1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Characteristics Thread

Discussion in 'Stark Mountain' started by ADH, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADH

ADH

All this is courtesy of my friend Denin and his Nintendo Power guide for Pokemon D/P.

It seems that in Pokemon Diamond and Pearl there's a thing called a Characteristic. This characteristic is independant of natures and governs how fast a stat grows in the game. Perhaps this is the game telling us what IV is the Pokemon's highest, but this is not certain currently. It could even be a second nature-like thing, but there's NO drawback to characteristics.

Here's a listing of all of the stats and what the game will say provided the stat will grow quickly.

Stats Quickly Rise

HP...
    :Loves to eat
    :Often dozes off
    :Often naps
    :Scatters things often
    :Likes to relax

Attack...
    :P:Proud of its power
    :Likes to thrash about
    :A little quick-tempered
    :Likes to fight
    :Hot tempered

Defense...
    :Sturdy body
    :Capable of taking hits
    :Highly persistent
    :Good endurance
    :Good perseverence

Special Attack...
    :Highly curious
    :Mischeavious
    :Thoroughly cunning
    :Often lost in thought
    :Very finicky

Special Defense...
    :Strong willed
    :Somewhat vain
    :Strongly defiant
    :Hates to lose
    :Somewhat stubborn

Speed...
    :Likes to run
    :Alert to sounds
    :Impetuous and silly
    :Somewhat of a clown
    :Quick to flee

Discuss, and any new information would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Footnote

Footnote

Could this have something to do with how fast the Pokémon accumulates EVs?
  3. Akayfortyseven

Akayfortyseven

I reckon its an IV thing, Ie, the brackets the stats IV could be in (1-10, 11-20 etc)
  4. pooch

pooch

If its an IV thing then its most welcome, because I for one can never be arsed with all this IV calculation malarkey.
  5. Hippo

Hippo

Yeah, its kinda rough, but i love that emerald guy who tells you if you have a 31 =P
    I use him a ton...

Kinda cool that they added something new, hopefully it'll be figured out soon... (or before i get a DS and D/P)
  6. RougeSoul

RougeSoul

Yeah but if it were an IV thing then why would there be multiple ones for one stat
  7. FarmerWithShotgun

FarmerWithShotgun

so my jolly quick tempered chimchar that i got on the first shot is good to go then if it's IV. I certainly hope it's IVs :)
  8. RougeSoul

RougeSoul

ADH was that list in any specific order because it's odd that Tochukaso has a max HP and the Characteristic at the top of the list for HP is the same one as his Turtwig.
  9. ADH

ADH

Unless each characteristic within a stat has an IV range I don't think there's anything going on about the different names. It does seem to be IVs, I got a Jolly Cranidos first try that had an excellent speed IV and it said that it likes to run.

Thanks to Aeolus for formatting the posting.
  10. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

This is interesting. Thanks for the information!
  11. Terkhen

Terkhen

I asked a friend who knows japanese and he told me that it depends on the module. IV mod 5 can give 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4. Depending on what you obtain, you'll get a different phrase. We don't know more, but here's the link to the japanese info:

http://www18.atwiki.jp/pokemondp/pages/23.html
  12. Lupo Aro

Lupo Aro

Possibly not, my 31 Speed IV Salamence is "Alert to sounds."

The annoying thing is that you only get one characteristic (IV), whereas the IV guy gave multiple IVs.
  13. Hippo

Hippo

Oh gosh, modulus.

So its just some random (well not random) thing then?
    It takes the IV mod 5 then gives you the characteristic based on the mod?

Kinda wierd... Is it the Highest IV then? Or a random IV to take the mod of?

(For those that don't know, modulus is like the IV divided by 5, then the remainder. 30 mod 5 =- (three bar equal sign goes there...) 0, so when you have an IV of 30 (or anything evenly divisible by 5) it gives you the one for 0.
  14. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

It's DV mod 5, seeing as how there are five possibilities for each DV. Not mod 6.

By all the evidence given so far, it's become pretty clear that it's entirely based off of the highest DV.
  15. Hippo

Hippo

Whoops, i read 5 as one of the possibilties making it mod 5. I'll change that then.

Glad its nothing something else I'd have to bread for... ugh.

I can't wait for the D/P breeding info though
  16. Konako

Konako

Great, my Relaxed Twiggy ( Grotle ) hates to lose. Meh, I guess SDef is better than SAtk or Spd.... Although I would have preferred it be HP / Atk / Def. :x
  17. Surgo

Surgo goes to eleven
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I considered that, but that actually seems less intuitive than modulus to me. You will rarely (never) see the lower messages if it's simple integer division because the class of messages displayed seems to be based on your highest DV; the likelihood of getting one of the lower messages then is very rare.

You can use it to help figure out the highest DV if you have a general idea of what your other DVs are, but even then you're using a calculator and you might as well just go the whole way.
  18. RougeSoul

RougeSoul

Then my faith in that this is an IV thing is restored seeing as how My Grotle has a Sturdy Body and a perfect defense IV
  19. X-Act

X-Act np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Yeah, I actually deleted that post, since in hindsight it didn't make sense at all.

So it seems like it takes the highest IV stat mod 5 to determine which message is chosen for that Pokemon.
  20. Jibaku

Jibaku Not taking FS requests atm.
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon IRC SOPis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Yeah, but if you have all 31 IVs then it would be random
    (apparently some people gave me some of these).

"chikara ga Jiman"
  21. Obsidian

Obsidian

Interesting

At first I thought the "characteristic" description on the individual pokemon's summary page was an elaboration of the nature (Adamant, Modest, Jolly, etc.), but it seems it is indeed IV related.

I look forward to further clarification/confirmation...
  22. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

So it would show a 29 IV over a 31 IV? Of course, this is the first thread I have seen discussing modules outside of Hidden Power calcs, which I get helplessly lost in.
  23. Hippo

Hippo

No, it would take the 31 IV because its higher, then take the mod.
  24. Akayfortyseven

Akayfortyseven

Well my Forretress and Milotic have flawless defence, the description for both is Capable of taking hits, which is releated to defence.
  25. Hyra

Hyra
    is a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Okay, so it takes the highest IV and divides by 5. If the remainder is 0, it shows the Mod 1 description for that stat. Remainder 1, Mod 2 and so on. Am I right?

So that's means that the second description for each stat indicates a perfect IV. What happens if you have multiple perfect IVs?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)