The Boston Celtics (Final Gen IV Team)

This team here served me fairly well in the final days of my Shoddy battling. However, recent events (namely, responding to a troll/flamer) have caused me to be banned from Smogon's PO server -- permanently, if I'm not mistaken :/ -- so it's back to Pokemon Lab for now. Naturally, I'd like for this team to improve. So, without further ado,
HERE ARE YOUR BOSTOOON CELTIIICS!
/trytospicethisthreadupbygivingmyteamasillyname

TEAM BUILDING

Started with one of my favorite Pokemon as of late in Gen IV. Though, I never liked him until the end of the generation, honestly. However, I really like what he can do if given the proper support and synergy.

Next came Gyara, my all time favorite Pokemon, who is a natural pick to draw Electric-type attacks for Electivire to gain a Motor Drive speed boost, and who also can switch back in to EQs aimed at Electivire if need be.

A Steel type followed quickly after realizing how Stone Edge-weak my team was, but wanting to focus on offense, I ultimately chose a revenge-killing Scizor. The Choice Scarf Pursuit that Scizor brings also helped me to decide on my next Pokemon.

I figured that a Ground-resist and Fire-resist would be helpful on my team, and with a Scizor to help with revenge killing on Ghosts, I went with a Choice Specs/Trick Rotom-H. However, this seemed to really not flow well with my team. So I went from Rotom-H, to a CM Jirachi (which worked well, but left me Heatran-weak), to. . .

This lovable oaf. Bulkybro has always had a place in my heart, though near the end of Gen IV and into Gen V, I never found much of a place for him on my teams. It may seem like having two waters in Gyarados and Slowbro would make my team grass weak, but I've had nothing but success with Slowbro. Electric-type attacks go straight to Electivire (unless a few CMs are up, in which case it doesn't matter), and Grass-type attacks are pretty much absorbed by my next addition.

Blissey. What really needs to be said about having a Wish support on a team like this? Fighting type attacks go to Gyara, and usually allow for him to get a DD in before the counter is out to begin ravaging.

With a team built around Electivire, it is important to establish entry hazards. Nobody does this better than Forretress, who is the lead on my team. Infernape leads will see a Gyarados/Slowbro switch-in either after I use Forretress's Sturdy to get up a SR, or if I don't want to risk losing my rapid spinner, immediately.

And now, YOUR BOSTON CELTICS STARTING LINEUP!

RONDO @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/112 Atk/144 Def
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback
Rondo sets up my SR and then Spikes/Toxic Spikes. On my PO team, I run SR and Spikes, but on Pokemon Lab I've been running SR and Toxic Spikes, to great success. How it deals with common leads:
Azelf: I use Payback as they Taunt, causing them to want to bring in a new defender as it can easily get 2HKO'd with the Atk EVs given to Forretress.

Metagross: Set up SR and (if a physical, non-Fire Punch variety) two layers of Toxic Spikes, dish the orange if I get hit with a Flamethrower or Fire Punch off the bat to my Slowbro and start setting up for a Bulkybro lolsweep.

Aerodactyl: I set up SR and Toxic Spikes.

Gliscor: I set up SR and Toxic Spikes.

Swampert: I set up SR and Toxic Spikes

Starmie: I set up SR and Toxic Spikes, or pass it off if I take too much damage to Scizor for a Pursuit.

Jirachi: Tricky. Pardon the pun. If I think it doesn't run a Fire Punch, then I try to set up, but often get Tricked a Scarf. Don't know how to deal with this lead other than pass the ball off to Bulkybro.

Heatran: Chuck the rock to Gyara/Bulkybro

Machamp: I set up SR and Toxic Spikes, but often get confused and wind up having Bulkybro take point.

Hippowdon: I set up SR and Toxic Spikes.

KEVIN MOTHERFUCKIN GARNETT @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP/28 Atk/72 SpD/160 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall / EQ
- Bounce / Ice Fang
- Rest
KG is a sleeping monster. Though I use it mostly to lure in Electric-type attacks to switch out to Electivire later in the game, it is also capable of getting a few DDs in and then Resting off damage to sweep. However, counters such as Vaporeon give my Waterfall/Bounce set quite a bit of trouble. Thinking of switching them out for Ice Fang/EQ, but Bounce is extremely helpful with getting rid of Grass types and Fighting types (although I suppose Slowbro and Scizor can handle these types pretty well. . .what do you guys think?).

PAUL PIERCE @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit
I take 0 credit for this set, and am unsure who created it (I got it from somewhere on Smogon though, I believe), but damn do I love this thing. I can't tell you how many times at the endgame I've won just by Bullet Punching 3 or 4 weak opponents to death. This thing, like Paul Pierce, shreds shit to pieces.

MR. E-LEC-TRICITY HIMSELF, RAAAAY ALLEEEEN @ Expert Belt
Ability: Motor Drive
EVs: 252 Atk/188 SpA/68 Spe
Lonely (+Atk, -Def)
- Cross Chop
- EQ / Ice Punch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
Well here he is. The star of the show. However, he has been underperforming as of late, and I'm not sure if it's due to something in my moveset/EVs that just isn't right, or what. I had Ice Punch on him in the beginning, which hit Donphan hard, and was his only option against Gliscor (never faced a Hippowdon with Ray though, I usually took care of him with Bulkybro or Gyara), but replaced it with EQ to hit harder. Though I'm not sure what this really helps with. . .on my Gen 5 team, I gave Electivire a balloon and Meditate -- I would use Meditate on the switch in and then have enough power to sweep. The problem is Scarfed Pokemon rape this guy even after a Motor Drive.

SHAQ @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP/146 Def/24 SpA/88 SpD
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Surf
- Psychic
- Thunderwave / Slack Off
Oh man, what can I say about this guy? Bulkybro has, since I started competitive battling, been my favorite Pokemon. I never have run the Slack Off set, due to the fact that after a CM or two, he takes very little damage from even SE moves; furthermore, after T-wave'ing the enemy, Leftovers heals well enough alone due to wasted turns by the enemy and being able to outrun the opponent after he's done setting up, thus not taking damage. If you can get enough CMs in to start sweeping, you don't miss Slack Off. Critical Hits are still heartbreaking, as always.

NATE ROBINSON? LOLIDK @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Toxic / Protect / T-wave
- Wish
With these Defensive EVs, Blissey isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Softboiled would be preferred if I were going for a stall team, but Bliss has enough bulk to Wish and get the benefit from it with good prediction. Flamethrower is here to deal with Scizor switch-ins, which I've seen many times, and Ice Beam is for general coverage alongside a Fire-type attack. Toxic to wear down enemies (though Protect or T-wave are preferred if you run Toxic Spikes on Forretress. . .I like Toxic still, as it gets pokes that avoid my Toxic Spikes). Wish support is the main role of Blissey here, as well as taking special hits for Gyara/Scizor.

Suggestions and the like are appreciated and encouraged. Thank you for reading this!

AND THAT'S THE BUZZER!

This is the ultimate goal of the team I'm trying to create -- getting Electivire out to start raping like a pissed-off son-of-a-bitch motherfucker with retard strength.

Incorporated Suggestions
  • Gyarados from 252 HP EVs to 248 HP EVs
  • Gyarados from 24 Atk EVs to 28 Atk EVs
  • Slowbro removed
  • Rotom-H added
    Rotom-H @ Leftovers
    EVs: 128 HP/168 SpA/212 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    - Charge Beam
    - Shadow Ball
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Substitute
  • Forretress removed
  • Skarmory added
    Skarmory @ Shed Shell
    EVs: 252 HP/164 Def/92 Spe
    Impish Nature (+Bold, -SpA)
    - Whirlwind
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Brave Bird

Other Changes Since Posting
  • Electivire from 188 SpA to 0 SpA
  • Electivire from 68 Spe to 252 Spe
  • Electivire from EQ to Ice Punch
  • Electivire from Flamethrower to Fire Punch
  • Electivire from Thunderbolt to ThunderPunch
  • Electivire from Lonely to Adamant
  • Electivire from Expert Belt to Life Orb

THREAT LIST:
Tyranitar: Taken care of by Scizor, or if boosted, Electivire, or if DD'd up, Gyara's Waterfall. Though SE hits Gyara hard and Scizor nicely. Also, EQ takes out Electivire if CC doesn't get the OHKO. Pretty tricky.
Gyarados: Taken care of by Electivire's Tbolt, or Bulkybro takes care of Gyara with a T-wave and CM'd Psychic. I also like getting into Gyara v. Gyara battles :).
Infernape: Slowbro or Gyara.
Azelf: Usually seen as a lead, and as such can be KO'd/weakened by Forretress, and later finished by Scizor.
Electivire: Scizor goes in and Superpowers for the KO. No really reliable counter or check on my team though.
Heracross: Hera is usually dealt with by Gyara, but an SE OHKOs. Again, no reliable counter.
Salamence: I put Bliss in and Ice Beam, or can put in Slowbro to T-wave/set up on. Gyara can handle most Mence. Scizor is the more obvious choice, though.
Togekiss: Bliss takes care of Kiss. This is a non-threat really.
Gengar: Taken care of by Scizor. Can also be killed by a CM'd Bulkybro or DD'd Gyara. Tricky.
Garchomp: Blissey or Scizor usually go in. Slowbro can handle chomp. Gyara with Ice Fang handles him very well.
Lucario: Electivire's Flamethrower, Scizor's Superpower, Slowbro to CM on and Surf.
Starmie: Electivire. Tricky.
Weavile: Electivire's Flamethrower, Blissey's Flamethrower. Also tricky.
Dugtrio: Gyara or Slowbro.
PorygonZ: Electivire's CC, Scizor's Superpower
Machamp: Slowbro or Gyara.
Snorlax: Set up on with Gyara or Electivire's CC
Zapdos: Bliss
Suicune: T-wave, set up alongside with Bulkybro, or Electivire takes care of Suicine.
Breloom: Tricky. I have problems with this guy.
Slaking: No problems with Slaking due to having 2 Poke's that can set up on him.
Ninjask: BP'ers haunt my team, having no Roar/etc.
Heatran: Gyara or Slowbro.
Jirachi: Slowbro can set up on Jirachi, Electivire's Flamethrower, Bliss's Flamethrower
Dragonite: Bliss's Ice Beam, Slowbro sets up on (usually), Scizor
Mamoswine: Slowbro usually goes in here, or Gyara to set up on
Gallade: Gyara Bounces, Slowbro sets up on.
Yanmega: Bliss's Ice Beam, don't really know as I haven't seen it yet.
Kingdra: Tricky. He can get to be a problem.
Roserade: Flamethrowers and Bounce work fairly well.
Scizor: Problem. Usually let Gyara set up on him.

Hey, nice team however there are a few problems. One, Azelf will almost always flamethrower or fire blast foretress so never stay in. Two, Metagross can't learn Fire punch. Three, Electivire sucks....no offense. Electivire is inefficient to use with 4th gen, if you want an electric type use Jolteon

Jolteon
Item-Choice Specs
Nature-Timid
EV's-4Hp 252SpA 252Spe
Moves-Thunderbolt, Hidden Power(Grass), Shadow Ball, Baton Pass

Now this set absolutely wrecks tons of stuff, Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB attack, Hidden Power Grass rapes Swampert, Shadow Ball destroys Celebi. Baton Pass is there to scout out counters your opponent may have. With Jolteon you also have the added bonus of absorbing electric attacks which replenish Jolteon's Hp.

Next up is that you need to get rid of Slowbro, all the treats he covers are already covered by Gyarados. I would run Sub Charge Beam Rotom-H

Rotom-H
Item-Leftovers
Nature-Timid
EV's-128Hp, 168SpA, 212Spe
Moves-Charge Beam, Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp, Substitute

This little guy is a bitch, Will-O-Wisp is there to hit incoming Tyranitar and Dragons such as Flygon severely crippling them. The Hp EV's ensure that 4SpA Blissey can not break your sub with Flamethrower/Ice Beam. Charge Beam to boost your SpA and attempt a sweep later, Shadow Ball for Starmie and what not. The Speed EV's for out running Adamant Lucario so you can Will-O-Wisp him.

Other than that the team looks pretty awesome! Your Gyarados' EV spread is amazing, although you should run 248Hp EV's so you can switch in on Stealth Rocks 5 times and relocate the remaining 4EV's into attack. Oh! Btw, where did you get that little Scizor Sprite? It's so dang cool!

@SilentRevolver
Hey, nice team however there are a few problems. One, Azelf will almost always flamethrower or fire blast foretress so never stay in. Two, Metagross can't learn Fire punch. Three, Electivire sucks....no offense. Electivire is inefficient to use with 4th gen, if you want an electric type use Jolteon
Woops, did I say that Metagross learned Fire Punch? My bad. I must have meant Flamethrower. (Edit: I did in fact say Fire Punch and Flamethrower... wow lolwut?)
While I agree that Electivire sucks compared to most other sweepers, this team was built to try and bring out his potential, to see if building a team around an Electivire/Gyara core could be done.
Nevertheless,

Jolteon
Item-Choice Specs
Nature-Timid
EV's-4Hp 252SpA 252Spe
Moves-Thunderbolt, Hidden Power(Grass), Shadow Ball, Baton Pass
This seems like it would demolish teams with proper prediction, and I like the BP to keep it alive and see what your opponent wants to do to you at the same time.

Now this set absolutely wrecks tons of stuff, Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB attack, Hidden Power Grass rapes Swampert, Shadow Ball destroys Celebi. Baton Pass is there to scout out counters your opponent may have. With Jolteon you also have the added bonus of absorbing electric attacks which replenish Jolteon's Hp.

Next up is that you need to get rid of Slowbro, all the treats he covers are already covered by Gyarados. I would run Sub Charge Beam Rotom-H
You know, I never really considered changing the set/role I had planned for Rotom-H instead of just replacing him. This is a great suggestion.

Rotom-H
Item-Leftovers
Nature-Timid
EV's-128Hp, 168SpA, 212Spe
Moves-Charge Beam, Shadow Ball, Will-O-Wisp, Substitute

This little guy is a bitch, Will-O-Wisp is there to hit incoming Tyranitar and Dragons such as Flygon severely crippling them. The Hp EV's ensure that 4SpA Blissey can not break your sub with Flamethrower/Ice Beam. Charge Beam to boost your SpA and attempt a sweep later, Shadow Ball for Starmie and what not. The Speed EV's for out running Adamant Lucario so you can Will-O-Wisp him.
This is basically a weaker SubShandera without Flash Fire (which I run on my 5th Gen team, and thoroughly love), but with a stat booster and only one STAB'd attacking move. WoW under a sub lets me burn anything and then switch out before taking damage, which is appealing.

Incorporating the Rotom-H set you mentioned will give me a spinblocker again, which will definitely help Electivire. However, I'll still have huge Hera/Starmie/Breloom/Kingdra weaknesses with this set. Perhaps I should replace Bliss with a WSHMKR Rachi -- though I also have tried this, and had limited success before I tried the CM Rachi I mentioned.
Any ideas on curbing some of these weaknesses? Skarmory instead of Forretress, perhaps?

Other than that the team looks pretty awesome! Your Gyarados' EV spread is amazing, although you should run 248Hp EV's so you can switch in on Stealth Rocks 5 times and relocate the remaining 4EV's into attack.
Thank you, I love this Gyara moveset. I call it Napdos :P.
Reallocating 4 HP EVs is a good idea. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Oh! Btw, where did you get that little Scizor Sprite? It's so dang cool!
Google search :p

hmmm Well I would also suggest that you run a Poke with Roar or Whirlwind, So Skarmory is a great addition over Foretress.

Skarmory
Item-Shed Shell
Nature-Careful/Impish
EV's-252Hp, 164SpDef/164Def, 92Spe
Moves-Whirlwind, Roost, Spikes/Brave Bird, Taunt

Now this Skarmory would be a great asset to have on your team seeing as it is already pretty bulky, Taunt will totally fuck up Stat uppers and Spikers on an opposing stall team. Things like Sub Seed Breloom are shut down easily as well. You can choose what nature you want with the coresponding Defensive EV's, personally the extra Special Bulk never hurts on Skarmory. Run Shed Shell over Leftovers seeing as Skarmory has Roost as a Reliable Recovery move, and Magnezone really hurts Skarmory otherwise. The choice between Spikes and Brave Bird is really just a choice between you wanting to damage the opponent or set up on them.

With that said, you can get rid of Slowbro and throw in the Rotom-H set I suggested and you have a decently bulky as well as offensive team capable of keeping Starmie at bay and Kingdra/Breloom checked via Whirlwind when they Sub and what not. Oh btw, Heracross is a non existant threat. It has dropped so much in popularity and when it is used it's generally scarfed which means Skarm/Gyara/Rotom can easily counter it depending on the move used.

hmmm Well I would also suggest that you run a Poke with Roar or Whirlwind, So Skarmory is a great addition over Foretress.

Skarmory
Item-Shed Shell
Nature-Careful/Impish
EV's-252Hp, 164SpDef/164Def, 92Spe
Moves-Whirlwind, Roost, Spikes/Brave Bird, Taunt
This is kind of funny. In my first edition of this team I actually ran this Skarm set (Shed Shell and all), but had Spikes and Bravebird instead of Taunt. This Taunt set looks very nice, and it's also a nice perk that Skarm can lead to Motor Drive boosts later in the game.

Now this Skarmory would be a great asset to have on your team seeing as it is already pretty bulky, Taunt will totally fuck up Stat uppers and Spikers on an opposing stall team. Things like Sub Seed Breloom are shut down easily as well. You can choose what nature you want with the coresponding Defensive EV's, personally the extra Special Bulk never hurts on Skarmory. Run Shed Shell over Leftovers seeing as Skarmory has Roost as a Reliable Recovery move, and Magnezone really hurts Skarmory otherwise. The choice between Spikes and Brave Bird is really just a choice between you wanting to damage the opponent or set up on them.
This is one of the main reasons Skarm is so appealing to me, that it fucks up Breloom. Shed Shell is something I will definitely run, as losing my Phazer/Breloom counter/Hera counter early in the game would be devastating. What would you think about running Brave Bird over Taunt, as I still need some entry hazards for Electivire to shine?
With that said, you can get rid of Slowbro and throw in the Rotom-H set I suggested and you have a decently bulky as well as offensive team capable of keeping Starmie at bay and Kingdra/Breloom checked via Whirlwind when they Sub and what not. Oh btw, Heracross is a non existant threat. It has dropped so much in popularity and when it is used it's generally scarfed which means Skarm/Gyara/Rotom can easily counter it depending on the move used.
I have tested my team using the Rotom-H Sub/WoW set suggested, and so far so good. The reason I mention Hera is that, in the original team I posted, an SD Hera can literally tear through me. It's good to know that SD Hera is not very common anymore, though.

Well now that Gen IV teams are no longer posted in OU RMT, I guess this is as good as analysis and suggestions will get. . .I highly doubt that there will be enough visitors to the forum. :/.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)