The Everything Eli Manning Thread - Overrated Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
hey ravens fans, at least courtney upshaw was drafted as your first pick right???
:P
Not cool.....Upshaw will be good but Suggs is Suggs. This news is fucking bullshit, however it's believed to be a partial tear which means an October/November return is actually possibly!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Can we ban some hero already? D: If we're going to talk about Eli, how about we talk about his upcoming SNL hosting gig. ;[

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I have a better idea:

NEW GAME

Go to the old NFL thread and, starting at the beginning, look at your posts and see how correct/awfully incorrect you were about things. ONLY DO YOUR OWN POSTS, DO NOT TALK ABOUT ANYONE ELSE'S.

I see both the good and bad of the Evans trade. We're going to miss his leadership on and off the field, and his deep threat pulled lots of coverage to open up Steve Johnson for so many catches. They're putting a lot of pressure on all our young WRs, especially the Donalds.

On the other hand, we're not exactly in a "win now" mode, and Evans deserves to go somewhere that will give him a chance to compete for a championship. My buddy put it this way: in a couple years when all this hopefully comes together, it'll be nice to have a core groups of receivers who played a lot and grew and matured, rather than holding on to an Evans who might be losing a step.

And I'm happy we got a 4th, considering he is coming off a 37 catch season, and also how little WRs go for these days.
Oh fuck, could I have been any more right about all this? Goddamn, I win.

Giants are not going to make much noise this year, missing too many key pieces. Lions are well on their way, but I don't see them clearing the hurdle to the playoffs just yet.
Wait, no, scratch that. I'm retarded.

Agreeing completely. At least when the Bills played Trent Edwards for the first two games last year, it was because the new coach/GM combo thought he looked good in preseason and gave him the regular season audition. Failed spectacularly, he did. Del Rio knows what he has in Garrard, and while it's still suspect to wait this long, he did what he felt best for the team.
Ouch. Swing and a miss again.

Fuck that, we're making some noise this season.
Posted after the Bills week 1 domination of the Chiefs. I was right, we did make noise... until we put half the team on IR.

????????????
Originally posted after week 5. Reposting for posterity (and lols).

Still hard to believe the Bills were the highest AFC seed at one week in time...still, it got 4/6 AFC teams right and 7/8 NFC teams right that were eventual playoff participants in that week 5, not that bad.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Still hard to believe the Bills were the highest AFC seed at one week in time...
Not really. Their offense was a fucking machine, marching up and down the field. If they hadn't been decimated by injuries, they were en route to the playoffs and possibly a first-round bye.

My first post. Right before the Championship Games. I lurked and read the thread on a constant basis before this however.

Where did you get that?Its genius!!!

And ive been saying it for a while...whoever won this game(Packers/Giants) went to the super bowl.

I mean, Smith gets credit for his last drive and that awesome touchdown where ren ran it, but he is a terrible quaterback.

5(or was it six??) turnovers and they barely won?It was just pathetic.Even though they lost, i still think the Saints are the better team...and i f*ucking hate the saints.

As long as Eli/Cruz/Jacobs/Ballard/Manningham/Giantsingeneral dont turn the ball over more than once, the Giants should easily march and stomp over the 49ers.

Giants have the NFC without question.

As for the AFC, Patriots win it rather easily.

Sure, the Ravens have a good defense, but Brady will put up points in the board either way and Flacco will not be able to match him.

So crazy mistakes aside, it looks to be a Giants vs Patriots SB this year.

I was right about the Super Bowl match up... But boy was i wrong about the difficulty of the games. The Giants ended up winning how? By not making mistakes.

Can we ban some hero already? D: If we're going to talk about Eli, how about we talk about his upcoming SNL hosting gig. ;[

I saw the promos.. and boy was it weird. Goofy Eli at his best. I'm still watching it though.

Not really. Their offense was a fucking machine, marching up and down the field. If they hadn't been decimated by injuries, they were en route to the playoffs and possibly a first-round bye.

I'm on record and officially on the Bills wagon. Their in prime position to take the AFC East title, as it's one of the weakest divisions right now. Oh and praying the Bills move to LA. If that were to happen, would you still like them?

My point is, the Redskins had no chance of making the playoffs, so it's just funny that they were there after 5 weeks.
I dunno, till Rex Grossman proved why he fails as a starter, the Redskins weren't looking half bad under Shanahan's second year...then of course, once bad Grossman showed, everyone else decided to go to hell too.

I wonder if the Vikings or Jaguars(was there talks about the Bills moving?) would change their name if they move...... Speaking of changing names, fun fact, did you know when the Oilers moved to Tenn., they were almost going to be called the Copperheads? Would of been way better than the overused Titans. >_>

Anyway, I was pleased with Miami's draft. I know a lot of people think picking Tannehill at 8 was to high, but I was so glad they picked a QB in the draft. I was sick and tired of them trying to find a QB that was currently in the NFL, and I just wanted someone fresh and new. I think he has the potential to be a solid QB.

My point is, the Redskins had no chance of making the playoffs, so it's just funny that they were there after 5 weeks.
I know, I was just lamenting how depressed I was when they started 3-1 because anyone who understands football knew it meant we were going to lose a LOT of games in a row.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You didn't seriously just call the AFC East one of the weakest divisions, did you?

Please tell me you're just trolling...
lol I thought we all started ignoring him a long time ago. Luckily he'll only be posting until the Giants lose their first game.

And just so everyone knows how much BS 'some hero' is flooding this thread with before the season starts, only the AFC North and NFC North had more wins than the AFC East last year as a division, and every team got better this year. The NFC East which he roots for out of his hometown of LA (coughbandcoughwagon) was the second worst division in the league, the only team over .500 had a negative point differential in the regular season. To put it in perspective, the NFC East is as good as the NFC West lol

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
I'm not so sure I'd call the AFC East the best division. The Bills are charging and the Pats are the standard, yes, but Miami is in full rebuild mode and I'm of the opinion that the Jets are backpedaling. If I had to go with a strongest division, I'd go with the NFC North, regardless of the Vikings dragging it down.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I didn't mean to say that the AFC East was the best division, I was pointing out that no rational person could call it "one of the weakest" divisions.

I think the AFC North is the best personally, but the NFC North is my favorite to watch when the Pats aren't on

I didn't mean to say that the AFC East was the best division, I was pointing out that no rational person could call it "one of the weakest" divisions.

I think the AFC North is the best personally, but the NFC North is my favorite to watch when the Pats aren't on
Why

It's just the packers shitstomping everyone because the other team's management have no fucking clue what they are doing

I still think the NFC East even while having a huge down year last year is the best in football. The Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles usually are all always competing to win this division late in the year or competing for a wild card spot. Now even the Redskins could join the mix with a really underrated defense, RGIII, and the weapons they brought him in FA. The Cowboys have fixed their secondary woes with the draft of Morris Claiborne, the Giants will be defending their super bowl title, and the Eagles will most likely be better than 8-8.

How could the AFC East or the AFC North be the best divisions in football? Sure the Patriots are great but the Jets have huge QB issues, the Dolphins are starting a raw rookie QB, and the Bills still have yet to prove they can play a 16 game season with any sort of consistency. The Ravens just lost one of their best edge rushers in Terrell Suggs, the Steelers are rebuilding their offensive line ( and in a QB driven league thats a problem ) and the Bengals Andy Dalton needs to prove he can still play well with the league having one year to see how he plays.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
Why

It's just the packers shitstomping everyone because the other team's management have no fucking clue what they are doing
Well, the Packers mostly. I also find the Lions to be entertaining whether their exciting offense is on the field or their hilariously self-destructive defense is out there. The Bears are fierce when they're actually playing well. And until last season the Vikings have had some of the most dynamic players in the league.

I still think the NFC East even while having a huge down year last year is the best in football. The Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles usually are all always competing to win this division late in the year or competing for a wild card spot.
They are one of the most competitive divisions in terms of records but that's only because of how mediocre all the teams are. It's only competitive because none of the teams are good enough to take it over. If a team like Baltimore or even Detroit was in that division they would run away with it, and they make more sense to be in the "East" than the Dallas Cowboys do lol

How could the AFC East or the AFC North be the best divisions in football? Sure the Patriots are great but the Jets have huge QB issues, the Dolphins are starting a raw rookie QB, and the Bills still have yet to prove they can play a 16 game season with any sort of consistency. The Ravens just lost one of their best edge rushers in Terrell Suggs, the Steelers are rebuilding their offensive line ( and in a QB driven league thats a problem ) and the Bengals Andy Dalton needs to prove he can still play well with the league having one year to see how he plays.
9 of the last 12 AFC champions have been from either the AFC East or North, and 6 of the last 12 Super Bowl winners have also been from those two divisions. These two divisions have been unquestionably the most dominant since 2000 both championship-wise and statistically on the field. If it wasn't for Peyton Manning, these numbers would be even more lopsided for the AFC East and North.

The Giants are the only NFC East team to win the Super Bowl in the last 17 years. It's rare that this division produces a quality team.

As far as this season goes, the Pats are obviously a SB contender, the Jets are currently making annual runs at playoff berths, the Bills got better on defense after showing flashes last season, and the Dolphins still have one of the better defenses in the league which will make them tough competition for any team. The AFC East does not have any auto-win games for opponents...there are no teams like the Jaguars and Rams etc. That's why I think they are one of the best divisions.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
They are one of the most competitive divisions in terms of records but that's only because of how mediocre all the teams are. It's only competitive because none of the teams are good enough to take it over. If a team like Baltimore or even Detroit was in that division they would run away with it, and they make more sense to be in the "East" than the Dallas Cowboys do lol
right. the team that has won two superbowls in the last 4 years is mediocre. I'll remember that.

As far as strongest divisions, I think I'd put the AFC North and NFC North at a tie. After that follows the AFC East (mostly due to the pats, rest of the divisions is "mediocre"...) and then the NFC East / NFC South / AFC West are all ranked.

You didn't seriously just call the AFC East one of the weakest divisions, did you?

Please tell me you're just trolling...
Well no. The Patriots, the best team in the division, is currently at it's weakest it has been in recent years(everyone saw the games against good teams right?) and after them you have the average Jets, up-and-coming-but-not-yet-proven Bills and the lol Dolphins. The Jets can only go downhill at this point if they keep trying to pass the ball and the Patriots collapse when facing good teams. So while not the weakest(the AFC South and NFC West get that award) it's in the bottom three.

The AFC North is currently the best division. Depending on how good the Bears and Panthers are this year.

9 of the last 12 AFC champions have been from either the AFC East or North, and 6 of the last 12 Super Bowl winners have also been from those two divisions.
This is misleading, because 8/5 of those 12 winners have been either the Pats or the Steelers. Meanwhile, the Bills and Browns haven't made the playoffs, and the Bungles, Dolphins, and Jets have only made it a few times between them.

In the AFC North, you've got the Steelers and Ravens at the top, and while they might decline a little due to age/injury it shouldn't be too significant. The Bengals and Browns have the potential to be decent, so they get my tabs for best division. It's not often you see three playoff teams from one division anyway, even if the Bengals got the gift of scheduling last season. After that, I'd put the NFC North because the Lions and Bears should improve on where they were last year, and many people forget how the Bears were in prime position to take a wild card spot until Cutler/Forte got injured.

The NFC East was an embarrassment last year, Yondie; thanks to scheduling, they had the potential to have 3 playoff teams, and it blew up in their faces. They went a combined 1-7 against the NFC South and NFC North, the only win being Dallas against Tampa Bay. Only the Giants had a winning record against the AFC East, whom they swept, while they went a combined 9-7 against everyone's favorite tab for "worst division", the NFC West. Combined, that's 10-14 against the rest of the NFC.

Kelleh, he has the AFC West as one of the toughest so he clearly isn't using last years records. Don't know what he is using... Maybe potential? Even then the AFC West sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)