The CAP Kitchen: Non-Competitive Discussion Goes Here

Speaking of Mega Evolution, how about a Mega for everything, even Aurumoth? I expect to see Tomohawk-Mega first due to being #1 on the ladder, even though I don't really want to.

Rather, I'd like to see Syclant-Mega, Revenankh-Mega, Pyroak-Mega, and most notably, Cyclohm-Mega before that. Anyone may feel free to design one of the original CAP trio. I might draw Cyclohm-Mega eventually.

Honestly I don't think that adding Mega Evolutions to the metagame would be a good idea. These CAPs already have great movepools and base stats. One of the cool things about the CAP metagame is that it intermingles with the OU metagame, instead of dominating it. Mega Evolutions would throw off that balance more than anything.

However, I do think that flavor-wise, Mega Evolutions could be really cool. I think if a group of people chose to take it on as a side project, sort of like the Pre-Evo workshop but on a smaller scale, we'd get some really great results.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Mega evolutions would just be art, sprite, and then stats. That's it. They would be rather short, and honestly not worth it. A cute idea, but there's not really enough meat to be worth our time.

And abilities? I seem to recall some mega evos getting different abilities? I also think some of them got different typing.

Could we discuss the Mega Evolutions for the CAP side project here then? That is, if we don't implement them into the simulator.

If Cyclohm-Mega got Sheer Force, though, all hell will break loose. I could see the following Base Stats for Cyclohm-Mega with Sheer Force:
108 HP / 60 Atk / 128 Def / 122 SpA / 100 SpD / 90 Spe
Attack isn't needed, so that doesn't change.

Pyroak, on the other hand, could become more physical-based with Rock Head, Flare Blitz, and Wood Hammer:
120 HP / 110 Atk / 125 Def / 105 SpA / 100 SpD / 85 Spe
Speed is still not so high because he works best as a bulky attacker with Swords Dance, rather than Dragon Dance.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Okay; first, I was making a joke when I suggested Sheer Force. Most people from ASB know what I mean.

/me dodges tomatoes

But in all honesty...CAP Mega Evolutions sound neat.

But I think that we'd have to do just one, to see where it would go...and certainly not Cyclohm. He's powerful enough as-is.

We should prioritize pre-evos before we try to add crazy new evolutions to the current CAPs. Also, remember that we haven't been okay with the 'evolution project' before, so why would we do that to the CAPs themselves? I think CAP is better served by working on other things and not worrying about that.

Who knows, maybe a Gen VI CAP will have a mega evolution and you'll get your chance there!

Okay, Dusk. That makes sense, now that I had time to think about the Megas. And my idea of Cyclohm-Mega was broken with the Ability alone! But it was just an idea I had, now that we have so many official Megas.

And to UllarWarlord, I really thought you were being serious about Sheer Force. But it seems that Sheer Force was his original Hidden Ability in ASB before switching it to Overcoat, correct?

Mega Evolution aside, I'd like to see some sort of Normal combination in one of the Kalos CAPs. Maybe a seperate one being Fairy.

But I know, as I've been lurking for quite a while before joining, that it has to fit the competitive concept in some way.

Last edited:
Dracoyoshi8, your Malaconda-Mega looks very nice, even with the two different reds.

Here is a BST suggestion, even though it's just for flavor:
115 HP / 120 Atk / 90 Def / 50 SpA / 140 SpD / 75 Spe

Last edited:
Hey there, CAP! I've had this cool idea for quite a few days and I just had to share it. Maybe you find it cool.

Concept: Take a really bad pairing for competitive use - preferably with a high amount of Weaknesses and a low amount of resistances. Then, make a pokemon with that type -- and then give it this ability:

Reverse Polarity - These Pokémon's weaknesses and resistances are switched. (No effect on immunities.)
I personally like this on a Ice/Rock mon - it would provide it 1/4x resistance to Steel and Fighting, 1/2x resistance to Ground, Rock, Water and Grass, and a cool set of 2x weaknesses to Poison, Ice and Normal (!!!). That would make this guy already very unique! But that set of weaknesses and resistances would make it a prime defensive wall in some of the worst defensive types.
Also, Ice is quite handy to justify its ability -- its a Polar creature! Of course it has an ability to reverse polarity!

Aesthetics: This guy concepts itself! Ice, Rock, magnetism? Why, its a Lodestone pokemon! Possibly evolves into an Iceberg?

Moves: While a bulky set would be the best (so it gets hit a lot and people appreciate his ability), I think it would be cool if this guy had Skill Swap, since it would be a really interesting interaction with some mons. For example, it would make for some interesting mind games against Magnezone or Shadow Taggers, what not. Besides that, the typical bulky mon moveset, considering Ice + Rock is already amazing coverage that only needs one move that hits Steels.

Alright, hope you liked this idea! I have another but I don't wanna be a pain.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello, Chaco, and welcome to CAP. I'd say to reserve your concepts until the start of the next CAP; CAP Pokemon are created step by step, with potential concepts being submitted toward the beginning of a CAP cycle. However, your concept has already been done! Mollux, the Fire/Poison gastropod with Dry Skin, exemplifies a poor typing with beneficial ability, stats, and moves that excels in OU's environment, despite weaknesses to common moves and Stealth Rock. If you're interested in creating a Kitchen CAP with other CAP folks (which has looser limits on attributes, such as custom abilities), hop on #cap on IRC. :)

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Place is somewhat dead, but I thought I'd try to stimulate a discussion of movepool flavour in case anybody cares particularly about that sort of thing

So, we have a Steel/Flying frigate bird with a naval officer motif. This gives a number of types that can be easily represented in a level-up movepool, namely Water-, Dark-, Steel-, and Flying-, so there's a huge scope for different takes on the flavour. It would be a shame to see a more or less uniform set of flavoury bits on offer, so hopefully my unfocused rambling will give people some ideas, or at least make them adamant to not accept mine, which is another option in and of itself. Firstly, it's a frigate bird. A frigate bird. This alone has so many connotations you could base its movepool around this alone. I always thought it was an obligate kleptoparasite, but according to Wikipedia only about 5% of its diet occurs through kleptoparasitism. So there's another happy childhood delusion of mine destroyed. In case that sentence meant absolutely nothing to you, the frigate bird's most oft-noted attribute is its tendency to attack other birds such as gulls after they've eaten a meal, attack them until they're forced to vomit, and then swallow that vomit mid-flight. And then they take it back to their chick, who sticks its head into the parent's mouth and feasts on the vomit. Also they knock chicks out of their nests and swallow them too.

So, great. Already Stockpile, Spit Up and Swallow sound like they'd fit this Pokemon perfectly. But given this crafty and roundabout method of obtaining one's lunch, Dark-type moves could, I think, work very well as part of the level-up movepool. Thief, Faint Attack, Foul Play, Knock Off, Snatch, Quash, and Night Slash all seem to be pretty good in this regard. It's a real pity that Sucker Punch, Pursuit and Switcheroo were banned, as they would work well too. But hey, only umpteen moves on a level-up set, so no need to overload it. Other moves that could tie in to this theme could include Covet, Astonish, Fake Out, Leer, Fury Attack... Lock-on might be nice too. I'm pretty sure that Mean Look and Block are both VGMs, so they'd be banned too, but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Water moves would be a fairly neat addition, and I've seen plenty of movepools already posted with Brine, Rain Dance, and the like, and especially the two I just mentioned, since they imply the nautical nature rather than the capacity to use Water-type moves, but oh well. Steel-type moves are fairly hard to comment on - likely as not, apart from Steel Wing, they'll be there for the competitive utility and not much else. The Flying-type moves have perhaps more competitive utility, but also more flavour value, given that it is, well... a bird. I can't really think of a Flying-type move that wouldn't complement this Pokemon pretty darn well. Except Aeroblast. And maybe Chatter. And Bounce. But anyway, special mention goes to Pluck since frigate birds get the majority of their food by plucking it from the surface of the waters they inhabit - and on this note, since they can't dive, giving them Dive as a HM makes ornithologists sad. And you don't want to make ornithologists sad, do you? Gust and Hurricane are again interesting options, tying in the nautical theme again.

What else? A bunch of birds seem to learn Sand-attack, so that could be a neat option (though that may just be my being traumatised by Pidgey as a small child). Lots of them also learn Agility, but that's disallowed too (why am I mentioning all these banned options? Oh well...). Finally, I guess Pelipper is a pretty good source of inspiration if all else fails, especially considering that frigate birds and pelicans are related. Soak, Supersonic, Mist, Water Sport, Aqua Ring, and Fling are all perfectly well and good.

As far as egg groups go, it would be another terrible ornithological crime if Pelipper were not able to breed with Cawmodore, so Water 1 or Flying for at least one group would seem to be nice and flavourful. Of course, we can't let these considerations get in the way of competitiveness, but given that most specified allowed moves can be bred for from these two groups it doesn't seem to be that much of a sacrifice. I won't say anything on the competitive side since that's not what this thread is for.

-----------------

So, as you may have guessed, I'm not going to be entering a movepool for this, but discussion of the flavour you'd like to see in the submitted entries is always nice, particularly if you don't feel confident in submitting a movepool yourself. The more options that are suggested, the more variety there will be in the final pool, or at least that's what I would love to think. So please, offer up your suggestions, or criticisms of my suggestions. Some nice discussion would be a good way to put this thread to its intended use. Please do note that if I sounded presumptuous or as if I were doling out precious golden flavour nuggets to the undeserving masses, this was not my intent at all, but to push for a bit more forum activity concerning the movepool stages.

So, cheerio and toodle pip, then.

EDIT: @Hollymon I don't contribute art because I've been away from Smogon for about a year and only came back about five days ago. No other reason.s

Last edited:
Speaking of Cawmodore, I'd like to see its pre-evolution be based on an albatross, since those are closely related to gulls, while pelicans and frigatebirds are more related to each other than either gulls or albatross. We have a gull (Wingull) that becomes a pelican (Pelipper) in the official franchise, so why not?

But bugmaniacbob, your flavor reasoning for Cawmodore was very nice to read.

bugmaniacbob Recently I have Ben reading all the art sections of CAP to try and improve my own art, and I noticed you proposed a lot and you even have an art badge. I thought you had just left Smogon for some reason or another but now I see you posting, I wonder why you don't contribute art anymore?

We should prioritize pre-evos before we try to add crazy new evolutions to the current CAPs. Also, remember that we haven't been okay with the 'evolution project' before, so why would we do that to the CAPs themselves? I think CAP is better served by working on other things and not worrying about that.

Who knows, maybe a Gen VI CAP will have a mega evolution and you'll get your chance there!
Hey Rising_Dusk, what's this "evolution project" you're referring to? I haven't been here in a while, and don't remember some of the CAP project's history too well.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Rising_Dusk, what's this "evolution project" you're referring to? I haven't been here in a while, and don't remember some of the CAP project's history too well.
This happened way back in 2008 and you can find threads from it here

Would this be a good place to discuss an anime about the CAP's with official Pokemon mixed in? I wanted to ask just in case anyone would be interested.

Mr. Magical Manticore, while I don't believe that there are any specific rules against such a discussion in this thread, I believe that you would be very hard-pressed to find anyone to progress the idea with. We tend to focus on the videogame aspects of the franchise here.

Mr. Magical Manticore, while I don't believe that there are any specific rules against such a discussion in this thread, I believe that you would be very hard-pressed to find anyone to progress the idea with. We tend to focus on the videogame aspects of the franchise here.
If that's the case, then would a discussion about a CAP game similar to Colosseum and XD be okay? You know, no Gym Leaders or actual Pokemon League, except for Smogon University itself? Which CAP's would the player start off with then?

But where would Smogon University be located, and where would they keep the "CAP's?" Wouldn't the program in that universe be called "Rent-A-Pokemon" or something?

Last edited:
When you say similar to Colosseum and XD, I automatically think Shadow Pokemon. It 'could' work with Shadows, giving access to some of the more popular egg moves such as Necturna's Sketch, and it would explain how you get the CAP's, as opposed to the other 700+ real Pokemon.
And in any case, the starter would obviously be Syclant, or if you had a choice, Syclant, Revenankh and Pyroak. The original CAPs.

I was thinking that if it's more like Colosseum, you could get all three of the original CAPs at the same time. What kind of plot would there be if there were Shadow CAPs?

Also, I've always thought of the CAPs as some sort of rare Pokémon that are occasionally seen in Sinnoh, Unova, and possibly Johto, but could be common in some uncharted region. That's why people believe that they are Fakemon, which explains the lack of recognition by the Pokédex. Smogon University seems to be the only place outside of that region to give a domestic home to these particular Pokémon.

I would like to see all pre-CAPs completed and added to showdown one day. I was actually really dissapointed when I found out they weren't. Especially brattle. He and malaconda are the best cap creations.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I would like to see all pre-CAPs completed and added to showdown one day. I was actually really dissapointed when I found out they weren't. Especially brattle. He and malaconda are the best cap creations.
They will likely never be implemented unless a huge change of heart is taken by both the PRC and the CaP Leadership team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)