The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Shame on you Stallion! I expected you to link a better article than that :(

It's ok I forgive you. We can pout together this season as both of our teams go down the tubes!
You'll be pouting on your own this season cause we are gonna win the div. In two years, even if the Bengals have overtaken us we'll still.be a class above the 4th place Steelers. I will pout if the Brown finish ahead of us ever however lol

@ Killah, I agree with a lot of your post. The main point to get from reading that article is that Flacco is the equal of the current elite quarterbacks over their respective first five seasons, and that while he's not elite at the moment he hasnt come close to his potential ceiling. Just sick of people thinking that Flacco is guaranteed to regress from here, or thinking that Brady was elite when he left his mother's womb (instead of becoming one only after 7+ years).

The only problem I have with the actual point the article was trying to make (that Flacco will become elite) is that he hasn't progressed at all during the past four years.

2012 postseason non-withstanding, he has shown little improvement to his statistics or his play since 2009 or 2010. The only argument for him improving is this last postseason, and I'd argue that four games (especially against mostly substandard secondaries) isn't enough to declare anyone anything.

It's definitely not impossible to see him as one of the top QBs in the league in a few years, along with Ryan/Rodgers/some of the younger guys, and as I showed in the second point he's basically on pace with the current elite quarterbacks.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
@ Killah, I agree with a lot of your post. The main point to get from reading that article is that Flacco is the equal of the current elite quarterbacks over their respective first five seasons, and that while he's not elite at the moment he hasnt come close to his potential ceiling. Just sick of people thinking that Flacco is guaranteed to regress from here, or thinking that Brady was elite when he left his mother's womb (instead of becoming one only after 7+ years).
Yeah see the problem is you're trying to imply his ceiling is elite, by simply comparing his first 5 years to years of those who ARE considered Elite. Problem with that is, as I pointed out, CONFIRMATION BIAS.

"Yeah... if these numbers match up... DUDE I WAS RIGHT HE CAN BE ELITE, SEE?!?!?! What? Who cares if Carson Palmer and Phillip Rivers or some other mediocre QB could also possibly perfectly map that progression in the first 5 years... Oh, I care? Why do I care? What?!?! You mean if ANYONE matches these first 5 years and doesn't become elite that completely destroys my argument? Well shit."

That was my you/article writer impression.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
http://deeproute.com/

this is the deeproute football simulator, a super in-depth football simulator in which you draft your own players, go head to head with other people in your league, set your own playbooks, manage your salary cap, create draft strategies, and a million other things.

I just started a few days ago and needless to say im amazed. The sheer depth of this game is pretty awesome. Each player has certain attributes that go on a scale from 0-99, and each position has its own set of attributes.

League forums have their own pro-bowl style rosters constituting the best players from the season, and really its more like all-pro rosters because none of it depends on public opinion. Its usually just one dedicated guy who finds the best players at every position.

Im the owner of the 7-9 Portland Mountaineers in Hall of Fame Pro LG 10, and im super excited to get my season going. I have always wanted to own an nfl and coach one to a superbowl, and I can finally fufill my fantasy.

You will have to check it out yourself. r/nfl has been raving about this game the last couple of days saying it will surely cure your offseason boredom, and I think it does and I havent even played one match yet. Pretty stoked to try to be the best of the best in my league, though, I absolutely love winning.

The seasons are super short, too. 16 week season with each week counting as a single weekday.

The best part? The developer is STILL WORKING ON IMPROVING AN ALREADY GREAT GAME. It has its own subreddit and everything.

Check it out guys. This is 10 times better than fantasy football could ever be.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You'll be pouting on your own this season cause we are gonna win the div. In two years, even if the Bengals have overtaken us we'll still.be a class above the 4th place Steelers. I will pout if the Brown finish ahead of us ever however lol
This is kind of a dick comment. I was trying to be modest and friendly, but you decided to be arrogant and take a cheap shot at my team. Thanks.

Don't expect me to be sympathetic if you team misses the playoffs like I was planning to before.

i have no idea why people think the bengals are/will be good, they have a mediocre qb who is worse than joe flacco and gets bailed out by the 3rd best WR in the nfl, and one of the worst head coaches in the nfl who somehow remains employed despite his ineptitude.

kind of random but i keep hearing people say the ravens won't win the division and it confuses the hell out of me. i don't even think we're a great team or anything but let's be real here, bengals, steelers, and browns are all trash atm.

In defense of the Steelers, they got decimated by injuries this season. I remember WB making a new comment each week about how a new OLman got hurt. They'll be in the mix, I'd favor them over the Ravens if Big Ben can stay healthy.

i have no idea why people think the bengals are/will be good, they have a mediocre qb who is worse than joe flacco and gets bailed out by the 3rd best WR in the nfl, and one of the worst head coaches in the nfl who somehow remains employed despite his ineptitude.
Ugh this.

I think it stems from the fact that they're a very young team that's somehow made the playoffs twice in a row, but they are merely an average team in a shitty AFC.

Dalton is undeniably worse than Flacco, and will probably never be good enough to be anything more than a game manager. Green is fantastic, but the rest of the WR core is average-bad and BJGE is only adequate. The defense is good, but nothing great or elite and certainly not enough to make them competitive against great teams in the NFL.

"Trash" is a little harsh - they'll be 8-8 again at worst given the state of their schedule if I had to guess, but I can't see them beating anyone in the first round of the playoffs with what they have now.

In defense of the Steelers, they got decimated by injuries this season. I remember WB making a new comment each week about how a new OLman got hurt. They'll be in the mix, I'd favor them over the Ravens if Big Ben can stay healthy.
The Steelers' defense is even older than the Ravens, the OLine is worse even when healthy, and they have no playmakers on offense besides Ben and Brown. They'll compete, but the Ravens will still be the team to beat this season in the AFC North.

The Steelers' defense is even older than the Ravens, the OLine is worse even when healthy, and they have no playmakers on offense besides Ben and Brown. They'll compete, but the Ravens will still be the team to beat this season in the AFC North.
I doubt the Ravens because of all the pieces that they lost on defense and I do not know how they will gel. Not to start a debate or anything, but I don't think Flacco can carry that team to victory without a defense to lean on and no Boldin to be his security blanket. It'll be interesting to see for sure. The Ravens are good at drafting players, so maybe they will pull through.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
This is kind of a dick comment. I was trying to be modest and friendly, but you decided to be arrogant and take a cheap shot at my team. Thanks.

Don't expect me to be sympathetic if you team misses the playoffs like I was planning to before.
Apologizes, but I didn't read being told that the Bengals would win the division as a stir, I took it as a cheap shot like the many you directed our way in the playoffs. I'm done talking about the Ravens, everyone thinks we're done but at the end of the day I'm just gonna let our drafting and play do the talking. If I'm wrong I'll eat humble pie.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apologizes, but I didn't read being told that the Bengals would win the division as a stir, I took it as a cheap shot like the many you directed our way in the playoffs.
Notice how I put them above my own team as well? If I had meant it to be an insult or cheap shot, I would have put the Steelers on top. I didn't, though. I placed the Steelers in third place, below your Ravens. However, I am sorry if you think I am/have been taking cheap shots at them.

We really don't need to do this to each other, we're friends and both fully capable of showing more respect to one another. Sorry if I've been a jackass.

Stallion

Tree Young
Notice how I put them above my own team as well? If I had meant it to be an insult or cheap shot, I would have put the Steelers on top. I didn't, though. I placed the Steelers in third place, below your Ravens. However, I am sorry if you think I am/have been taking cheap shots at them.

We really don't need to do this to each other, we're friends and both fully capable of showing more respect to one another. Sorry if I've been a jackass.
You're right we don't, you know I love you man :heart:. Supporting bitter rivals can be a pain sometimes haha, it brings the jackass in me out too, so I apologize for that!

@ BLulz - fuk the Browns, all this talent they're drafting will catch up to us one day but for now I'm gonna enjoy the fact that they blow haha.

I doubt the Ravens because of all the pieces that they lost on defense and I do not know how they will gel. Not to start a debate or anything, but I don't think Flacco can carry that team to victory without a defense to lean on and no Boldin to be his security blanket. It'll be interesting to see for sure. The Ravens are good at drafting players, so maybe they will pull through.
i don't understand these mysterious pieces
- ray lewis, who was way past his prime
- anquan boldin, who captkirby has shown time and time again was easily expendable, and would not even be the 2nd wr on some teams at his age
- ed reed, way past his prime, was terrible in coverage
- dannell ellerbe, legitimate loss but very unproven
- paul kruger, replaced with literally the exact same guy in dumervil
- matt birk, way past prime and retired
- bernard pollard, "legitimate" loss, but was locker room cancer
- Ayanbadejo, average special teamer

that is basically 2 legitimate losses that we might care about

the ravens picked up chris canty and we get ladarius webb back. ozzie is usually solid in the draft and we picked up more average people in free agency to replace the average people who just left

maybe the heart of baltimore is what people mean? all i see is a bunch of old players who haven't had a significant impact in forever leaving

The Giants were the 10th best playoff team when they won a Super Bowl, and the Giants were the 9th best playoff team when they won a Super Bowl. While the Packers/Steelers/Saints were all top or near tops (Packers were lucked by injuries, clearly the #1-3 team despite their record) when they won the years before that, after back to back years of teams lucking their way through 4 game playoff runs including awful road games, I think worrying about whether your system works is more important than the exact pieces your team has.

tl;dr a lot more likely Ravens are fine not in any way in trouble

because clearly a team lucking its way to the top in an isolated year is as compelling (that was in between two years of the definitely right team winning)

sometimes the "wrong team" wins the league, e.g. Steelers in 2005 (terrible and only won with referee hacking), Giants in 2007...none of that is as relevant right now as the fact we are on back to back years of the lucking

Cardinals if they won 2008 would have been probably the most incredibly lucky/completely Warner based win of the decade, that team was so bad on both sides of the ball

edit: I meant Ravens and Giants the last two years in my first post %_% I just never proofread even a little

Ravens are still the team to beat in the AFC North, if for the fact that the rest of the teams in the North aren't doing that great. Steelers are getting old, Bengals are overrated, and the Browns are the Browns. Besides, all that really matters is getting into the playoffs where you can have a few lucky games and still win the Super Bowl.

Giants get 5 prime time games!!! Whoo! America loves the underdog i guess.

Ugh the Skin hype is killing me already though.

EDIT: Eggs vs Boys week 17. Will the Cowboys lose the division for the third straight year to the final NFC East team??

At least from where we are now, it looks like we'll be having a terrible slate of Monday Night Football games.

Three of the first four MNF games include the Eagles, Chargers, and Raiders. Only three matchups this year have two teams who had 10+ wins, though they are probably going to be good ones (Bears-Packers, 49ers-Redskins, 49ers-Falcons). The fucking Jets even got a spot on MNF! Honestly, there's 16 games between the previous year's division winners; what's the excuse for having precisely 2 of them (49ers-Redskins and 49ers-Falcons) on what's supposedly the best game of football of the week?

Now, the Sunday Night Football schedule... that's how you do it. Giants-Cowboys, 49ers-Seahawks, Bears-Steelers, Patriots-Falcons... the September SNF games are better than the entire slate of MNF games. That's not even mentioning Broncos @ Colts (if only for the crowd's reaction to Peyton alone), Broncos-Patriots, Steelers-Ravens, Falcons-Packers, Patriots-Ravens, or Texans-49ers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)