The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the Patriots are having a terrible draft. They should be in Win Now mode competing with the Broncos and getting weapons for Brady. They passed on guys like Marques Lee, Sefarian-Jenkins, Jace Amaro, etc for a DT with 2 ACL tears and a project QB.
you should try the kool-aid it tastes gre
at!

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
don't matter how Win Now the Broncos go they gonna get to the SB and get their butts run through a meat grinder again by the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Win Now only counts in nooblord AFC

Not to demean the whole situation, but Rams only draft Michael Sam for the sake of making history? Yeah...guess it's one thing to waste a 7th rounder on a guy they're gonna dump once training camp is over I guess for a bit of press coverage.

Looks like the NFL is really pushing draft pick jerseys this year (at least more than I can remember). anyone that gets a jersey of their team's draft pick before they play a down in the NFL is a moron

i actually think bortles could be a very good QB. unfortunately he is now a jaguar so that will assuredly not happen

i'm happy for michael sam, i just wish he was actually a good prospect

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I think the Patriots are having a terrible draft. They should be in Win Now mode competing with the Broncos and getting weapons for Brady.
Yeeaaaah, I'm just gonna call it now, barring some unforeseen major injury, The Patriots aren't going to lose the Broncos this next season. The Patriots will be getting Rob back at full health and they've proven to be consistent Offensive Power Houses regardless of what "weapons" they have (3rd in points last season sans both tight ends and wes welker = toppest of lels), and meanwhile they have made major strides in upping their defense through the draft throughout the past few seasons and made some pretty considerable secondary signings this free agency. And I mean, I don't want to jinx it or anything but with McCourty at safety as well as Revis and Browner at CB our secondary went from the poor/average range to the good/great range.

Meanwhile in Broncos land they've done what exactly to fix their weaknesses? They've done a good job I guess at making their strengths vaguely stronger I guess, but that doesn't make them a more complete team.

The Broncos get Miller back, who just happens to better than any player wearing a Patriot uniform regardless of position. Though I'm not going to make some ridiculous prediction based on meaningless stats and perceived player impact.

If anything we should be wondering why the hell the Bengals haven't become a powerhouse and started winning 13+ games. Their incompetence pisses me off so much.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
The Broncos get Miller back, who just happens to better than any player wearing a Patriot uniform regardless of position. Though I'm not going to make some ridiculous prediction based on meaningless stats and perceived player impact.

If anything we should be wondering why the hell the Bengals haven't become a powerhouse and started winning 13+ games. Their incompetence pisses me off so much.
It actually makes me really happy :).

Almost as happy as I am now with the Browns...I was frightened that they would go into the season with Gordon and Watkins and now they'll have neither :D

TheValkyries

First that's a good joke about Miller. You almost made me believe you were saying something serious. Second, I'm curious as to how you make predictions if you don't ground them in the realm of well... reality. How can you have any meaningful thought at all if you're going to call facts meaningless, and declare that the likelihood of a certain thing happening is completely unknowable. I mean with that logic I could say that the Jaguars could totally win the Super Bowl because we don't know if all the good teams are going to stay good, and we don't know that the Jaguars are gonna stay bad (sorry Deschain ). But hey, go ahead and invalidate the ability to form good onions bro, if that's what you wanna do, I won't stop you.

P.S. The Bengals suck because they have a shitty coach. They definitely have areas they can improve talent-wise but the largest impact will be made by giving this coaching job to someone not named Marvin Lewis.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not to demean the whole situation, but Rams only draft Michael Sam for the sake of making history? Yeah...guess it's one thing to waste a 7th rounder on a guy they're gonna dump once training camp is over I guess for a bit of press coverage.
Hard to take it as that much of a given that a player who was co sec player of the year (something that has equaled first round pick reliably) and was considered a thirdish round pick before coming out (albeit also before a poor combine) won't make the team... odds are he will never be an every down player, but it seems reasonably likely he will legitimately make the team and get some downs as a special teams or a package player.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I don't know why you see that as a good outcome... You reach the playoffs(by miracle), get blown out, then don't get to pick until late the 2nd round and go back to sucking for the next decade.
wherrrrrrrrrrrrre did I say it was good

And who fucking cares if the Rams don't plan on keeping Sam, the historical impact of the pick is more than important enough to make the move. He was also the SEC DPOY, he has an outside shot to make the roster.

wherrrrrrrrrrrrre did I say it was good

And who fucking cares if the Rams don't plan on keeping Sam, the historical impact of the pick is more than important enough to make the move. He was also the SEC DPOY, he has an outside shot to make the roster.
I've been telling Egg fans that just because a crappy team made the playoffs it does not mean they turned the corner and will be consistently competitive for the next few years(i'm looking at you stone cold)

First that's a good joke about Miller. You almost made me believe you were saying something serious. Second, I'm curious as to how you make predictions if you don't ground them in the realm of well... reality. How can you have any meaningful thought at all if you're going to call facts meaningless, and declare that the likelihood of a certain thing happening is completely unknowable. I mean with that logic I could say that the Jaguars could totally win the Super Bowl because we don't know if all the good teams are going to stay good, and we don't know that the Jaguars are gonna stay bad (sorry Deschain ). But hey, go ahead and invalidate the ability to form good onions bro, if that's what you wanna do, I won't stop you.

P.S. The Bengals suck because they have a shitty coach. They definitely have areas they can improve talent-wise but the largest impact will be made by giving this coaching job to someone not named Marvin Lewis.
Who exactly is better than Miller? Brady is hardly top 5 at his position(and hasn't been since 2011), the defense is filled with a bunch of average no name players(some with potential, i won't lie) and finally the offense has no dominant players. You could make a case for Gronk being the Pats best player and i'd be an interesting argument but in the end Miller is better. Oh and Miller is the best pass rusher in the league, the best player at his position and arguably the best defensive player overall. So yeah Miller is better than anyone wearing a Patriot uniform.

It actually makes me really happy :).

Almost as happy as I am now with the Browns...I was frightened that they would go into the season with Gordon and Watkins and now they'll have neither :D
I'm in pain right now. Manziel + Gordon + Watkins would have been the new Redskins/Eggs of 2014(teams that win 10 games riding a new offense but go back to sucking once the qb isn't playing perfect games).

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
First that's a good joke about Miller. You almost made me believe you were saying something serious
He's right, Von Miller is better than anyone on the Patriots roster right now. I'd argue that he is better than any player not named JJ Watt or Calvin Johnson in the NFL actually, regardless of position.

But hey, go ahead and invalidate the ability to form good onions bro
Idk some hero's onions look pretty valid to me

red_onions-1.jpg

Last edited:

TheValkyries

Who exactly is better than Miller? Brady is hardly top 5 at his position(and hasn't been since 2011), the defense is filled with a bunch of average no name players(some with potential, i won't lie) and finally the offense has no dominant players. You could make a case for Gronk being the Pats best player and i'd be an interesting argument but in the end Miller is better. Oh and Miller is the best pass rusher in the league, the best player at his position and arguably the best defensive player overall. So yeah Miller is better than anyone wearing a Patriot uniform.
He's right, Von Miller is better than anyone on the Patriots roster right now. I'd argue that he is better than any player not named JJ Watt or Calvin Johnson in the NFL actually, regardless of position.
Woah, I'm sorry, am I living in bizarro land where Von Miller suddenly turned into one of the greatest 3-4 OLBs of all time? Even if we want to be apeshit retarded and say Brady isn't good anymore (Newsflash: He is still that fucking good), Rob Gronkowski is still making splashes as "literally the greatest Tight End to have ever played the fucking game." Breaking every major single single season TE pass catching record (edging out Jimmy Graham) while also being the most dominating blocker in the league should hint at how good this dude is. There is not a single more talented complete Tight End that I can think of, closest competition being Jason Witten whose best day is an average day for Gronkowski. Meanwhile the Patriots have signed Darelle Revis who I would say is just about the same level as Von Miller, if not ahead in terms of Defensive Impact, or did you forget about that coup?

Don't get me wrong, Brady, Gronk and Revis are the only players who you can bring up in this conversation and it is a decent argument to be made for Brady (right now, not body of work) and Revis (similar Defensive impact), but then again you miss the whole part where having star players doesn't make you a complete/good team, else the Lions would be an actual team that isn't just beating bads for a chance to lose their first playoff game every year. Which was my point to begin with when I was bringing up the Patriots and roncos moves. The Broncos went and got a second Pass Rusher when they already have Von Miller. What are they improving there? What are they improving by drafting an early Wide Receiver when they already had so much talent? Meanwhile the Patriots made significant strides in fixing the areas they were weakest both in the draft and in free agency (the only hole being left is probably strong safety and an average DLine).

Stallion

Tree Young
Gronk isn't even arguably the best player at his position in the league right now. And check out PFF stats and watch some tape, Revis right now is not as good a player as Miller is. Same as Brady. If you were talking about both of them in their absolute primes I wouldn't even be arguing with you, but you're basing your views off a players body of work rather than the level they're at now. Gronk is the only one you could have a legitimate argument for.

I'm not disagreeing with your whole "star players don't make a good team" argument (although I still think the Broncos are slightly better than you right now), and I do believe that your free agent acquisitions and trades were beyond solid. That wasn't what I was arguing though, my argument is that Miller as an individual is better than anyone on the Patriots at their current skill level (with only Gronk having even some semblance of an argument) and that any non Pats homer would know that. Hell, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Miller > anyone currently on the Ravens.

Gronk could literally break his arm in half and still be better at catching passes than Jimmy Graham

let alone the fact that JG is 95% a glorified wide receiver, and will soon officially be classified as such :^)

TheValkyries

Gronk isn't even arguably the best player at his position in the league right now.
Firstly if I could, I would've liked killah's post on this but yeah, I already pointed out how Gronkowski has already beaten Graham in the pass catching arena and then pointed out how Gronkowski is consistently one of the best blocking Tight Ends. And if it isn't obvious Graham is a horrendous blocking Tight End.

And check out PFF stats and watch some tape, Revis right now is not as good a player as Miller is.
HEY MAN, YOU BROUGHT IT UP.

Same as Brady.
I let the Brady one go for precisely this reason, but if you want I could go make the argument that the Patriots have been able to be so dominant in large part due to Brady's ability to adapt and run almost any Offense EXTTREMELY efficiently.

I'm not disagreeing with your whole "star players don't make a good team" argument (although I still think the Broncos are slightly better than you right now), and I do believe that your free agent acquisitions and trades were beyond solid. That wasn't what I was arguing though, my argument is that Miller as an individual is better than anyone on the Patriots at their current skill level (with only Gronk having even some semblance of an argument) and that any non Pats homer would know that. Hell, I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Miller > anyone currently on the Ravens.
No, it has nothing to do with me being a homer, and has everything to do with you overrating the impact of Von Miller. Von Miller isn't even the highest impact player on his team. He is a great player, yes, but he's not significantly edging out Revis in this regard. Maybe Revis last year, who was playing a different coverage type (and still excelling), wasn't as dominant as Von Miller, but a Revis recovered from injury? Nah. The impact Revis has on a defense is ridiculous, and frankly I don't think a 3-4 OLB or Defensive End (Sup, JJ Watt) can match the level of impact a top tier shutdown corner can.

That said, I'd also posit that a great Tight End doesn't have the same impact that a great 3-4 OLB/Defensive End does. However, Gronkowski being as ludicrously good as he is, isn't in the realm of just a "great" Tight End, and is still able to challenge Von Miller in terms of game impact due to his absurd dual threat potential from power formations.

Also, I really think you're letting your Brady hatred get the better of you, since you aren't giving credit to his impact either. He is one of the most flexible QBs in history, given his ability to adapt to new Offensive Systems/Players and run them at a very high efficiency and effectiveness (Compare to P. Manning who specializes in one Offensive System to get a slightly higher efficiency/effectiveness). But meh, whatever, I've long since given up the fight to convince people that Brady is actually good at this thing called Quarterbacking and is actually one of the best players to have on your team.

tl;dr Von Miller is a great athlete, but great athletes aren't necessarily impact players that greatly improve the quality of a team. (AKA Geno Atkins can't make the Bengals Secondary good).

Last edited:

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can't be the best player if you're not on the field. Von Miller is either suspended or injured half the time, there are plenty of other defensive players better than he is for that reason alone.

The Pats still need someone to bail Brady out because the last few years, this team collapses when he gets hit. Last season I knew it was over when TBrady started throwing desperation balls trying to hit 5'9" Edelman 40 yards downfield. Gronk can fill that role but an outside threat would be nice. He doesn't have to be Randy Moss but can we at least get a Troy Brown?

I propose we make a trade, no NFL players get to use twitter ever, but everyone gets to take all the non-steroid drugs they want so we can stop losing great players??

Also after having the best RB of all time, Lions have a guy who is one of the best few WRs of all times, and the teams were still so broken both times around that they could not consistently make the playoffs. Gotta fucking love the Lions. I think my first official thought of the NFL season is how much I am rooting for Lions to miss the playoffs again, with CJ getting like 1800 yards and 20 TD.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why does it matter if Von Miller is better than anyone on the Patriots right now? It's a team game, so that means very little in the grand scheme. Anyone suggesting the Patriots should be in "win now" mode is foolish, considering the enormous success they have had over the last 15 years by specifically NOT being drawn into "win now" mode. More teams should be following the Patriots' example (ugh did I just say that?).

lmao von miller better than anyone on the pats' roster.

He's completely one dimensional; i.e. he is a DE in everything except his pre-snap stance. He's a liability in coverage and a so-so tackler (two of the three most important facets of being a linebacker. How the fuck does that make him "one of the top players in the NFL not named Calvin Johnson or JJ Watt"?

Meanwhile the Patriots have Tom Brady, who, while decidedly subpar (by his standards) last year, has still thrown for ~14,500 yards over the last 3 years (iirc 3rd-most over a 3 year stretch in NFL history) with little to no run support. Last year's stats also have to do with the fact that he lost his most reliable target (Wes Welker) his deep threat that stretched the defense (Aaron Hernandez) and his big bruiser TE (Gronk).

On another note, yeah, Michael Sam probably fell in the draft because of his sexuality; however, he's just not a great player. He's strictly a pass-rusher (can't defend against the run) and while his stats were very nice they were inflated by two things: one, he's a left end, which means he lines up against the weaker tackle, and two, he was only on the field for ~60% of snaps; the majority of those were passing situations. Therefore, he was always fresh. Will he get cut? Most likely. And I'm okay with that, because I believe that Jeff Fisher sees players for who they are on the field.

also im a browns fan go johnny football

Stallion

Tree Young
lmao von miller better than anyone on the pats' roster.

He's completely one dimensional; i.e. he is a DE in everything except his pre-snap stance. He's a liability in coverage and a so-so tackler (two of the three most important facets of being a linebacker. How the fuck does that make him "one of the top players in the NFL not named Calvin Johnson or JJ Watt"?

Meanwhile the Patriots have Tom Brady, who, while decidedly subpar (by his standards) last year, has still thrown for ~14,500 yards over the last 3 years (iirc 3rd-most over a 3 year stretch in NFL history) with little to no run support. Last year's stats also have to do with the fact that he lost his most reliable target (Wes Welker) his deep threat that stretched the defense (Aaron Hernandez) and his big bruiser TE (Gronk).

On another note, yeah, Michael Sam probably fell in the draft because of his sexuality; however, he's just not a great player. He's strictly a pass-rusher (can't defend against the run) and while his stats were very nice they were inflated by two things: one, he's a left end, which means he lines up against the weaker tackle, and two, he was only on the field for ~60% of snaps; the majority of those were passing situations. Therefore, he was always fresh. Will he get cut? Most likely. And I'm okay with that, because I believe that Jeff Fisher sees players for who they are on the field.

also im a browns fan go johnny football
Your entire post just lost any credibility when you said that Von Miller was a liability in coverage lol. I'm not going to bash people for stating their opinions that one player is better than another, but I am going to bring completely incorrect statements to attention. For a LB Von Miller is very adept in coverage fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)