1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Cheapest Team in History: My 2nd RMT

Discussion in 'Past Gen Teams' started by Yoz, May 22, 2010.

1. Yoz

Yoz

Hey Guys, this is my 2nd RMT ever and very physically based with a theme.

The theme is to use the Cheapest pokemon as much as possible and abuse them in order to raise awareness that it is NOT cool to use them and much better to be original. Also it is to prove to people you do not need SR to win and all SR is doing is prevent the rise of great pokemon like Charizard and many Flying Type Pokes.

I had unsurprisingly a lot of success with this team and I think it requires a little bit more work and will be everything that is wrong in the current OU metagame. On one day of 2 hours play, I was unbeaten till I played George lol which was very annoying as that was the last match I was playing. :( So much for an unbeaten Steak.

All changes are in Red and Bold.

So onto the RMT:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In short my team is:

Celebi (Lead and Support)/ Jirachi (Scarfed Physical)/ Gyarados (DD bulky)/ Tyranitar (Scarfed)/ Scizor (SDancer)/ Infernape (Sp Mix)
    Okay, now for the detailed bit:

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EV Spread: Hp 232/ SpA 244/ Spd 32
    Nature: Timid (+Spd -Atk)

-Thunder Wave

-Leaf Storm
    -Psychic
    -Hidden Power (Fire)

This is a set that was suggested to me, however, I changed SR for Heal Bell for Support for the team. It is a Tinkerbell Celebi Set. Also I changed U-turn for Hidden Power (Fire). This deals with every Steel lead but Heatran. Together, with Leaf Storm, I believe I can deal with the majority of Leads. Anything Celebi can't deal with gets T-waved. Celebi is so versatile in this team, that it can come in later and actually sweep or support the team further than just being a Heal Beller by spreading Paralysis with Gyarados. Along with Jirachi's Flinch Hax, that create one very annoyed Opponent :P.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

[​IMG]

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EV Spread: Hp 80/Atk 252/Spd 176
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)

-Iron Head
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Ice Punch
    -Fire Punch

This is the obvious flinchhax scarf set. Ice Punch for Mence, and Fire punch for other steels. With Support from Gyarados and Celebi, this Jirachi can take down massive chunks from any team with the Paraflinch tactic. Many times when I was put into a corner with only Jirachi left, I Iron Headed my way out of there to victory from as much as 4-1 down.
    I put Adamant though, over Jolly for the added power.
    Today I had a great idea to put Zen Headbutt over U-turn for the STAB bonus and added Flinch Rate. Now I can Flinchax more even if it is a 40% chance with Zen Headbutt. Plus the 80 base power is lovely when boosted up to 120 Base Power and 240 if Super Effective. That, with Flinch is deadly.

[​IMG]

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Ability: Intimidate
    EV Spread: Hp 156/Atk 68/Def 96/Spd 188

Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Bounce
    Thunder Wave

This is the typical DD bulky Gyarados but I removed some evs from Atk onto Spd to outspeed similar Gyarados. Waterfall is the move every Gyarados should have, plus it flinches, hurray for hax!! I have Bounce for leftovers healing and because it is another stab. Thunder Wave is of course for spreading further paralysis and in conjunction with Waterfall, creates a very annoyed opponent.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sand Steam
    EV Spread: Hp 4/ Atk 252/ Spd 252
    Nature: Jolly (+Spd -SpA)

-Pursuit
    -Rock Slide/Stone Edge
    -Earthquake
    -Superpower

Well this is the ever cheap Scarftar. Not much to say other than very deadly. I have Rock Slide over Stone Edge for accuracy and possible flinch (yay more hax) especially because it is also STAB however even with the added accuracy I still miss at the worst times, like facing a Gyarados.

[​IMG]

Scizor @ Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EV Spread: Hp 4/ Atk 252/ Spd 252

Bullet Punch
    Roost
    Superpower
    Swords Dance

Huzzah for Scizor :P. Probably the best Sweeper on the team with Gyarados. I picked Superpower over Brick Break because of often failing to OHKO, even with 1 or 2 SDs. Roost is to recover any health lost while sweeping along with the aid of Lefties. Finally Bullet Punch, Scizor's Signature Move really. When in doubt, spam BP is Scizor's motto and is very wise words indeed because with Tech and STAB it reaches a base power of 90 which will hurt anything that doesn't resist it. Heck even those who resist it get hurt bad when boosted. A final Huzzah for BP.

[​IMG]

Infernape @ Life Orb
    Ability: Blaze
    EV Spread: Atk 64/ Spd 192/ SpA 252
    Nature: Mild (+SpAtk -Def)

-Close Combat
    -Flamethrower
    -Grass Knot
    -Thunder Punch

This is the Set I predict will meteorically rise in usage now that Latias is banned. It hurts Gyarados with Thunderpunch, either OHKO's Swampert or put the hurting on it with Grass Knot for Scizor to Revenge Kill it. Destroys all Steels and Weavile with Flamethrower bar Heatran which it can CCombat along with TTar. All together a great set with few counters now that Latias is banned.

Problem Pokes:

[​IMG] Swampert is a problem so far because I have no real good ways of dispatching of him. Dealt with!

[​IMG]Vaporeon is so bulky he can just soak up all my hits, he is a real problem, just stalling my team. Dealt with!

[​IMG] Metagross is a major pain and often walls me. Even with all the HP fire going around and ScarfTar. Dealt With

[​IMG]Rotom-H can is the biggest problem I face, however Tyrannitar can often deal with him if he is not WoWed.

Well that's it, I hope you guys will rate and comment on any changes needed. Yes I know this is cheap, that is the point. Also if you would like to change an pokemon PLEASE PLEASE make it as cheap as possible but not to the detriment of the team.

Thanks

Yoz
  2. JadeX

JadeX

Infernape Lead's fake out would have shattered your Ninjask combo -.-"
    I like your Tyranitar and Jirachi being scarfed , seriously =D

You might want to try Azelf in place of Jirachi if you're not aiming for the Hax .
    Azelf have higher speed and attack + Explosion .
  3. VulcanFenrir

VulcanFenrir

Well for one you have a huge inability to switch in on Electric attacks. If Rotom-H gets sent out on your Gyarados then hits Will-o-Wisp on the switch, the only pokemon who would get hurt by it would be Latias and Ninjask who, in the current metagame, gets eaten by taunt. Rotom also owns Latias on the next switch with Shadow Ball. Switching in ScarfTar on WoW results in pursuit being 50% of it's normal attack and that's on the switch, leaving Latias and Rotom to freely come in. Rotom can also come in on Scizor's Superpower, hit trick leaving you to switch out unless you are spamming Bullet Punch, which would be doing next to nothing and plus staying in on Rotom H who most likely has Overheat would be suicide for Scizor. All that's left now is for him to WoW on the switch.

I know that seems more like battle strategy but I thought I should just point out why Rotom ruins your team. ScarfTar wrecks Latias and Gyara and currently Scizor/Jirachi are the only pokemon to switch in that wouldn't get hurt by SE too badly (Latias would die to Pursuit so it would be revenge killing at that point). On top of that both of your Revenge killers are weak to fire (Do I smell HP Fire owning both?) and Celibi, if played right, counters Gyara, has HP fire, Thunder wave, and can recover and stall with Grass Knot for residual damage.

Lastly there is the issue of Gliscor. Taunt wrecks all of your Set-ups, EQ Wrecks Jirachi, and Toxic hits all but Scizor and Jirachi whom for the reason above would not like to switch in as Bullet Punch does 21% on average to Gliscor, and EQ/Taunt on Scizor is just a forced switch. Toxicing anything you switch in would be painful as both pokemon above are weak to Gliscor with Jirachi having Ice Punch as the only counter on your team.

Protecting on first turn with Ninjask makes you Fire Blast weak and then all you pass is Speed which is outdone by Azelf exploding (He carries both moves and so does Heatran)

What I suggest is take out Ninjask. It seems nice to BP +6 Speed and maybe some attack, but Suicide leads and Aerodactyl own it hard. Stone Edge/Rock Slide would kill Ninjask and since Aero carries taunt Ninjask would get owned. Take out Ninjask and run Celebi.

Celebi covers your Vaporeon weakness and Swampert weakness. Unless the anti Scizor knows pursuit it's countered. Celebi also gives a nice counter to Gyarados, can BP if you absolutely must run it like that, knows SR, and can outstall quite a bit. Natual Cure means you could switch in Celebi on WoW from Rotom and switch out back to a better counter, although if he hits WoW on Scarftar, it's kind of useless. Celebi can also Toxic shield for you from Gliscor and then allow you to switch into Latias poison free and ready to surf. ScarfTar could be handled by Jirachi and Scizor but if he switches in on Latias then you might as well say bye. As a suggestion you could run HP Fighting (Although it's not too practical) or run a status move such as T Wave for extra support and with Gyara should be pretty good. ScarfTar is Latias' hardest counter and as such should be expected, so HP Fighting wouldn't be horrible. It also handles your dark weakness, if there was one.

Here are my changes thus far:

Celebi@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    Natural Cure ability
    EVs: 252 HP/220 Speed 36/Special Attack
    Moveset:
    Grass Knot
    HP Fire
    Recover
    Thunder Wave

This Celebi is pretty fast, paralyzes leads, eliminates the threat of swampert, and only switches out on Infernape and Heatran, although it wouldn't benefit from staying in on Aerodactyl as Taunt would just allow it to set up SR. There's also the reasons above for keeping this. While it does have similar weaknesses to Ninjask, this guy can actually outstall quite a few pokemon and run really well. If you want you could take off HP Fire for SR but HP Fire kills Scizor and other Jirachi's looking to set up.

Latias should keep everything the same but running T Wave or HP Fighting could help it take out ScarfTar threats, although this is just an idea.
  4. Yoz

Yoz

I like the Celebi Lead idea, TBH I was only running Ninjask as I couldn't think of a lead which would fit in well and anyway Celebi is one of my favs, yay. I'll give the Celebi lead a try and if it works I'll put it on the RMT.
  5. Yoz

Yoz

I tried Breloom in the orignal team but it failed miserably and didn't fit in well.
  6. jc104

jc104 Humblest person ever
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Definitely go for Taunt over Thunder Wave on Gyara if your team remains as it is. Your team is pretty fast (and Scizor can bypass speed), but could have some trouble against walls. However, I can see some potential for making your team take better advantage of Twave.

As for the lead, celebi sounds good but I would go for a faster set, with leaf storm, something like the lead from the soon-to-be archived team by Pride and DJX09. Something like timid 232hp 60spatk 216spe, Leaf Storm/Twave/U-turn/SR. Also, I would go for Occa berry so that you can set up SR on Infernape and Heatran reliably. This guarantees a 2HKO on Aerodactyl with leaf storm whilst outrunning Gliscor.

At current you may have some serious trouble with DDmence, given that it outruns your entire team after a DD and takes little from Scizor's unboosted bullet punch. I would therefore consider putting a CB on Scizor, adding to its cheapness with U-turn spamming. You could then even try taking the scarf off Jirachi, and running the Sub + Twave set, which is by far the cheapest and most irritating set available. This would really take advantage of the spreading of Thunderwave.

That is neither Latias' cheapest nor most effective set. I would either opt for Choice Specs, for its superior Draco Meteor-spamming prowess, or for a defensive support set. Latias could use Reflect, Wish, or Thunderwave to provide useful support.

Also, in terms of cheap stuff, no Machamp or Offensive Suicune? Both are notoriously difficult to counter, and will often lead to the sacrifice of several pokemon just to take them down. Both also make pretty good use of any spreading of thunderwave, so should be considered.

Good luck.
  7. Yoz

Yoz

I have tried the Latias support set because I thought it would do well, but it failed as well. However, Specs sounds good.
    TBH I don't think I need SR on this team due to the raw high atk power and the ability to OHKO many things with just one boost. I may put on Leaf Storm instead of Grass Knot though for pure power which seems to be a trend in this team.
    I only have 6 slots which can be filled and all have to work together. I considered both Machamp and Cune but neither fitted well.
  8. Yoz

Yoz

I've made major changes to the Lead and changed Latias to Specs.

I've now made some edits to Jirachi after a brainwave.

Please Rate and Comment Guys.
  9. Yoz

Yoz

Some people have suggested Heatran over Latias, however I need more opinions
  10. Crim09

Crim09

On Gyarados I personally like to have stone edge vs. Bounce. Even though stone edge has 80% accuracy it has saved my butt multiple times aagainst poke's like Suicine, opposing gyara, Zapdos and a few others. But that I think is just a personal choice. Latias is now banned in OU though so you might want to rethink using that. I also personally back taunt over thunder wave on gyara, it is a lot easier to get free DD's using taunt and stopping other poke's from phazing or boosting their own stats.
  11. Yoz

Yoz

TBH I tried all that you suggested but Bounce worked better to deal with fighting types which I had problems with and T-Wave worked so much better after I made the recent changes, however yes, Taunt was a good option, something which worked previously. TBH I don't need to get the DD to get the kills but if I do generally I have won unless there is something faster. The same with Scizor except he use SD and only if something resists Bullet Punch or Super Power. *Cough* Gyarados *Cough*

And yes LATIAS IS BANNED, PLEASE DO NOT TELL ME THIS, I KNOW, PLEASE SUGGEST A REPLACEMENT.
  12. VulcanFenrir

VulcanFenrir

Yoz, I suggest SpecsMence as he is pretty cheap and is being considered for banning to Ubers. I only recommend SpecsMence as it would be similar to Latias, but there are so many viable options for you to run. I personally like DDMence more because there are virtually NO counters for Mence and even a Scarftar trying to SE for the kill can't outspeed +1 Mence which kills him with a +1 EQ. This set would also handle Gross unless you are against AgiliGross which could be troublesome but I'm not sure if it would kill Mence for sure as intimidate switch ins could stop it's sweeps. The build for DDMence is as follows:

Salamence@Life Orb
    Naive nature
    Intimidate ability
    EVs: 24 Sp. Atk/232 Atk/252 Spe
    Moveset:
    Fire Blast
    Earthquake
    Dragon Dance
    Outrage

LO Recoil damage might be troublesome but Fire Blast takes out alot of Steels with Metagross being the one in question. Be careful of ScarfMie however as it can OHKO a +1 Mence which Ice Beam. However Celebi EASILY blocks it as it resists Thunderbolt, Surf, and can take Ice Beams. So in this respect even if they know or predict a switch then it won't matter (Even if they use psychic which is somewhat rare).

The next problem I see with your team is the weaknesses to ground and fire, Salamence would cover these and so does Gyarados but SR Limits their switch ins and makes Infernape dangerous as he can hit Jirachi, Scizor, Tyranitar, and Celebi for huge damage and if he runs HP Ice can easily kill Salamence. Gyarados being the only counter pokemon it could be very dangerous if Gyara goes down for your entire team. Now the only other pokemon currently able to kill Ape on your team is Jirachi with Zen Headbutt and since it's scarfed it stands a chance but I don't have the calculations on damage atm.

Either way I don't know another good counter for Ape without disrupting your team but just thought I should bring this to your intention especially with Salamence almost getting banned and a supposed increase in Apes in standard.
  13. Yoz

Yoz

I completely agree with you about Ape, especially because of the predicted huge rise in Ape numbers. Right now Ape isn't such a problem, I guess that was because of Latias and the low number of good players who ran him, but I bet soon it'll start. Zen Headbutt OHKO's Min Def Infernape without SR so I guess I'm safe in that respect and will probably give my enemy a little shock. Scarftar I also believe OHKO's Scarfless Infernape with EQ.

I dislike Outrage sooo much but it nets me valuable OHKO's. I'll give it a go
  14. LickThePaint

LickThePaint

Yeah, Specs Menace would be good... A set of something like Draco Meteor / Hydro Pump / Fire Blast / filler would work.
    Maybe Outrage as a filler so it can hurt bliss?
  15. Akita Neru

Akita Neru

Like I've already said on Shoddy, I like the team idea and all.
    How do you handle Skarmory?
    Especially he is a pain in the ass for my team when in conjuction with Swampert.
  16. Yoz

Yoz

I've posted major Updates on my team now that Latias is gone, it deals with the whole set, Skarm/Blissey/Pert, walled by only Gyarados and sorts many of my problems.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)