The Competitor Feedback

Which article(s) did you like from Issue #2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
The Competitor Staff is currently brainstorming ideas for Issue #3, and we'd like to know your feedback on the magazine to get a better idea of what you guys want. Feel free to post any sort of feedback, criticism, etc. that you have on any issue so that we know what you want to see.

If you need the links on released issues, here they are:

Issue #2
Issue #1

The Competitor Staff is always looking for any new authors, artists, and ideas. As always, you are welcome to suggest ideas in a PM to The Competitor [PM]

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
most of the content in competitor is awesome to read.

bloo/iconic interview by atticus dee host.

I don't really like the "serious" coverage. In both issues, the information has been both outdated and inaccurate, and most people already know what happened anyway. Stick with the parody / funny articles.

the primary purpose of the 'serious' articles is not to inform, it's shine some light on players who have scored victories in small tournaments, something that wasn't being recognized prior to the competitor's release.

edit: [5:37pm] yondie: also iconic i believe snunch was referring to articles like the ln one

o okay i guess that makes a little more sense, but i still think those articles are important because not everyone is in the inner circle with these kinds of things

Fabbles

LN_Slayer
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't really like the "serious" coverage. In both issues, the information has been both outdated and inaccurate, and most people already know what happened anyway. Stick with the parody / funny articles.
I just want to say I completely disagree with this line of thinking. I respect what the Competitor is trying to do, but the last issue seemed to be really lacking in a few departments:

First off, actual coverage of SPL: Bias for my team aside, there was no coverage of what actually happened in SPL. The "coverage" given was literally a recap of week 2 in which the only thing described was what order the battles took place. To me, that is such a crime. If the standings were not given on the first page (and by the time it came out they were already outdated) a person not following SPL would not have known anything about what is happening in SPL if they read the Competitor. That just does not make sense.

I understand writing about "serious" coverage is not as easy as the other articles that have been done, considering a lot of the "funny" articles can be written quite easily and only needs to be done by one person. But it can be done. Have up to date stuff: interview players, managers of the relevant teams. Ask questions like "What were you thinking going into Week 7 against the Ruiners?" or "What were you preparing for before you faced McMeghan?" These kind of things, while being "serious" can be very insightful and good to read, instead of just stating what order the battles happened in 4 weeks previous to the current week. Would it really have been that hard to write even just a brief summary of what has happened recently in SPL, such as stating that the top 4 teams are undefeated against the rest of the teams?

Don't get me wrong, the "funny" articles are good, when they are done correctly. I enjoyed Jabba's tabloids, but when you have the Competitor full of "funny" articles, it gets a little out of hand.

If we really want to take tournament coverage seriously, then we need to make a lot of the content serious in nature. I'm sure there is a good combination of serious and funny articles. I apologize for coming off as overly critical - I appreciate the effort that's been put in to get this off the ground and running. I just don't think it's headed in the right direction.

Scimjara

Bert Stare
is a Tutor Alumnus
I just want to say I completely disagree with this line of thinking. I respect what the Competitor is trying to do, but the last issue seemed to be really lacking in a few departments:

First off, actual coverage of SPL: Bias for my team aside, there was no coverage of what actually happened in SPL. The "coverage" given was literally a recap of week 2 in which the only thing described was what order the battles took place. To me, that is such a crime. If the standings were not given on the first page (and by the time it came out they were already outdated) a person not following SPL would not have known anything about what is happening in SPL if they read the Competitor. That just does not make sense.

I understand writing about "serious" coverage is not as easy as the other articles that have been done, considering a lot of the "funny" articles can be written quite easily and only needs to be done by one person. But it can be done. Have up to date stuff: interview players, managers of the relevant teams. Ask questions like "What were you thinking going into Week 7 against the Ruiners?" or "What were you preparing for before you faced McMeghan?" These kind of things, while being "serious" can be very insightful and good to read, instead of just stating what order the battles happened in 4 weeks previous to the current week. Would it really have been that hard to write even just a brief summary of what has happened recently in SPL, such as stating that the top 4 teams are undefeated against the rest of the teams?

Don't get me wrong, the "funny" articles are good, when they are done correctly. I enjoyed Jabba's tabloids, but when you have the Competitor full of "funny" articles, it gets a little out of hand.

If we really want to take tournament coverage seriously, then we need to make a lot of the content serious in nature. I'm sure there is a good combination of serious and funny articles. I apologize for coming off as overly critical - I appreciate the effort that's been put in to get this off the ground and running. I just don't think it's headed in the right direction.
Agreeing with Fabbles on this, that the competitor can benefit from having some more serious coverage.

Give Scimjara an interview since he is undefeated.

I liked the competitor so far, but balance out the lighthearted coverage with the serious coverage.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Im agreeing with what Fabbles said.

But i also think that general coverage (x beats y and a beats b in week z) is rather boring. I think interviews of several succesful players could bring more to the table, exspecially when you ask them what thier mindset was for certain battles and other competitive Pkmn-related stuff.

And im honestly not a friend of the 'suck my dick and i suck yours'-theme. That isnt even remotely funny when you read it nonstop.

Thats all my criticism for now, the Competitor is definitely an enjoyable read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)