The Everything NHL Thread

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On a completely unrelated-to-everything sidenote, what the hell is up with these ads behind the net in Dallas? I hope this doesn't catch on.

A Bruins fan calling for blood? I never thought I'd see the day.

And then after more of your players get penalties and suspensions for going after the Sens, you'll cry about poor officiating.
You're trying to imply that I'm being hypocritical when in fact it's because of the terrible penalties and suspensions handed to Bruins players this season that I figured Turris would be suspended. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same terrible calls across the board. If that had been Corvo launching himself elbow-first into the head of a turned Senator along the boards, I guarantee multiple people would be in this thread telling me how dirty my favorite team is. Not a huge issue though, the main reason why I like the Bruins is precisely because they take these matters personally instead of waiting around for the league to (not) do something about it. We'll see the Senators in Boston on Tuesday.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
On a completely unrelated-to-everything sidenote, what the hell is up with these ads behind the net in Dallas? I hope this doesn't catch on.
They had them during the Sabres/Rangers game at MSG last night too. It's the future of advertising, unfortunately.

You're trying to imply that I'm being hypocritical when in fact it's because of the terrible penalties and suspensions handed to Bruins players this season that I figured Turris would be suspended. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the same terrible calls across the board. If that had been Corvo launching himself elbow-first into the head of a turned Senator along the boards, I guarantee multiple people would be in this thread telling me how dirty my favorite team is. Not a huge issue though, the main reason why I like the Bruins is precisely because they take these matters personally instead of waiting around for the league to (not) do something about it. We'll see the Senators in Boston on Tuesday.
When I first watched the video in the link you posted, I figured it would be a fine at the very least (not a suspension, Turris has no previous history). But after I saw BlueCookies's post, I went back and watched it again and I agree that it's a good non-call. Turris didn't approach "from a ridiculous distance" (it used to be charging, but really isn't anymore), he skated about 20 feet and went for a shoulder to shoulder hit. Unfortunately for Corvo, he had just swung the puck up ice and his body naturally turned inward immediately before impact, opening up his head to the hit. Turris DID NOT use his elbow, he hit with his shoulder. There was no malicious intent, no targeting of the head. He didn't leave his feet until AFTER delivering the hit, and only did because his momentum carried him upward. You can't say "Turris should've done X," because that would only lead to "Turris shouldn't have hit Corvo at all," which is a ludicrous proposition. It was a hockey play gone wrong, and luckily Corvo seems okay.

It figures the one time I don't have class on Deadline Day at all until after the deadline absolutely nothing happens

Pahlsson to Vancouver is money for them but boring, otherwise only a couple irrelevant trades wtf is this shit -_-

Another deadline failure for the Carolina "Failing to move UFA's that will not be resigned for draft picks even though we have no chance to make the playoffs" Hurricanes.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
boring as fuck trade deadline

carter to kings only noteworthy trade happening around this past week or so (maybe quincy trade too)

yawn.

Man... Hodgson for Kassian came out of nowhere. I don't even know what to think right now. Kassian certainly makes the Canucks tougher but Hodgson has been playing so well this season, it doesn't make a lot of sense. If it was for a player that would help them right now, I have no problems with that, but I'm not sure Kassian is that player.

Gragnani is a nice, nice addition though. Very underrated defenseman.

Sabres win that trade hard, IMO. Both of today's slightly less irrelevant trades -- the Sharks/Avs and the Sabres/Canucks -- involved players I've seen quite a bit in the OHL, so to give some commentary on Zack Kassian and Michael Sgarbossa...

The latter is playing out of his fucking mind statistically right now (2nd in the OHL in points, though slightly lower points/per game than players with less GP due to tournaments and injury like Yakupov and Saad), but wasn't someone I thought "wow, this guy will be top-end NHL talent someday!" when I was watching him play here. Maybe he's improved a lot since I haven't seen him this season but I don't think he's as good as his stats.

I really don't like Kassian, either, so I see that as a big win for Buffalo. He's been good in recent appearances but the dude just struck me as incredibly mentally weak last time I saw him -- which was game 6 of a playoff series. I was in like the second row and some drunk old guy was so far in Kassian's head he was turning around yelling at him every few minutes. I realize he's still young but when you're getting trolled that hard by a fan in a playoff game you probably don't have the mental toughness required to be a professional athlete. I imagine on the Canucks end it's because he and Hodgson fill a little different roles -- Kassian makes sense spending some time on Line 2/3 because of being dirtier whereas Hodgson really need to be on line 1 or 2, where they don't have much room -- but I think Kassian is a lot less valuable.

Gragnani will probably be replacing Salo when next year comes around. I think this is a good trade for both teams. Hodgson has a lot of skill and deserves more than 3rd line minutes. Kassian is a big physical checking player that will fit in great on the Canucks 3rd line. He also has pretty good hands and can provide some offense.

Kassian fits more in the Canucks "win now" mode than Hodgson.

Edler+Gragnani is a nice PP blueline for the future.

Solid deal for both teams.

Figures the best deals come after 3 PM <_<

I'm glad the Leafs managed to grab Carter Ashton for Aulie. Aulie has sucked major weiners this year, and the fact that we managed to get a really solid prospect in return is huge. My Preds are really going for it, but a 1st rounder for Gaustad? o_O

I really like what Buffalo did this year. Can't believe they got a 1st rounder for a third line center at best. They got pretty good return in the Hodgson deal as well...

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I actually like the Hodgson/Kassian deal from Vancouver's standpoint.

Acquiring Sammy Pahlsson gives the Canucks a designated 3rd line checking center and would pretty much force Hodgson to play the wing somewhere in the top 9. I can't imagine Alain Vigneault would trust him in the same type of role, wing or center, that they just got Pahlsson for so you can rule out a spot on line 3. This means he should be playing top 6 minutes if he stays with the big club and that just doesn't seem to fit with what they've been doing in regard to his playing time. So do you send down a kid who is clearly NHL ready for yet another season and further delay (and possibly stunt) him taking the next step?

No, you move an asset, which is at high value right now, that you clearly don't need (come on, Kesler and Sedin are your top line centers for the next five years at least) in order to improve in other areas. Kassian is just as raw, probably more so, than Hodgson but he'll end up playing his natural position on the wing.. My understanding is that Hodgson is much less comfortable and effective playing out of position (but correct me if I'm wrong). The added size also helps (though I'm not familiar enough with Kassian to know how big he actually plays) and the Sabres did seem high on him as a power forward for the long term. The Canucks definitely could use another power forward more so than another skill center. He'll be a better fit into their top 9 for this season and the playoffs than Hodgson in my mind. The Gragnani throw in is a bonus and he could have a great future on their blueline in a couple years.. they don't necessarily need him right now, outside of being insurance depth, so that's a fine pick up altogether for your second best asset if you're Vancouver.

That said, the cliche goes that the team that gets the best player usually wins. So while both players (Hodgson and Kassian) are still extremely young, I do think the Sabres make out great in this trade and probably will end up winning it when we look back (if Canucks win the cup it probably doesn't matter to them, though). Size up front is going to be an ongoing issue with Buffalo but that wasn't going to be fixed by one winger and now they've at least acquired someone that could grow into the top line centerman they've lacked for quite some time.

Sayonara

don't forget
I didn't like the trade involving Tom Gilbert and Nick Schultz. Another questionable decision by Steve Tambellini...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)