The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
@ CaptKirby - I'm a fan of the Texas Rangers, my Ice Hockey team (the San Jose Sharks) experiences a different kind of futility. They're similar to the Mavericks (until this year) in that they make the playoffs often but find new and creative ways to choke and fuck up each and every time -_-. Last year it was getting eliminated by the most flukey goal I've seen in my life lol. Back to the Rangers, I agree - we just got pumped by 10 runs by the White Sox of all teams. How Derek Holland is so damn bipolar or how we win despite Ron Washington I'll never know *sigh*. Sorry for getting offtopic again lol but there's no general sports thread and its fun to discuss our fandom in general sometimes!

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is this the everything NFL thread or the everything NBA thread? Come on people I'm tired of reading this garbage when I'm expecting to see a bunch of new football discussion posts.

Anyway, on topic, preseason has been predictably meh so far. People seem to be reading too far into the Steelers-Eagles game, and forgetting that it's just preseason. Even if Vick himself did throw 3 INTs, the first stringers are rarely going full throttle even in the few plays they run. I doubt that game was any indicator of how the Eagles are going to do in the regular season.

Pryor drafted by the Raiders in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft. Well if there was a team to take him, it would be them

What teams do you think will win less games than last year?

I think both teams playing right now will (Bears and Giants). I also think the Chiefs and Raiders will. Patriots as well, but that's not saying much.

^^^

IDK, Pit and Baltimore could easily go 5-1 in their division, sweep the NFC worst, split the AFC South, and split with NE/KC and NYJ/SD respectively landing both at 12-4 again.

Just saying as a Ravens fan, Pit/Bal have pretty easy schedules. They play 9 games against rookie QBs, QBs with 1 year worth of experience, or QBs which are on different teams than last year. I think this speaks volumes when you consider their defenses.

But my call on who has less wins, Bears I feel are the safest pick. I don't like the Bucs, Jags, or Chiefs luck all to much either.

Raiders picking up Pryor isn't too new (Raiders like their speedy guys), but that leaves them with what, nothing after the 2nd round until like the 6th?

Bears are getting thumped pretty hard as well...gonna be a tough climb this year, but still getting your butt handed to you in the preseason like that is a bit embarrassing.

Falcons don't have a chance to go 13-3 again, even though their team got better.

Eagles/Saints (twice)/Bucs (twice)/Texans/Packers/Colts/Bears is pretty daunting, even if a couple of those teams are overrated I don't see them doing better than 5-4 or 6-3 in those nine games, even if they should be better than all of them except the Eagles/Saints/Packers.

Still, 12 wins probably wins the division, and 10 gives you a good shot at the playoffs (though this year I'd hope for 11 if you wanna win a wild card in either league).

ITT: People reading too much into the preseason

Let August 2007 be a great reminder where the Detroit Lions went a whopping 4-0 in the preseason and were trendy picks to reach the playoffs after they went 8-8 the year before.

The rest is history (Damn that was almost 4 years ago already!?)

Actually about a week ago I looked him up because I hadn't heard anything about him and saw that he signed with the Vikings.

Was surprised I hadn't heard anything about it, but I had thought he made a good fit for them right after he was cut.

How does everyone feel about the NFL's new kickoff rule? For anyone that hasn't been paying attention, they moved the kickoff up 5 yards and gave the defenders only 5 yards running room behind the ball in order to avoid injuries. It remains to be seen whether the long-term effects with injuries will be worth it, but the short term effect of the rule is having an absurd number of touchbacks. Kickoffs are one of the most exciting plays in the game; with the new rule, they had might as well start every possession after a score at the 20 until winter!

I think the best solution is to change the touchback placement of the ball to the 25 on kickoffs in an attempt to deter teams to kick that deep and encourage returns, while shortening the field (to prevent injuries) and keeping the fans happy.

^ I hate it. Returns are the most exciting play in football. I remember watching Devin Hester run the ball back on the colts in the superbowl. Amazing.

Actually about a week ago I looked him up because I hadn't heard anything about him and saw that he signed with the Vikings.

Was surprised I hadn't heard anything about it, but I had thought he made a good fit for them right after he was cut.

How does everyone feel about the NFL's new kickoff rule? For anyone that hasn't been paying attention, they moved the kickoff up 5 yards and gave the defenders only 5 yards running room behind the ball in order to avoid injuries. It remains to be seen whether the long-term effects with injuries will be worth it, but the short term effect of the rule is having an absurd number of touchbacks. Kickoffs are one of the most exciting plays in the game; with the new rule, they had might as well start every possession after a score at the 20 until winter!

I think the best solution is to change the touchback placement of the ball to the 25 on kickoffs in an attempt to deter teams to kick that deep and encourage returns, while shortening the field (to prevent injuries) and keeping the fans happy.
I agree it's pretty lame; I mean they already took out one of the more dangerous elements of kickoffs by eliminating wedges, so it's not really eliminating more injuries unless you have your strength/conditioning coach lining up players on the sidelines at areas conveniently where a runner might try running out...that and if you're dumb enough to use first stringers to return punts anyways, you deserve to lose em if they get injured.

Hopefully the rule will see a mid-season elimination, if not by next year. May as well just do away with the bigger element of special teams and just start at the 20, as very few teams are going to try returning beyond the field goal, if even able.

Random Thought: Does anybody think this could be the Texans year (to win the AFC south)? They've looked very good in preseason and Peyton isn't a sure shot to play. They got a new defensive coordinator which could make their defense a little better.

i wouldn't be surprised if the texans won it. as long as foster doesn't slump too much and the defense becomes merely bad instead of awful...

then again, they are trying to line mario williams up as an outside linebacker xD

Wasn't last year supposed to be the Texans' year? And the year before that?

They ain't getting past the Colts so long as Manning can return quickly enough. Unless Wade Phillips really is the answer to coaching their defense up...but even then, aren't they using a new scheme as well? So eh, I dunno...guess we'll see if they fall apart again.

Despite this horrific pass defense, the run defense has been pretty decent thus far. The offense has pulled it together too. They just gotta get into the endzone.

I wanna see Quizz Rodgers get some carries..

EDIT: holy fuck matt stafford is ballin. 12/14 for 200 yards and 2 TDs against the pats is pretty sick

^ now the only question is, can he stay healthy for the season?

Bengals are now Palmer-free it seems, though to be fair the only reason I thought Jordan Palmer was even in the NFL was because Carson pulled some strings to get him on the Bengals, he's not that good of a QB at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)