The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the Doug Marrone hiring was pretty funny, a wee bit of a demotion there considering he was an alleged favorite to go back to the Jets. But hey, he's cashing in still courtesy of the Bills, maybe he decided he didn't want to deal with the crap a HC goes through or got burned out or something and would rather have a smaller role. That does hurt him though as bailing on a team like that probably doesn't endear loyalty to any teams looking to hire for a HC.

Trestman isn't that bad if he's focusing only on offense, Ravens could do worse. Chan Gailey as the Jets OC is far funnier.

the NFL uses 12 footballs per game

11 were found to be underinflated

the last one was Andrew Luck's :^)

BALLGHAZI 2015 NEVAR 4GET

Why do the Patriots get caught doing retarded things when they don't even need to? It's obvious by now that Spygate wasn't necessary at all to their success. Why deflate the balls when they were already crushing the Colts? We'll see how this pans out over the next few days.

On another subject, I am truly sorry Deschain

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm not even sure how they determined this two days after the fact anyway. Surely they wouldn't just haphazardly check the balls two days after the fact, no? It's not like footballs and similar stuff are perfectly 100% air tight. They surely couldn't possibly have been "tampered" with the past two days, well after it's no longer necessary to keep balls inflated to game-ready level. Why only eleven and not all twelve? etc.

Besides which, I doubt the head ref actually measures them before the game directly and likely relies on feel, which can easily lead to passing slightly underinflated balls through inspection. And the procedure is really fucking dumb anyway: prepare the balls two days in advance to give to League officials... then get them back before the game so they could potentially be tampered with? I mean, if they think it's such a big deal then they shouldn't give back control of the footballs to the individual teams at all. Why do they need "prepared" multiple days in advance? They're fucking footballs, you can literally just have them laying around and pump them up minutes before the game if they're not properly inflated. They're not fragile nor does it take a team of scientists to take an air pump to a ball.

God damn this is the dumbest fucking shit.

On another subject, I am truly sorry Deschain
i'm fine with Marrone at OL coach/"asst HC" (whatever that means).

Greg Olsen at OC, which was reported yesterday, and subsequently denied (but not out right)...not so much. hoping he's just the QB coach.

wanted Trestman...would be fine with Gase...

Olsen was just dreadful at OC the past couple years. I guess he or someone drew up good red zone plays (Oakland was 1st or 2nd in red zone efficiency) but the second down runs that went anywhere from -2 to 2 yards got real old real quick.

Was it the case that Oakland only made it to the red zone like 12 times all year? Because its ridiculous to think they were any good in any way on offense.

Olsen was just dreadful at OC the past couple years. I guess he or someone drew up good red zone plays (Oakland was 1st or 2nd in red zone efficiency) but the second down runs that went anywhere from -2 to 2 yards got real old real quick.
ah, you were talking about Olsen.

*sigh*

i'm not happy about it at all.

but i'll wait and see before i get mad about it.

I don't have beef with Seattle for being underdogs or winning or being good or whatever.
I hate them for being arrogant assholes who think they are God's gift to football. You'd think being the underdog for so long would give you a degree of humility, not the opposite.
It's because the star players on the team are all on defense. So it's really hard for them to get noticed. They have to act cocky and full of swag. For example, the first time I heard of these guys was when they shoved Bradys words back to his face. Defensive players can get away with more imo, they have a hard enough job. Plus they earned it.

I remember before sb 42 Brady, like the asshole he was before the whoopin, also made fun of the giants defense and he thought it was hilarious that someone predicted the Patriots were going to be held to 17 points. That Patriots team acted like gods gift to football. From the coach to the arrogant qb. My all time favorite play is still Jay Alfords giant middle finger sack on Brady on the final drive of that sb. "The comeback kid" my ass. Greatest offense ever my ass. 18-0 my ass. Brady couldn't even get a single yard on that final drive. That final blast to the face I think changed Brady for the better. I couldn't stand him before that. I think the Seahawks are going through that. Having been disrespected and called nobodies by Brady. Last time it was Wilson who saved them but i'm hoping they can show Brady not to look down on opponents again.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
who the fuck cares? you play to win, as long as you aren't out there ending people's careers, cheat as much as you want as long as you don't get caught.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
This just confirmed what we all knew. Patriots = CHEATERS
List of teams that have won Super Bowls without breaking rules along the way: None. Not one of them.

For chrissakes this witch hunt is based entirely because haters gonna hate, and not out of any real respect for the integrity of the game. You want to talk integrity? Start seriously testing players for PEDs. Don't talk about "deflated balls" which literally have a comparable competitive advantage of one team owning a lucky rabbit's foot.

From now on my attitude towards this is no longer "holy shit this hatred is appalling and gross" it is now, "SOUNDS LIKE SOME BITCHES ARE PEANUT BUTTER AND JEALOUS".

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
List of teams that have won Super Bowls without breaking rules along the way: None. Not one of them.

For chrissakes this witch hunt is based entirely because haters gonna hate, and not out of any real respect for the integrity of the game. You want to talk integrity? Start seriously testing players for PEDs. Don't talk about "deflated balls" which literally have a comparable competitive advantage of one team owning a lucky rabbit's foot.

From now on my attitude towards this is no longer "holy shit this hatred is appalling and gross" it is now, "SOUNDS LIKE SOME BITCHES ARE PEANUT BUTTER AND JEALOUS".
I don't think the game would have turned out much different than it did, but cheating is cheating and should be punished if caught.

You're not wrong when you point out the hypocrisy in fussing over the balls and seemingly ignoring PEDs, but I'm sure it's more complicated than we realize. Ball inflation is something incredibly simple that is hard to manipulate and easy to watch for when they care to. It's also on a much smaller scale, seeing as how there are 12 balls used for a given game as opposed to several times more active players.

Obviously there are always going to be instances of cheating that are not caught, and every team breaks the rules in one form or another. However, deflating the balls is a much more overt tactic.

I think dismissing it as a "witch hunt" and being based "entirely" on hate and not out of respect for the game is a massive overreaction. You're upset and passionate because your team is being attacked and that's fine, but don't let it cloud your judgment. Your team got caught cheating, regardless of how minor you think it is, and they will ultimately be punished for it somehow. Trying to justify it or downplay it is an equal indictment of the game's integrity, so you're contributing to the same problem you are complaining about.

Last edited:

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't understand how any Patriots fan can still stand by the actions of Bellichick and the current regime with a straight face. This is (potentially) the second time they've been caught cheating on a grand scale. I get you want to support your team, but to think that people who are pissed off at this are just salty losers is beyond asinine.

overreactions itt

I think you're underestimating a bit the advantage that can be gained from using an underinflated ball, ESPECIALLY in the rain.
sportscience about DEFLATEGATE

too long didn't watch summary

This is (potentially) the second time they've been caught cheating on a grand scale.
haha ok

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinClarkWSJ/status/557961198856306688?p=v

For chrissakes this witch hunt is based entirely because haters gonna hate, and not out of any real respect for the integrity of the game.
god forbid people are overly suspicious/critical of literally the only team busted for institutionalized cheating in ??? years

(bountygate was more of a moral/ethical thing, and was much more deserving of the harsher penalties anyway)

You want to talk integrity? Start seriously testing players for PEDs.
shhh, how is the NFL going to make money if all the good players get suspended? besides, roger goodell would never let such an affront to the NFL rules and player safety stand :^)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
thanks for the info Killah, I figured it made more of a difference than the science appears to indicate. I will remove that piece of my post

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I don't think the game would have turned out much different than it did, but cheating is cheating and should be punished if caught.
I agree with this, but only if you also call a duck a duck. The little yellow flag that refs throw around isn't for decorative purposes, it's there to enforce rules when a team breaks them. By definition every time a penalty flag is thrown the refs have CAUGHT someone cheating (and we all know that they don't catch everything and sometimes blatantly let things slide). But we don't give a fuck about THOSE rules being broken. Those rules are DIFFERENT. Because y'know... reasons and stuff.

Again, the two most penalized teams in the league are in this year's superbowl, but only one of them is being called a cheater right now. This isn't about "WE NEED TO PUT AN END TO CHEATING".

You're not wrong when you point out the hypocrisy in fussing over the balls and seemingly ignoring PEDs, but I'm sure it's more complicated than we realize. Ball inflation is something incredibly simple that is hard to manipulate and easy to watch for when they care to. It's also on a much smaller scale, seeing as how there are 12 balls used for a given game as opposed to several times more active players.

Obviously there are always going to be instances of cheating that are not caught, and every team breaks the rules in one form or another. However, deflating the balls is a much more overt tactic.

I think dismissing it as a "witch hunt" and being based "entirely" on hate and not out of respect for the game is a massive overreaction. You're upset and passionate because your team is being attacked and that's fine, but don't let it cloud your judgment. Your team got caught cheating, regardless of how minor you think it is, and they will ultimately be punished for it somehow. Trying to justify it or downplay it is an equal indictment of the game's integrity, so you're contributing to the same problem you are complaining about.
To be clear, the Patriots should be punished for this, and the rulebook states that a $25,000 fine is the standard punishment for this breach of rules. For perspective on how severe the rulebook itself thinks this breach is, Marshawn Lynch just got fined $20,000 for grabbing his crotch after the game tying touchdown. But apparently what the Patriots did was an egregious and overt act of cheating so sinister and so evil that everyone is up in arms for them to get punished by losing draft picks and a fined multiple times over what the rulebook recommends. Let us be clear here, the Patriots are about to get the NFL equivalent of Life in Prison for what effectively amounts to shoplifting with a previous record. Why? For what possible reason are the Patriots and ONLY the Patriots being persecuted? Aaron Rodgers has said he prefers his balls overinflated, but the league is not launching an investigation into him. Nor are they launching investigations into kickers who would also prefer their balls overinflated. They are targetting one team and one team only, entirely because another team complained. This tells us that the NFL has no real want of true agency in prosecuting cheaters, and they only acted because a team or teams forced them to act. To try and paint this as anything other than haters gonna hate is disingenuous. Because god knows that the NFL has built itself in the past decade or more on NOT going after cheaters, and only stepping in on the ones other teams complain about. WHICH, surprise surprise, is gonna be the most consistently successful franchise possibly in sports history.

Like seriously, filming defensive signals from the wrong location (Because keep in mind you could actually film them from other locations legally)? Slightly under-inflated balls? Both times brought to the attention of the masses because a team who lost complained about it to the NFL and informed their beat-writers?

Meanwhile, we have bounty-gate with the Saints which is literally about injuring other players, and people are calling for a similar punishment to be brought about for the Patriots... Like seriously... 2 PSI under is equivalent to a coach telling his players to injure opposing players for monetary gain? Please tell me more about how this is REALLY about the integrity of Football.

Watching the Raven's super bowl a couple years ago, I'm surprised no one got up in arms about the final kickoff. I distinctly remember flacco telling teammates "if he breaks out to return it for a TD I'll run out and tackle him myself. They can't give him a touchdown right?" Clear intent to cheat in basically the worst way, but it never happened of course. Just a reason why I'll never respect average joe.
I think it's similar to the Patriots' situation in that both team/player had intent to cheat but didn't affect the game's outcome.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Watching the Raven's super bowl a couple years ago, I'm surprised no one got up in arms about the final kickoff. I distinctly remember flacco telling teammates "if he breaks out to return it for a TD I'll run out and tackle him myself. They can't give him a touchdown right?" Clear intent to cheat in basically the worst way, but it never happened of course. Just a reason why I'll never respect average joe.
I think it's similar to the Patriots' situation in that both team/player had intent to cheat but didn't affect the game's outcome.
Except one team cheated and another didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)