The Everything NHL Thread

Favorite draft picks tonight, outside of the team you root for?

Mine's probably Clayton Keller for AZ: love his creativity and overall game. Understand his lack of size can hurt him, and Arizona has a glut of young forwards in its system, but I think you win with talent across the board, and they ended up with Chychrun at 16 anyway, so I don't think they're stung too badly.

The other one is Puljujarvi falling to Edmonton: they must be thrilled. Even when they don't win the lottery, they kind of win the lottery.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
kinda dissapointed ottawa flipped a third to move up... one slot. how likely do you guys think it was that nj was gonna pick brown? not too sure what nj needed but if it was likely to happen i suppose it was justifiable. imo they didnt want brown too bad if they were willing to make the trade down in the first place (and thus miss out on him) though

winnipeg did well, laine is great and stanley adds some depth on D. laine + scheifele is gonna be a sweet combo in a few years

i also thought calgary had a nice day, matt tkachuk is a stud and a steal at 6th imo, and they finally got a goalie that's more useful than a shooter tutor

in other news edmonton once again passed over good defenseman for a hotshot forward...

favourite pick was probably gauthier for the hurricanes, hopefully they can become relevant again some day. either that or tkachuk for the flames

sidenote: jesus christ some of these kids are massive, one of them apparently has an 83 inch wingspan... thats wider than chara is tall

(sry for lack of formatting btw, on mobile)

Debrincat at 39 was a steal for the Hawks. Carolina did well with Bean at 13, and I'm pumped that we got Day at 81. Went through some personal issues so his conditioning and overall bodily healthy hasn't been great, but if he puts it together, he'll be a steal.

I don't know in what universe a Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson one-for-one deal can be considered fair value for the Oilers, but this is exactly why they've been rebuilding. I get the fascination with Larsson as a young D, but this trade just looks awful from the get-go.

EDIT: And now, PK Subban traded straight-up for Shea Weber. Amazing. I LOVE this deal for the Predators. Weber's already slightly declining and slightly overrated defensively: he's not as great as he's made out to be (still elite though). I'd much rather have Subban.

EDIT2: Bob McKenzie just confirmed that Stamkos is remaining with the Lightning. The free agent frenzy has officially come and gone...this day has been crazy.

Last edited:

chuckaboomboom

I believe I can HM02
Subban for Weber was just... mind-boggling. Like... wtf?

I'm actually excited about Hall for Larsson though. I'm an Oilers fan, and Larsson is what the Oilers needed. He's a legitimate first line D, was +15, and played against the leagues best forwards. Was it an overpay? Of course, but to get a 1D you have to pay a premium. Also, if the Oilers land Lucic then the loss of Hall will be mitigated.

Subban for Weber was just... mind-boggling. Like... wtf?

I'm actually excited about Hall for Larsson though. I'm an Oilers fan, and Larsson is what the Oilers needed. He's a legitimate first line D, was +15, and played against the leagues best forwards. Was it an overpay? Of course, but to get a 1D you have to pay a premium. Also, if the Oilers land Lucic then the loss of Hall will be mitigated.
Everything I've seen from Larsson over his NHL career makes me think he's a 2nd-pair D right now who's asked to play against the team's top opposition. He has the upside to grow into a true top-pair D level player, but he's more a 3rd or 4th D right now who was asked to take on the tough minutes (because who else on the Devils was going to?). Not that the move doesn't have upside and that Larsson won't improve, but I keep seeing less and less from him that makes me believe he'll ever be a No. 1 D in the NHL (instead, I think he'll be either a complementary top-pair defenseman or the anchor to a strong second-pair).

That said, the Oilers' defense is better for it. If they do end up getting Jason Demers in free-agency, I actually really like their top-four of Klefbom (extremely underrated and probably the guy who ends up emerging as the No. 1 on this team), Larsson, Sekera, and Demers.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So, Hall for Larsson straight up is obviously advantage Hall-side. That said...The Oilers needed a D man like Larsson, and while you never like to see an overpay, they went for it to fill a need. The "but they could have signed Jason Demers" also doesn't fly with me because Larsson is better than Demers now AND has a way higher ceiling. You could also argue that Hall's injury history, particularly with the aggressive, gung-ho nature of his playing style, that the oilers were also paying for safety in addition to positional necessity.

Also, the "next-up" line of reasoning also applies here. The "next-up" option for the Oilers, offensively, is obviously a drop from Hall but not horrendously so. Maybe they feel Yakupov can take that next step now? Maybe Nugenthall switches to the wing with their upcoming C?

So while I think, straight up 1 for 1 at this moment the Oilers made a disadvantageous and potentially bad trade, I can see the reasoning. They overpaid because a good defenseman is harder to get than a good winger, because Larsson is a safer investment injury wise than Hall, and because they feel they than reasonably replace the dropoff from Hall better than the dropoff from not Larsson.

However...

The subban for weber trade is absolutely mind boggling to me though. Weber is demonstratively declining...both advanced stats wise and the "eye check' method wise. You get what...a year or two of supposed (read: bullshit) better defensive d-man??? You sacrifice arguably the second most offensively gifted D-man in the league (Karlsson obv #1 and Burns doesn't count anymore) + his better than advertised defense + his higher ceiling + his waaayyyyy better contracts for that?!

Really?!

The habs are fucking dumb.

So, Hall for Larsson straight up is obviously advantage Hall-side. That said...The Oilers needed a D man like Larsson, and while you never like to see an overpay, they went for it to fill a need. The "but they could have signed Jason Demers" also doesn't fly with me because Larsson is better than Demers now AND has a way higher ceiling. You could also argue that Hall's injury history, particularly with the aggressive, gung-ho nature of his playing style, that the oilers were also paying for safety in addition to positional necessity.

So while I think, straight up 1 for 1 at this moment the Oilers made a disadvantageous and potentially bad trade, I can see the reasoning.

The subban for weber trade is absolutely mind boggling to me though. Weber is demonstratively declining...both advanced stats wise and the "eye check' method wise. You get what...a year or two of supposed (read: bullshit) better defensive d-man??? You sacrifice arguably the second most offensively gifted D-man in the league (Karlsson obv #1 and Burns doesn't count anymore) + his better than advertised defense + his higher ceiling + his waaayyyyy better contracts for that?!

Really?!

The habs are fucking dumb.
The Habs essentially chose to keep Michel Therrien over P.K. Subban. Not to mention his work in the Montreal community went completely overlooked as well. It's like what a lot of people were saying: the city of Montreal and the fans loved Subban, but management didn't. This is going to bite them.

At least Nashville's on the hook for cap recapture penalties if Weber retires before 2026, but to me, that's the only real positive Montreal gets from this deal.

I don't trust Larsson to do as well in Edmonton as he did in Jersey. He's going from possibly the most disciplined defensive system to... Oilers. This is not gonna end well and Chiarelli will be fired over it.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Chiarelli will now be known for trading Tyler Seguin and Tyler Hall...

Tyler Seguin + Rich Peverley + Ryan Button + Tyler Hall for Louis Eriksson + Reilly Smith + Joe Morrow + Matt Fraser + Adam Larsson...

Ryan Button and Matt Fraser aren't in the nhl anymore, and Reilly Smith was turned into Jimmy Hayes...so basically he traded Tyler Seguin + Tyler Hall + Rich Peverley for Louis Eriksson, Jimmy Hayes, Joe Morrow, and Adam Larsson...

That's so bad lol.......

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
so we trade away subban but sign radulov

this is such a headscratcher lol I don't think it's possible to make sense out of this

And apparently Weber hates him or something lmao

In other news, KYLO OKPOSO ONLY GOT 6M YAAAY
Not a bad deal for either team. I think he was on the Wild's radar, but I'm also glad we didn't sign him. We don't need more money tied up in another winger, especially for 5+ years. We could do with a proper 1C, but not at the price Backes went for. I'm happy with our pickup of Staal, both for the price and for the length (2 years/~3M AAV). We don't have a true 1C, but our lines are deep enough where we can just roll with whichever of our top 3 lines is hot and hope for the best.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)