The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Teams started reporting to camp this week. New season has begun, that means we need a new thread.

I'm hereby putting a moratorium on ranking players and teams for a couple weeks. I don't fucking care which QB you think is "elite" or who your top 5 long snappers are or which team may make the leap this year; nobody has played a meaningful game of football in 6 months. Offending posts will be Donkey Punched on sight. You've been warned.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Well then we can talk abo- no can't do that... Maybe... No. What if... Not that either.

I had some cheerios today. They were pretty good.

Top 5 cereals go!

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
3 coaches in almost a half century. I love that kind of stability and constancy.

But Zak DeOssie is clearly a top 5 long snapper!! Andy Reid said so.

Well i think we should talk about luck again? No? I'm out of ideas then.

Teams started reporting to camp this week. New season has begun, that means we need a new thread.

I'm hereby putting a moratorium on ranking players and teams for a couple weeks. I don't fucking care which QB you think is "elite" or who your top 5 long snappers are or which team may make the leap this year; nobody has played a meaningful game of football in 6 months. Offending posts will be deleted on sight. You've been warned.
Please extend this till the start of the season's first game...

Ochocinco is officially Chad Johnson again, guess his soon-to-be wife wasn't too thrilled about the prospect of newly created 85'd jokes. Wish I had HBO, Hard Knocks would've been funny to tune into if just for the heck of it, as you know it'll focus on 2 things: Ochocinco and Lauren Tannehill.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I still can not for the life of me figure out why Ochocinco didn't do well in New England. On pure talent alone he should have caught SOMETHING. Crossing my fingers for Brandon Lloyd, the next Ocho? Hope not! Long live the McOffense!

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Brady probably didn't trust him because Ocho dropped multiple wide open touchdown passes that hit him in the hands. Ochocinco played terribly when he got his chances last season, it was unlike him. I know Brady is a God-like figure, but there has to be more to it than "no trust no catches"

What the fuck is so hard about the Patriots playbook? Is it like the Giants-stupidly/needlesly confusing option system?

TheValkyries

What the fuck is so hard about the Patriots playbook? Is it like the Giants-stupidly/needlesly confusing option system?
All offenses run receiver options...

The thing that killed Ochocinco is that he couldn't learn the formations and the options from those formations. The Patriots Playbook is considered one of the most verbose in terms of both formations, and in receiver route options, and for a player like Ochocinco who has always had the system he was in both be simple and be based around his talent, he was unprepared to actually use his brain on the field over his physical ability.

So Brady didn't trust him, not because he didn't catch passes thrown to him, but more because Brady couldn't trust Ochocinco to be in the correct spot on the plays that he was in. That's why he rarely saw playing time, because he didn't know enough of the playbook to actually exist in what could potentially turn into a hurry up offense.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
It's by far the most complex I've seen in the NFL, although that might not be 100% accurate since I obviously watch more Pats games than any other team. I'm sure Valk can vouch for me on this though.

They'll run the same play out of different formations, different plays out of the same formation, audible from one play to the same play but in a different formation, etc etc. It's hard to follow even as a fan sometimes.

TheValkyries

It's by far the most complex I've seen in the NFL, although that might not be 100% accurate since I obviously watch more Pats games than any other team. I'm sure Valk can vouch for me on this though.

They'll run the same play out of different formations, different plays out of the same formation, audible from one play to the same play but in a different formation, etc etc. It's hard to follow even as a fan sometimes.
Yeah, this too. It's all completely variable at the line which certainly does not help when a player doesn't even know enough about the system to line up correctly.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ravens to overcome hax in the semifinals and take it all this year.

Ugh i still shudder at the dropped pass by Evans followed up with a shank from Cundiff.

To be honest other than the basic types of plays most of that stuff goes over my head. I like 85 so i don't want to call him dumb but why not just use some Madden type plays then.. Well i guess that brings the question of "is he worth it". Which after the decrease in salary followed by the cut answers that. I wish someone here knew how complex the Packers system is compared to the Patriots. Just wondering because you kind of have to think wether all that complexity creates a better offense. Which is why i want to compare it to the Packers offense as i think they can score points with less effort(while forgetting how different they are personnel wise). Eh also because i hate the Giants OC and their offense in general. And can't understand why not just make stuff simpler(or in the Giants case let Eli go no huddle the entire game, not just the last two minutes).

And not to laugh at your pain, but i get tears in my eyes when i think about how cool(/naive) Victor Cruz is. After what he has been saying, the Giants won't be having this problem. I'm not calling Wallace greedy either since Cruz plays in NY and can get money way easier doing other stuff. But i don't think this is a huge deal. He will still play. Unless of course this is yet another piece that has fallen into place for the Browns to win this division.

I still can not for the life of me figure out why Ochocinco didn't do well in New England. On pure talent alone he should have caught SOMETHING. Crossing my fingers for Brandon Lloyd, the next Ocho? Hope not! Long live the McOffense!
Belichick barely even put him in.

According to Suggs and the Ravens fb page, Suggs should be back in full force late in the season, probably sometime week 12 or later
After a torn achilles? I guess we can be hopeful but that's a really rough injury for a linebacker...he needs to maneuver with his achilles and shit often.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Suggs and the Ravens FB page are just being optimistic to give their fans hope. Suggs knows damn well he'll be lucky to play at all this season, and I think Week 12 is EXTREMELY ambitious for an achilles injury. I think he'd potentially be back for a playoff run, but he may not be 100% and would be at high risk to reinjure himself, much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)