The Brave VI

The Brave VI

Intro

Alot of things were hyped for this new metagame. Excadrill, weather, dream world abilities, ect. This team takes advantage of the new features and sweepers that are now usuable or available and incredibly powerful. The first is Deoxys-s. I've never played in gen 4 with Deoxys, but having 180 base speed and one of the best movepools makes it so effective and unexpected. Team preview lets you find out which pokemon your opponent has to combat your sweepers, letting you prepare before the game even starts. Even psyshock lets you beat special walls with special attackers! And these new powerful special attackers let you rip everything apart. So yea, with all of that using dual screens offense is so much more effective now that it has ever been.

I started the team with trick room Reuniclus and Volcarona in mind. They don't really have the same counters, but teams just aren't prepared for them the way they should be and they can setup on each other's counters and sweep with little resistance. Next I needed ways to resist water, lure in special walls and Scizor, and just be awesome in general. CM Latios was perfect for that. This part of the team has always been consistantly effective and has not changed. The next two slots I needed to help with threats like the genie bros, Excadrill, ect. I tried stuff like Virizion, Celebi, Jirachi, Thundurus, and Lucario. Eventually Lucario and Jirachi proved to be the best, even though I did lose an extra water / fire resist. Then Deoxys for the screener. And it just worked really well. BTW there are alot of explanations on how I play the team so it is kinda tldr so yea just skip the boring parts.

It's about thinking carefully about each time a set up a sweeper is brought in, what will you lure, what lures in and weakens the biggest threat to their team. If they have a Scizor I want gone, I need to think of how I can get my Jirachi or Latios set up to lure it in. Before the game even starts. I can't try and set up Volcarona if they still have a full health Dragonite in tow, but I know Dragonite won't stop Volcarona after sponging a Lucario shadow ball. The team has pretty much 0 defense but for example, Excadrill has never had the chance to SD against this team, so it won't be able to sweep me (and even then I have Lucario). There are very few things that can set up on this team, but once again team preview will tell me what to keep away until later if they have something like RP Terrakion that can setup on Volcarona. In short I don't have to go "Alright I brought Rotom in on Gliscor why didn't they go to the Latios or the Celebi???" but instead "Alright once I set up Latios on their Heatran they are going to Scizor who I can weaken for Reuniclus. If they don't go to Scizor they will just lose their pokemon." I take control of the game and don't put guesses to chance because there are more factors involved.

Anyway since summer is pretty much done and I have school and crap I will be taking a break from mons. Hopefully some stuff changes because the game is kinda stale right now since teams are just sorting into generic categories of rain / sand / stall / dragons), ect. Though, teams that use standard bases (like rain / sand ) and throw in cool but effective stuff I will have respect for.

Preview

The Team

Deoxys-S @ Light Clay
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Best dual screener in the game. And it's in OU too :) Basically this is the most important part of the battle. Get up screens and SR and you have a very good shot at winning. Fail and you have a lower chance. But with Deoxys, setting up screens is so reliable because of its 180 base speed and 50 / 90 / 90 defenses that are pretty much doubled since I'll likely be screening before their attack. Also other Deoxys rarely run max speed or taunt or both on the same set. Thundurus with taunt in general are rare and I have options for dealing with them in Jirachi. So yea it's actually reliable for at least two turns of setup against most teams. For example, against Haxorus, who can 2HKO me through reflect, I need to make a decision on whether to SR or light screen and I only get two. Offensive toed is the same. Again, team preview is the best. If they have Dragonite or Volcarona, SR is the best choice. If they have multiple sweepers I'll go for the other screen.

Anyway when I first used Deoxys I had alot of problems with leads that could potentially destroy it and my team if I made the wrong move (Dragonite) but recently I've figured out how to fight against them with a little thinking; If you see them as a lead in the team preview chances are they are designated draco meteor / mixed attacking leads and I should light screen. If they are on dragmag and not in the lead, they are probably DDlum, so I should taunt. Reflect is the best option against clear skies / sand teams with Dragonite not as the lead as they could be DD or CB and I can handle them at +1 with screens up. Rotom usually doesn't trick since that wouldn't stop Deoxys from getting up 3 layers of spikes. Also due to the psycho boost Deoxy set being popular, they usually won't do that. Deoxys is also really useful for disabling walls. If a toxic Jellicent is taunted, my Latios can set up and not really have to worry about the status. Deoxys usually doesn't last more than 4 turns but it is the most important member of the team.
---

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere
- Shadow Ball
- Vacuum Wave

When I first heard that Luke got NP I figured that vacuum wave had pretty bad coverage. And it does...But Lucario is really important for this team. It's actually nice stallbreaker since stall pretty much just has spD Quagsire to check this thing. Quag is annoying and it walls my steels, but it is slow and has very poor actual stats. It also helps against Snorlax since that thing just sits and shits on this team because it can actually sweep unlike Blissey. Blissey had a shot to be OHKOd after a boost and Jelly and Gliscor don't like shadow ball at all. The main reason I wanted to use Luke was to revenge Excadrill with balloon. The problem was that this set (and luke in general) is really bad without life orb and I can still pick off a weakened mole and check it with other members of my team. With life orb the damage is suddenly in range of OHKOing Gliscor, Blissey, sand Terrakion, Reuniclus, and even Wobbuffet after a plot boost. Lucario does really well against sand teams since they just don't like luke's coverage, although Landorus beats Lucario and I need screens to tank an HP fire from Latios, which I really don't like doing anyway. So while Lucario is sort of the weak link on the team, I need Lucario to beat certain things and it does shine occasionally.

---

Jirachi @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SAtk / 236 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Anyone remember the rise of superachi at the end of gen 4? For some reason no one uses it but it still rocks, it just needed a little tweaking. Anyway this set is such a shocker to teams that expect the usual spD rachi. It's the coverage. Think your Ferrothorn is safe walling psychic / electric? Think Dory can get an SD up? Think Ttar can spong a few hits and crunch? Scizor for the U-turn? Latios? The list goes on but it surprises them all. Seems like people are finally realizing how many weird lure sets Jirachi can run, though I didn't get this set from the mixrachi concept. This idea came from when I needed a kind of specially defensive counter to the genies, and then tweaked it so it could beat alot of stuff. And for some reason it happened to work as a lure for Latios and Volcarona. Psychic was good for a while, but I needed something for Latias, who walls this set badly otherwise. Flash cannon nails Mamo and Haxorus for OHKOs after SR (Hax has around a 50% chance of being OHKOd) and with the EVs I outspeed them both. Flash cannon is for Ttar and Latios. If Ttar eats a flash cannon for around half of its health, it won't be stopping Latios unless it has a scarf. The rest of my team has plenty of psychic coverage. 2/3s of my team are psychic pokes...HP fire gets Ferro and Scizor off guard. But what this set really does is lure in Heatran. With light screen up and a CM as it switches in, I can go to 2+ and weaken it with t-bolt. Lategame Volcarona will have molti fun. If SR isn't up, I have to watch for Volcarona, but team preview helps with that. Also Quagsire and Gastrodon wall this set to death. Flare blitzers too. Other than that, this set is really hard to beat. Exca was annoying so I threw on a shuca berry. Kinda simple but it works. The rise of mixrachi is making people more prepared and an RMT isn't helping but I'm retiring this after I fix it up a bit, so oh well. Jirachi can be a nightmare for other teams that don't know what to expect.

---

Latios @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Psyshock

Latios holds this team together against strong water and fire attacks. This team is weak to them since I only have one resist and while that is the main problem the team has. I'm not certain what could do what Lucario does while resisting water and fire. Anyway, Latios. Latios is a wall breaker and overall beast. People expect hit and run, but this set just cleans and weakens teams like a monster. Tyranitar is bound to to get hurt trying to fight Jirachi or this or Volcarona. Either way, one of them weakens Ttar so the other can clean up. I had Hp fire here, but psyshock is barely better. Since psyshock on Reuniclus sucks I needed another way of beating Blissey as a last resort or as a lure. It also gives me a 31 IV in speed so I don't have to worry about other Latios as much. (If they are on a rain team I assume they have the same coverage). Psyshock also makes Latios a decent attacker against stall too since you can never have enough of those. WIthout HP fire I am walled by Ferrothorn, but in the rain I can 3HKO it will a +1 surf so it won't last long at all. Also Jirachi lures it in so well and it doesn't do much to the rest of my team. Anyway while you might think Latias does the CM thing better, this set is really good with Jirachi and brings useful typing and power to the table.

---

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Rest

This is a farcry from the bulky morning sun set, which I think is like the best thing in OU, but honestly this thing is still such a beast. Remember when chesto rest Kingdra became standard? Toxic it, let it get 4 DDs. It rests. Oh. gg. Well Volcarona does this too except it does have as many things that can wall it after 2 boosts and live to status it again. Actually the only common pokemon that can revenge this are Terrakion, Excadrill, and Scarf Landorus who are lured by Rachi and beaten by Reuniclus. Other stuff like Gyara and nite can survive a hit if they are at enough health (usually they fall to Lucario) but if Volcarona is at full it can survive a hit from anything but CBnite and 2HKO. Actually I might even try running bold on this team because it is just such an awesome sweeper. Team preview tells me when I should keep Volcarona away, like when Terrakion is on the other team. EVs let me beat scarf Latios at +2 I believe, maybe a bit more. Fire blast does insane damage but I had to replace it after losing to it missing several times. I ran a ton of calcs, the only KOs I miss are Thundurus in the rain (!) and something else that didn't really matter. Rest and bug buzz are pretty self explanatory. It is always a good idea for a team like this to have a status absorber or two. Reuniclus and Volcarona do that for me. What makes Volcarona such a beast is that it can set up on so much of OU. Ferrothorn, Scizor, Tyranitar without rock moves, Reuniclus, Toxicroak, CM Latias, Celebi, Virizion, Magnezone, Ninetales, Venusaur, Rotom / Gliscor / Jirachi and a bunch of other stuff l might have missed. It can even set up on Heatran itself if it doesn't have roar or toxic and a crapload of spD Evs. With the few things that can beat it only by resisting its coverage gone, Volcarona rarely fails to blast through teams.

---

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Trick room Reuniclus, the best cleaner in the game. It can take a hit from most of OU, flip the dimensions in its favor, and then I can just click the supereffective move to finish the rest of the team. It has to worry about Scizor and Jirachi. They get worn down trying to stop Latios and sometimes Jirachi. And then Reuniclus can blast them to pieces lategame. Terrakion and Excadrill fail to OHKO me so I can check them fairly well. They should never have time to set up against my team so they will almost always be checkable by Reuniclus. Psychic is so much better than psyshock because it lets me beat Conk, Gliscor, and deal alot more overall damage. Reuniclus is my fallback against sun teams. Latios usually isn't enough to stop them if they have crazy powerhouses like flare blitz Darmanitan or Arcanine, even under screens. If SR is up for Volcarona and Reuniclus gets the chance, it can pull through against the frail chlorosweepers. The other coverage moves are pretty obvious. I don't run HP fire because this is the cleaner, not the lure, and usually doesn't hit the floor until lategame. Not much else to explain since it is a fairly common set unlike the rest of the team. It has it's counters weakend, takes a hit / checks Excadrill and Terrakion, and cleans. Just hope focus blast doesn't miss the Excadrill!

---

Conclusion

That's all really. I've had alot of fun with this team since I like using it alot. It has less weaknesses than I thought it would but it does have them. Namely strong fire and water attackers like Darmanitan and Starmie in their respective weathers. This team has means to beat them but it becomes very stressful. Dragonite is annoying too if it leads because of multiscale. Although I'm too usually impatient to ladder for alot of games, this team's games are really quick and fun and I was able to reach past the top 50 on the su server and could maybe have gone further if kept laddering. Well, maybe. Anyway thanks for reading. - Eggbert.

---

Yes, finally someone else uses NP Lucario!! I'm so happy to see that...... anyways good team.
Is this team hyper offense? you have 4 strong attackers.
a few suggestions:
1. You have four psychics, its kind of pointless. I don't see any great use of latios on this team, since jirachi does the same thing as him. I recommend bulky dd dragonite over latios. A set with dragon claw, fire punch, roost, and dragon dance should do well.

2. Your Jirachi set is kind of... odd? Flash cannon is not a good move at all, it provides horrid coverage. You can raplace it with wish and make it a BulkyRachi.

Is your team Excadrill weak?? Seems kinda to me.

Good team and good luck!

I think that this team need a Dragon Dancer to setup while screens are up and outspeed things like exca. Quagsire handles pretty well your team, you can try to use a Breloom or a Virizion in replace of Lucario/Latios.

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh man, this is just like a special version of my Dual Screens Double Dragon HO team. Just that alone gives it massive plus points in my book. KyogreBlue, the whole point of Hyper Offense is to attack on one side of the spectrum, breaking down similar counters so one of the team members can attempt a sweep. I've used that same Deoxys-S before, and because of the metagame shifts, I CANNOT recommend Magic Coat over Taunt, with the dwindling number of Thundurus leads present in the game as of now. In terms of overly crippling weaknesses, Excadrill in the sand can prove to be a slight problem should screens be down, seeing that it can take down a member of yours once it's at +2. However, your Reuniclus can turn Excadrill's speed against it, so it's a good check. Besides that, I can't find any overwhelming weaknesses. Now, let's go forth and examine your team underneath the microscope.

Deoxys-S: Been there, done that. Nothing should be changed.

Lucario: This is my case that says Shadow Ball is better than Dark Pulse on Nasty Plot Lucario, who is very underrated by the way. Still, I'd give a small amount of consideration in using Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball, if only for the small flinch chance.

Jirachi: Cool set. I'll have to try it out soon. Can't recommend much else, seeing that this is supposed to lure Scizor and TTar in. Regarding what KyogreBlue has to say, I'm willing to guess that Flash Cannon is used to stop TTar and HP Fire for Scizor. I would recommend an Expert Belt over Shuca Berry to boost the power of its attacks.

Latios: Your method of killing Ferrothorn is not very reliable. However, Ferrothorn isn't seen on sun teams, so more power to you. I'd recommend Recover, but this is Hyper Offense. There is no switching.

Volcarona: I'd recommend an EV spread of 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe with your current nature. Other than that, I can't say much else.

Reuniclus: Been there, used that set. It is very effective late-game.

As I mentioned before, there are no overwhelming weaknesses on this team. Good luck with it.

Yes, finally someone else uses NP Lucario!! I'm so happy to see that...... anyways good team.
Is this team hyper offense? you have 4 strong attackers.
a few suggestions:
1. You have four psychics, its kind of pointless. I don't see any great use of latios on this team, since jirachi does the same thing as him. I recommend bulky dd dragonite over latios. A set with dragon claw, fire punch, roost, and dragon dance should do well.

2. Your Jirachi set is kind of... odd? Flash cannon is not a good move at all, it provides horrid coverage. You can raplace it with wish and make it a BulkyRachi.

Is your team Excadrill weak?? Seems kinda to me.

Good team and good luck!
I can't run DD nite on this team because it is walled by Hippowdon, Skarmory, Tangrowth, and Gliscor, which don't wall the rest of my team. My Jirachi is really weird...flash cannon lets it weaken ttar and lets me beat Lati@s who would wall my Jirachi. I usually handle Excadrill well under screens. Jirachi also has shuca, Lucario can revenge, and Reuniclus uses trick room on it lategame because it can survive any hit.

I think that this team need a Dragon Dancer to setup while screens are up and outspeed things like exca. Quagsire handles pretty well your team, you can try to use a Breloom or a Virizion in replace of Lucario/Latios.
I can't use dnite because it is a physical attacker. Quagsire does wall my team but because of its low speed and stats it will usually be overwhelmed. Virizion is a good idea over Lucario and it does help again water attacks. I might try the mix calm mind or something as it would still beat Snorlax and even give me more insurance against weaker Excadrill and Thundurus.

Oh man, this is just like a special version of my Dual Screens Double Dragon HO team. Just that alone gives it massive plus points in my book. KyogreBlue, the whole point of Hyper Offense is to attack on one side of the spectrum, breaking down similar counters so one of the team members can attempt a sweep. I've used that same Deoxys-S before, and because of the metagame shifts, I CANNOT recommend Magic Coat over Taunt, with the dwindling number of Thundurus leads present in the game as of now. In terms of overly crippling weaknesses, Excadrill in the sand can prove to be a slight problem should screens be down, seeing that it can take down a member of yours once it's at +2. However, your Reuniclus can turn Excadrill's speed against it, so it's a good check. Besides that, I can't find any overwhelming weaknesses. Now, let's go forth and examine your team underneath the microscope.

Deoxys-S: Been there, done that. Nothing should be changed.

Lucario: This is my case that says Shadow Ball is better than Dark Pulse on Nasty Plot Lucario, who is very underrated by the way. Still, I'd give a small amount of consideration in using Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball, if only for the small flinch chance.

Jirachi: Cool set. I'll have to try it out soon. Can't recommend much else, seeing that this is supposed to lure Scizor and TTar in. Regarding what KyogreBlue has to say, I'm willing to guess that Flash Cannon is used to stop TTar and HP Fire for Scizor. I would recommend an Expert Belt over Shuca Berry to boost the power of its attacks.

Latios: Your method of killing Ferrothorn is not very reliable. However, Ferrothorn isn't seen on sun teams, so more power to you. I'd recommend Recover, but this is Hyper Offense. There is no switching.

Volcarona: I'd recommend an EV spread of 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe with your current nature. Other than that, I can't say much else.

Reuniclus: Been there, used that set. It is very effective late-game.

As I mentioned before, there are no overwhelming weaknesses on this team. Good luck with it.
Yup, you are right thanks for clarifying that. Dark pulse is pretty much the same except I can hit Toxicroak and Heracross for neutral damage. It's really not that significant but toxicroak is getting pretty popular with the LO SD set. Expert belt would be good as people are watching for mixrachi and it could probably push some KOs closer, but it does leave me weaker to Excadrill. Latios used to lure Ferro but now I leave that to Jirachi. It does wall Latios pretty badly in sun or sand. For Volcarona's spread I did start with 96 but I bumped it up to beat Latios. Actually now that I've checked it I think I only need 108 spe for 263 for that so that saves me some bulk so that's pretty cool.

Thanks for the comments everyone

THIS TEAM FUCKING SUCKS

kidding, hi egg! this is a really cool build but i'm worried about terrakion under sand. it walls volcarona and needs to be significantly weakened for lucario to revenge with vacuum wave. quagsire walls you pretty nicely and curse sets can get a pretty easy sweep off.

i think lucario is the weakest link here, as you said yourself; i think virizion would make an excellent replacement. since terrakion is really only coming in on volc, it's going to feel pressured seeing it at +1/+1/+1 and will go for the stone edge. this means virizion comes in, resists the hit, and goes for the ohko. it also: beats quagsire; gives you a solid rain check; maintains a decent answer to excadrill; and with the set i'm recommending, absolutely murders stall (just lead with it, before toxic spikes are laid down, and it's an easy 6-0).

Virizion @ Leftovers / Life Orb | Hasty | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Swords Dance | Leaf Blade | Close Combat | Hidden Power [Ice]

just something to consider, great team and gl!

THIS TEAM FUCKING SUCKS

kidding, hi egg! this is a really cool build but i'm worried about terrakion under sand. it walls volcarona and needs to be significantly weakened for lucario to revenge with vacuum wave. quagsire walls you pretty nicely and curse sets can get a pretty easy sweep off.

i think lucario is the weakest link here, as you said yourself; i think virizion would make an excellent replacement. since terrakion is really only coming in on volc, it's going to feel pressured seeing it at +1/+1/+1 and will go for the stone edge. this means virizion comes in, resists the hit, and goes for the ohko. it also: beats quagsire; gives you a solid rain check; maintains a decent answer to excadrill; and with the set i'm recommending, absolutely murders stall (just lead with it, before toxic spikes are laid down, and it's an easy 6-0).

Virizion @ Leftovers / Life Orb | Hasty | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Swords Dance | Leaf Blade | Close Combat | Hidden Power [Ice]

just something to consider, great team and gl!
oh man when I scrolled down I only saw the bold haha.

Yea virizion is definitely a good fit on this team because it resists water and can go mixed without being walled, though I might go with giga mind for recovery. Thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)