The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at work at could only glance at scores and some live plays among all the games. Anyone here was watching that game? Did Atlanta's defense do the work or was it Denver's offense just not working?
Denvers backup RT got shellacked all game, Atlanta had 6 sacks I believe (had 4 through first 4 games) and Atlanta has pretty good rush defense when they're not getting blasted in the ass by the pass game. Paxton Lynch looked ok at times, but had to move around so much it would have been hard for him to carry the team himself. Definitely a winnable game, but bad blocking and the inability to completely contain the Falcons offense caused them to lose that game. I somewhat doubt a Siemian led team would have scored 24+ points today.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I love the Ravens' DC's name. Dean Pees. I'm surprised it's not a meme, like a picture of him in a car - Dean Pees in a car.

Dean Pees in your house. Dean Pees on your lawn. Dean Pees with his best friend.

The fun would never end.

Dean Pees on the coaching staff.

The big talk right now is the debate between Prescott and Romo. Apparently, there's no chance Romo won't start when healthy again. Jerry's going to kill him.

bludz

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The thing about Rodgers is his receivers aren't making incredible plays all the time like they used to. While it might be true he's not playing at quite the same level, think back really really hard about some of those games where he had dominant statlines. His receivers were coming down with contested balls, lots of back shoulder throws with high degree catch difficulty, and lots of yards after the catch. None of these things are happening right now but it's not because Rodgers doesn't put the ball in the same place. The receivers have trouble getting separation - Rodgers has one of, if not the, longest time from ball snapped to thrown (he's trying to buy time for his guys to get open). The main difference is now the receivers aren't getting as open, and when they're covered aren't making the same great plays which became normal.

He's still a beast, give him a top flight weapon (and no, Jordy is not on the level of the AJ Greens etc of the NFL) and you would see some crazy stuff.

Top flight QBs post better stats than Rodgers is posting now with less talent around them than Rodgers has now. While there is no doubt that he would perform at a higher level with Julio and AB as his weapons, that would be true for literally any Joe Schmuck off the streets. It is simply a fact that Rodgers has gone from posting basically GOAT seasons from 2011-2014 to good-but-not-great stats the last two years, and if it is truly the fault of his receivers then maybe elite receiving play is the only reason Rodgers ever posted elite stats in the first place. (It's not, but anyone arguing that it is his receiver's fault the last two years would have to address that)

bludz

Killah Care to provide examples? Rivers is the only one I can think of and I'm not sure his weapons weren't better last year. perhaps Brady for a few years but hes the goat and the coaching differential with the scheme is very large. Rodgers weapons really aren't good (especially last year they were trash). I think there's been something of a disconnect between him and his guys though so I'm not gonna say this decline isnt his fault at all; his play has definitely dropped off but I think hes receiving more of the blame than he deserves (and like any qb maybe getting too much of the praise when things go well).

I'd also argue the playcalling has been very similar for so long. I don't think its been good for a while now - they reuse all the same formations all the time and like using similar route concepts together. It feels like defenses have adjusted and they haven't done so back.

When I watch Rodgers play I see a guy who still makes great decisions and excellent throws. His TD:INT ratio was still fantastic last year, it was the yards, yards per attempt and completion percentage that have been far worse. I don't have the stats on all the relevant points like drop rate and how much he was throwing down the field but ill say this. How often do you see packers receivers actually get good separation? It seems kinda rare to me. You don't have to be elite to get open. The back shoulder and contested balls were things I'd argue were Rodgers maybe making the guys around him better and THAT is something I think has certainly fallen off.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
In regards to Rodgers this article covers it all pretty well in how his decline is due to his own regression personally In mechanics because of an over reliance on his talent as well as terrible scheming and coaching from McCarthy and poor usage of dwindling talent at reciever. It's about 35/65 split Rodgers/McCarthy for who's at fault imo with the receivers not even really at fault at all.

As for the fumble rule: I like the rule fuk the haters. It's like the holding in the end zone as safety rule I like all those strange silly frayed edges of the rules. It's got charm. Also fuck the Ravens so it double works out.

Aaron Rodgers might not have the receivers but he definitely has the offensive line. Dude had 5 seconds to throw against the Giants the other night and still sucked, if you have that kinda time receivers are gonna be open.
I get the deja vu, but even objectively its a terrible rule. You don't deserve the ball back if you never recovered it. If we fumbled it out at the 1, that's where we would've gotten possession but its somehow a touchback if its in the end zone?
On the one hand its definitely one of the dumbest rules in football and they have a point in that the rule should probably be changed

but on the other hand
fuck the Ravens

Last edited:

bludz

That game isn't really a good indicator. Giants coverage is good and their pass rush is shit. There were definitely times where he had 5 seconds and absolutely nobody was open.

Won't lie tho their OLine is playing well

Also about that rule where would you get the ball? Idk touchback seems to make the most sense given the current ruleset

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
insult rodgers all you want but we still gonna make the playoffs bitches

though we play the cowboys this week which will be interesting

Wow, San Diego keeps inventing ways to lose.

*Edit*

13 point lead and good momentum on their side. Their winning percentage keeps rising.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)