The Everything NFL Thread - 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Cuz Dallas is AMERICA'S TEAM and, for better or worse, let's face it they always give NFL fans the most entertaining games. Dallas-Philly SNF was the best game of the season up to that point, and the only reason it didn't have even better ratings is because it was up against literally Game 7 of the World Series between the two teams with the longest title droughts in MLB. Dallas-Green Bay yesterday was the best game of the year. The fanbase and their propensity for competitive games makes them a ratings savior.

go dirty birds indeed :/

And as much as I hate the Packers currently, I'd still rather see them win than either AFC team (oh boy, Bradychick's 800th* title or the Steelers' seventh*!). I don't have any long-term animosity against the Packers, other than they seem to be a team that is always blessed by the refs (see also: Steelers, recent history Hawks/Pats) which is aggravating as a fan of a team as cursed as any.

did you just try to say cook's catch wasn't a catch? at least make the comparison instead of just saying it as if its common knowledge.

>calling that a bullshit PI are you fucking retarded?
Real talk though, Cook's was a catch but as close as he was to the sideline and his ankle kinda rolled out-of-bounds, which last I knew counts as part of the foot in football... I could see the call going either way, yet we had the unusual circumstance of the HEAD ref being overruled by a line judge on the field and then being upheld by replay.

Dez cleanly caught the ball, took three steps while pulling it down into his chest with clear control, then tripped over the DB's leg and lunged for the goalline with the ball outstretched and didn't quite make the TD. The primary question was did he fumble the ball, because he bobbled it when he hit the ground? Well, no, the ground can't cause a fumble, he's clearly down at the 1-year-line. Replay officials: LOL INCOMPLETE PASS GGNORE DALLAS There's your fuckin comparison.

The PI on the previous drive was stupid because honestly it's the most uncatchable ball ever but that exception to the DPI rule literally never gets called unless it's a a redzone throw that the QB heaves into the stands. Sure, clear PI by the book but the receiver just got turned slightly and the ball was 10+ yards over his head, it's as clear an "uncatchable" ball as there ever could be for a ball thrown in-bounds. Sort of letter versus spirit of the law. :/ The penalty bailed Rodgers out of probably the worst throw he made all game, a blind heave as far as he could throw it downfield to avoid a sack, and instead of being punished for it the refs rewarded him for it.

From an objective standpoint, still an encouraging game as a Dallas fan. Dak played well, don't have to hear BUT ROMO shit all offseason and all (assuming he isn't traded). Dez finally re-emerged as an elite receiver, maybe going into next season with some time to gel with Dak (and get 100% healthy) he'll return to 2012-2014 form and next season will be the one to watch out for. Nobody expected Dallas to go this far in the first place and like "youngest team in the NCAA Ohio State," they were ahead of schedule this year and the future looks promising.

Last edited:
go atlanta

tired of seeing all the same faces win the chip

With the power of the entire NFL... we can't possibly lose!

Love seeing people still shit on the Falcons defense with no context. The "competitive" va garbage time splits on this defense are pretty unreal, especially over the last two months. Don't be surprised to see a two to three touchdown lead next weekend before Aaron Rodgers pulls off some of his bullshit and makes it a competitive game again.

With the power of the entire NFL... we can't possibly lose!

Love seeing people still shit on the Falcons defense with no context. The "competitive" va garbage time splits on this defense are pretty unreal, especially over the last two months. Don't be surprised to see a two to three touchdown lead next weekend before Aaron Rodgers pulls off some of his bullshit and makes it a competitive game again.
The defense is pretty awful for like the first two drives of the game. After that, they settle in and play like an above average defense until garbage time.

For me, as long as the Patriots don't win the super bowl at this point, I'll be happy. Sorry to see the Chiefs got bounced (was my preferred NFC team left remaining), but the Steelers do have a decent shot at toppling the Patriots I think, and the Steelers are cool enough. As for Packers/Falcons, I'd prefer Packers to win I guess but I won't be upset if the Falcons get to the super bowl really.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Real talk though, Cook's was a catch but as close as he was to the sideline and his ankle kinda rolled out-of-bounds, which last I knew counts as part of the foot in football... I could see the call going either way, yet we had the unusual circumstance of the HEAD ref being overruled by a line judge on the field and then being upheld by replay.

Dez cleanly caught the ball, took three steps while pulling it down into his chest with clear control, then tripped over the DB's leg and lunged for the goalline with the ball outstretched and didn't quite make the TD. The primary question was did he fumble the ball, because he bobbled it when he hit the ground? Well, no, the ground can't cause a fumble, he's clearly down at the 1-year-line. Replay officials: LOL INCOMPLETE PASS GGNORE DALLAS There's your fuckin comparison.
I don't really see how you can debate cooks' catch. cook's feet were clearly inbounds at the time of the catch, and while part of the bottom of the foot (like the toe) hitting after another part (heel) out of bounds is not a catch, the ankle does not count as a part of the foot. if somebody had a foot down and rolled onto their ankle, the feet still count regardless. I don't really see how that catch was debatable. Even if called incomplete on the field, I think it would've been overturned on replay. No real point in arguing about it, though.

And i don't see how the process of the dez catch has any relation to cook making a sideline catch. how the fuck do you compare those? a sideline catch and one ruled where the process of the catch wasn't completed (although i still judge that catch as a toss up, remember calvin johnson's 2009 catch vs the bears). As for the Bryant catch, like i said, it's a toss up to me. Steps and control have nothing to do with it. The process of the catch means you catch it and make a football move. The thing you'd need to argue for is if that lunge was a football move or was that where his body was taking him anyways. We can argue that all day, but it's a fruitless argument. And ffs dallas fans need to get the chip off their shoulder over that. omg a controversial call didn't go our way, let's whine and cry and bitch like 5 year olds. piss the fuck off.

The PI on the previous drive was stupid because honestly it's the most uncatchable ball ever but that exception to the DPI rule literally never gets called unless it's a a redzone throw that the QB heaves into the stands. Sure, clear PI by the book but the receiver just got turned slightly and the ball was 10+ yards over his head, it's as clear an "uncatchable" ball as there ever could be for a ball thrown in-bounds. Sort of letter versus spirit of the law. :/ The penalty bailed Rodgers out of probably the worst throw he made all game, a blind heave as far as he could throw it downfield to avoid a sack, and instead of being punished for it the refs rewarded him for it.
At first i was inclined to disagree with the call as well, but I notice that when in doubt the refs are told to call the penalty. I think the issue was that it happened so early it's almost impossible to say with certainty that it was uncatchable at the time. I would rather them overcall it than undercall it, personally, and since it's completely subjective, replay would probably make it even more controversial. I would love to replay pass interference (challenge-only), but again, it's so ridiculously subjective that it'd probably be poorly used. Back to the play, a holding call would've been appropriate (or illegal contact) since the contact started before the ball was thrown.

Last edited:
What about Antonio browns facebook video? I'm waiting for the steelers to lose, and for the "Giants boat trip" situation to happen again.
Does that show that mike tomlin isn't really in control of the locker room if player(s) were completely ignoring his speech, being more interested in facebook views/likes/etc.?

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
The Antonio Brown video backlash is the dumbest thing in the world.

I mean a. He thought it'd be cool to bring fans inside the locker room after a playoff win to celebrate and hear them get amped up for the next game. Literally the only thing wrong with that sentiment is he didn't get permission from the coach. That's it. At worst if Tomlin didn't like it he'll just pull him aside and say "nah don't do that next time".

B. People are saying Tomlin was saying don't put anything out there on social media but literally he never said that that was someone else's voice. All Tomlin said was they were going to keep a low profile while working and preparing this week which is the most empty statement ever but people are trying to crucify Brown as an absolute moron who is self absorbed and blah blah blah. And it's like "hey I want to celebrate with 33 thousand fans and have my team talk to the fans directly after winning a game" whoa wow much ego much self absorb.

C. The other thing people are talking about is how it was dumb to give the Patriots motivation for next week. And this is the dumbest thing of all. Literally who cares? He caught Mike Tomlin calling the patriots "Assholes". *cluthes pearls* the utter scandal of it all. Now they're going to be so affronted and offended they are going to play better? This is the thing that drives me crazy in Football analysis. That the key to playing better has nothing to do with the actual game but how much heart each team has as if both teams aren't filled with guys who want it. I mean yes there's varying degrees of wanting it but they are literally professionals part of the job is to get themselves into the right mindset and they will do that every single week regardless of what happens. If Rob Gronkowski was playing do you think he needed to hear Tomlin call him an asshole to get psyched up? Do you think Tom Brady needed to hear that so he could get emotionally invested in the game next week? Is this the thing that the Patriots defense needed to hear so that they could suddenly feel as if their honor is being challenged? That they're a bunch of assholes.

Spoilers the thing that gets them more mad is being called cheaters. Being called undeserving. That shit would drive them more than Tomlin calling them assholes.

Christ what a stupid made up media story. I mean I get that there was only one interesting football game over the weekend but are they really so strapped for news to cover that they have to fabricate these narratives? Why can't they like, oh you know, actually talk about the games and actually look at what these teams are doing well and what they aren't?

I completely agree. Anyone who watches mic'd up shows/sound bits/etc. knows that's just routine locker room talk(it's better than trump's version). Stuff much, much worse than that is said on a frequent, regular basis. So what if tomlin called the pats a PG-13 word? And the media makes it seem like it's worse than deflategate.
I believe that brown had some kind of contract(other celebrities too) about facebook live and stuff(correct me if I'm wrong though).

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nothing would please me more than to see Roger Goodell kiss Tom Brady's (fifth) Ring.

Make it happen, Pats Nation!

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
i agree the refs sucked in the packers game

all different plays but dont tell mre kek
Could probably pick out ten different plays like that on either side. Refs "let them play" a little too much tbh, both teams picked up on it and were holding in the secondary all day.

but sure keep attacking me because xJownage asked me to elaborate on something and nobody knows how to read in this topic

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
xJownage can't even read his own posts so don't worry about it

"please explain how they are related or shut up" "WHY ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT THAT ERMAHGERD STOP CRYING"

I seriously don't understand why Goodell gets so much hate. The man is nothing more than a figure head and hating him is exactly what the league wants. Goodell is not the problem here, his job description is literally "take the blame for everything" and y'all are falling for it.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
xJownage can't even read his own posts so don't worry about it

"please explain how they are related or shut up" "WHY ARE YOU EVEN TALKING ABOUT THAT ERMAHGERD STOP CRYING"
yes because you make an invalid comparison, i point it out, and now you try to assert that comparing process of the catch and two feet in bounds are somehow the same thing. tell me why you expect anyone to listen to you?
I seriously don't understand why Goodell gets so much hate. The man is nothing more than a figure head and hating him is exactly what the league wants. Goodell is not the problem here, his job description is literally "take the blame for everything" and y'all are falling for it.
i had to show my friend this because i laughed so hard when i saw it. i swear anytime we mention some hero's name like WaterBomb did he comes in and makes a brilliant post. well done sir.

Im going Falcons to win it all. They're my favorite team because I'm from Atlanta obviously but I knew from the start of the season (despite losing the season opener against the suckaneers) that their offense has built upon the offense that got them off to such a great start last season. Their D is really improving with Vic Beasley Deion Jones and Keanu Neal all stars on each level of the defense and I think after they breat Green Bay they will head on to the Bowl where they'll have a very exciting shootout with the Patriots.

I hope they do get it. Not only for something different in the SB, but I feel like they deserve it after improving like that from last season. Record coulda matched their 2012 season honestly. They better do it now, as they gotta start all over again on offense next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)