The Dangers - An Anti-Meta Stall

Team:The Dangers
Not really where I got the team's name from, but it seemed cool to me at the time for the most part lol. It's like those dangerous things you'd see when camping in the woods, like a bathtub with a toaster in it, or a giant bear about to eat your food then you and your friends, and a chainsaw murderer who will chase you through the woods saying you don't get mauled alive by the bear, shits dangerous just like this team.

I've been re-working on this stall team, lately. I made it a few weeks ago but and used a bit when it was new but then I, stoped playing with it for whatever reason... then this week picked it back up, and well, I changed a few things, played a bunch of games with it on the PO server, and found a few weaknesses and things I've filtered out already.
It's peaked at 301 on the beta server with 1329 ladder points on the name Wheelix, and I'd like to get a higher peak with it, and see what other people have to say about this team.

Mostly I wanted to be immune to, and resist as many things as possible, which is always a good idea to have behind a stall team, and I tried to harness immunity's to the best of my ability, weather it be through ability or typing. The only problem with having ability's that give immunity, is that it leaves my team weak to pokemon like Porygon2 who have trace.
Team Building Process:

I started off with Zapdos since he has two immunity's he looks bad-ass, and I wanted to try out a set a friend of mine suggested.

I added my FWG core in here, with Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Suicune. Some nice immunitys and resistances in this core.

Adding Gliscor to resist a ton of physical things, like Dory and Roob was pretty cool, while also being a good way to stop Breloom.

For my last guy I wasn't sure about, so I tried a CB Dragonite, it was pretty cool but I decided I'd switch it up and picked my new last member....

Xatu, to remove the need for a spinner if I predict right, and to pretty much backfire any non attacking moves back at the opponent. A different role than Dragonite, but I wanted to have less of a need for offensive pokes, and this guy helped a lot and helps the team function pretty well.

Team at a glance!

GET A STIFFY (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 240 HP / 144 Def / 28 SAtk / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Discharge
- Substitute
- Roost

Zapdos, this guy's job is to spread para throughout the other guys team. It's very bulky, and with HP Ice can efficantly stop Gliscor and some dragon types. This team revolves around being immune to as much as possible while slowly killing the opponent, and with its nice bulk two immunitys, and ability to cripple some sweepers who would otherwise give me a lot of trouble, make
this guy one of my MVP's of the team. Usually I run sub + toxic but HP Ice, and T-wave work pretty well for me, seeing as I can switch to one of my two steels, Gliscor, or Xatu to block toxic from crippling Zapdos. This guy comes in on electric moves and just zaps anything that switches in, weather it be with T-wave or Bolt. This guy isn't the best lead but, most people won't know what to expect, and while Heatran or Ferro could do a better job, the randomness, and usually catching something who will just resist electric or revealing their ground type, who I can switch to deal with or HP Ice it, helps more for me. If I lead with Ferro and they switch to Esp/Xatu for magic mirror, I would be at a bad spot, while for this case they will have to try and figure out what I'm going to do, and 75% of the time have something paralized/dented from this just from the start. It's great bulk allows it to get the Twave off on some heavy hitters and allow me to kill them later on much easier.

Edit - Changed from Tbolt/Twave/HP/Roost to the new set above, discharge can get some paras, and I can sub to block status and for an extra turn of scouting. Might try out Roar over Sub depending on how much it helps and messing around with new EV's but not sure on an exact spread that I'll be using yet.

Synergy-
Ice:

Rock:

NOT IN WIFI (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Roar
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]

This Suicune set's pretty weird, at least IMO. Toxic is so he can beat other bulky waters, who otherwise he wouldn't, and HP Grass, to stop Quagsire, Gastrodon, and other waters. He's very bulky and with a water immunity this gen, he's even better. Most will expect a rest-talker with roar or calm mind, so this get's that surprise value allowing me to get off a toxic to cripple an un-expecting foe. Roar is good for phasing, since Suicune's natural bulk usually let's it get one off if needed to. Sometimes this thing gets crippled by status if I'm not careful so I'm thinking maybe rest over HP or Roar, but I can't decide. I had HP Electric over Grass but, realizing I had nothing for Quag, and the likes, on my whole team besides Toxic, made me change over. Electric handled Gyarados, but I can phase them with this, and KO later on with Zapdos, while walling it with Ferrothorn, so it all works out for the better.

Edit - Changed EV's to 252/252/4 cause the sp attack wasn't really doing anything for me. Gonna play around with Rest on this guy and will post on how it goes.

Synergy-
Electric:

Grass:

SAWSBUCK SUX (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Lave Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute
- Roar

I love Heatran, mostly defensive ones. From Tormentran, Tauntoxic sets, to this one. He's an amazing special wall, and my source of SR. With sub I can scout for a turn, phase, set up rocks or get a little damage with flamethrower. This guy has a ton of resistances, great bulk and fits in well on pretty much any team. He forces switches against pokes like Ferrothorn, which will get me a tad more residual damage which always helps out. I mostly wanted to have something bulky, who could use rocks, and phase, also while being not 100% obvious about what I was doing to battlers I haven't played before, and this guy is perfect.

Edit - Changed Flamethrower to LP, yeah its better and gets burns not sure why I didn't have it before xD

Synergy-
Fighting:

Ground:

Water:

MISDIMENUR (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn...we all know the deal here. Super wall, stops rain, set's up and so on. I used to not like this guy at the beginning of this generation, but after a while I've grown to like him and use him a lot more. This guy can fit on to almost any team, and provide it with an excellent source of support. This guy set's up spikes, and stalls with leech seed + protect, and gyro's when I have nothing else to do, which dent's a lot of the faster threats who are sent in, onto this..thing/creature/monster/iron spiked ball with tentacles. I can send this guy in on most physical attacks, despite me not having to much investment in defense, and return some damage with my barbs, then protect for lefties, and seed to get my health back, all while slowly deteriorating their team with residual effects.

Synergy-
Fighting:

Fire:

D.A.D.T (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance

The standard Gliscor, this guy gives me some great ground immunity, a nice status absorb-er, and a fight resist that helps a lot for Ferro and Heatran. This guy is pretty damn bulky, and can taunt, then set up and get some KO's which could save my ass. This guy is my best answer to Reunclius, who otherwise kills my team if its a last stand and un-phaseable, by taunting then setting up and KO'ing it with earthquake. He also stops Ferro from setting up if Xatu is knocked out already, and other pokes who will try to set up. If I have the effect of toxic orb activated this is my first switch in for Breloom, seeing as it's bulkier and can taunt/SD/IF loom and get a nice advantage over it. Gliscor is pretty much a beast and a top class pokemon, and his status immunity, bulk and resistances made him a perfect candidate for this team.

Synergy-
Ice:

Water:

Heather (Xatu) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Psychic

Good ol' Xatu. Saving me from spikes and rocks, reflecting(pun xD) status aliments back at the foe, stopping taunters...ah the list goes on. Magic Mirror is an amazing ability, and only shared by this birdie, and Espeon. I took Xatu for the job, because I wanted to be as immune to Toxic Spikes, and normal Spikes as possible. I try to be as careful as possible to prevent them from getting hazards up against my team since I rely on switching a lot to keep synergy going with a healthy team all around. In the scenario they get Spikes, SR, and/or Toxic Spikes up, I will only have Suicune taking Toxic Spike damage, and on my other stall teams where I don't have MM, or ones without Rapid Spin, T-Spikes usually..well destroys me in the long run. Without a weakness to T-Spikes, and Toxic in general, I can stall for a bit longer which is what I am aiming to do, it's the most fun for me and the longer I can last and better score I have at the end makes the game more fun for me. The flying type makes t-spikes not a problem and sometimes I can let them get a layer up if Suicune's already statused, giving me a turn to do something else instead of play switching games to Xatu, and save her for when I need it.

Edit - Only chagned ev's from the 80 in speed to its special attack, more damage to Gliscor/Roob. I was suggested to make it more bulky, and It wasn't a giant difference so I changed to sp attack so I could well..kill things faster lol.

Synergy-
Electric:

Rock:

Dark:

Ice:

Importable for those who want to give it a test run.
GET A STIFFY (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Trait: Lightningrod
EVs: 240 HP / 144 Def / 28 SAtk / 96 SDef
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Roost

NOT IN WIFI (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Roar
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]

SAWSBUCK SUX (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Substitute
- Roar

MISDIMENUR (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

D.A.D.T (Gliscor) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance

Heather (Xatu) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Reflect
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Roost
- Psychic

Well that's it, let me know what you think about my team, and what I can do to improve it. Half of my pokes are flying so, maybe if I replaced Xatu, or anyone a spinner would be helpful, but I haven't been having to much trouble with hazard unless they try very hard to get them up by spamming SR randomly, which sometimes works.
But yeah, onto the threats.
Threats??
Mostly sun teams are what get to me the most, with phasing from Heatran and Suicune with SR and a layer or two of spikes being my best bet to get an advantage against them, but if Heatran dies, I'm usually at a big disadvantage and lose eventually against well made sun teams. Any suggestions on how to patch up this sun weakness? Any pokemon you would change for something else?
Also, if Thunderus get's set up I am pretty much screwed but thats how it is for a lot of teams so yeah >_>
And Porygon2, is a big problem for me if I can't get it toxic'd. With Trace and that amazing bulk, I can't really kill it easily because it makes most of my pokemon, have troubles with it because, ironically they resist their own stab moves after Pory steals their ability.
Those are the main, worse of the worse, top threats that I've encountered, most are stop-able but with a lot of effort.

And uh..sorry if I left anything out, if I did let me know so I can fix xD

All I have to say is DAMNN! This is a great stall team, only thing I'd say is to maybe put 252 Ev's in Suicunes defense, so it's like

252 Hp l 252 Def l 4 SpA

Although, that's just an opinion, if you need the special attack to hit hard with a STAB Surf, be my guest on that one.

Also, just a question, but why not put 252 Ev's into Xatu's defense ? Did you put 80 into speed so that you could outspeed Fighting threats, or grass threats like maybe a Tangrowth or such ? I'm not sure on that one, just a suggestion though.

Besides that, AMAZING team man, I hope to battle you sometime as I'm working on a Ferrothorn based Semi-Stall team.

thanks, well the speed allows me to outspeed breloom(unless its jolly), and some varients of gliscor who will be 2hko'd by HP ice. But good suggestion on the ev's, I'll do a test and see how he works with a lower speed; since xatu can take the hits from the things hes faster than either way and try a even more bulky spread and see how that works out
yeah I was messign with the ev's and wanted a little more punch to hurt bulky waters more who only take 2x from hp grass since its just a few ev's it doesn't impact it that much, atleast nothing to noticeable and with reflect going a lot it makes up for it.
and if you ever see me on message me and we can have a go alpha xD thanks for the rate

No problem dude, any time. Also, I've found that this heatran hits really nicely on Bulky waters, and can actually switch in to be a revenge killer / Special Sweep

Specially Offensive Heatran @ Air Balloon / Leftovers
Timid Nature
Ev's : 252 SpA l 4 SpD l 252 Spe
~ Fire Blast
~ Earth Power
~ Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
~ Stealth Rock

Hits Ferrothorn and Skarmory hard, and HP Grass can take out things like Jellicent / Vaporeon or Swampert. HP Ice is for new threats such as Hydreigon / Haxorus and Grass types you may have issues with.

<Additional Comments> :
Ferrothorn can set up rocks if you want to, but Heatran makes use of SR quite nicely as well. If you want, you can run Modest nature with Leftovers, so not only will Heatran survive longer but it will hit things like Skamory a lot harder. Timid is if you want to outspeed things, and the choice is yours for the Hidden Power.

Hope I helped ! :)

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Not entirely. Espeon has no reliable recovery, since Morning Sun gets nerfed by the rain and sand that is incredibly common in this tier. Xatu also has a neutrality to Bug and 4x Fighting resist, in exchange for an SR weakness, which it should be reflecting.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Wouldn't you want a Spinblocker on this sort of team? Suicune would probably have to go for a Ghost.

Also, I played with Roar Zapdos, and it's great in wracking up damages. I'd consider giving it Roar and Discharge over Tbolt and TWave. However, I do see the advantage of paralysis on this slow team of yours. This is a matter of preference.

Also rather than balancing out Zapdos's defense, I would consider specializing it into a Physical Wall or Special Wall. I personally feel that Zapdos is more fit as a Special Wall, allowing it to survive a Specs Draco Meteor from Latios much more comfortably, for example.

1. Toxic covers Quagsire just fine; Cune can stall it out plenty, so remove HP Grass for Rest.
2. On Tran, Lava Pume>Flamethrower, and 2 Phazers on the same team seems a bit redundant.
3. I'm a huge Xatu fan and all, but I'm missin' HP Ice. THere's better moves you could use in that slot; U-turn, HP Flying, remove Roost and go WishTect, etc.

Other than that, amazing team!

@pocket - yeah rapid spin does get to me alot so i was thinking a ghost. I might go with jellicent over suicune to have a spinblocker, but I can usually switch to ferro and get a little residual from the spin and a spike/seed on their switch reducing the spinners longitivity.
I've tried roar/lightscreen/roost/bolt zapdos before and it worked pretty well for me I might try discharge and have sub/roar over the extra slot, nice suggestion.
I might try a more spdef bulky spread and give him a little speed so he can outspeed loom too.

@porii , i will do a few tests with rest over hp grass and see how it works. I like rest with set up sets and wanted to try out that set to get rid of bulky waters quicker by attacking while they lose health from toxic.
ah yeah, i used to have taunt/toxic/protect/flamethrower then changed the three filler moves and never changed thrower to plume whoops xD. but i like having a few phasers so I will be able to rack up residual and stop set up pokes who wouldnt be expecting it.
for xatu I might try hp flyfire as i have done on other teams but ice catches gliscor off guard and that saves me a bunch of times.

ill try out some of the suggestions and update later on, thanks guys.

Personally, I would run Lava Plume over flamethrower on Heatran. Since you are running a defensive set and flamethrower has only 15 more base power than plume, it'd be better to have the chance of status. If you predict a physical attacker to take advantage of Heatran's less favorable defensive stat, you can get a burn %30 of the time.
Also, Gastrodon is pretty anti-meta. He absolutely walls most Drizzle teams...Just a thought. I don't know how attached to Suicune you are.

I like the suicune a lot but I can always use him on another team and see how well gastro works. What set would you suggest, watchdog? Waaaayy back when I ran a stockpile+toxic set and it was pretty nice, but not sure what other ones work. Ive been seeing icebeam/EP/scald/recover a lot lately too.
and yeah changed to lava plume and liking it more.

I understand about Phazers.

Xatu catching Scor off guard isn't really necessary, as you already have Cune and HP Ice Zapdos, and I'm pretty sure Xatu's HP Ice doesn't OHKO Gliscor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)