SM PU The Desire To Fight

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon

1517975360500.png1517975378010.png1517975397662.png1517975559148.png1517975594888.png1517975638469.png
Hello, everyone! I'd like to welcome you to my first current generation PU RMT! This is the first team I built for the upcoming PU Winter Seasonal and it has served me well from tournament stakes to casual play. With the current Passimian suspect test I thought I should do this sooner rather than later, but nonetheless I hope you guys enjoy what I consider to be one of the best teams I've ever made.

THE TEAM:

1517976346730.png
Passimian @ Choice Scarf Ability: Receiver
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

When I had started building this team I originally had Choice Banded Passimian, but when I made the change from Silvally-Dragon to Choice Scarf Togedemaru and then finally to Assault Vest Eelektross, a Choice Scarf more beneficial. Choice Scarf Passimian is able to nearly outspeed the entire unboosted metagame, creates a VoltTurn combo with Eelektross, and hits like a truck even without a Choice Band. For something that wallbreaks as well as it does, Passimian also has considerably good defensive stats, which makes it a superior option over Primeape.

1517976446970.png
Weezing @ Rocky Helmet Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt

It's also super important to pack your own Passimian check, and Weezing is one of the best there is. Weezing is the team's phsyically defensive wall and it plays a crucial role of wearing down opposing Passimians over time due to its Rocky Helmet. Toxic Spike support also improves the matchup against things like opposing Spiritombs, Palossands and Gastrodons, so that Passimian or Carracosta can clean up later on.

1517976519036.png
Spiritomb @ Aguav Berry Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Psychic
- Will-O-Wisp

Aguav Berry and Psychic on the same set is a little strange, but helps eliminate Weezing for Passimian and Gurdurr for Carracosta while being able to recover a large amount of health. Aguav and Psychic on separate sets is highly praised, but I find both together is an unexpected marriage that works quite well and Shadow Sneak isn't really necessary anyways. It's just a really good Pursuit-trapper, again removing Psychic-types like Mesprit so that Passimian can finish them off later on.

1517976592668.png
Mesprit @ Colbur Berry Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Dazzling Gleam / U-Turn

Mesprit is the glue holding a lot of this team together. For one, it's the only (well I guess Carracosta could but...) true Pokemon that gets Stealth Rocks on this team. Mesprit keeps up offensive pressure by 2HKOing Altaria with Ice Beam and 2HKOing Spiritomb with Dazzling Gleam. Sometimes I forgo Dazzling Gleam so that Passimian and Eelektross have another VoltTurn partner.

1517976760339.png
Carracosta @ Fightinium Z Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump

This is the absolute star of the show and the reason why I think I love this team so much. At first this was a fully Special set with Ice Beam and Z-Focus Blast, but Megazard recommended to me that I change it Physical Biased Mixed with Z-Superpower instead. Z-Superpower is neat for catching Ferroseed, Non-Scarfed Togedemaru, and Gastrodon (that doesn't Recover on the same turn you AOP) off guard. Hydro Pump allows Carracosta to not be completely walled by things like Weezing, Palossand, and Golurk.

1517976804455.png
Eelektross @ Assault Vest Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature IVs: 1 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]

As stated previously, this slot was held by Silvally-Dragon and Choice Scarf Togedemaru before finally settling upon AV Eelektross. Eelektross helps check Specially Offensive Fire- and Ice-types like Magmortar, Pyroar, Aurorus, and Non-Substitute Jynx. Hidden Power Ice also catches Altaria off guard as it's forces Altaria to Roost the following turn or die to the next attack. Adding no additional weaknesses to the team was also a major plus.

THREATS:

1517979116573.png1517979034703.png1517979423475.png1517979247868.png1517979547573.png

Ferroseed is a huge problem for this team since I don't have Hazard Control and I don't have a Leech Seed immunity. Despite having 3 Levitators, Spikes and Stealth Rocks chip away at my team extremely quickly. It takes a lot of offensive pressure from the likes of Passimian and Eelektross to force Ferroseed out. Musharna and Lilligant both have an easy team beating my team after eliminating Carracosta and Eelektross respectively and getting a boost or two. Lastly, spreading paralysis or getting up Sticky Webs make my already fairly slow team even slower.

REPLAYS:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-698752787 vs lche
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-700202588 vs SergioRules
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-700327916 vs Shadow Hippie
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-697855104 vs Terrakion
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-697839787 vs LordST
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pu-698306811 vs Megazard

SHOUTOUTS:

The entire PU Community, but especially for TJ for tutoring me last month and UberSkitty because memes
The entire ZU Community for teaching me how cool and busted Passimian is before its mainstream hype in PU
And the entire Scrabble Room community for making such a fun game even more fun to play on PS!​

Last edited:
First things first, grats on your success with this team. Also thank you for enjoying/showcasing the best Carracosta set, because I really hope more people will notice how good and underrated it is.
After playing some test games with your squad, I already noticed some minor flaws. Spiritomb isn't really doing anything notable for your team. I guess with the suspect ladder up and Passimians everywhere, it's nice to run as many fighting resists as possible. On this team though, Skuntank is just the overall better option. It has the very(!!!) important hazard removal, especially with Smeargle in the tier, but it's also a better Lilligant check, which is an enormous threat. I would personally run Jolly, to get some chip on banded Passimian, but the mixed version with Fire Blast to lure Ferro. Fire Blast is a 2hko no matter what so it doesnt really matter if you run a -spatk nature or not.

With one fighting check in Spiritomb gone now, I would also change Mesprit from the offensive set to the defensive one. This allows you to keep mons like Passimian and Gurdurr better in check and to relief some pressure from your Weezing. In my honest opinion, offensive rocks Mesprit is kinda overrated right now and the meta is really not in it's favor at the moment. Looking back at your team, Healing Wish is recommended to allow your Carracosta to sweep a second time or to recover you Weezing back up to full.

I also have some minor changes that could help you out. First, I would change HP Ice to Knock Off on Eelektross. Knock Off gives you good utility and it's always nice to remove items. I totally understand that it's nice to hit Altaria super hard, but Altaria is basically set up fodder for Carracosta so you actually want it to be alive. Also running negative speed is nice to get the slow Volt Switch of against other Eelektross'. Another good change would be removing Will-O-Wisp on Weezing and adding Destiny Bond. With DBond + Taunt you can easily remove slow, but dangerous setup sweepers. Spiritomb, Type: Null, Musharna, and many more. Also I'm not a particularly huge fan of Will-O-Wisp combined with Toxic Spikes, but that is probably only my opinion. Rest looks decent.

Passimian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Receiver
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Carracosta @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Solid Rock
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Hydro Pump

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower
- Knock Off

Because I'm not perfectly happy with team 1, I build another team and changed up even more stuff. Firstly, I started with Carracosta again. Then I added the rocks setter and remover in Clefairy and Altaria. Altaria has actually really good synergy with Carracosta, because it's basically the best grass resist in the tier and it resists most of Carra's weaknesses. Clefairy on the other hand pairs well with Altaria being a good Ice "resist" and in general a top tier special sponge. After that I added a fighting type switchin, Weezing. Also a really good mon in the current metagame. After I finished my defensive backbone, I added banded Passimian, because its one of the best wallbreakers in the tier and I want to enjoy the last couple of days with it. Finally scarfed Mesprit joined the squad, for speed control, U-Turn utility and Healing Wish support. Also a really good offensive partner with Passimian if you think about it.

Carracosta @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Solid Rock
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Hydro Pump

Altaria @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Calm Nature
- Defog
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- Toxic

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Toxic Spikes

Weezing @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond

Passimian @ Choice Band
Ability: Receiver
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Mesprit @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Healing Wish

Hope you like my changes!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)