The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also didn't include Fitz/Stafford/Newton because of small sample sizes, especially with Stafford/Newton.

Newton has looked impressive statistically. However, his four big games all came against teams in near the bottom half of the league in pass defense (16th, 21st, 27th and 30th), and his actual yardage is irrelevant when he's on pace for almost 650 passes. YPA is far more "important," but he's sixth in the league in that regard with a very impressive 8.3 YPA. He is performing exceptionally well thus far, but I would not christen him "Best rookie (QB) ever" so soon. Remember that the lockout has probably affected coverage schemes more than anything thus far this year, which is a big reason why passing numbers are way up. When defenses finally get it together (and they will, eventually, get it together) expect passing numbers for everyone to go on the decline.

Newton's accuracy does worry me. Compared to last year, he's in the Collins-McNabb range, not exactly the best place to be. But yes, should he continue at or relatively near his current pace, he will break several rookie records: Touchdowns (26), yardage (3739), attempts and completions (590/354), and probably plenty of others.

The also have a brutal second half schedule, which would either help his passing numbers (as being behind in games tends to do) or hurt them.

I will say that Newton has done well so far, but only when you put it in the context of "he's a rookie that has played poor defenses". If you were to graft Newton's stats onto any other QB in the NFL who has had a few years of experience, they would be far less impressive, and I dislike making excuses for players.

The also have a brutal second half schedule, which would either help his passing numbers (as being behind in games tends to do) or hurt them.
Thanks John Madden.

His passing yards do not matter because of how many attempts he is taking? He has completed over 7 YPA every game but one, which is great for any rookie. The completion % is down since the first two games, that IS concerning.

I think Stafford is going to have a harder time dropping off than Fitzpatrick, if either falls off. He has started with 13 TD 4 INT, which projects to 41 TD 13 INT. Say he did much worse than that, "only" 30 TD 18 INT...last season Peyton Manning was 33/17, Brees was 33/22 - a bad INT season for him, but keeping in mind the trouble establishing a run game all season and keeping his mind in other seasons, still an elite season, and Eli Manning was 31/25 - that type of INT number is why Manning the Lesser is definitely not elite, but 31 TD is still fantastic). Calvin Johnson gives the Lions a much better receiver than anyone the Bills (or most teams) have, so while you have to consider it while thinking about how good Stafford is, it gives him a better chance than Fitzpatrick of keeping his production very high. Of course, Fred Jackson has more touchdowns than Best, so that helps Stafford a bit too...

tad I am pretty sure two 400 yard games would be impressive for any QB with any amount of experience. I think Matt Cassel would feel a lot better if he could complete so many 20 yard passes, not just complete a nice amount of passes.

By the way, I forgot to suck the Packers' dicks this week, so here you go:
Tom Brady 9.56 YPA 14 TD 6 INT; 4-1
Aaron Rodgers 9.56 YPA 14 TD 2 INT; 5-0

Rodgers has 163 yards less, but who cares? Brady had two unbelievable games...and Rodgers has basically caught up with two 400 yard weeks of his own. I think as long as Rodgers continues to keep his completion % over 70% everyone should probably suck his dick, lockout poor secondaries blah blah whatever. Brees is at 69.4% too lol

I would have to agree that Aaron Rodgers is looking pretty hot. I believe his team is suffering from injuries, but he is definitely looking smooth to me.

I live in Indiana and am a Colts fan. Peyton Manning is my favorite quarterback, but he is out. The Colts may need a little Luck for next season, eh?

I kinda doubt they would keep Luck if they got him. Manning is 34, and has what? A 4 year contract still? I expect they'll stick with Manning after this season, so sitting Luck for 3 years? A lot of teams would make offers for him...

There is (supposedly) a very significant chance that Manning will not be able to play football again.

Like, as high as a 50/50 chance.

And in all honesty, if he does come back, you have to worry about:

1. Money; with the rookie wage scale, Luck might cost a quarter of what Manning will

2. Will Manning get hurt again?

3. Will Manning be on the same level as he was before he got hurt?

4. Will Manning continue to play at this level for the remainder of his contract?

The most significant deciding factor is the fact that the Colts have some sort of opt-out clause after the first year of his new deal. If they cancel the deal before sometime this spring (March I think) they will not owe him any more money aside from what he got this year and his signing bonus.

And in all honesty, having Manning for four more years does not equate to having quite possibly the best talent since Manning for a dozen or more years.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with sucking Rodgers/Brady dick, I'm just holding out on Newton's until he shows consistency. His first game was amazing, but since then he has either had several interceptions (vs GB) or a low completion % (vs NO and Jac) in 3/4 games. He still was only terrible in one of them and has been very good in the others, but I want consistent greatness before I say that he's a great quarterback.

pookar

Banned deucer.
"sitting" luck for 3 years is not as bad as anyone here is making it look.. rodgers sat for what, 2 years? Behind brett favre! and look at him now. and rodgers wasnt even as Hyped out of college as Luck is.

colts also have literally no other pieces besides manning, aging wayne and aging clark. and aging freeney/mathis.. poor offensive line, some youthful RBs but nothing special.

overall manning will almost definitely make the right decision in terms of his contract and playing status. he seems like a humble dude, already has fantastic career stats, endorsements and whatnot

FUCK YEAH! NINERS!

The amount of penalties they committed along with 2 turnovers was ridiculous though, and Smith looked like he was regressing back into Bad Smith, but they found a way with a strong running game and defensive effort.

statsheet for Newton's game today looks a lot worse than he actually played.

One of his interceptions was on a tipped ball, one of them was an amazing play by a DT to intercept a screen pass, and the last one was in garbage time. Really, the story for the game was his third down production: 8-12, many of them third and long.

Newton looked good, in my opinion. He's very hard to sack, you cover all his receivers he can beat you with his legs and run for the first down. He's more accurate than Fick ever was, and seems to be a lot smarter with the ball as well.

He might have had his worst game as a pro, but I liked what I saw from him.

Niners are 2nd place in the NFC and have the 2nd highest point differential in the NFL, behind Green Bay in both. Hell, with their schedule (games against Cleveland, Arizona (x2), St. Louis (x2), and Seattle) it's entirely possible they grab the #2 seed in the NFC.

I'm glad I stopped caring about this prediction game. I'm very surprised with the 49ers. They or the Saints should get the second seed pretty easily, considering Detroit and Green Bay have to play each other twice.

They Falcons looked much better today. Actually, they played like they played last year! I think the bulk of the Falcon's offensive problems have come from trying to force the ball to Julio. Also, I want to see more use out of Jacquizz Rodgers and Jason Snelling.

The Defense also looked like last year's defense. They let the opposing teams offense run all over them but they were able to get lots of turnovers.

oh and haha @ the lions vs 49ers coach fight

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
They Falcons looked much better today. Actually, they played like they played last year! I think the bulk of the Falcon's offensive problems have come from trying to force the ball to Julio. Also, I want to see more use out of Jacquizz Rodgers and Jason Snelling.

The Defense also looked like last year's defense. They let the opposing teams offense run all over them but they were able to get lots of turnovers.

oh and haha @ the lions vs 49ers coach fight
This might be my bias as a Turner owner coming out, but really? You say this AFTER his best game of the season and not earlier on lol. Rodgers and Snelling will have their time, Turner is proving that he is still elite and deserves north of 20 carries every game. With decent run blocking he is still as damaging as ever, those years sitting behind LT have made him fresher then other bell cow backs his age.

This might be my bias as a Turner owner coming out, but really? You say this AFTER his best game of the season and not earlier on lol. Rodgers and Snelling will have their time, Turner is proving that he is still elite and deserves north of 20 carries every game. With decent run blocking he is still as damaging as ever, those years sitting behind LT have made him fresher then other bell cow backs his age.
I see what you did there. Turner is fat so you used bell cow. But seriously, Turner and Ovie in the background is a dead giveaway for a running play. Quizz and Snelling can both run well and catch, which would create more trouble for defenses. The biggest problem with the Falcons offense over the years has been their predictability.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Haha! Yeah I get that Snelling is more of a pass catching threat, kind of like a much worse Ray Rice. While Turner doesn't have a history of being a pass catching threat though, from what I've seen this season (and I've watched every Falcons game, I'm not even a fan haha it's just happened) he has a very solid pair of hands on him and should probably get a lot more looks his way. It would definitely free up Roddy, Julio and Harry for the deep/longer routes if the threat of the underneath pass is there to keep them honest.

Snelling is a very average running back. He's been given loads of opportunities when Turner's been hurt; he takes what the offensive line gives him and rarely breaks tackles. He's a bigger threat than Turner in the passing game only because the Falcons completely ignore Turner in the passing game, not because Snelling is better at catching passes.

Snelling is a very average running back. He's been given loads of opportunities when Turner's been hurt; he takes what the offensive line gives him and rarely breaks tackles. He's a bigger threat than Turner in the passing game only because the Falcons completely ignore Turner in the passing game, not because Snelling is better at catching passes.
No Turner just cant catch. He's strictly one dimensional, which is why the Falcons offence can get stagnant and predictible. The Falcons are the only team in the nfl that doesnt use RB screens.

Also Ponder looking pretty good.

No Turner just cant catch. He's strictly one dimensional, which is why the Falcons offence can get stagnant and predictible. The Falcons are the only team in the nfl that doesnt use RB screens.

As far as I'm aware, Turner's caught everything that's been thrown to him this season. It's just that the coaches have the same mindset that you do, that Turner is "one dimensional" so they don't utilize him in the passing game.

I certainly wish the Falcons ran any kind of screen, especially in games where Ryan's taking a beating (ie against the Bucs and Eagles).

Rex Grossman threw 4 interceptions today
4 interceptions AND he got benched lol. Guess today Bad Grossman decided to show in a very winnable game against the Eagles.

Honestly I think Eagles can still easily take the division, use the bye week to fix up defensive problems and plans, then really the rest takes care of itself as long as Vick stays healthy. They're still only 2 games behind overall after all and 1 behind in inter-conference wins.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

yeah thats why I really dislike turner as a RB in general (not talking about FF). It seems that matt ryan can never do a dump off pass for an easy first when I watch the falcons play.

also I am hype as fuck about the 49ers...lets get it and for some reason I had faith in alex smith on that 4th down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)