1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Dark Horse Project IV

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Birkal, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Temp V1

Temp V1 Movin' at the speed of life and I can't slow down

Feel like doing another run through :d
    Once the ladder resets I'll get started

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Mr Tempest
    Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Cresilia & Sableye
    Current Ladder Standing: none yet
  2. ganj4lF

ganj4lF Nobody is safe from the power of science!
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I may do another run as well, so I'm reserving the poke and nick in advance:

Pokemon Showdown! Username: EvilGrin11 I guess EvilGrin12
    Hall of Fame Standing: Bronze
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Dusclops
    Current Ladder Standing: ---
  3. ginganinja

ginganinja Dating Haunter
    is a Forum Moderatoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Pokemon Showdown! Username: God Haunter
    Hall of Fame Standing: Gold from previous I guess
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Claydol
    Current Ladder Standing: 3762 (Glicko2)

Giving this another spin
  4. Chillarmy

Chillarmy

Pokemon Showdown! Username: One Piece Sucks
    Hall of Fame Standing: None
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Togekiss
    Current Ladder Standing: Fresh account, so zilch
  5. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Lavos isn't grandmaster anymore cuz they fixed the ladder decay thing that happened yday
    ;)
  6. Lady Alex

Lady Alex I asked Mawile to not hurt me. I was betrayed.
    is a Tiering Contributor

That's why I suggested that rating, rather than position on the ladder, be used to determine hall of faming standing and grandmaster status. Not that it matters in this particular instance since Lavos has the highest rating anyway, but I think it has the potential to be an issue in the future.

Anyway, can't let others show me up with more ladder runs ;D

Pokemon Showdown! Username:Noblesse Oblige
    Hall of Fame Standing: Platinum
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Arcanine, Deoxys-D
    Current Ladder Standing: None

Changing my dark horse since baton pass isn't cooperating with me right now.
    Starting over again.

yay. I'm so happy I made it with Arcanine.

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

Arcanine's set
    Show Hide
    Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Close Combat

Team
    Show Hide
    Code:
    Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Spore
    - Mach Punch
    - Bullet Seed
    - Swords Dance

Arcanine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Flare Blitz
    - Wild Charge
    - Close Combat

Deoxys-D @ Tanga Berry
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Taunt
    - Magic Coat

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature
    - Fire Blast
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Dance

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Steadfast
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Punch
    - ExtremeSpeed

Gengar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 6 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Disable
    - Substitute

It's a pretty simple hyper offense team. Arcanine's role is come in on something it resists or a fire move and to go to town on the opponent until it faints. Sometimes I'll save it if I know I'm going to need the ExtremeSpeed for an enemy dragon dancer.
  7. Master of the Six Kings

Master of the Six Kings

Whoo, top 100 sure got lowered recently.

Got 99th with Machamp. While i'd love to ladder higher, i think i'll do so with a different Pokemon. Machamp works fine, but playign with him for a while i found a lot of other Pokes i want to try.

Proof (open)

[​IMG]

Full Set (open)

Machamp @ Lum Berry
    Trait: No Guard
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Brave Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - DynamicPunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Stone Edge
    - ThunderPunch

There's a good reasont hey call this guy the Champ. I had Trick Room available, but rarely used it. Lum Berry and Dynamic Punch + Thunder Punch really help me deal with bulky Scalding waters, while Ice Punch and Stone Edge i tested together to try and decide on one and found i liked having both. Machamps natural bulk really helps it take hits living on those low percentages, which alongside Dynamic Punch means he can beat pretty well anything with some luck. However, No Guard proved to be more a curse than a blessing alowing Pokemon to alwasy hit Hurricanes, Focus Blasts and Thunders against Machamp without weather and when Trick Room isnt up, his abysmal speed makes OU a very unforgiving metagame for him. If nothing else though, he cleans the hell out of Chansey/Blissey and Ferro, lol.

Time for something new!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: YourGooseIsCooked
    Hall of Fame Standing: Bronzong
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Zangoose
  8. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

lol siu i agree that the decay issue was kinda borked, but regardless, he did peak at #2, so the position will hold until someone else unseats him (by beating his PEAK ladder rating and either matching or exceeding his PEAK leaderboard rank - the current ones don't matter from what i understood, it's the peaks that you have to overcome). he won't lose the position if he falls from the top 3 - it just becomes easier to take the position from him, but someone still has to do so first ;D

as for others who rose primarily by decay, i'd rather not mess with established hof rankings to be honest - we'll leave it as it is for now, and of course you can continue laddering to push your peak higher if you so desire. i'll talk with the rest of the team later to see if there are any issues relating to that decay that we want to sort out
  9. TROP

TROP *tips fedora*
    is a Tiering Contributor

[​IMG]

Idk how, but I made it going 5-0 for about 30 matches because Ambipom did nothing except dying. This is truly one of the worst pokemon I have ever used.

Except for a few matches, where thanks to the set below, allowed Salamence and Keldeo to sweep the opponent easily.

set (open)
    [​IMG]
    Ambipom @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
    Jolly Nature
    - Fire Punch
    - Low Kick
    - Return
    - Switcheroo
    I know nobody saw this random set coming, but allow me to explain how it works(well is supposed to): Troll scarf genesect leading ohkoing it with Fire Punch, Low Kick Tyranitar and other heavy mons like Terrakion, Return becaus STAB, and finally, Switcheroo is pretty much the only move I used to render things like Skarmory and other walls useless and allow me to set up with a truly scary mon like Mence or Terrakion easily.

Because why not, here is the W/L:
    User: themightyambipom
    Format ACRE GXE Glicko2 W L T
    ou 1872 86 1971 ± 71 (provisional) 29 3 0
  10. Ninelol

Ninelol

Going to go for a second shot at this since the ladder will be resetting soon

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Ninelol 2
    Hall of Fame Standing: -
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Heracross, Gastrodon
    Current Ladder Standing: 1700 6-1

The Sets

Show Hide

[​IMG]

Mrs. Boss (Heracross) (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Megahorn
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

[​IMG]

Jimmies (Gastrodon) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Surf
    - Recover
  11. Lady Alex

is a Tiering Contributor

I'm considering attempting to use Arcanine as my dark horse, but I'm hesitant because I find that it's niche seems to be so incredibly narrow that idk if it's worth pursuing. What do you guys think of it?
  12. Absolete

Absolete

Kind of along with Lady Alex's last post: I'll take any requests for a Dark Horse that you guys want to see used, on a few stipulations:

1: It must be viable in Trick Room (under 80ish speed)
    2: It must be an offensive pokemon OR have access to Trick Room
    3: It can't be entirely outclassed (under Trick Room)

I'm thinking Nidoking, possibly.
  13. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I'm going to start with a fresh alt and see if I can beat my grandmaster standing!

Pokemon Showdown! Username: sup phil
    Hall of Fame Standing: n/a
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: [​IMG]
    Current Ladder Standing on Pokemon Showdown!: n/a
  14. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

I have done it again!

Show Hide
    [​IMG]

once again, here is my w/l: ou 2117 94 2213 ± 80 (provisional) 28 5 0

Also, i started out with just weavile, but when teambuilding i ended up using another dark horse on the same team, slowbro! Ill describe him as well.

[​IMG]
    Weavile @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Ice Shard
    - Pursuit
    - Ice Punch / Night Slash
    - Low Kick

I wanted to ladder with a dark horse pokemon again, so i thought of some cool pokemon i wanted to use, and ended up sticking with weavile. I asked everyone on #pokemon how good weavile was, and tobes mentioned that its actually really good in this metagame, so i decided to give it a shot. Overall, i will say that weavile certainly pulled its weight during my ladder run. I expected weavile to be rather hit or miss at first due its its fraility and very specific role, but at the very least it got one KO a match, if not cleaning up the opponent late game, and it always got the job done. Weavile's main role on my team was to snipe boosted dragons, gliscor, landorus, and the therians with ice shard, as well as trapping Psychics and Ghosts such as Alakazam, Gengar, Starmie and Lati@s with pursuit. Otherwise, weavile hit decently hard with its STABs+low kick, and for some reason, lured in ttar and heatran (im guessing this is because nobody knows what the fuck weavile does, lol). Weavile plays a lot like mamoswine, and may seem outclassed at first, but its incredible speed and access to pursuit more than make up for the power and bulk that mamoswine has. Weavile's main flaw is that its really damn frail, and also has a stealth rock weakness that wears it down over the course of the match, but i honestly think weavile deserves some more love in OU, its niche makes it invaluable on teams that have trouble with certain pokemon, Lati@s especially.

[​IMG]
    Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Scald
    - Psychic / Fire Blast
    - Ice Beam
    - Slack Off

Slowbro is an old favorite of mine from BW1, and when i was fixing up an old keldeo team to use weavile well, i needed something to take pretty much every fighting type except scrafty, who i had covered. Enter Slowbro, the physically defensive behemoth that can take almost every physical hit, hit back almost as hard, and recover off all the damage in the end. Seriously, slowbro is one of the best physical walls and pivots a balanced team could ask for. with 95/110/80 defenses, regenerator, coverage moves that hit pretty much everything it needs to, and reliable recovery in slack off. Slowbro is nearly impossible to KO from the physical side without a super effective STAB (and even then, it takes banded scizor u-turn for 66% ._.). I used slowbro along with fellow regenerator amoonguss, who is also a dark horse, but i wont mention because its already in the hall of fame, and specially defensive Heatran to form a very solid defensive FWG core. between the three of them, i could often keep repeatedly switching and stall the opponent out until something like their own sand kills them. Amoonguss and heatran also covered slowbro's weaknesses perfectly, which helped out a lot. Perhaps my favorite part about slowbro, though is how it could take on the physical dragons such as mence and dnite with ease, making weavile's job easier. Overall, i still think slowbro is a good choice in OU, and i personally think its still worthy of OU status, even with the new threats to it that came along in BW2.

just a question, do i have to answer those questions every time i enter the hall of fame? ill add them in if i need to but im just going to leave them out for now.
  15. zfs

zfs Everything old is new again
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Pokemon Showdown! Username (alt for DH): bzx
    Hall of Fame Standing: N/A
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Ditto, Bronzong, Snorlax, Golurk, Kabutops, Rotom-Mow. That's right, people. 6 Dark Horses, using nothing that has been Hall-of-Fame'd already.
    Current Ladder Standing: Glicko2 of 1613 +/- 90
  16. blunder

blunder

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Forry777
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: forretress, Keldeo, Jolteon
  17. Lady Alex

is a Tiering Contributor

Wow. Keldeo is a dark horse? Geez...
  18. Molk

Molk Crustle knocked off the opposing Rhydon's Assault Vest!
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Co-Leader

so no, keldeo is not allowed as a dark horse, if it was allowed, i would have included it in my post actually, lol. My team was based on the offensive core of keldeo and weavile.
  19. Ninelol

Ninelol

noooooooo get out of here! I don't want to have to use a multi hit move :|
  20. Ninelol

Ninelol

The niche of best Bulky Volcarona counter 2hko's with Flare blitz and At best is 2hko'd by +6 bug buzz

252 hp / 252 SDef Careful

Flareblitz, Extremespeed, WoW, Morning sun.

so ... very narrow niche lol
  21. Lady Alex

is a Tiering Contributor

Specially defensive heatran checks volcarona as well. It also has access to stealth rocks and isn't stealth rock weak itself. Nonetheless, I think I'm going to see what I can come up with and give Arcanine a shot.

lol...
  22. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Lady Alex, Arcanine has a unique combination of Flare Blitz, ExtremeSpeed, and Flash Fire; it is certainly not outclassed! It can serve as a decent check to Sun teams, and can be used a wallbreaker on Sun teams. In the Sun its Flare Blitz fucks everything and you also gain enormous recovery from Morning Sun. Outside of Sun, you'd want to use it on a weatherless team that needs a decent check against Volcarona, etc. It has fantastic coverage in Wild Charge and Close Combat, so it will serve as an effective wallbreaker for your team. Rapid Spin, SR, and dragon killler would be greatly appreciated :d

Absolete, have you tried Rhyperior yet? Or Adaptability CB Crawdaunt in the Rain? TR Victini or Specs Eruption Heatran in the Sun?! You may also want to mess around with SD Scizor, which can Bullet Punch sweep even after TR wears off. Druddigon is also the best TR Dragon without the nasty SR weakness of Dragonite; it also has Sucker Punch for priority.
  23. blunder

blunder

I am going to restart this challenge

Pokemon Showdown! Username: Incarnate1
    Dark Horse Pokemon Currently Working With: Gyarados, Tornadus-I
  24. Lady Alex

is a Tiering Contributor

You're right. I think I have an idea of what I want to do with it. Thanks Pocket, ninelol
  25. Pocket

Pocket Apo, the astronaut's best friend >:3
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Double posting for a Big Announcement

New Glicko2 requirements
    Bronze: 1950 - 2049
    Silver: 2050-2099
    Gold: 2100-2199
    Platinum: 2200-2299
    Grandmasters: 2300+

HoF would reflect these changes, so some of you would have to get back laddering to reclaim your original ranks >:0 Decay wont fuck this over anymore!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)