The Everything NHL Thread

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't get your comment Royalty

Didn't they do a really good job?

Shanahan had Carlyle and Nonis as his coach and GM...now has Babcock and big Lou

that alone is really good no?

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Babs is definitely an improvement.
Pretty good draft.
Kessel trade was lackluster, but what are ya gonna do.

They were going pretty steadily, but I can't see a 72 year old stuck in the 90's helping them move into the new age. This being even more concerning because of how much power and control he had in NJ, he's going to be forced to work in a team environment with very conflicting views on how a team should be operated. I can only see it working if they put him on a very short leash as well as restricting his involvement to being solely a wingman or advisor, and then make Dubas the GM in a year or two. Just seems like an overall step back after they were making progress.

Also, is there plans to continue smogon league in the same format as last year?

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Babs is definitely an improvement.
Pretty good draft.
Kessel trade was lackluster, but what are ya gonna do.

They were going pretty steadily, but I can't see a 72 year old stuck in the 90's helping them move into the new age. This being even more concerning because of how much power and control he had in NJ, he's going to be forced to work in a team environment with very conflicting views on how a team should be operated. I can only see it working if they put him on a very short leash as well as restricting his involvement to being solely a wingman or advisor, and then make Dubas the GM in a year or two. Just seems like an overall step back after they were making progress.

Also, is there plans to continue smogon league in the same format as last year?
Lamoriello cited his age as the reason for leaving power in Jersey. He's on a 3 year deal. The very, very, distinct feeling here in Toronto is that Lou is here to basically be Ken Holland to Babcock, act as a sounding board for ideas and to work with the management team in an advisory capacity. He'd likely have a role in the trading process and can use his lengthy experience to have lines of conversation available that would otherwise be inaccessible. It seems very likely that he'll be grooming Dubas to take over from his at the end of his contract, that the management team will continue to be by committee, and that Lou gives us a big name to fill the GM title without sacrificing our goals. In the media interview today Lou even stated that he was fully on board with our rebuild and that Shanahan sold him on his vision. Given Shanahan's personnel moves so far I can't imagine him bringing in Lou if he thought Lou would try and run his own ship. Especially not with so many strong personalities in authority positions.

Genesis7

is a Past SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion
To the Canucks fans out there, enjoy Brandon Sutter. He's one of the hardest working players to go through the Pens in the last decade and one of the best two-way centers in the game rn imo. Don't know why we traded him away :(

Royalty

is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Pretty happy about the sutter trade since it will give the canucks another center that can actually win face offs and match up against other top centers. Bonino was pretty much useless against the top end west centers and didn't do shit on the 2nd PP unit so maybe this will open the door for horvat to get some 2nd pp time. We got clendening for free pretty much and already have weber/corrado that are better so losing him is irrelevant. Don't really get why J.B is so eager to throw in draft picks all the time, but w.e.

sutter is p bad tbh i thought the canucks got fleeced
Agreed. Sutter's pretty overrated, and really isn't good that defensively. Pens Top 6 is looking good as it usually does, but now that they've gotten actual good depth (more so getting better Top 6 players to push others down, but it's the same thing) for the first time since they won the Cup, they're going to be a serious threat. Sid-Geno-Bonino-Fehr is the best center corps in the league IMO.

Agreed. Sutter's pretty overrated, and really isn't good that defensively. Pens Top 6 is looking good as it usually does, but now that they've gotten actual good depth (more so getting better Top 6 players to push others down, but it's the same thing) for the first time since they won the Cup, they're going to be a serious threat. Sid-Geno-Bonino-Fehr is the best center corps in the league IMO.
Too bad their blueline is not very good.

Too bad their blueline is not very good.
It's definitely a question mark. Letang is always an injury risk, so he's a wildcard. I think they're relying a bit too much on their prospects/young players to take steps forward, but if they continue developing, then a D-Corps Matta-Letang/Pouliot-Cole/Lovejoy-Dumolin could certainly be enough to not actively harm them. Of course, that's dependent on them not playing Scuderi, which is unlikely, so with him in the lineup over either Lovejoy or Dumolin would make their blue line much worse.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hahahaha this trade is hilarious the Canucks got a 4-th line scrub and the Pens are looking dangerous again

Royalty

If Aldaron doesn't want to host again, I'll do it. Same set-up as last year with live auction draft and G, A, +/-, PPP, Hits, SOG, GAA, SV%, Wins?

Royalty

I guess I'll win again whatever.
Still the closest final I've seen in a few years.

Well that makes 4-5 so far, but I'd like a 12 man league so anyone active, knowledgeable, and interested is welcome to sign up here. I'll probably create the league by the end of the week and shoot for a draft time in the last week of Sept.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did a fantasy draft with my roommates and friends despite vehemently protesting that I wouldn't do fantasy hockey this year. Honestly have no idea how to think of my draft because I suck at fantasy hockey so I'm hoping y'all can give me some opinions/feedback on it. I picked 4th/10

C (/RW) - Patrick Kane (3) (fell because of concerns over his legal issues)
C - Tyler Johnson (5)
LW (RW) - Alex Ovechkin (1)
LW - James Van Riemsdyk (8)
RW - Vladimir Tarasenko (2)
RW - Mark Stone (12)
D - Victor Hedman (6)
D - Aaron Ekblad (10)
D - Sami Vatanen (11)
D - Nick Leddy (13)
BN (C, LW) - Alex Galchenyuk (14)
BN (C, LW, RW) - Ryan O'Reilly (15)
BN (D) - Morgan Rielly (16)

G - Ben Bishop (4)
G - Cory Schnieder (7)
BN (G) - Jaraslav Halak (9)

Top 3 picks were Crosby, Tavares, Seguin

Royalty

Did a fantasy draft with my roommates and friends despite vehemently protesting that I wouldn't do fantasy hockey this year. Honestly have no idea how to think of my draft because I suck at fantasy hockey so I'm hoping y'all can give me some opinions/feedback on it. I picked 4th/10

C (/RW) - Patrick Kane (3) (fell because of concerns over his legal issues)
C - Tyler Johnson (5)
LW (RW) - Alex Ovechkin (1)
LW - James Van Riemsdyk (8)
RW - Vladimir Tarasenko (2)
RW - Mark Stone (12)
D - Victor Hedman (6)
D - Aaron Ekblad (10)
D - Sami Vatanen (11)
D - Nick Leddy (13)
BN (C, LW) - Alex Galchenyuk (14)
BN (C, LW, RW) - Ryan O'Reilly (15)
BN (D) - Morgan Rielly (16)

G - Ben Bishop (4)
G - Cory Schnieder (7)
BN (G) - Jaraslav Halak (9)

Top 3 picks were Crosby, Tavares, Seguin
What kind of scoring system is it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)