The Everything NHL Thread

I really like the trade from Toronto's perspective. Getting that contract off the books is huge, and none of the three roster players they acquired are under contract beyond next season. They're probably going to buy out Cowen and Greening anyway, so in reality they basically just acquired the pick+prospect, and cap space for Stamkos and friends.

I like the trade from Sens' perspective too. They're not a cap team so taking a front loaded contract helps them and Phaneuf does a lot to fix their problems. No matter how much shit he gets, he's still a decent #2 and a GREAT #3. Good hoceky trade for both sides.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Happy birthday 50th LA Kings!

I set this to record and planned to watch it after we got home from dinner. The restaurant we went to had a bunch of TVs so we asked for the Kings game and I see 9-2 on the screen. I literally wiped my eyes three times to see if I wasn't hallucinating. Haven't seen a blowout like this in ages.

it's this time of the year again :toast:
Did you guys do a Smogon bracket challenge last year? I'd be down to join that, if we get a decent number of people to fill them out.

Also, I'm curious as to why you think so highly of the Rangers. Personally, I think they're in for a possible rude awakening vs. the Penguins (I have Pens in 6).

Part of me really hopes this is Ovi's year. I don't want to see one of the greatest goal scorers of all time retire without a cup ring. Holtby's been unreal and deserves one too. Teams like Nashville, the Rangers, Philly, and Detroit, San Jose, and maybe Minnesota probably won't, and shouldn't be in the playoffs next year. I can't see either conference being as bad next year, with the only exceptions being the Canucks, Sabres, and maybe the Leafs?

Nineteen more days until Edmonton wins another draft lottery :] Don't need it but why not, eh?

Last edited:

I think I might be insane. I really hope Ovie can win it but I really really don't like the matchups they will have to go through.

Florida should have an easy ticket to the ECF, Rangers are done.

Part of me really hopes this is Ovi's year. I don't want to see one of the greatest goal scorers of all time retire without a cup ring. Holtby's been unreal and deserves one too. Teams like Nashville, the Rangers, Philly, and Detroit, San Jose, and maybe Minnesota probably won't, and shouldn't be in the playoffs next year. I can't see either conference being as bad next year, with the only exceptions being the Canucks, Sabres, and maybe the Leafs?

Nineteen more days until Edmonton wins another draft lottery :] Don't need it but why not, eh?
So Sabres are a definite, but the Leafs are a maybe? :D

So Sabres are a definite, but the Leafs are a maybe? :D
I can't convince myself that Stamkos won't not go to Toronto. Him and Matthews really changes the dynamics of that team, but both hinge on some pretty big ifs. I personally think Tim Murray is a shit for how he handled last year's lottery, and wish him nothing but ineptitude. It's not a slight on the fans, just on him.

Ah yes, the saltiness about Murray being disappointed because of the shitshow that the NHL Lottery is. He's done a great job so far and I have 100% faith in Sabres being at least a bubble team next year.

Don't see the Rangers going anywhere unfortunately, Pitt's just too good this year. Lots of good series in the opening round though. SJ-LA and CHI-STL are both obvious ones, but NYI-FLA and PHI-WSH both have the potential to be sneakily competitive series.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Maple Leafs sign Kadri and Rielly to six year deals at 4.5 and 5 million AAV respectively. Massive steals for both. Y'all gonna be so salty when we get two of Matthews/Stamkos/Laine. That centre depth tho

Y'all gonna be so salty when Stamkos resigns in Tampa and Leafs pick 4th. Then finish last again. Gonna be fun to watch fo sho.

New Leafs regime really has things going right. Have to love both those deals (laughing at those who are saying the Kadri deal is bad, and it's mostly only because they think he's a poor character to have around during a rebuild and "only" a 50-point player, which is fine, considering a guy like Ryan Kesler is going to be paid $6.875M AAV starting next year). That Rielly contract is just outstanding too: going to look real cheap in a few years.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
was quite hopeful for my rangers knowing that they were facing a third string goalie, but then lundqvist got injured and it all sorta fell apart. giving up shorthanded goals on 2-on-1s that could've been prevented don't help, either, rip. leaves me wondering if they have much of a chance in the remaining gaves, especially w/ a shaky lundqvist prolly coming back for the remainder as opposed to a 100% one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)