ORAS OU The Devil Wears Prada

Art by the fantastic user Cretacerus

I wish to turn around and return to her warmth and laughter,
but this calling is strong, and denial is impossible.
No measure of weight can justify what now presses into my chest.
To the road, your freedom is awesome,
but does it compare to the sweet embrace of my love?

Introduction:

Hey, all! I made a team for no reason, I guess I just got bored. I've wanted to make an official RMT of mine where I was using Mega Houndoom, and an awesome user offered to draw up a really cool banner for it, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to finally write up this team. I'm pretty well known for using a lot of under-rated Pokémon. Just a warning, some of the music shown here is a bit heavy, so if you're extremely against that kind of stuff, I'd advice you to stay away from them.

Team Preview

To be honest. I hate using over-rated Pokémon. When I see a team of just all A+ or above Pokemon, it frankly just makes me mad. There are so many Pokemon in lower rankings that people don't even look twice at. Things like Mega Houndoom and Serperior, which are fantastic Pokémon. I'm not too good at building teams, especially defensive teams, so naturally it's all offense for me.

I started out with Mega Houndoom, which is not only my favorite Mega, but is a fantastic anti-meta Pokemon that has proven her worth in plenty of battles.

Next was Serperior, who actually teams a lot better with Houndoom then I thought she would.

Next after that was Raikou, who makes a fantastic pivot in partner with Landorus-Therain.

After that was Landorus, who is my check to Swords Dance Talonflame, as well as my hazard setter, who pairs well with Raikou.

After that was Latios, who deals well with Keldeo and can clear hazards if need be.

Finally comes Talonflame. I realized I didn't have much speed control and was really Mega Lopunny weak, so Talonflame fits in perfectly.

The Depths

Daddy said, Daddy said, go out and make me proud.
If only he could see the way you've turned out now.

Go ahead baby and say the words you want from me.
Believe, cause' I'm the one that wrote this song.
If I could turn back time and read your mind,
Besides these dice and cards I'm just another game.
If you could live forever, you'd still wanna be a one night stand.
You can walk on, cause I'm leaving.
Goodbye to you and everything.

Westbound (Houndoom) (F) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Taunt
- Nasty Plot

Honestly, not only is Houndoom a massively under-rated threat in the current metagame, it's probably one of the best Megas to choose from. Houndoom checks a lot of common Pokemon in OU such as Mega Metagross, Bisharp and Mega Sableye. Houndoom pretty much devours any type of stall and a lot of balance as well. It has a fantastic Speed tier and great Special Attack, as well as two really cool dual STAB attacks and deceiving defenses. Flash Fire is a really handy pre-Mega ability, as it gives Houndoom a free switch-in to defensive Heatran and other Fire-type attacks. After a Nasty Plot, so few things want to stay in against a Fire Blast. Taunt helps with Pokemon such as Chansey so Houndoom can freely set up against it. Sadly, Houndoom's typing, while pretty cool offensively, leaves it weak to a lot of common attacking types in OU such as Ground, Water and Fighting. Houndoom is only truly walled by a few things in OU, them being Azumarill, Keldeo, and Tyranitar, and that's where Serperior comes in.

It's because of you I'll never be alright
Because of you I'm losing sleep at night
I've tried, I've tried, I'm losing my mind
Because of you I still find it hard to move on
Oh my god you're killing me
Now drop the act you pity queen
I'll keep you here just shut your mouth
Just let me have my way with you.

Vanity (Serperior) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Giga Drain

Serperior is a vastly under-prepared for threat in OU. It cleanly sweeps teams with very little effort, especially stall teams. Not only does Serperior basically get a free 130 base power Nasty Plot each time it attacks, it's got a fantastic Speed tier that lets it outpace Latias and Latios, and it cleanly picks both of them off with a Dragon Pulse at +2. Serperior, surprisingly, teams up with Houndoom fantastically, being able to handle three of its biggest checks, Keldeo, Azumarill and Tyranitar. I used a Life Orb over Leftovers since Serperior desperately needs the extra power invested into each attack. Talonflame unfortunately makes Serperior pretty difficult to use, as it resists Serperior's main STAB move. I pretty much have to have two solid checks to Talonflame on the team, but it's well worth it once you consider how good Serperior actually is.

Your dress is lined with blood,

You look so much better in red.

And with your throat open,

Your body twitches and squirms,

As you suffocate on your own blood.

With your last thoughts I hope you think of everything I've ever done for you,

And how you left me to lie in my buried agony.

I will never let myself sink that low again.

Lifeless (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Raikou is probably one of the best pivots in OU and pairs up fantastically with Landorus-Therain, as most of their weaknesses are covered fantastically with their typings. Assault Vest Raikou takes special hits like an absolute monster, caring little about most neutral or resisted special attacks. Raikou hits surprisingly hard, even without a boosting item, leaving pretty large dents in any offensive Pokémon with tis powerful Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. Hidden Power Ice hits bulky Ground and Dragon type Pokémon such as Garchomp and Hippowdon that Raikou. Raikou's ability is pretty useless, however, it's not that big of an issue when it actually comes down to using it. Raikou does have pretty mediocre physical defense, but it's usually easy just to switch into Landorus-T when a situation occurs.

Look into my eyes
And write down the words you taste
Blood on your tongue with a crass embrace.
A photo kiss on the day we met said
"This will be a night we won't forget"
Speak slow now, I don't wanna miss when you cry
Glass over diamond blue eyes

The First Punch (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Landorus-T is my hazard setter and my physical wall, and it handles a lot of physical attackers in OU fantastically well. Landorus-T is also my check to Talonflame and Lopunny, as my team has a hard time handling them without it. Earthquake from Landorus-T does a lot of damage even when uninvested, and it does a hefty chunk to anything that doesn't resist it. Landorus does suffer from an annoying lack of recovery, however. This can be a massive problem late-game, as Landorus-T has to be at high health to be able to handle Talonflame. Rock Slide is used over Stone Edge for accuracy reasons, since I usually miss Stone Edge in the most important situations.

How does it feel at the bottom of the barrel?
All your friends don't care, no your friends don't care at all,

Rejected, rejected.
You're never gonna be the one respected.
Infected, infected.
This is the way that every life is ended.
No, no this life won't swallow me whole.
If I could set the clocks back,
I wouldn't be headed for a body bag.
One life and one decision,
Make sure it ends with you still living.

Body Bag (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Latios is one of the most iconic OU Pokemon, and it's easy to see why. Latios has massive fire power between its Draco Meteor, hitting every Pokemon extremely hard. Even resists have a hard time taking hits. Latios has a fantastic Speed tier, being able to Speed tie Pokemon such as Gengar and Mega Metagross. Surf is extremely helpful for Bisharp and Tyranitar switch-ins and hits then extremely hard. Defog clears hazards off the field, which is nice for Talonflame, who takes 50% each time it tries to switch in. Latios suffers from a huge Sucker Punch and Pursuit weakness, and this is unfortunately something I really couldn't solve during team building, but it is a problem I am well aware of.

The only place I'll ever call home, is my deathbed.
I know we're so wrong
But it feels so right.
And its not a party,
If it happens every night.
I'm running on empty,
Your running out of luck.
So lets ditch this city,
Before we sober up

Like Vegas (Talonflame) (F) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Talonflame is my main physical sweeper, and, after a Swords Dance, hits incredibly hard with Sharp Beak boosted Brave Bird. A Jolly nature with 168 Speed is to outspeed opposing Raikou and OHKO them with a +2 Flare Blitz, while the rest of the EVs are thrown into Attack and HP. Talonflame is a fantastic revenge killer with priority Brave Bird, and it beats Mega Lopunny after it Mega Evolves. I run Flare Blitz over Taunt mainly just to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor for Super Effective damage. Talonflame does have an extremely annoying weakness to Stealth Rock, so it's a priority to Defog with Latios before I attempt to sweep with her.​

So that's the team, I'm always open to new suggestions and ideas :]

Banded Azumarill has 0 switch ins on this team, I usually have to sack something off while trying to get a switch in to it.

Mega Lopunny can put huge chunks into this team if it has Ice Punch, as nothing can switch in.

Mega Altaria pretty much has 0 switch-ins on this team outside of Talonflame, and if Stealth Rock is up, then that's pretty much game
If this gets a Dragon Dance, I better hope to god it's low enough to where Talonflame can revenge it

Westbound (Houndoom) (F) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP / 8 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Vanity (Serperior) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Lifeless (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

The First Punch (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn

Body Bag (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog

Like Vegas (Talonflame) (F) @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Mysteria
Cutest user on Smogon. Thank you not only for encouraging me to stay here, but for always chatting with me when I'm feeling down and just being an amazing friend in general. Ily.

xzern
[4/4/2015 10:48:25 AM] ajax god of soap: do u know what my plan is
[4/4/2015 10:48:34 AM] ajax god of soap: my plan is
[4/4/2015 10:48:38 AM] ajax god of soap: to get the booty

Kurona
You're still bae user after like months of knowing you. You're amazing, funny and fun to talk to. You should join the Skype call more often. Also, change that avi.

Tressed
TF2 still sucks, and don't try to change my mind about that :3
Still a long-time friend on here who I won't forget about any time soon.

Laurel
Seduce me cx

Karxrida
Hey, hey guess what? s e x
Also get a bae already it's not that hard

Sun King
An amazing theorymon friend, and the person who I submitted my first theorymon to, who eventually got me into the council. You should come on Skype more often ily

ThePack
COME ON SKYPE PLEASE THANK YOU
ily

boltsandbombers
One of the few people who encouraged me to stay on smogon after personal issues took a huge toll on me, ily you're really fun to talk to x:

Snobalt
Another person who encouraged me to try to get my ladybug, Keep aiming for that snowflake and teardrop buddy n_n

QueBien
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Dr Ciel
Gurlfren, you need to get that CC badge already p_p
Also you're really funny and cool and fun to talk to so ye

DarkNostalgia
I swear for the longest time I thought you were a girl, please don't tear off my limbs and eat them, thank you

ZANBAKUResh
Rip Hydregion tour, I hope someday we'll be able to play in more tournament together

Adamant Zoroark
Tbh you're not half bad looking, I'm sure you'll get that bae in no time p_p

Amaura
Please stop being dead so I can talk to you about bands

-Clone-
Still the biggest nerd on all of Smogon x:

Aragorn the King
The cutest mod on smogon ^^

FookMi?
Sigh we need to talk more often to be honest, you're really cool and you like a lot of the same Pokémon as I do. Talk more p_p

Hulavuta
For the love of god please change that avatar it's literally giving me a massive headache

unfixable
Unfixaboo =^● ⋏ ●^=

SparksBlade
That avatar you made is literally the blurriest thing please fix it or I might eat my arm js

Sparkl3y
You're literally 13, you need to stop thinking about sex so much haha
Also, get that art badge you big weirdo

Soulblaster
Come back :c

firehusky
Get that OU mod yet? :3

Froggyboy
You're actually still a loser, just saying

Celticpride
That CC badge is going to look super weird next to your TR badge, you'll look like a mint p_p

Ransei
We should probably talk more often too, I see you like Mega Absol p_p

SM979
Tbh we should battle more on ORAS, you're super fun to battle, ngl

Last edited:
Hey man, great team using mega houndoom. Looking at your threatlist, a way I found that helps me deal with banded azumarill on my team is to run will-o-wisp over taunt on houndoom, as azumarill loves to switch in and it is hilarious to watch it eat a burn and become practically useless. This also helps against T-tar and mega altaria, who also looks to be a bit threatening to your team. This would make you a bit stall-weak, but nasty plot on houndoom is already very good at letting it break stall. Anyway, nice team.

Fuck you, I don't care if its Easter.

Ok serious time, I agree with the notion of putting Will-O-Wisp on Houndoom over Taunt, and to still give stall trouble, you could put Taunt on your Serperior over Dragon Pulse. You lose the ability to lure in the Lati@s, but you can still screw over stall, and you have checks to them.(See Houndoom and AV Raikou)

Last edited:
Hey Recreant , really nice team you have here! Looking at the team, I see a glaring bisharp weakness, since it can set up an sd on non-boosted serperior, latios, and raikou. Even mega houndoom isn't a 100% check.

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 40 HP / 8 Def Mega Houndoom: 196-231 (65.1 - 76.7%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Because of this, I suggest changing talonflame to a cb set with will-o-wisp, since it lets you cripple this threat. You can then proceed to kill it with houndoom.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-o-Wisp

Another option is adding will-o-wisp onto mega houndoom, but that would leave you a lot weaker to stall teams. Really cool team with some underrated mons, and I hope you can try my suggestion out! ^_^

I really like this team... But, hum, where's the import? Sure I can get by copy/pasting the individual sets, but still...

One thing I can say right off the bat without even trying this team is simple: You said that Landorus-T is primarily for hazard control and a physical wall isn't ?, and you also said that Mega Lopunny and Altaria are a pain thanks to "no switch-ins" aren't?, well... What a terrible doubt: If there's a single Ground type that could check those two at the same type, set up rocks, phaze them out AND have reliable recovery, dayum:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream / Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off

Sure, this isn't the perfect answer to all those threats, especially Azumarill, but as far as my knowledge goes, this calcs speak for themselves:

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 120-142 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 97.3% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 180-213 (42.8 - 50.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
<--- PuP variations
192+ Atk Pixilate Mega Altaria Return vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 142-168 (33.8 - 40%) -- 28.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Pixilate Mega Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 154-183 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- 99.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you really want, you can go with Toxic over Whirlwind to put an timer over Azu and Altaria, but this decision is yours. This team would miss Lando's U-Turn a little, but the payoff of checking 2 otherwise nightmares for the team is much more welcome in my opinion.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Bisharp is not insurmountable for this team, as you can always play around the Suckers with Talonflame (risky but doable, I know from experience). The fact that Bisharp barely has a chance to OHKO Houndoom with Adamant +2 Life Orb after Rocks means it's already a consistent check, but you're going to have to sack something to get Houndoom in unscathed and you lose if it gets past +2. I echo the statement of the above that Will-O should be slashed with Taunt on Houndoom and consider making something else your dedicated Stallbreaker.

Tressed
TF2 still sucks, and don't try to change my mind about that :3
Still a long-time friend on here who I won't forget about any time soon.

Laurel
Seduce me cx​
Your hypocrisy is astounding.

What is the EV spread for on houndoom ?
EDIT: just read the analysis, I don't think banded talonflame is really a thing anymore, and I'm not to worried about chansey so maybe pump it into SPA except for a sr number

I'd like to nominate your formatting skills for S rank!
That aside, this team looks amazing, but having a glaring weakness to a lot of the top tier shit. isn't good, I don't think we can alleviate these weaknesses without a mon change, to be honest with you. I'm a shit player, so I can't give you much on that. this team, looks fucking amazing. I'm having a nerdgasm at the excellent formatting, the underrated mega, (one of my fav megas too), and the song references. Good team man, hope you can find something (or if I ever give a good recommendation, I'm shit at teambuilding) to get over those weaknesses.

McBeengs I have a small nitpick, HJK actually does more than super effective Ice Punch and HJK does more than Return, obviously.

I'd like to nominate your formatting skills for S rank!
That aside, this team looks amazing, but having a glaring weakness to a lot of the top tier shit. isn't good, I don't think we can alleviate these weaknesses without a mon change, to be honest with you. I'm a shit player, so I can't give you much on that. this team, looks fucking amazing. I'm having a nerdgasm at the excellent formatting, the underrated mega, (one of my fav megas too), and the song references. Good team man, hope you can find something (or if I ever give a good recommendation, I'm shit at teambuilding) to get over those weaknesses.

McBeengs I have a small nitpick, HJK actually does more than super effective Ice Punch and HJK does more than Return, obviously.
252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Hippowdon: 153-181 (36.4 - 43%) -- 98.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

For sure, a neutral 130 Base Power STAB'ed move hurts more than a non STAB'ed 75 BP 2x effective one, but it's way better than the same exact move with a 4x weakness. Even if Lopunny use Fake Out and then HJK, it's just a 2HKO anyways. Besides, Hippowdon isn't a counter to Lopunny in any way, it's just a very convenient check that so happens to solve some of this team problems as I already wrote on my suggestion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)