Project The Dark Horse Project! (Big Update! Read post #31)

Status
Not open for further replies.
approved by pu staff

THE PU DARK HORSE PROJECT

This is Dark Horse Project. For those of you not familiar with Dark Horse, the definition of a Dark Horse is a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds..

So, even with the PU meta, there are still mons that aren't utilized as often as more popular choices because the players typically see these mons with less usage as being "inferior" or "not viable." But, there are still mons that can serve a niche in the PU meta without being necessary outclassed by the more used mons.
This project is to determine which mons are being underutilized and have a niche in the PU meta.
Dark Horses will be determined by viability rankings AND Usage statistics.

RULES

-A Dark Horse Pokemon will be classified as a Pokemon in the PU tier or lower that is C+ rank maximum and <4% usage.
-We are going to draw your attention to a particular Dark Horse every month. If your team utilizes the Featured Dark Horse, your score will be increased (how much is shown at the scoring segment).
-You can get hall of fame more than one time in a month, but you must use different Pokemon.
-If you achieve hall of fame but have lower elo than someone else that achieved it with the same pokemon, you only get half points. However, if you still are using one dark horse that the other guy isn’t you’ll keep full value of points. Its only if ALL of your dark horses are beat by someone else.
-Featured dark horse can be on leaderboard unlimited times by different people, but not by the same person.
-Also, No Suspect Mons or New Drops may be used in this Project.

SCORING

GOLD RANK - 1500 ELO - 50 Points

SILVER RANK - 1400 ELO - 30 Points

BRONZE RANK - 1300 ELO - 10 points

After this, I factor in your usage statistic total to the formula below, to get your total score.
L=laddering points
S= Statistic Sum

10L/S

All this means, is that I multiply your original score by 10, then divide it by the usage statistic total. If you still don't understand don't worry I am the one that calculates this. However, the lower your added usage statistic total is, the higher your score will end up being.

Additional Points

-Afterwards feedback and discussion will give you 10 extra points
-Using Featured Dark Horse pokemon gives you 10 extra points (I factor these first two into the formula.)
-Best Dark Horser on hall of fame for the month will get 20 more points (this is a seperate score that isn't added to the formula.)

VALIDATION

-All teams must be submitted in the following format either in this thread or PM to me. Also, you must send me a snapshot to verify your fresh alt.
Code:
Alt Name:

Dark Horses Used:

[HIDE]Imported team[/HIDE]
So, go out there and try out some Dark Horses. Here's this month's Ranking and Featured Dark Horse!

The current Featured Dark Horse Is...

Regigigas! This gargantuan pokemon is really scary looking in the stats, but when you see its ability, you can help but facepalm. However, this pokemon has viability as a t-wave support already, and can surely find other ways to work. Laddering with Regigigas this month and getting hall of fame will give you extra leaderboard points!

We are using june's statistics for the rest of july and august since july is almost over. DON"T USE JULY'S STATISTICS WHEN THEY COME OUT. This will make it easier on me, you, and everyone else so we don't have a one week long round.

Statistics:
http://www.smogon.com/stats/2015-07/pu-1630.txt

Viability Ranking List
S-Rank
  • Roselia

A-Rank
A+
  • Piloswine
  • Simipour
  • Barbaracle
  • Jumpluff
  • Zebstrika
  • Rapidash
  • Stoutland

A
  • Tangela
  • Carracosta
  • Kadabra
  • Raichu
  • Ursaring
  • Grumpig
  • Ninetales
  • Probopass
  • Floatzel
  • Regice

A-
  • Fraxure
  • Sawsbuck
  • Stunfisk
  • Misdreavus
  • Simisage
  • Clefairy
  • Machoke
  • Dodrio
  • Mightyena
  • Golem
  • Gourgeist-XL
  • Rotom-F

B-Rank

B+
  • Arbok
  • Articuno
  • Duosion
  • Golduck
  • Gourgeist-S
  • Leafeon
  • Mr. Mime
  • Pelipper
  • Simisear
  • Vigoroth

B
  • Basculin
  • Chatot
  • Dwebble
  • Gabite
  • Klang
  • Leavanny
  • Lickilicky
  • Swanna
  • Venipede
  • Volbeat
  • Zweilous

B-
  • Armaldo
  • Beheeyem
  • Ditto
  • Dusknoir
  • Hippopotas
  • Hypno
  • Linoone
  • Meowstic-M
  • Monferno
  • Murkrow
  • Ninjask
  • Persian
  • Purugly
  • Quilladin
  • Vibrava
  • Vullaby
  • Whirlipede

C-Rank

C+
  • Avalugg
  • Beartic
  • Furfrou
  • Gogoat
  • Heatmor
  • Luxray
  • Marowak
  • Munchlax
  • Rampardos
  • Regigigas
  • Servine
  • Solrock
  • Torkoal
  • Weepinbell

C
  • Carbink
  • Drifblim
  • Electabuzz
  • Frogadier
  • Girafarig
  • Kingler
  • Lapras
  • Lunatone
  • Metang
  • Relicanth
  • Shedinja
  • Swalot
  • Vanilluxe

C-
  • Butterfree
  • Cherrim
  • Dusclops
  • Flareon
  • Illumise
  • Onix
  • Politoed
  • Swoobat
  • Wigglytuff

D-Rank

• Chimecho
  • Dragonair
  • Electrode
  • Frillish
  • Gastly
  • Kricketune
  • Krokorok
  • Lairon
  • Lampent
  • Natu
  • Noctowl
  • Octillery
  • Raticate
  • Seviper
  • Stantler
  • Sliggoo
  • Tentacool
  • Tropius
  • Wartortle

E-Rank

• Ariados
  • Bastiodon
  • Beautifly
  • Bellossom
  • Bibarel
  • Carnivine
  • Castform
  • Corsola
  • Dedenne
  • Delcatty
  • Delibird
  • Dewgong
  • Dunsparce
  • Dustox
  • Emolga
  • Farfetch'd
  • Fearow
  • Furret
  • Gigalith
  • Glaceon
  • Gourgeist
  • Gourgeist-Large
  • Huntail
  • Ledian
  • Lumineon
  • Luvdisc
  • Magcargo
  • Maractus
  • Masquerain
  • Meganium
  • Meowstic-F
  • Minun
  • Mothim
  • Pachirisu
  • Parasect
  • Phione
  • Plusle
  • Seaking
  • Slaking
  • Spinda
  • Sudowoodo
  • Sunflora
  • Unfezant
  • Unown
  • Vespiquen
  • Wailord
  • Walrein
  • Watchog
  • Whiscash
  • Wobbuffet
  • Wormadam
  • Wormadam-G
Wormadam-S

NEW UPDATE:

Now that it is definitely approved, I am adding a new thing to the Dark Horse Project! In order to get more activity, more quality, and more fun, the Dark Horse Project Tournament is now going to start going through its qualifying rounds! This is how it will work.

• The tournament is an 8 man best of 1 tourney.
  • To qualify for this tourney you must get top 2 in hall of fame for the round.
  • There will be four qualifying rounds to get the 8 people.
  • These 8 people must use at least one dark horse from the team they used to get Hall of Fame in the tournament. For example, I am currently 2nd place with Huntail and Rampardos. I will have to use one of those pokemon in my team in the tournament in order to follow the rules if I qualify with that.
  • The winner will be be posted on the other post as a Dark horse champion, and have bragging rights :p
  • The leaderboard will determine the seeding of the players in the tournament.
  • It will be a lot of fun! This first one is only 8 people because we just started this project so its pretty small. However, if we get more activity and popularity we might expand the tournament. This is just a really fun way to work towards something in dark horse! Keep up the work ^^

Last edited:
Qualified players for the Dark Horse Tournament!

HoF for July/August

GOLD RANK
Optical Real-1503 ELO

SILVER RANK
Ztstaffo-1470 ELO
Nihilos- 1433 ELO
BRONZE RANK
Solaceon1234- 1313 ELO
ExplosiveChaos-1308 ELO
RawMelon-1303 ELO

Leaderboard
Solaceon1234-11 points
Nihilos-11 points

Optical Real-10 point
Ztstaffo- 9 Points
ExplosiveChaos- 8 Points

Rawmelon-6 points

Regigigas

Coverage Choice Specs Regigigas~Used by Optical Real
Regigigas @ Choice Specs
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

I personally would reccomend using nature power too somewhere on here if one of these coverage moves aren't needed, as its nice stab that regigigas enjoys spamming.

Choice Specs Regigigas with Nature Power Stab~used by Solaceon1234
Regigigas @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Nature Power

Same set pretty much but with Nature power stab.

The surprise factor of specs regigigas allows it to get predicted ko's on your opponent. It is great if you can catch your opponent off guard and predict right.

Sub+3 Attacks Regigigas~used by Nihilos
Regigigas @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

It is a sub+3 attacks set that is specially defensive.

Not sure how well this works yet considering no replays or feedback yet.

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why the 35% usage rule? Instead of being able to use one dark horse on an otherwise regular team, it forces you to use multiple and you can't even use, for example, Piloswine, further limiting how you can build.

Why the 35% usage rule? Instead of being able to use one dark horse on an otherwise regular team, it forces you to use multiple and you can't even use, for example, Piloswine, further limiting how you can build.
It is so that people can't just slap on a dark horse to a standard team and achieve gold rank. It challenges you to actually try to use the dark horse effectively rather than slapping it on a standard team for points. I knew some people wouldn't like that for your reason, so I added feature dark horse to have SOME type of alternate way to get your team built easier. However, I think it is still very possible to get 35% usage on a team, i promise you can build a good team still :]

EDIT: Megazard after looking at what you said and the statistics i dropped them to 1630 because that is much easier to use and makes more sense

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess it was more of a question of why using regigigas and five "more standard" pokemon is misusing it. One weirder pokemon on a standard team doesn't suddenly mean you're copping out of really fulfilling the challenge. I'm not too concerned since I won't do this but it also seems like a challenge for newer users forced to build around usage stats and use multiple difficult mons.

I have the rules set this way because the goal is to grab attention of pokemon that are not used too much but are still viable. I don't want people to use say, gothita and then build a team with 5 20% usage pokemon that are A+ viablity, and get hall of fame. that would lead new users on to think that gothita is at least decent because it made it on gold rank hall of fame, that would mislead them and contradict the goal of this project. I am not doing this to restrict you to difficult teambuilding options, it really is't that hard with the 1630 usage statistics. This makes the goal of the project smoother and simpler to obtain and doesn't allow dumb shenanigans like i mentioned to occur.

Happy Darkhorsing~

Sorry nothing prior to when i posted this thread can count. However that is very interesting and feel free to post about it if you want to :p

I think that the usage could be used as a variable to count the points. If for example a user gets Gold Rank with a Team with 40% cumulated usage he would get 5 (5 multiplied by ten to make the number more simple) divided by 40% which would result in 12.5 points while an user that gets gold rank with a 30% team would get 5 / 30% which results in roughly 16.7 points. Multiplying everything by ten is probably better however to make the numbers more round (i.e. gold=50, silver=30, bronze=10) what do you think Ztstaffo ?

That sounds like a great idea! Doing this will make both people happy. Hopefully I can get this all updated right now, and my iPad won't make things difficult :p however, yeah that sounds great.

EDIT: Updated the top post, now hopefully everyone can do the dark horse project without feeling super restricted ^^.

Also decided to go ahead an post my dark horses i'm using and stuff.

Alt Name: Dino Smash
Dark Horses Used: Rampardos and Huntail ;3
Imported Team:
Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 144 Atk / 112 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Surf

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Grass Whistle

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

Rapidash @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun

Huntail @ Power Herb
Ability: Water Veil
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Bounce

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Total Usage Statistic Sum: I'll do this later e_e

Last edited:
Alt Name: Single Attack
Dark Horses Used: Regigigas
Imported Team:
Regigigas @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis
- Seed Bomb
- Foul Play

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Scald
- Air Slash

Raichu @ Expert Belt
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Shard

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Aqua Tail
- Sucker Punch

Total Usage: 60.78% A bit high but oh well.

Screen Shot 2015-07-25 at 3.00.28 PM.png

Congrats Optical Real , you earned yourself 9.9 points, which i will round up to 10. You can further improve your score with additional feedback if you want to, which would help out the thread a bunch ^^. Here are the questions i have you can answer for extra points.

What gave you you the idea to use specs regigigas as your dark horse?

Did your dark horse turn out to be viable or unviable on your team? Why?

What reasons would you use specs regigigas over other pokemon with similar roles? Or are there any?

Any additional feedback about choice specs regigigas after laddering with it?

~also, next time post your stuff before you start laddering, its just a technical thing, no big deal this time though ^^

Alt Name: MaroBaseGodd
Dark Horses: Carbink,Staryu
Team: Carbink,Staryu,Roselia,Solrock,Purugly,Flareon

Total Usage: 23.38%

Will post results and team import when finished

sorry for the awful quality. for now i have bronze but soon i will have silver i promise. I will post about my dark horses soon too. my total usage was 43.92% and Rampardos is a lord. My huntail set is pretty cool too, but wouldn't reccomend on most teams. I earned myself 2 leaderboard points lmao, i guess you start somewhere right?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-253771054
This match showcased both dark horses really well

EDIT: I DID IT FINALLY ugh ladder is cancerous to tryhard on. Silver rank. I might push for gold soon.

upload_2015-7-28_14-6-19.png

I now have 7 points until i decide to talk about the dark horses and stuff to get extra or get gold

Last edited:
Alt Name: Nolai
Dark Horses Used: Lapras, Regigigas, Rampardos.
Imported Team:
Vanessa (Lapras) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hydro Pump
- Ancient Power
- Psychic

Regigigas @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Nature Power

Ba'noodle (Tangela) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpA
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sam (Simisear) @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot

Lickilicky @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Body Slam
- Disable
- Knock Off

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Beam

Last edited:
lombre.png

I've reached bronze so far with the team but will continue until I get gold. In the meantime I'll post what I've been using.

lombre's rock (Probopass) @ Air Balloon
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

lombre's cousin (Beheeyem) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Analytic
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 2 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball

lombre's blimp (Drifblim) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass

Lombre King (Lombre) @ Eviolite
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 224 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Toxic

lombre's pet (Arbok) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

lombre's muscle (Machoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 16 SpD / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Toxic

Replays

Ladder:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pu-253918129

Challenges:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/pu-252776564

Last edited:
Magnemite Maybee because they just don't realize it gets tri attack, idk, but i definitely would use it.

Also i decided to go ahead and post about my dark horses since i'm bored and don't know if i will go to gold for now or not, i might later on this round. Anyways, I will start with how my team worked as a whole.

I wanted to build hyper offense using lead rampardos, because the set seemed so fun to use, and it was for sure. anyways, huntail was a late arrival, it used to be poliwrath, and leafeon used to be misdreavus. However, the lack of reliable rapid spinners in the tier made misdreavus out of place for the most part, and i was weak to poliwrath which is never a good thing, so i switched to leafeon and huntail.

Just from the looks of it, the team looks extremely overwhelming in terms of offensive pressure. The entire focus of the team is to get a sweep with any of these pokemon, except stoutland really because any good team will have a way to check and ko stoutland offensively. Stoutland was my go-to wall breaker, because I can't count high enough to give the number of how many times people build teams weak to stoutland on accident, then get destroyed by it on the ladder.

My main two wincons are Rapidash and Huntail. Before i played this team, I really found rapidash underwhelming to use personally, but after using this team I realize i just wasn't playing it right. Rapidash is really good at cleaning in this meta, all you need is a strong wall breaker to make the dream happen. Huntail on the other hand can both wallbreak and clean well. I ran adamant because without adamant my set is extremely underwhelming, and I honestly don't reccomend the set i used to most people. It was just a bit of creativity that made the team fun, and it reliably beat all poliwraths except resttalk at +2, and Galbia's Protect Toxic Poliwrath smh. Power Herb bounce is really a surprise factor, and it helped the team get rid of poliwrath, since a well played balance team with poliwrath can eat this team up if i can't get rid of it quickly.

Pawniard and Rampardos was the offensive hazard core that set up stealth rocks and prevented defog with head smashes and defiant. One game I actually switched pawn into a predicted memento and i sweeped, i felt really bad for the poor kid. And CB Stout, no surprises here it is amazing and beautiful and you should use it on most offensive teams tbh. Just seriously, there are so many teams weak to stoutland right now, even with one resist you can wallbreak and it is simply fabulous.

Here's a dandy importable of it.

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Surf

Leafeon @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade
- Grass Whistle

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

Rapidash @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Drill Run
- Morning Sun

Huntail @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Bounce

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Additional Thoughts on the team itself:
  • Don't use grasswhistle leafeon pls, it sucks. Unless you are luckier than me. It is good at setting up on pawns and mightyenas if you hit thanks to their reliability on sucker punch, but personally can't use it.
  • Rapidash+Stoutland is strong. Like use this.
  • Pawniard+Rampardos is great on hyper offense, and 10/10 would reccomend.
  • An element of surprise on any team can win you a game. You don't have to always stick to standard :)

Now, on to the dark horses.

Rampardos @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Surf

Rampardos is reaally fun to use on hyper offense. It is a fabulous lead, and i would use it again on any hyper offense team i build, unless you really need spikes or tspikes, as this lead can't get you that obviously. However, this thing does the job. The main goal of Anti-Lead Rampardos is to prevent opposing stealth rock if possible, and get stealth rocks up itself. It's great if you can get a knockout too, but a skilled player will know how to not fail.

It ohko's max speed and attack golem, and ohko's probopass and bastiodon (lol don't use bastiodon). it also 2hko's piloswine if you feel like it is necessary to get that damage on it more. Often times in a game i wouldn't find stealth rock necessary, so i would rather get the chip damage on piloswine so something like stoutland can come in and clean it up with return without having to use a predicted superpower.

One thing that i don't like about this pokemon is the predictability of it by a skilled and knowledgable player. A seasoned player at pu by now will know about this set, and won't fall for its tricks. also, if people wanted to it is really easy to ev golem to survive surf, and that would ruin the set too. Lead rampardos is really easy to make mediocre if the metagame decided to, so I wouldn't use this consistently or else your opponent will counterbuild it or just play around it well. Another thing is that LACK of golems lately, as piloswine and probopass, and friends have been used more often by the looks of it.

I still think this pokemon is wonderful as a lead though due to its sheer power of head smash. It 2hko's legit everything almost. it is wonderful. If you don't need rocks, you can just use this thing to soften up a counter to say rapidash or stoutland. Rampardos is expendable too, so don't worry about keeping it alive. It is a suicide lead after all. In conclusion, Rampardos is an excellent lead choice on hyper offense and offense atm, but I wouldn't overuse it or you might get counterbuilded eventually.

Huntail @ Power Herb
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Bounce

This set is much more situational than rampardos. In fact, I personally wouldn't use huntail on most teams due to barbaracle and carracosta being a thing. I only had it on mine because i was weak to poliwrath and needed a good lure that can still make a good wincon. Huntail filled the role well, and often bullcrapped games for me so i wouldn't lose ^^. Power herb bounce is there to ohko poliwrath at +2, ohko roselia at +2, and ice beam ohko's Tangela and Leafeon at +2. This is a wonderful wallbreaker to get rid of common counters of it for rapidash or pawn or stout to sweep or wallbreak.

I don't reccomend using this most of the time. I will however use this as an example to create teams that aren't a gimmick, but creative. Creativity makes a team alive and fun, and not only that, it makes a team unpredictable and antimeta. If you add a little spice to your teams, you will catch your opponents off guard and it often can win you the game. So please, once you learn the meta well, try to add your own spins on things, just don't overdo it or the team just becomes uncompetitive.

This is my analysis on these two dark horses, sorry that it was long, but I just really enjoy making things like these. I hope you will use Rampardos on a hyper offense team some time, and remember to add a viable surprise to your team every now and then.

Also, your afterwords feedback doesn't have to be like this thorough to get points, i just enjoy doing this. However, I would love feedback on your dark horses whether you complete the challenge or not! This thread is all about promoting underrated pokemon, its not just all about the challenge! Happy dark horsing ^^

Congrats Solaceon1234, you earned yourself 8 points with your dark horsing thanks to your low percentage total of 26.2% and the regigigas bonus. You can earn yourself some extra points by answering these qusetions, and if you want you can talk more about the dark horses yourself too!

Out of your three dark horses, which one was the most impressive in your opinion, and why?

Explain how wallbreaker rampardos worked out

Did simisear work out? Is it truly the weakest of the three monkeys?

Did your lapras set catch your opponent off guard, or did it end up as a failure?

As a whole, do you think you could create a tournament-worthy team with these pokemon, or are they too unviable?

Finally, you are the second one to use specs regigigas. How did it work out?

I know simisear isn't a dark horse but i'm truly curious on how it worked :p

Also RawMelon Sorry I forgot all about your questions!

Why lombre?

Did it work out well?

Would you ever use it again?

Last edited:
Most impressive I would have to go with specs Regigigas. Idk if it was the surprise factor but it got in a lot of kills and I really wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was, I also preferred the playstyle to the normal stally sets.
Wallbreaker Rampardos was amazing, the damage he puts out is crazy, and having ice beam is pretty fun to catch the likes of torterra and tangela off guard.
I'm probably partially biased towards Simisear 'cause I use him in my normal PU team, I can't seem to like the other monkeys as much as him.
Lapras caught a lot of people off guard, expecting a stally spdef wall I assume, which is what I usually run but I liked running it offensively. A lot more power than I was expecting it to have while still taking hits well.
I could see myself using them in a tournament team, all 3 of them put in work each battle (when I used them properly), it's hard to think of them as unviable after using them for myself.
Finally, specs Regigias was pretty nice. Like I mentioned above, it had the surprise factor which got it at least 1 kill each battle, and like Lapras it also has that extra bulk even when ran offensively allowing me to get one or two sweeps thanks to specs tri attack.

Alt name: proud man
Dark Horses: Croconaw, Lapras
Team: Croconaw, Jumpluff, Stunfisk, Lapras, Tangela, Machoke

Total Usage %: 36.11173%

Croconaw @ Eviolite
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Memento

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 188 Def / 72 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Lapras @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 228 SpA / 32 SpD
Modest Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Leech Seed

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Ice Punch

I just want to clarify this since I have been asked this multiple times by people wanting to do this. There is not a 35% usage cap anymore, however less usage total will make your score higher. Thank you.

Alt name: NTH4
Dark Horse: Regigigas
Total Usage: 37.27565
Floatzel @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Baton Pass
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Happiness: 0
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes

Dusknoir @ Assault Vest
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
- Focus Punch

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Roar

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)