The Dark Horse Project IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
dw, i'm probably doing more of victini first, but i'll still try to destroy you when the time comes(;

i like your team, but i'd definitely want to fit rapid spin on tentacruel somewhere. most probably in place of toxic since toed has it, but substitute / protect also seems a little redundant, usually it's just one or the other imo.

@ master of the six kings i don't really think either gene or terra really poses a threat to him. you'd be surprised at how well lapras takes unboosted t-bolts from genesect, and lando-t/defensive tentacruel deal with terra quite well; he just has to play smart with lando and keep it alive.

Genesect was dealt with primarily by forcing it to switch into moves (eg. Latias DM) and using that and rocks to wear it down. I'm actually not sure I saw any scarfers that weren't Genesect AND weren't weak to Ice Shard... the damn bug is so popular it's usurped the role on tons of teams - I only saw Scarf Mence, Landorus(-T), Rotom-W and Haxorus. The former two dislike Ice Shard intensely, and neither can break Landorus solo either, apart from a predictive HP Ice (I would generally use Toed for Landorus-I). Haxorus also loses to Landorus, although I would often prefer Landorus->Politoed so I could conserve the former's HP. Generally I would have to play around Rotom - Latias doesn't really care about its moves which is nice, so once I got a Scald burn or Toxic on it I could stall it out pretty easily. Having 2 Protects is very helpful for this, although I sometimes wished I had it on Landorus too haha.

If I had fought a Scarf Terrakion, I would probably have relied on the combination of Landorus, Tentacruel, Latias and Politoed to beat it, depending on how much health they variously had left. Any other set is less threatening because Jolteon can easily revenge it provided rain is up. Genesect would probably have been a lot more dangerous to the team if I didn't have Jolteon - Latias isn't always enough to kill it and Ebelt coverage moves would shred through the rest of the team. I believe Lapras can tank a +1 Thunderbolt if Rocks are not up, although Waterfall does not OHKO. Tentacruel is probably in the same boat, although it is pretty rare for it to be at 100% because I make use of its resistances a lot. I definately agree with the sentiment that Landorus has to be played smartly, because losing intimidate before getting some solid damage on enemy sweepers is a big setback.

The main threat to the team was Latios, in my experience. Without a Steel, I had to Poison/Burn it and then variously switch around absorbing Meteors with Tentacruel and to a lesser extent Lapras. It would end up doing a lot of damage (think 1-2 kills) every time I fought it, despite Jolteon being an excellent answer once it was down to about 65%. I think pretty much every game I lost was to either Latios or a team with both Hippowdon and Tyranitar - inclusing one incredibly frustrating game in which a Latios survived Signal Beam with 2% of its health and proceeded to, I kid you not, sweep me with CM Luster Purge :(.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: ATG3
Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Heracross
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: ---

Ok trying this again since Charizard was ass...

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Warrior
Hall of Fame Standing: ..No?
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Sigilyph
Current Ladder Standing: 1000

So if the ladder reset isn't a factor, I guess I just got Bronze rank lol. I'll post my thoughts later, though I question the legitimacy of achieving it this way .-.

So if the ladder reset isn't a factor, I guess I just got Bronze rank lol. I'll post my thoughts later, though I question the legitimacy of achieving it this way .-.
Rank 5 with 1600 points?

I guess giving the ladder some time to stabilize would be fair.

Pocket EDIT: Sorry Clubbin, but grayed accounts on the leaderboard doesn't count for obvious reasons.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Lol, he's technically right since there's no hard deviation requirement (we're just required to be in the appropriate top XXX); however I agree that it's pointless to grant Bronze rank for a stint like that, just after a ladder reset, and I suggest adding a fixed deviation requirement in addition to the existing ones, to solve the problem.

There is a minimum 1950 Glicko2 rating though, which he fails to attain. it's probably only a couple of wins, but he's not HoF just yet :P.

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Oh, yeah, I was still thinking to the old requirements. My point is still valid though :)

The placement on the ladder really doesn't matter though, since Glicko determines rank. Even at number 5 he is no where near anyone else who has top 5'ed the ladder, which i think is an indication that the system is working as is.

alkinesthetase

<@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hmm that is definitely weird. due to the ladder reset, has the 80 dev requirement for top 100 on ladder lifted? if that's the case we should definitely implement a dev cutoff of our own, but for now i think we can just wait and let things stabilize a bit

EDIT: ah, thanks for the clarification fastflygon

The deviation requirement applies only when there are enough plays to populate a full leaderboard. In tiers like Hackmons which see very few players, provisional alts still saw the leaderboard right before the reset. As soon as more people start laddering the provisional accounts will get pushed down and off to make way for those that are not provisional.

TL;DR it's not a problem you just gotta wait a little guys!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Here's my screenshot for Deoxys-D.

Set
Deoxys-D @ Tanga Berry Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Magic Coat

Deoxys is bullshit. It seriously needs to be banned. Genesect too. Free win basically. This metagame sucks. /rant

alkinesthetase

i was waiting for someone to steal deoxys-D from eranu =P in terms of being "easy" to ladder with, it's probably one of the easiest dark horses available right now, so anyone could chase after it. good stuff, lady alex! now let's see if eranu will steal it back from you

and guys lavos is still grandmaster, what is this shit

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Man Lady Alex is a Dream Crusher, eliminating 2 HoFers ;o

Also, greyed accounts on the leaderboard are not ineligible for HoF; one must lower their deviation to have their names show up in black. Specifically, you need a deviation of 80 to enter Dark Horse's Hall of Fame!

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Thief Queen
Hall of Fame Standing: Platinum
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Zoroark
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: 20xx

Finished.

Set
Zoroark @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Illusion
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Trick
- Focus Blast

Scarf Zoroark was a great way to get an early kill on genesect, which makes many teams lose a huge part of their offensive momentum.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I'd compete with Lady Alex with Zoroark laddering, but I was planning on laddering with something else, so...

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Head Smashed
Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze (currently)
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Aggron, Stoutland
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown: nope

Head Smashed was a clean alt when I decided to use Stoutland, so I don't have to change alts right?

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
Updated my post.

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Luna Blue
Hall of Fame Standing: Platinum
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Umbreon
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown: None

Success

Set:
Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Calm Nature
- Substitute
- Snatch
- Baton Pass
- Yawn

Umbreon wasn't amazingly useful, but having yawn on a BP team was pretty convenient. Snatch also gives me a way to scare volcarona when I'm confident it will lead

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
I was waiting for chomp for my 5th run.
Pokemon Showdown! Username: Trrrrooop
Hall of Fame Standing: silver
Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Staraptor and Heraboss
Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: n/a

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
I have the same question as lucaroarkz. Didn't realize one of my pokemon was a dark horse and will update my list if I'm allowed to do so.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If it's a fresh alt that you haven't started laddering, then yea, you can add it

ok i gotta do another run since charizard is gay because i dont wanna run sun

dh: honchkrow + staraptor + mantine + golurk + accelgor + gothitelle
alt: caw caw

gonna do that^ later
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
dh: porygon2+claydol + mantine + cofag + roserade + rotom-h
ALT:lalalala

alkinesthetase

wow ssbm hardcore man, going for ANOTHER team of dark horses

also, for fun, here are some stats: on the leaderboard of total HoFed alts, lady alex is in the lead with a whopping FIVE complete dark horse runs, followed by tropious with 4. molk and master of the six kings are tied behind at 3 alts each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)