that it's shitty typing is shitty, but it has excellent bulk that Garchomp would die for, it has no 4x weaknesses, and it has the best mixed attacking stats in OU. Kyurem is probably my favorite wallbreaker and revenge killer. It has some of the best mixed attacking stats and decent (read: trolled) speed. Choice Scarf can hinder me, but I need to be able to outspeed a lot of stuff in order to revenge killed it. Ice Beam hurts a lot of stuff, and Dragon Claw and Draco Meteor are just purely for mixing it up on the spectrum. I find myself using Dragon Claw a lot more though, mainly because I'm absolutely scared that Draco Meteor will miss. Focus Blast is mainly filler for coverage, but I never use it because of the whole “what if it misses?” nervousness.

EV spread is to maximize Special Attack, throwing some EVs into Atk to boost Dragon Claw. The rest goes into speed.

When I was looking at this role, it came down to Crobat vs. Hyrdreigon vs. Kyurem. I took Kyurem because it was the bulkiest of 'em all and it has the best STAB options.

Fun Story: I switched in my Kyurem into his Scrafty and OHKO'ed it with a crithax Ice Beam. He switches in Garchomp. I OHKO it Ice Beam again. He switches in his Latios. I OHKO it yet again with Ice Beam. At this point, he was wondering how I was outspeeding all that stuff. Out of mercy, I told him Kyurem was locked into Ice Beam with a choice scarf. Then he sent out Gliscor.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
Nature: Timid [+Spe, -Atk]
EVs: 40 HP/252 SpAtk/216 Spe
-Substitute
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Explosion

Magnezone is my steel remover. Latios can't sweep when Nattorei is lying around, as it resists both Surf and Dragon Pulse. Magnezone has proved to be invaluable throughout his career, removing steel types that would otherwise stop Latios. It also serves as my bulky water check. It scares them off and lets Latios come back later to finish the sweep. I chose Explosion over Magnet Rise because I've never actually had to use Magnet Rise, but there are some times when a suicide bomber is a very handy thing.
I actually brought Chansey in for a while to wish pass to Magnezone in case it needed health to pull one again, but as I got higher on the ladder, the more useless it became. Whenever the opponent has seen Magnezone rage with HP Fire, and Chansey clicks Wish with a steel-type out on the field, they switch it out.

Anyways... Substitute is just to scout if they have a HP Ground/Fire/Fighting somewhere. If not, I proceed to rape them with HP Fire. Thunderbolt is basic for STAB, and Explosion is just to nuke Blissey. If Magnezone has nothing else left to do, I bring it in either as a sacrifice to bring in Latios safely. Explode if I'm faster, or take the hit like a boss if I'm slower.

Fun Story: My opponent sent out a Nattorei, and I was like cool! free ko!. I switched in Magnezone and clicked the HP Fire button. Needless to say, Nattorei wouldn't die in one hit. It then used Level Field and OHKO'ed my Magnezone. My opponent said that his Nattorei was built to be Magnezone bait. -.-

Latios @ Salac Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid [+Spe, -Atk]
EVs: 12 HP/244 SpAtk/252 Spe
-Substitute
-Calm Mind
-Dragon Pulse
-Surf

EV spread is to create an HP number divisible by 4 so that 3 subs will actually activate a salac berry. The rest goes into speed and special attack for obvious reasons.

If I play Latios correctly, which is after all the priority users and steel types have been removed, I usually rape the other team. I chose Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor mainly because I can't afford a SpAtk drop on my main sweeper. That would be bad. Surf is just for coverage, though I've contemplated going mixed with Earthquake or Waterfall or using Thunderbolt or Energy Ball or something else.

Fun Story: I was down to Latios, my last pokemon, versus my opponents 3. I subbed as my opponent switched, CM'ed while he broke my sub with sucker punch, subbed after my opponent sucker punched again, and salac berry activated. I was down to 1 hp, with a +1 SpDef, +1 Spd, +1 SpAtk. I won that match.
Fun Story 2: It came to to Latios (like usual) vs. Salamence. I had already subbed once and CM'd once before poison took out his Garchomp. I subbed while Salamence DD'd, then I CM'd as he broke my sub. I click the Substitute button, knowing that I was fucked. Salamence uses Draco Meteor and misses. I sub and activate Salac Berry. I CM again, figuring I could use an extra boost (I wasn't thinking straight). Salamence Draco Meteors again and misses! I just finished him off with a D-pulse.

Threats
-Slaking - I got raped by one CBSlaking with Giga Impact. I dunno, maybe it's just not used enough to have a counter for it.
-Anything that has had one round of setup *stares at SD SB Blaziken* when Suicune is gone really hurts my team.

What I'd also like​
If possible, it'd be cool to fit some priority users, and possibly a backup phazer.

Concerning Rating​
Try to keep the team centered around a SubSalac Latios sweep, though if you can provide solid reasoning and numbers to back a SubSalac Latias, feel free to change that.
Otherwise, everything else on my team is up for -grabs-.
Also, feel free to comment on the format and how it affects the rating process. I strive to make my RMT easy and digestible for readers, so I want to know how I can improve the format.

Log of Changes​

I appreciate all raters for taking the time to read through my senseless rambling and make it better. Thanks! I love you all (no homo).

sup brah, I got the message and this team- it's creative as hell! I see that you put some effort into this RMT so props. Anyways I'm not sure how effective this team is in a 5th gen metagame and, (it really breaks my heart to say this), I don't think SubSalac Latios is anything special (aka its not very good). I'll expound on that in a bit. I think the best way to attack this rmt is one Pokemon at a time, and while that's not normally my style I think it's best for a team such as this. If I don't comment on a Pokemon I think its peachy!

First up forry. I'm not sure why you have Toxic Spikes... I don't see any members in particular that benefit from it (except maybe Suicune) but I think they really are irrelevant, random, and inhibiting to the otherwise fast pace of this team. The metagame isn't particularly kind to them either, with the recent surge in tentacruel usage on rain stall teams, the only team that would actually be affected significantly by toxic spikes. Unless theres a very important reason for keeping them, Spikes would be much better, wearing down opponents so your more offensive members can sweep, rather than stalling out counters. It will help against Latios' counters (Scizor, Tyranitar, etc.) immensely.

Next up is Suicune, and I really don't like him I'm afraid. Last gen, he had a unique combination of bulk and attacking power, and this gen, neither is very impressive. I think a really good replacement would be (laugh if you must) Azumarrill.

@ Choice Band
252 HP / 252 Atk
Huge Power
-Waterfall
-Aqua Jet
-Ice Punch
-Superpower

If you've never seen this you may be a little shocked, but with Huge Power, Azumarill is a very good Pokemon. Aqua Jet is immensely useful, covering Doryuuzu, Landolos and Blaziken, all of whom can be potentially dangerous (esp. the latter two). Waterfall places some heavy dents in things, and the other two moves are for prediction against the likes of Latios, Dragonite or Nattorei who love switching in (thank you team preview). He's pretty powerful and Aqua Jet gets you out of a lot of jams.

On Magnezone, Explosion is just bad. Explosion was nerfed this generation so it no longer has the defense drop- meaning that his explosion hits like shit and even Chansey can survive it. I'd run Flash cannon, to hit Tyranitar and Latios thinking they can get away with switching in- remember, tyranitar i just as important of a counter that Magnezone should be able to weaken.

And finally we have Latios. I'm sorry to tell you that Subsalac isn't really that great. not only is it hard to set up, while still nabbing turns for a CM, its very easy to take down- priority attacks (which are everywhere mind you) will finish him and SS teams will invariably beat him (which also are everywhere). Every team has (or should have) at least one of either. I think that you should replace Substitute for Recover and Salac Berry for Life Orb. This will turn him into a more effective and simpler sweeper, as he really doesn't even need the speed anyway and priority will definitely come in handy. recover means that LO damage isn't a huge problem, and this set will be a lot better for dealing with Reuniclus, who would otherwise be somewhat problematic given the Suicune replacement.

That's all the advice I have, good effort and good team. I hope this helps!

Hi,

I got your VM, I know its been a while but I have been busy.

I suggest first changing Forretress. He has the same typing, but is more of an offesive Pokemon than Forretress, who as you stated, never has anything interesting going on. He also has very good synergy with Latios and they create almost a 'Pressure Core' constantly forcing the opponent to make switches.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- U-Turn / Bug Buzz
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Also, as much as you don't want to, you'll need to change Latios to a Choice Specs set. SubSalac just can't work this metagame, with entry hazards, but more importantly, Sandstream. Even if he is sucessful at setting up, he'll get undone by external forces.

Latios @ Choice Specs
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psycho Shock / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Next I suggest you try my Sub Beam Magnezone :D

Magnezone @ Leftovers
40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
Timid Nature

- Substitute
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Try running an Iconicsor set for Gliscor. Just more bulk.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature

- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Facade
- Earthquake

Suicune is completely outclassed by other CM user's this generation. I suggest trying a CM Keldeo.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature

- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Mystery Sword
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scarf Kyuremu just isn't viable this generation. Try out a DD Feraligatr.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature

- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

It's a lot of changing of Pokemon, but I tried to keep your blue themes as well as I could and also make it work.

GL

Hmm, so Latios is meant to speed boost and be faster than its "counters"...so why not Dragon Dance Latios? The set is right in the DPPt Ubers analysis.

Suicune is not the pokemon it once was. I recommend specially defensive Empoleon instead. He resists 12/17 types and he learns roar so he can still be a phazer. Empoleon can cover special sweepers and foretress can cover physical ones. If you want to he can also still rest/talk.

Empoleon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

Kyurem has the best BST of all OU pokemon, however, it is actually horrible overall because of its terrible typing, poor move-pool, and slow speed. Keldeo is actually a much better mixed sweeper in the sense that secret sword does physical damage.

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

This pokemon is just amazing. It can calm mind up and it can do an incredible amount of damage, even to Blissey. You may want to change the hidden power to dark, electric, or some other type.

As a rule of thumb I stay away from Scarfing Dragons with lower than 100 base speed. Purely because after 1DD dragons like mence and latios will outspeed and hit for massive damage.

Also I can't why you'd want to run a salac when Latios has access to DD. Surf seems pointless on this set as it is late game and all dragon resists will be removed. I would go for Dragon Dance over Surf and have lefties to recover your health lost from substitute back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)