The Double Battle Metagame (GBU)

breh

強いだね
while I realize that this is a bit early:

what do you guys think will the the impact of telepathy gardevoir? could be a fun poke to give a scarf to and stick on a rain team.

same goes for dry skin jynx: it's like parasect but with a worse sleep move.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Telepathy Gardevoir faces huge competition with Musharna, it doesn't even get helping hand if I remember correctly, but heal pulse might work out something. It also gets Imprison + Trick room but boasting a 60 base hp and and 60 base defense is horrible, when you can have the 108 hp and 90 SpD of Musharna.

On a side note this post is biased <.<.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Telepathy Gardevoir may or may not have access to Helping Hand, depending upon how gamefreak allocates moves from the dream world to it; however, Musharna outclasses it in almost every way outside of Heal Pulse thanks to higher defenses, lower Speed, and a very similar movepool (although with Helping Hand).

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Well I want to make a musharna thats bulky on the defensive side while being able to take special attacks like chandy shadow ball, and hydrei dark pulse. Anyone got a ev spread?

btw moveset is:
trick room, helping hand, light screen, psycic.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well I want to make a musharna thats bulky on the defensive side while being able to take special attacks like chandy shadow ball, and hydrei dark pulse. Anyone got a ev spread?

btw moveset is:
trick room, helping hand, light screen, psycic.
Err...this site may help you. On the other hand...

Telepathy Ralts gets Helping Hand as a Dream World move.
Telepathy Ralts is released <.<. Gosh gamefreak why you troll Musharna, Gardevoir will still be the worse in terms of defense, but it looks like it actually can DO better for anti-trickroom teams thanks to it's access to the coveted imprison, and a much larger base speed, (I think Bronzong's Gyro Balls take a large chunk out though).

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Err...this site may help you. On the other hand...

Telepathy Ralts is released <.<. Gosh gamefreak why you troll Musharna, Gardevoir will still be the worse in terms of defense, but it looks like it actually can DO better for anti-trickroom teams thanks to it's access to the coveted imprison, and a much larger base speed, (I think Bronzong's Gyro Balls take a large chunk out though).
The musharna analysis is just a standard 252 hp, 252 sp.atk. While effective. The role my musha plays is supportive, like cress except musha is immune to explosion. Im looking for bulk on both sides.

Well, I once played tlyee61 on randoms and we could contact each other perfectly...maybe this is not the correct place to ask that since only a few users follow these threads...
Oh yeah, I remember that! Although, your name was Golden and your greeting was Yo! I'm EMPOLEON... ^^;

Wanting to try something, but I need to know the game mechanics first......

If Audino w/ Regenerator ability uses Entertainment on it's teammate, and Audino's teammate switches out, U-turn's out, or gets forced out via Roar/Whirlwind/Dragon Tail/Circle Throw/Red Card (while having the Entertainment induced Regenerator ability), does the switched out teammate gain 1/3 of it's original HP back?

I don't know if this is really obvious or if this is considered a nonissue, but on the many Pokemon with equal Def/SpD stats, if I'm doing a 252/252 EV spread and I don't have either bulk going into a defense, I find it useful to put the remaining 6 in SpD rather than Defense. This is because of the unusually large number of Porygon2/Porygon-Z I seem to see, and guaranteeing that it doesn't get a SpA boost is nice. Of course, if you don't see many Porygon-Z it doesn't matter much, and I'm not sure how many people do simple 252/252 spreads.

Anyone tried a tailwind Tornadus?
It is amazing. I use a set with tailwind, taunt, acrobatics, u-turn with a flying gem. Rarely ever failed me. I use it along side Hydregion, who greatly appreciates the tailwind boost. Also, CB Terrakion makes a wonderful partner, as rock slide hits both opponents for massive damage, and the tailwind makes it near unstoppable.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Anyone tried a tailwind Tornadus?
It is amazing. I use a set with tailwind, taunt, acrobatics, u-turn with a flying gem. Rarely ever failed me. I use it along side Hydregion, who greatly appreciates the tailwind boost. Also, CB Terrakion makes a wonderful partner, as rock slide hits both opponents for massive damage, and the tailwind makes it near unstoppable.
Tornadus using tailwind is pretty common, though how effective is U-turn, as that seems more of a singles tornadus.

Also I decided I'm going to test scarf typhlosion. I mean who's gonna suspect someone using it. Also it gets suprise hits on mons like tornadus, landy, and weaville to name a few. Though right now i'm figuring out partners. I thought of gem latios to beat out terrakion, and dragons, and hitmontop to provide support as typlosion is weak to almost all common spread moves.

Tornadus using tailwind is pretty common, though how effective is U-turn, as that seems more of a singles tornadus.

Also I decided I'm going to test scarf typhlosion. I mean who's gonna suspect someone using it. Also it gets suprise hits on mons like tornadus, landy, and weaville to name a few. Though right now i'm figuring out partners. I thought of gem latios to beat out terrakion, and dragons, and hitmontop to provide support as typlosion is weak to almost all common spread moves.
Adding an ideal to your ideal.

This may seem odd, but maybe keep Lopunny on tap, and loose the Scarf?

Here's why...

Lopunny (hold a Focus Sash) is (iirc) the fastest user of "After You", with base 115 speed. In case you need to switch moves, you can still do so, and still hit a theoretical 115 speed tie.

This would also allow you to add Trick Room speed tier Pokes to your team, as well as Trick Room itself. This would give vaibility to ErupTran, Wialord, and Water Spout Jellicect. Not to mention it makes Breloom insane w/ a theoretical base 115 speed Spore, and a theoretical base 115 speed, neutral priority Focus Punch.

Note: This isn't my original ideal, but I got raped by a Japanese player using a Lopunny + Scrafty lead yesterday.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've noticed a ton of people using the pledge moves when I played yesterday which was pretty funny to see!

I also played the same Japanese guy with lopunny and scrafty which fortunately my team was good against but I can totally see people being caught off guard by it.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Adding an ideal to your ideal.

This may seem odd, but maybe keep Lopunny on tap, and loose the Scarf?

Here's why...

Lopunny (hold a Focus Sash) is (iirc) the fastest user of "After You", with base 115 speed. In case you need to switch moves, you can still do so, and still hit a theoretical 115 speed tie.

This would also allow you to add Trick Room speed tier Pokes to your team, as well as Trick Room itself. This would give vaibility to ErupTran, Wialord, and Water Spout Jellicect. Not to mention it makes Breloom insane w/ a theoretical base 115 speed Spore, and a theoretical base 115 speed, neutral priority Focus Punch.

Note: This isn't my original ideal, but I got raped by a Japanese player using a Lopunny + Scrafty lead yesterday.
Hah thats actually cool. I've been looking for a unique type of team to test, as I'm done with my vgc team, and im tired of using standard teams. This also gives me a chance to put fire gem on typlosion.

Also while typing this i thought if a funny strategy to troll opponents. I lead with a fast after you user, and a level 1 smeargle. After you gives me a chance to go 1st and dark void away. Then i just endeaver+attack. Pretty gimmicky, but I can see people seeing that lead combo, and saying wtf.

This is an awesome strategy. Lopunny has base 105 speed, but Cinccino does get After You and base 115 speed as well, making it the actual fastest user.

Lol I love that team combo. Right now im running Lucario/Scrafty my lucario has the move feint. Trust me when I say people rage over getting there poke KO by feint.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Imo feint is a under-rated move. It can easily beat sashers using protect, not to mention just finish em off. On my hitmontop when I didn't have access to sucker punch I used feint, and it helped me score key ko's especially in positions where your opponents are gonna outspeed you.

I've been doing pretty darn well with a team I've been testing(im like 23-2), and the pokemon thats been holding my team together is infernape.

I've been using this set:
infernape@focus sash
hasty
72 atk,180 sp.atk, 252 speed
-encore -close combat
-fake out -overheat

While fairly standard, encore is sooo underated. I usually lock someone in protect(I ran a tailwind team at one point, imagine how many protects i encored.), and overheat is generally better in damage out put than heat wave.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Today I battled a vgc 09 style rain team. I was drawing blanks when i saw team preview seeing ludicolo, crobat, raichu, kingdra, toxicroak, and terrakion. I saw all these drizzle mons without there drizzle summoner politoed, but it all came to me when he led ludicolo, and crobat, and I yelled vgc 09. Though I was at a poor matchup (me rotom, and garchomp). He fake out my rotom and easily set up rain dance. from there I was at a total disadvantage and lose 2-0 with his raichu, and scarf terrakion out.

It's amusing that 85% of the people I have just come across have a team for this tournament that they are testing out. I was doing the same after breeding and training a few, and I'm pretty happy how things went. I'm relatively new to doubles but won more than I did lose. The cherry on the top was beating a Japanese player with a 1700+ rating (and me with my 1515 or whatever) and him disconnecting. Just shows that they really don't want their ratings to take such a hit. Oh well.

Seeing as I am pretty new to doubles, the team I trained for this tournament is pretty standard - so I've been using Mienshao, Hydreigon, Reuniclus, Amoongus, Eelektross (I love this thing) and Terrakion.

My experiences recently mirror those. Since I write down details of every match I do, I could go back and find out for sure, but I'd say offhand that more than 75% of the teams I've faced since the Autumn Friendly signups began have been VGC2011-compatible.

I'd been torn whether or not to practice for the Autumn Friendly or for the regionals, but seeing as that I'm no good at VGC2011 I've basically stopped practicing for that and focused on the other; I'm probably just going to put together a team, go in, and record the teams I face and the rating changes I get (and honestly, the recording will probably be the most frun part of it all) when the Autumn Friendly goes live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)