The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're way too self-centered if you think the average fan cares about the patriots beyond satisfaction at pretty boy getting taken down. You're not important enough to hate.
Agreed. I'm not a Patriots fan at all which changes perspective..but honestly, I stopped caring about DeflateGate long ago. Yes, the punishment was a bit ridiculous but what's even more ridiculous is that this thing won't fucking go away. By this point, whatever happens happens. Let's not feed into this drama bullshit the NFL wants us to care about and just deal with it. This is evidence that Goodell should be fired but we shouldn't think much about it now. It's been months.. This is the NFL. Not a soap opera.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
You're way too self-centered if you think the average fan cares about the patriots beyond satisfaction at pretty boy getting taken down. You're not important enough to hate.
Its not high priority, but if you talk to any casual, random NFL fans (you know, the late 20s/30s assholes who just follow what they think they should instead of forming their own opinions), you will see that pretty much all of them are "happy beyond belief" about deflategate. Honestly, I can't talk to about half of the NFL fanbase because they are worse than some hero.

The first part of your sentence is the reason for the second part of your sentence.
Not necessarily.. All the Pats fans that are still too pissed off at Goodell(not all Pats fans mind you) to care about anything else and all the NFL reporters who want us to care by this point is why it won't go away. Not the fact that Goodell was overkill in the initial punishment(which he was but who really still cares?).

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Its not high priority, but if you talk to any casual, random NFL fans (you know, the late 20s/30s assholes who just follow what they think they should instead of forming their own opinions), you will see that pretty much all of them are "happy beyond belief" about deflategate. Honestly, I can't talk to about half of the NFL fanbase because they are worse than some hero.
There are also plenty of Patriots bandwagoners going the opposite way who are equally as bad. Are you actually expecting any noticeable percentage of a fanbase as large as the NFL's to be reasonably intelligent?

And for the record, I am not a Patriots fan. Yet I also am not "happy beyond belief" about deflategate, I think the punishment and all the drama is dumb, and I wish we could all just move on.

xJownage

There are also plenty of Patriots bandwagoners going the opposite way who are equally as bad. Are you actually expecting any noticeable percentage of a fanbase as large as the NFL's to be reasonably intelligent?

And for the record, I am not a Patriots fan. Yet I also am not "happy beyond belief" about deflategate, I think the punishment and all the drama is dumb, and I wish we could all just move on.
Believe me, same here. And while there are the patriots bandwagoners, its safe to say that most fans pretty much hate the patriots, only moreso now.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Believe me, same here. And while there are the patriots bandwagoners, its safe to say that most fans pretty much hate the patriots, only moreso now.
this may have been more accurate about 10 years ago after they won all the other Super Bowls, but the hatred is probably not nearly as widespread as you think. I'm willing to wager the Seahawks are probably higher on a lot of people's hate lists than the Patriots are these days.

Not necessarily.. All the Pats fans that are still too pissed off at Goodell(not all Pats fans mind you) to care about anything else
Not only has Tom Brady been the Patriots best player for 14 years, no player in NFL history has ever meant more to one franchise. Now this player is being unfairly railroaded and you expect them to just let it go?

and all the NFL reporters who want us to care by this point is why it won't go away. Not the fact that Goodell was overkill in the initial punishment(which he was but who really still cares?).
You don't seem to understand that the fact that the punishment was overkill, the player he punished, and the crime/evidence he punished for is the reason this story won't die.

this may have been more accurate about 10 years ago after they won all the other Super Bowls, but the hatred is probably not nearly as widespread as you think. I'm willing to wager the Seahawks are probably higher on a lot of people's hate lists than the Patriots are these days.
I wouldn't say that

People just don't like the Pats for whatever reason, whether it be because they "cheat" or beat everyone else.

Not only has Tom Brady been the Patriots best player for 14 years, no player in NFL history has ever meant more to one franchise. Now this player is being unfairly railroaded and you expect them to just let it go?

You don't seem to understand that the fact that the punishment was overkill, the player he punished, and the crime/evidence he punished for is the reason this story won't die.

I wouldn't say that

People just don't like the Pats for whatever reason, whether it be because they "cheat" or beat everyone else.
You don't understand that nobody else really cares anymore(save for some Pats fans). I know how important Tom Brady has been to the Patriots. Hell, he's one of the most important players in the NFL in the past 15 or so years. Doesn't mean that we should fan the story. We get it. The whole NFL fanbase hates Goodell, not just you. The story needs to die. It's useless drama that nobody likes. We need to let it go and get on with the season, not focus so much on one punishment. One that might not even matter if Jimmy lives up to potential.

xJownage

You guys are basing this argument that casual NFL fans have dropped it on literally no evidence. While there is very little accurate quantitative information, personal experience does mean something. You guys may get it, but the rest of the fanbase may not. If you asked that portion of the fanbase, they are blinded by the thing and say Brady cheated, and they do want the whole thing to be dropped. These people are butthurt, and while they want the investigation and shit from deflategate to go, they will not forget that brady cheated.

You don't understand that nobody else really cares anymore(save for some Pats fans). I know how important Tom Brady has been to the Patriots. Hell, he's one of the most important players in the NFL in the past 15 or so years. Doesn't mean that we should fan the story. We get it. The whole NFL fanbase hates Goodell, not just you. The story needs to die. It's useless drama that nobody likes. We need to let it go and get on with the season, not focus so much on one punishment. One that might not even matter if Jimmy lives up to potential.
Let me throw a crappy analogy your way to help you understand

-Your dad might have made a rolling stop at a stopsign (after 4 other cars in front of him did the same thing)
-An incompetent officer arrests him and sends him to prison for 10 years
-Your dad is an exemplary citizen, but despite that hes denounced as a criminal throughout your neighborhood .
-Obviously feeling wronged, your dad appeals, but it turns out that the incompetent officer is also the judge and jury.
-Meanwhile people that have gotten arrested for DUIs and domestic violence have appealed and gotten their sentences reduced substantially
-Meanwhile Meanwhile people that lost to your dad in the annual dad of the year awards are lobbying the corrupted judge to stand firm with his sentence. Is it because they want justice? Or is it because they want to win dad of the year more easily next year? Your Guess is as good as mine

Knowing all the facts of the case do you tell your dad "golly gee dad just let it go and capitulate, i'm tired of all this." Or would you tell him to fight this injustice to the bitter end?

Who knows, maybe this all won't even matter if your backup dad lives up to his potential.

Let's talk about another thing: the HoF's decision to not let Junior Seau's daughter speak at the induction ceremony.

As of now, many people think it's a disgusting act, and I think that way too. Is the NFL so nervous that the family will talk about concussions and what happened to Mr. Seau? This is supposed to be a time to honor him, yet his own family members aren't even allowed to say anything. What your your thoughts?

Let's talk about another thing: the HoF's decision to not let Junior Seau's daughter speak at the induction ceremony.

As of now, many people think it's a disgusting act, and I think that way too. Is the NFL so nervous that the family will talk about concussions and what happened to Mr. Seau? This is supposed to be a time to honor him, yet his own family members aren't even allowed to say anything. What your your thoughts?
Its terrible PR for the NFL, but its standard procedure.

The cold hard truth is that people just don't like them.

And when it comes to deflategate, they let this cloud their judgement so much so that they end up supporting the worst commissioner in the history of pro sports.

(which is exactly what he wanted)
I don't let it cloud my judgement. I'm just tired of all the bullshit this caused. Is it bad that I just wanna get on with the season and I stopped giving a shit? I hate Goodell with a passion but I'm so tired of hearing about DeflateGate that I'm just gonna let it go. Seriously, this whole situation is annoying af. Yes, Goodell went overboard on punishment here. That is true and I never denied that. It's just not worth talking about anymore. If Brady's suspension is upheld, it sucks for Pats fans but I myself stopped caring. If Brady's suspension is reduced/gone, then it's a win for the organization but I myself stopped caring. I'm just here to watch football. Not to follow a stupid story for months.

I don't let it cloud my judgement. I'm just tired of all the bullshit this caused. Is it bad that I just wanna get on with the season and I stopped giving a shit?
No its fine if you want it to go away, its the dumbest story in sports history.

Its your criticism of patriots fans who won't "let it go" that's confusing me.

Its easy to say let it go as a non pats fan

But if it was your team/favorite player was getting unfairly railroaded there's no way you'd just give in. (Which is why I typed out that analogy)

No its fine if you want it to go away, its the dumbest story in sports history.

Its your criticism of patriots fans who won't "let it go" that's confusing me.

Its easy to say let it go as a non pats fan

But if it was your team/favorite player was getting unfairly railroaded there's no way you'd just give in. (Which is why I typed out that analogy)
Perhaps not. But let me make a hypothetical scenario here.
Suppose the Colts win Super Bowl 50 and Andrew Luck got the MVP of that game. Now it's the offseason, and some bullshit rumors of cheating gets spread around by teams that lost to them last season or the losing Super Bowl team perhaps. Andrew Luck gets suspended. Maybe I wouldn't react well at first. But I'm a football fan first, Colts fan second. That being said, I obviously wouldn't be happy. But when it gets to the point where the story doesn't die even if it isn't really relevant anymore, I just hope to ignore it and hope for the best next year. Now, if they ACTUALLY cheated, I would be pissed off at my own team but considering that DeflateGate is ,at best, propaganda, that's not really a relevant analogy. And I wouldn't care if my team suddenly gets hated when we start winning more games(like the Patriots of the early 00's and the Seahawks of today) because most of that hate would be jealousy which I wouldn't care about anyway. Just throwing that out there.
Anyway, lots of suspensions in the past couple weeks but most of these guys are guys I haven't heard much about(save for Antonio Gates and Rolando McClain)
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/fines-suspensions/

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
Ben Roethlisberger was a rapist in the eyes of the public the moment he was accused, regardless of how the investigation actually played out. He was not even indicted, yet to this day lots of people insist he did it. I didn't waste my time arguing with people about it because the masses are ignorant and only believe what the media wants them to. I said it earlier on this page, a fanbase the sheer size of the NFL's is doomed to be loaded with half-wits because that's what happens when you dip into the "general population". This is why you should not concern yourself with their opinions, and worrying even the slightest bit about the fact that the majority of them may hate you is silly. I think if you were to somehow gain the opinions of only the intelligent fans, you'd find a much smaller percentage of them hate the Patriots.

Either way, I'm sensing a lot of martyrdom among our resident Patriots fans here, and it's growing tiresome. Can we all move on?

Ben Roethlisberger was a rapist in the eyes of the public the moment he was accused, regardless of how the investigation actually played out. He was not even indicted, yet to this day lots of people insist he did it.
The difference in the 2 situations is that people already hated Brady more than any other QB in the league BEFORE deflategate even took place.

The public outrage for Brady maybe being generally aware of deflated footballs is about 10-20x greater than when Roethlisberger was accused of sexual assault.

This is why you should not concern yourself with their opinions, and worrying even the slightest bit about the fact that the majority of them may hate you is silly. I think if you were to somehow gain the opinions of only the intelligent fans, you'd find a much smaller percentage of them hate the Patriots.
I don't care about their opinions when it comes to the Patriots. But I DO care about their opinions when it effects the judgement of the idiotic NFL commissioner who always gauges public opinion before making decisions.

Either way, I'm sensing a lot of martyrdom among our resident Patriots fans here, and it's growing tiresome. Can we all move on?
Its still the most important NFL story right now, as it directly effects the season of the leagues defending champ. You can't just ignore it.

It may not even be done with by this time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)