1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Covering

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Atothej103, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Atothej103

Atothej103

The bible speaks of a group of warriors so mysterious and powerful, no force on earth has ever matched its skill and camaraderie. Selected and led by King David on the run from Saul as the premier fighting force the world has ever seen. Forming the core of David’s army were the three: Ishbosheth son of Saul, Shammah the Hararite, and Eleazar the Ahohite. The Hittite and Benaiah were also both loyal servants of David and served as generals once he was King. This team is based on the connection these men shared and the deceptive nature of their fighting style that is unexpectedly agile and extremely effective. In battle this group was said to be protected by “the covering” or God’s spirit.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Show Hide
    Teambuilding:

[CENTER[​IMG][/CENTER]

I want my team will to be protected by the covering so I needed some sort of weather. What better covering than Ninetales’ sunlight, pure and simple.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I now needed a few pokemon to abuse the sunlight. Venuaur was the obvious choice as the main sun sweeper. Not much needs to be said about this choice pretty self explanatory.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now I wanted a fire type to also benefit from the covering. Volcarona was a nice choice and formed the main attacking core for many of the RMT’s that I explored.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I found it extremely had to set up though with it getting wrecked by stealth rock and the ever present pink blobs and with so many special attackers on this team, I wanted a physical attacker to step up. What is more deceptive than a tiny little mon with a V on his head? V-create Victini has been an amazing asset to this team and literally plows through anything in its way with the sun up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In order to maximize Vicitini’s potential at a sweep, I wanted trick room support. To make this team as deceptive as possible I decided to go with another abuser, choice band Snorlax, and Bronzong to set up trick room. These guys were great, but I found other sun teams challenging.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I replaced Snorlax andBronzong with Porygon2 and Chandelure. Both of these pokes can set up trick room and effectively use it to take out many of the pokemon that give my two sweepers trouble, while Chandelure is able to block rapid spin.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Finally, I needed to decide between entry hazards, more offensive support (especially against rain and sand teams), priority moves and rapid spin. This was a really hard decision for me and one I am still playing around with but it looks like Rotom – W is the leading candidate at the moment.

The Team:

[​IMG]

King David (Ninetales) (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]

This guy is the boss. He provides the sunlight, a quick sun boosted Fire Blast to the face of anything that doesn’t resist it. Its real beauty though is its ability to counter the other weather inducers. Assuming I am able to get a Nasty Plot on the change, David is able to OHKO all but the bulkiest variants of the opposing weather pokemon with the correct move. Unfortunately, it is desirable to know which set they are running first so that you aren’t surprise killed by choice scarf varieties of either. Overall this thing works great and with its base 100 speed and 252 IV’s it is able to outspeed and kill various threats both in and out of trick room.

[​IMG]

Benaiah (Victini) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk
    Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
    - V-create
    - Fusion Bolt
    - Substitute
    - Trick Room

I can’t say enough about this guy. He is the general of this team and completely owns most of the metagame with its stab V-create under the sun. There is hardly anything that isn’t 2HKO’d by this guy and with trick room in effect, it just keeps getting faster. 100/100/100 defenses are clutch as well. Benaiah can live weaker Earthquakes and set up trick room, as well as only take around 40% from Choice Band Scizor’s Bullet Punch at -2 defense and proceed to OHKO. It laughs at opposing fire types that don’t have flash fire, as they are usually OHKO’d under the sun as well. I chose Substitute over U-turn because I was getting revenge killed by Sucker Punch Toxicroak, Extreme Speed Dragonite and other priority attacks. Plus having a Sub up means I can set up Trick Room again after it expires.

[​IMG]

Ishbosheth (Chandelure) (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 212 HP / 46 Def / 252 SAtk
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Fire Blast
    - Shadow Ball
    - Energy Ball/Hidden Power [Ground]

Ishbosheth is part of the Three, forming the defensive and trick room core of this team. I can’t say how many times this guy has saved the game for me. Air Balloon is the perfect item for him, as Heatran lacking a third move aside form Fire Blast and Earth Power is helpless. Many people fail to read the Air Balloon message and I end up getting a free turn as they uselessly try to Earthquake me. Useful immunities to Fire, Fighting, and Normal are all boons for this fiery ghost. Huge special attack boosted by a Quiet nature is nothing to laugh at. This guy can put a huge hole in pretty much anything the opposition can throw at me and has great synergy with Porygon2 as it can take the fighting type attacks aimed at it while transferring ghost type moves to Porygon2.

[​IMG]

The Hittite (Venusaur) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 212 HP / 46 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Growth
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Energy Ball

The Hittite is an absolute monster. To quote Lil Wayne, “He's a beast he's a dog, he's a problem" Okay you're a goon, but what's a goon to a goblin?” This guy just pummels everything in his path (aside from Heatran and Chandelure) after a Growth in the sunlight. It works well with this team, even though it is a chlorophyll poke in Trick Room. It can usually come in with one turn left in Trick Room, scare something away while it gets a Growth in, and proceed to sweep most unprepared teams. Sludge Bomb over Sleep Powder Because I like the accuracy more and most dragons I try to put asleep are carrying Lum Berry so I end up dying even if it hits. With Sludge Bomb, I can just KO or really hurt it.

[​IMG]

Shammah (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 6 SDef
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - Trick Room
    - Recover
    - Ice Beam
    - Thunderbolt

Shammah, the mighty one, is all about defense and power. With Eviolite, there isn’t much that can OHKO it, so it can set up Trick Room most of the time and switch out to Chandelure to take a fighting type attack aimed at it. Increasing its special attack is a tactic I got from the Smogon article on Porygon2 and I am extremely pleased with the results. It is able to take a hit while setting up trick room then absolutely destroy a sweepers such as Gyarados, Landorous, and Haxorous with its bolt beam combination. Trace is also an amazing ability to have when taking on Heatran, making its sun boosted stab moves useless.

[​IMG]

Eleazar (Rotom-W) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 128 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Sunny Day
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

I needed something that could help me with both Politoed and Tyranitar and my team’s huge weakness to Ground type moves in general. Rotom-W is able to two hit KO both of these threats while taking minimal damage form each of their attacks. It is also able to switch into Gound attacks after Victini’s Trick Room support runs out. I would love Stealth Rock support but after testing various users, this guy was much more helpful. This guys works well with the team both giving support and being able to get clutch KO’s.
  2. Snorlaxe

Snorlaxe 2 kawaii 4 u
    is a Contributor Alumnus

cool team, but theres some problems to address. first of all, you have three glaring weaknesses to ground-type attacks, but only one pokemon that resists them, which means dealing with earthquake users is gonna be tricky. you also completely lack a resistance to dragon- and rock-type moves, which is a huge problem, as some of the most threatening pokemon in the game (namely dragonite and terrakion, respectively) utilize such attacks.

in order to fix this problem, i think one of your fire-types is gonna have to go. ninetales is obviously irreplaceable, and i think that victini is too useful to let go, so chandelure should probably be replaced. i think the best pokemon to replace it with is a tank bronzong (the first set found here), as this gives you a ground, dragon, and rock resistance, as well as access to stealth rock (an important hazard which your team currently lacks). even though bronzong is weak to fire, youre still packing three solid fire resistances, so it's not too big of a deal.

i know you say you dont like sleep powder on venusaur, but i think it might be worth a shot over sludge bomb. sludge bomb is mostly used to hit dragon-types that resist energy ball, right? well, dragons are already covered well by porygon2 and (if you choose to add it to your team) bronzong. sleep powder is great because you can pretty much take out one of the opposing pokemon from the match permanently, giving you a huge advantage over the opponent. i also think life orb could be worth a shot over leftovers on venusaur. lefties is good, but life orb gives you an extra kick and allows you to secure some important koes. the extra power life orb gives is especially helpful because you arent running any entry hazards at the moment, so this will allow you to whittle down the opposing mons health more quickly.

you should also probably try out a timid nature on ninetales. while i realize this will limit the amount of mons you can outspeed in trick room, it will make dealing with threats much easier outside of trick room. ninetales is hardly bulky, and seeing as you'll be operating outside of trick room most of the time, being able to outspeed as much as possible is important.

if you find that revenge killing some threats is proving tough, you could always try changing rotom-w to a choice scarf variants. im not sure how well you handle threats when using this team, so its up to whether or not this would be a beneficial change. im just throwing it out there.

i like the trick room + sun concept this team utilizes, its original and seems pretty effective. good luck with your team!
  3. Jmaculas

Jmaculas

Do realise that water moves damage gets halfed in sun? I guess rotom is still good against ttar when it changes the whether but after that it just has 2 useable moves in its movespots left.

Also I think your should change energy ball to giga-drain to suit the bulky EVs you gave venusuar 5 power for semi-reliable recovery seems like a logical trade.

Substitute seems out of place on Victini. Fire has the poor disadvantage to being weak to SR and Spikes and the HP used up for subs really limits the switch-in capabilities of victini with out a spinner. I recommend brick break which normally 2HKO standard balloonTran which will cause big problems to your team especially if you do decided to run energyball over hp ground on your chandelure or do take snorlaxe's suggestion of replacing it with bronzong.
  4. Delko

Delko "ghost mod"
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Hi

This is quite an original team so good job on that.

I like the suggestions made by Snorlaxe and I second all of them, although I think something like Donphan can fit over his Bronzong suggestion as well. It basically covers the same things (resistance to Rock, Dragon killer, setting up SR) but Donphan is also able to Rapid Spin. Seeing Ninetales and Victini are on your team, this can become crucial for winning the weather war. And although it cannot set it up himself, Donphan can abuse Trick Room too thanks to it's low speed and pretty good attack stat. A moveset of Stealth Rock / Rapid Spin / Earthquake / Ice Shard will suffice. The standard EV-spread of 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with an Adamant nature will be good enough as well. Leftovers as the obvious hold item.

Oh and one last nitpick, since you are using a more offensive Porygon2 set, you could also consider changing its ability to Download which can boost it's surprisingly high special attack stat even more.

@ Jmaculas: Giga Drain is illegal with Chlorophyl on Venusaur though, so that's not possible.

Hope this helped and good luck with this team!
  5. Gregar

Gregar

Hey,

Just pitching in my 2 cents, sort of building on what Delko said.

Donphan is a good pokémon, but it takes Spikes AND Toxic Spikes damage, severly limiting the amount of Spins you get, especially vs. Tentacruel. That's why I prefer Claydol. With Levitate, it doesn't take Spikes or Toxic Spikes damage and it's resistant to Rock.

Downside is that Claydol's secondary typing (psychic) make it weak to Pursuit. Depends on what you're more afraid of.

High Five for using Trace Porygon2, more people need to know of it's juicy goodness!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)