The Everything NFL Thread: 2011-2012 Season (plus free agency I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
lol @ referring to Matt Cassel as "quality talent". The only reason the Chefs did so well last season was because they had the best RB tandem in the league and would run the ball down to the 3 yard line, where Cassel would toss to Dwayne Bowe for a TD. Cassel's TD numbers were SUPER inflated because they never ran the ball inside the 5. Look at Jamaal Charles' yardage totals vs his TD totals. The running game held up Cassel and made him look good because he was never put in bad situations. He is not a quality talent and will never be more than mediocre =P
I'm not saying Cassel is great, but he's in the same league as Joe Flacco and other "Good" Quarterbacks. I'd also like to point out that the Patriots had no real running game to really speak of in 2008 and Cassel still did well. Sure, he had Moss and Welker to throw to, but Aaron Rodgers is considered a great talent at Quarterback even when he's throwing to three of the most potent Recievers in the league. It's a double standard to call Rodgers great, and Cassel only mediocre being supported by the players around him.

DarkSlay

Guess who's back? Na na na! *breakdances*
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Some more Eagles news. Eagles sign Steve Smith (NYG) for a one year deal. I believe the price range was at around two million.

Clay Matthews is a fucking monster.

I was rather upset when the Falcons passed over him in the 2009 draft (admittedly because I thought OLB was our #1 need) and even after only two seasons I regret the decision. His skillsets might have fit better in the 3-4, but it sure would have been nice to have him!

Don't expect tonight's games to be too interesting, even compared to preseason games, as the starters that will play won't be playing very long. Still, I'm glad to see that football's finally back even if it is just backups playing!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I love how everybody is so crazy about preseason games once they were faced with the prospect of losing them.

FOOTBALL!

Lee Evans tot he Baltimore Ravens.

The Ravens get a deep threat and legitimate #2 receiver, while the Bills get... almost nothing? Can't say I understand it, but it's a great move for the Ravens. Their offense might not be an elite unit, but I see no reason they won't be a top 10 or 15 offense this season.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Thank fuck for Lee Evans. He's not the saviour but its better then having our # 2 as a rookie, and he's a deep threat so I'm happy. Now time to fix up our dreadful O-line and we can go back to being amongst the favourites for the SB.

The deep threat Evans brings will definitely help out Boldin and the TEs. The Bills...I guess they're entering the suck for Luck competition

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I see both the good and bad of the Evans trade. We're going to miss his leadership on and off the field, and his deep threat pulled lots of coverage to open up Steve Johnson for so many catches. They're putting a lot of pressure on all our young WRs, especially the Donalds.

On the other hand, we're not exactly in a "win now" mode, and Evans deserves to go somewhere that will give him a chance to compete for a championship. My buddy put it this way: in a couple years when all this hopefully comes together, it'll be nice to have a core groups of receivers who played a lot and grew and matured, rather than holding on to an Evans who might be losing a step.

And I'm happy we got a 4th, considering he is coming off a 37 catch season, and also how little WRs go for these days.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Does this mean Lee Evans will finally not suck? Now [the real] Steve Smith just needs to get the fuck out of Carolina...

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
Shawne Merriman, 2.5 sacks, Marcell Dareus, .5 sacks. Bears starters got NOWHERE.

Goddamn, I am excited about this season.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Jason Pierre-Paul was in for about 1 Quarter of playing time( A little bit less). In that time 3 tackles 1 assist and 2 sacks, not to mention he was playing against a pro bowl tackle in Jordan Gross. I'd say Osi might want to get his ass in gear now. Really pumped to see how JPP does. Now the giants secondary just needs to get into their grove and our D is set.

Shawne Merriman, 2.5 sacks, Marcell Dareus, .5 sacks. Bears starters got NOWHERE.

Goddamn, I am excited about this season.
Lol, any team's pass rush is going to look good when they go against the Bears. Their offensive line is arguably the worst in the league and Martz's system has always allowed a ton of sacks/hits/hurries.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
lol there's too much hype around the Eagles. They are doomed to fail now...
No, there's the right amount of hype. Just not enough hype about any rivals... The Packers are still stupidly strong, and have an offense that will not be contained by having great Cornerbacks. I doubt the Saints and Falcons will give up against them, despite neither of them having no Defenses to speak of. And I won't necessarily count out the Cowboys... but that's just wishful thinking. The Buccaneers can also make a name of themselves as well.

But in all honesty, the best complete teams in the NFC are the Packers and the Eagles, and only the Saints have a strong enough Offense to be significant in the discussion.

AFC discussion though... little more convoluted... Same names as every year, just more than the NFC can bring to the table. Patriots, Jets, Colts, Steelers, Ravens are all gonna make some noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)