The Dark Horse Project IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, managed to grind up way higher with Swamp and Missy before really bad accuracy tilting, and then bumped up Machamp a bit, though no where near as much. I'll edit when i figure out what Poke(s) i want to do next, but happy with my progress with Swamp/Miss.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Johhny Ringo
Hall of Fame Standing: Two Bronze
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Raikou, Tornadus
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: none

Standardish rain, ahoy!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Ninetale3z
Hall of Fame Standing:None
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Serperior, Togekiss
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 1394

Serperior@leftovers
trait:overgrow
Nature:jolly
Evs:200 Hp, 56spdef, 252 speed
Moves:
reflect
glare
leech seed
taunt

Late to this, but I'll try my best ;-;

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Don't Be Easy
Hall of Fame Standing: Nothin'
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Empoleon
Current Ladder Standing: 1988

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Darm was pretty good, but i suck at playing sun so changing again

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Dark Bishop
Hall of Fame Standing: Platinum
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Bisharp
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

FUCK YOU JIRACHI

as a sidenote: i got up to 1920!

then i tilted back down to 1840ish after fucking haxxxx

YES NOW I AM ON LADDER

1900 now actually!

Alt Name: Discoman

The pokemon I used were chansey and ditto

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Quirky Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform
-
-
-
Chansey @ Eviolite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SDef
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?
I chose chansey for this project since it hadn't gotten on the hall of fame yet and I thought it wouldn't be that difficult. I basically took my favorite team from D/P/Pt, swapped Chansey for Blissey, and swapped ditto for rotom. I didn't think much of the dark horses I had chosen.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?
I basically just made a stall team. Skarmory, Chansey, Latias, Jellicent, Heatran, and then Ditto. Ditto works really well on a stall team since most teams rely on set-up sweepers to get past your walls. Then ditto can come in and sweep them back. Currently my team is 24-5.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?
I feel like Chansey was just a worse version of Blissey when I used it. The only thing I liked about it was how well it took Genesect U-turns. But ditto is really good on a stall team. It covers loose ends - it can rapid spin if the other team has a spinner. And it really helps against those dragon dancers and venusaur.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?

It wasn't really that difficult to make top 100. I'm pretty confident with how I play stall, and using a dark horse pokemon didn't change much. But I do feel like having ditto gave me an edge.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congrats discoboy, Ditto on a stall team seems as a great fucking idea!

How do you manage hazards though, without a spinner? Yeah Ditto Can spin if the opponent has a spinner, but if it doesn't, or even worse if they have a spin-blocker?

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
awwww mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

nice job doom...looks like I have to ladder again
lol lavos you actually narrowly managed to hold onto gm (23 ladder points) because doom didn't beat your glicko2. SO CLOSE MAN, SO CLOSE

oh and if anyone's wondering why my smogon activity dropped from 4 hours a day to one, i have 3 words for you: xcom enemy unknown. dw though, i will keep stuff updated regardless of my sudden addiction to what is definitely one of the best turn-based tactics games to come out in the past 5 years

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Great work Doom, and congratulations on topping the ladder.

awwww mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

nice job doom...looks like I have to ladder again
No you don't, luckily for you some bs happened before I hit #1 and you have a higher glicko2, but thanks for the nice job message :)

FUCK YOU JIRACHI

as a sidenote: i got up to 1920!

then i tilted back down to 1840ish after fucking haxxxx

YES NOW I AM ON LADDER

1900 now actually!
Your points for this challenge is based off of glicko2. So, you actually have 1991 atm.

lol lavos you actually narrowly managed to hold onto gm (23 ladder points) because doom didn't beat your glicko2. SO CLOSE MAN, SO CLOSE

oh and if anyone's wondering why my smogon activity dropped from 4 hours a day to one, i have 3 words for you: xcom enemy unknown. dw though, i will keep stuff updated regardless of my sudden addiction to what is definitely one of the best turn-based tactics games to come out in the past 5 years
Yeah Lavos still has gm, but I've decided to start a new account and DH after the ladder reset, so he won't have it for long :]

got ittttt

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Jumpluff @ Flying Gem
Trait: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Spikes

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Pursuit
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Magneton @ Occa Berry
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon

sd jumpluff is so funny and sexy to sweep with! it kills sun 100% of the time, tbh. occa magneton > genesect. lo kabutops is mad underrated it literally kills rain more than anything else. aerodactyl is the best sr setter in the meta i think. froslass is ok but it only really works as a lure to scizor; it doesn't spinblock well. weavile is pretty amazing too.

I made it to the top of the gold rank with Torn/Raikou! 47-7 until i tilted a bit, but im crazy satisfied with that. I wanted to get a team out of Bronze and did well over that.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 Atk
Naive Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- Superpower
- U-turn

Raikou @ Expert Belt
Shiny: Yes
Rash Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

I started this DH knowing i wanted to get above Bronze, something i was just barely unable to do with my 2nd attempt and no where near on my 1st. Raikou was the first Pokemon that came to my mind, he's undoubtley my favorite Special Attacking UU Pokemon, and he holds his own in OU as well as Jolteon ever does. I made my standard rain set and replaced Shadow Ball with Volt Switch because A) it would be easier to bluff choice item and B) OU doesnt have much in the way of Psychic or Ghost types that aren't hit harder by Thunder. I built the rest of the team with a Politoed, Ferrothorn, Tentacruel and Dragonite; all pretty standard for rain before looking at the last slot. I needed something that could counter Genesect, as alongisde Dugtrio, he didnt fear any member of my team. I couldn't come up with anything. I looked for a DH who might be able to help and stumbled on regular Tornadus. While slower than his winged counterpart, i realized i could justify his extra offensive power as justification for a choice scarf. I faced 16 Genesect in my long road to gold and Tornadus killed 12 on the first turn and 14 in total. Raikou was no slouch in dominating teams of Forretress/Jellicents/Gliscors and often times Ferrothorns with his great power and coverage. I often thought about changing up U-turn on Tornadus, as he wasnt the best Pokemon to utilize it with SR weakness, and there were times i wanted HP Ice or even Water or Electric, but it served its uses.

I'll edit/new post with more DHs later. I had way too many games go to 50+ turns in that crazy run. And ill bet they restrart the ladder soon anyway.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
challenge accepted, doom! (though I'm relieved that bs ladder mechanics preserved my title...)

Pokemon Showdown! Username: BROLY
Hall of Fame Standing: n/a
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: THE DARM BOSS
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: n/a

alkinesthetase

okay guys i'm gonna go through the thread front to back, i'll edit the post when i'm done and we should all be up to date again. xcom has been eating SOOO much of my time so i actually haven't done this in the past few days x_x

EDIT: oh god running from the thread front to back and restarting the entire list is going to be horrifying

alkinesthetase

PHEW. dumping my whole list and starting from scratch for maximum accuracy took nearly two hours. everything should be solid now. you can bet your ass my organizational demands will be higher next month. now if you'll excuse me smogon, i'm gonna take a shower and play xcom for the next four hours

also lavos, lando-T is not a legal dark horse this month
me said:
Note that I have chosen to include Landorus-T and Keldeo on this list - I know, one of their usages for September is below 5%, but the other one is above 5%, and so is their 3 month usage, so I had to make the call and I chose to put them on the list. Maybe if their usage goes down, you might be able to take Keldeo out for a spin as your Dark Horse next month =]

Lavos

Banned deucer.
good thing I've been laddering with THE DARM BOSS as well...it should be usable according to the standard "under 5%" rule though, but I won't dispute your judgment

alkinesthetase

darm is cool yup. as for my judgment about landorus-T, i was honestly a bit mixed on it as well... in terms of the ideological meaning of a "dark horse", it probably fits the bill. however keldeo DEFINITELY does not. i think we can all agree, keldeo is an established member of this metagame. landorus-T, maybe, but i'm not so sure. you could say the same thing for mons like deoxys-D who are obviously a major part of the current metagame, but deoxys was solidly under the 5% cut so i couldn't apply any personal judgment there - rules were rules.

however with keldeo and landorus both edging out it under 5%, i had to ask myself if i wanted to allow them or disallow them. those of you that were in #pokemon when i had that 30-minute conversation about dark horse cutoffs, you'll remember what i was saying about how i don't want us to apply any more hand-picking than i have to - it starts to feel arbitrary as to what is and is not a dark horse, and that starts to defeat part of the project's purpose (ie to let people pick what mons they want). percentage cutoffs are blind in that they don't really understand whether a mon is underrated or if it's just not being used cause people are weird, but cutoffs cannot be argued with, which is their essential strength. i couldn't argue with them either which is why guys like deoxys-D were legal this month, but with keldeo and landorus so close to being on or off, it was kind of my call as to where they landed.

i knew from the start that i wanted keldeo to be on the list because ain't no way keldeo is a dark horse in this metagame, nuh uh. but that presented a problem because if i put landorus-T off of the list, it would kind of be based on the attitude that "i think landorus is a dark horse, but i also think keldeo is not, therefore ima put keldeo on the list and landorus off it". too arbitrary for me and i didn't like that kind of justification. there was really no way for me to exclude keldeo from dark horse play and also include landorus-T, without making a rather shaky argument for why one and not the other. so i chose to take them both off. that way, i can fall back on the percentages - when a mon has one usage percentage above the cutoff and one below for a single month, the three-month stats will tiebreak, and it pushed them both over the line. while my decision to do so may have been flawed within itself, at least this way, it's all back in the domain of numbers, which is quite a bit safer for me. i am aware that tiering is based on one of the percentages and ignores the other, but tiering is based on 3 month stats so the argument is not directly portable to this situation.

anyway when i was referring to my justification about landorus-T and keldeo, this is basically what i was thinking about. this kind of stuff is also what the four of us will be thinking about when we go into cutoff planning for next month. stay tuned and keep laddering!

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Holy shit, guys, a lot of you Bronzies are moving up!! I'm especially happy for Master of the Six Kings, who skyrocketed all the way to Gold, which only housed ginganinja! Awesome job, Six Kings :D. Interesting use of Tornadus-I, heh. I do agree that HP Ice would be nice for revenge-killing purposes (think Dragonite and Thundurus-T); I'd probably replace Heat Wave for HP Ice, since you're using a Rain team. I also don't know if Aura Sphere is worth being slower than dangerous threats like Thundurus-T, Keldeo, Landorus, and Latios. I'd try testing Timid Raikou with Calm Mind > Aura Sphere and see how that works. You may still choose to bluff Scarf with Expert Belt & Volt Switch or change item to Lefties or Lum Berry, which are arguably more useful for setting up.

As for your Mismagius / Swampert Team, Energy Ball is a poor coverage move that I doubt you use often. I believe Mismagius would be more useful with Nasty Plot, Thunder Wave, Will-O-Wisp, Hypnosis, Taunt, or Destiny Bond over that slot.

Also props to ssbm for climbing up the ladder with a FULL Dark Horse Team xD. I really love your "riding on the opponent's weather" abuse with Kabutops and Jumpluff (lol, I can see Jumpluff annihilating Venusaur and Volcarona users right now!). Weavile & Magneton provides some nice trapping core, too :d Occa Magneton is an interesting touch to remove the top OU threat in BW2 atm, but seems outclassed by Magnezone - would you have chosen Magnezone if it wasn't for DHP? Aerodactyl is an innovative touch to this team to check Tornadus-T :d This team utilizes these Pokemon's Speed to great effect! Bravo, ssbm! I'd love to have a replays of your team in action xd

Garchomp has been unbanned, and his last month usage was 0,00%.

Is he a dark horse now? <:3

FUCK NO - he's a white stallion 8) - Pocket

edit: but he's blue and red.

Jynx isn't turning out to be that much fun. Even when I win, it's usually because of one of my other team members. Doing two new ones at the moment (if that's not allowed, just pick the first one)

Pokemon Showdown! Username: i'llweelyou
Hall of Fame Standing: na
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: big V
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: na

I tested this team on an alt to perfect it, and even though I went 22-6, I was stuck in the 1600s with a horribly low dev. Now I'm doing this for real, this darkblazer nig better watch his ass.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: th tri4ce
Hall of Fame Standing: NAH
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: BIG LAPRAS
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: na

Holy shit, this thing is a boss. Half the time, I just have to eliminate Ferro and maybe 1-2 other BIG THREATs, and then come set up on basically any defensively oriented pokemon, get to +6 and sweep. I can easily tank most Draco Meteors, Volt Switches and Thunderbolts by using Rest and waking up instantly. Most of the time I lose, it's honestly just because people crit Lapras (to be expected considering how many attacks I tank). With counters eliminated, it's almost foolproof.

Pocket: Thanks for the praise :D Heat Wave was specifically for Genesect, as no one expected their choiced Genesect lead to be slower than my Tornadus lead. Aura Sphere is hard to not have, as its the only way to deal with Ferrothorn (we really need an Arua Sphere tutor in Gen 6 :I) but i agree that forced Rash kinda sucks. Mismagius with NP i agree probably would be better. I was just trying to patch up a weakness to Gastroodon, but i never saw more than 1, lol.

And is giga supposed to be gold? it says he has over 2200 points and that gold only goes to 2199, or am i missing something? I atleast know that you called my Raikou Amoongus and thats definately not the case, xD

Still can't decide on what DH to use next... so many possibly viable options...

Made it with Lapras.
(Please don't steal it Jayde D:)
I used Lavos' DD Hydrarest set and it was honestly good in pretty much every game I played. Didn't get that many sweeps, but Ice Shard + that bulk was an excellent combination, and there were a couple of stall teams I ran through since they had no way of touching it. The SR weakness is kind of annoying but REst somewhat mitigates that. The real MvP of my ladder run was Specs Jolteon, but Lapras did work every game I needed it - most often as an Alakazam check since Jolteon flat-out loses to SashZam, which is the only set people are using right now, and Waterfall+Ice Shard handily disposes of it in Rain.

Lapras (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 248 HP / 84 SDef / 176 Def
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Shard

Politoed (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Perish Song

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 228 Def / 252 HP / 28 Spd
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Substitute
- Protect

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 212 SAtk / 240 Spd / 56 HP
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 64 Atk / 244 Def
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Signal Beam

Feel free to steal/tweak/tell me how crap this is :P. I'll go grab the questions and edit them in here, then perhaps see if I can get a little higher!

EDIT:
How did you choose your Dark Horse Pokemon for this project? What lead you to choose the Pokemon you did? Did you have regrets or were you happy with your selection?
After I gave up on Carracosta, I was stuck trying to decide on a new horse. I didn't feel like building another Rain team, but most of the Pokemon I was interested in were either rain-dependent or had already been used pretty successfully by someone in the challenge. I correctly recognised I had no hope of beating any of the higher players (yet! :P), so after deliberating for a couple days I decided the lapras set Lavos posted looked very interesting and built another Rain team. A couple of minor tweaks later, I found myself on the Leaderboard.

How did you go about building a team for your Dark Horse Pokemon? Which kinds of teammates did you consider? What factors contributed to the team you created?
I figured Lapras would really love Toxic Spikes, so I added a Tentacruel to provide them, spin for it, and benefit from the inevitable rain. In the end, I changed to a SubToxic set and just deal with rocks, since Toxic Spikes were pretty useless 3 games out of 5, and Tentacruel still managed to Poison everything I needed it to most games. I obviously needed Politoed as well, and I went with a Physically defensive set because in my experience it's the only one with the longevity for a team like the one I was building. Since I had a pretty big Electric weakness forming, I added an offensive Latias, which also happened to handily check a lot of Pokemon that looked dangerous, such as Breloom, Terrakion and Keldeo. I also added a bulky Landorus-T, which seems to be a go-to Pokemon on every team I make right now. Since Ferrothorn was a tough prospect, I gave it Superpower>U-turn, and I haven't really regretted the change. It provided rocks while giving me a chance against the Outragers running around all over the place. In the final spot, I felt like I had all the crucial bases covered, but the team would appreciate something quick to tie things together at the ends of games. Jolteon was working well for me at that point in time, so I decided a Specs set would make an excellent cleanup mon. It proved me right and more, killing a Pokemon almost every game and saving my ass with a clutch paralysis every once in a while.

Do you think it is more difficult or less difficult to ladder with a Dark Horse Pokemon? Why? Does the element of surprise play a factor in your battles? Is it easier to fight with a "highly used"" team or with Pokemon that are less common?
I do think a dark horse is an asset to any team which can make the best of its strengths. However, it almost felt as though I was laddering with four dark horses, because most of my team was below 30th in the usage stats. In my experience, something a little unusual is absolutely mandatory on any successful team, but it doesn't have to be a dark horse - usage is the only truly unbiased method of determining whether something is uncommon or not, but there are Pokemon dotted all throughout the usage stats that seem to crop up more rarely and cause more trouble when they do. I didn't run into a single Tornadus-T for my entire ladder run, but if I had I would probably have been under a lot of Pressure. It's hard to pick up on Pokemon like this without spending a couple of dozen games laddering, but usage is a good subsitute.

Anyway, I kind of went off on a tangent there. Lapras proved useful in almost all my battles, as noted above. In particular, nobody expected Ice Shard, which led to a lot of easy revenge kills throughout the run. Hydration is a fantastic ability that let Lapras absorb Scalds, Twaves and Spores left right and center, although I still found the team weak to sleep since both of the common carriers easily beat Lapras 1v1. I ended up valuing bulk more than sweeping ability in the case of my Dark Horse, as little bar a crit can really OHKO you.

(For Hall of Fame members only) How did you reach the Hall of Fame? Was it easy or difficult? Did having a Dark Horse Pokemon on your team benefit you? What advice would you give to those laddering with Dark Horse Pokemon?
The secret to ladder success on PS is winning early, and the DHC is no exception. Testing a couple of sets on an alt before you dive right it in a great idea, and I actually ended up playing seven or eight test games before I felt I was ready to truly begin. Overall, Lapras did pretty well, although I would probably use a slightly different set in future.

The biggest piece of advice I have for people trying the challenge it to pick a pokemon with utility. That doesn't mean you have to choose a support Pokemon, but if it doesn't check anything interesting or support in any kind of interesting fashion, it will be mediocre in the majority of games. In Lapras' case, it could absorb status and also had Ice-type priority, which is invaluable all on its own, but it also has bulk enough to check a wide variety of prominent Pokemon.

I will probably end up writing a RMT thread for this team, but I'll leave you with that for now.

FF: Hey man, the team doesn't look too bad! I personally have a hard time justifying Tentacruel without Rapid Spin or with Toxic when Poli already has it. How does your team deal with Scarfers resistant to Ice Shard though? Seems like Genesect would Uturn through you and pick off a few members before sweeping with Bug Buzz or Tbolt or Terrakion just need Lando out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)