The Dogmatic Philosophy of "Playing to Win".

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, remind me how this is related to Competitive pokemon? The way i see it, competitive pokemon wouldn't be competitive, if it wasn't to win. That's kinda the point. If you don't play to win, i'm sure there are other things to accomdate your needs. So, what's the point behind this thread again?

I'm tempted to say something like "This. Is. Smogon!"

Fuck I'm going to say it anyways.

This. Is. Smogon!

But also, playing to win =/= no creativity. Indeed, creativity often is what wins games. Look in the recent smog to see an example of a creative set working well in a tournament match: DD ChestoRest Kingdra.

If you've played Ubers, you know that everyone uses Lead Deoxys-S. But believe it or not, when Train Man invented the lead (that's right, it wasn't around for most of DP), it was revolutionary.

You gotta do whatever it takes to win, and creativity is a tool to help in that regard.

Neither is to blame, neither is truly right, neither is truly wrong. The only true right or wrong comes in when either philosophy is put in the context of it's opposite. If you can't face that truth, tough luck Chuck.
I have no idea what the point of this thread is then. Your post is basically just a back and forth between the two, stating how everything's fine as it is?

What's the problem then?

MK Ultra

BOOGEYMAN
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm tempted to say something like "This. Is. Smogon!"

Fuck I'm going to say it anyways.

This. Is. Smogon!

But also, playing to win =/= no creativity. Indeed, creativity often is what wins games. Look in the recent smog to see an example of a creative set working well in a tournament match: DD ChestoRest Kingdra.

If you've played Ubers, you know that everyone uses Lead Deoxys-S. But believe it or not, when Train Man invented the lead (that's right, it wasn't around for most of DP), it was revolutionary.

You gotta do whatever it takes to win, and creativity is a tool to help in that regard.
I agree. Playing to win in a wholly centralised metagame creates endless spam, such as in UU - Venusaur/Milotic/Registeel/Uxie. That's practically all I see when I play UU, and there is about to be a huge Heracross influx (which imo should be BL). Using your example, Ubers, Armaldo becomes an excellent lead, purely because of its ability to beat Deoxys-S and leave it with no entry hazards, and it doesn't fare badly against Mewtwo or Dialga. Pokemon doesn't do this, especially right now in OU, as the massive variety causes no specific pokemon to come out on top 100% of the time - in Pokemon, there is no equivalent of SSBB's Meta-Knight. And this is a competitive pokemon forum; if you don't like playing to win, I have to wonder why you signed up. Most people here have fun by winning, not wandering around collecting badges.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also agreeing with mtrs post. I feel that it is also important that 'playing to win' can promote creavivity. This is because once a 'new/viable/revolutionary set comes along there is a large influx of that set. Then people explore different ways to take it out. For example in UU (and to a degree OU) Lanturn is slightly popular due to it being able to handle F/W/G cores.

EDIT 900 posts

Congratulations, you just wrote the equivalent of a small essay without even making a point.

You say that it's extremist competitive players who "ruin the game for the rest of them", but then you say that it's both the casual and competitive community's fault? Of course extremists make it less fun. One's that are casual and competitive who are too extreme to their sides aren't as fun to play against, and you know what I say? Don't play Pokemon with those people.

No one is "ruining the game" in the way you make it seem. You are not being forced to play against the minority of players who take it too seriously (Or not seriously enough). Most players just use all sources available to them to win, without any spite against the other player or anything. That's the point of competitive Pokemon battling communities such as Smogon. If you can't face the truth, then tough luck, Chuck.

Once again, I would like to point out the fact that you didn't even get anywhere in your post, only running around in a circle around different conclusions and accusations.

haunter

Banned deucer.
If you aren't playing to win, you're a scrub. It is pretty simple considering this entire game is based on you defeating all of your opponent's pokemon before they beat you. Also, the fact that this is meant to be a competitive site. The idea of "casual" or "fun" players do not exist here. If that is what players truly believe they should find another site that suits their wants.
Goof is just a bit rude, but he's basically right. Smogon is a competitive Pokemon community and, as such, the vast majority of the users here play just to win. There is not much to add to this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)