The Expert Belt Dojo (Q&A) (CHALLENGES CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combo Approval, please

Non-normal-typed "Slash", "Cut", "Cross", "Claw", or "Scissor" move (took this part from Razor Claw's item description) + Razor Shell: Razor Shell Becomes Dual-typed (if possible), grants the "slash's" effect along with a chance to lower defense. The combo's Energy Cost is your decision, Combo-approval team.
Instructions on visuals: Also, here's a picture of Razor Shell on TV. Adjust the hue, Saturation, and Brightness as seen here (Photoshop Example of Dark Shell Slash, which is Night Slash + Razor Shell.), and there you have the complete Elemental Razor Shell.

Could I use Dig to hollow out a tunnel, then after I emerge use Hydro pump to push a pokemon into the hole, followed by Ice Beam to freeze it underground (since it is trapped in a hole filled with water?)

Athenodoros

Official Smogon Know-It-All
Non-normal-typed "Slash", "Cut", "Cross", "Claw", or "Scissor" move (took this part from Razor Claw's item description) + Razor Shell: Razor Shell Becomes Dual-typed (if possible), grants the "slash's" effect along with a chance to lower defense. The combo's Energy Cost is your decision, Combo-approval team.
Instructions on visuals: Also, here's a picture of Razor Shell on TV. Adjust the hue, Saturation, and Brightness as seen here (Photoshop Example of Dark Shell Slash, which is Night Slash + Razor Shell.), and there you have the complete Elemental Razor Shell.
It depends on the move. "Claw" moves wouldn't work because they are totally different from Razor Shell, but something like Night Slash would work eccelently. As a rule of thumb, if they are executed similarly then they should be fine.

Few Ideas of Combos:

Flare Blitz+Extremespeed?
Thunder+Hurricane? (Massive Thunderstorm?)
Flare Blitz and Extremespeed would be fine, because they are executed so similarly, probably giving +2 priority Flare Blitz. Thunder and Hurricane, however, would not really combine in any way, because they are such different attacks, even if the context for each is similar. They could potentially be used at the same time, I suppose, but the effect would not really be any different from using them one after the other.

Does Nature Power only allow the one attack that fits most with the arena's flavor, or all the attacks the arena supports?
The description is: "The Pokemon draws upon the natural elements present to use an attack it couldn’t normally use". This suggests that it can, but very few arenas would have enough of the natural elements to support two different Nature Powers. It would require something like a blizzard over an ocean, which would allow Blizzard or Hydro Pump.

Could I use Dig to hollow out a tunnel, then after I emerge use Hydro pump to push a pokemon into the hole, followed by Ice Beam to freeze it underground (since it is trapped in a hole filled with water?)
It is generally held to be quite hard to push Pokemon into hazards in ASB, because they can alter course even while being hit back. However, if you can get a Pokemon into the hole and then use Ice Beam before they come out, then it would work. What you'd do then I'm not sure, but the idea is sound if you can pull it off. 1 WC + 1/3

I wonder if tri-move combos are avalible, I'm trying to use Razor Shell + Air Slash + Night Slash against a Bulbasaur Terrador owns for the whole round. It would possibly tri-typed, please. It'll also gain both of the slash's effects, if possible, it might be overpowered. OK?

Athenodoros

Three-move comboes are possible, in principle. That one seems okay, because it all fits together. I'm not sure it be worth it though, because the base power would be so much lower than just doing one after the other. 2/3

Alright-what would Shadow Ball+Energy Ball do? I would suspect a larger special defense drop chance, but what would it be? Both Abomasnow and Sigilyph can run the combo.

Also...Ice Beam+Aqua Jet on Krillowatt. The combo had to be asked eventually. Additionally, Scald+Hydro Pump.

Additionally, could I get a hard coding on Icy Wind+Blizzard?

oh, and finally: Tail Glow+Nasty Plot combo on Smeargle?

I wonder if tri-move combos are avalible, I'm trying to use Razor Shell + Air Slash + Night Slash against a Bulbasaur Terrador owns for the whole round. It would possibly tri-typed, please. It'll also gain both of the slash's effects, if possible, it might be overpowered. OK?
I dunno about other stuff, but Razor Shell + Air Slash makes sense to me as a special Flying-type move with a chance to lower defense.

Scald + Hydro Pump makes me think of a water-type Fire Blast with 10% chance to Burn. Or maybe like a water-type Heat Wave or something, since (I assume) Scald doesn't have that much water (it probably takes too much energy to boil so much water or something? *shrug*

....not that I'm an official authority in this thread or anything. (I'm not.)

Okay so, I've got one.

Sweet Scent + Grasswhistle.
Sweet Scent lowers evasion by making foes relaxed, and Grasswhistle tries to put foes to sleep by relaxing them. It's a compound-relaxing effect that ought to (I hope) drastically improve the accuracy of the latter move. Question is, how much by?

Athenodoros

I should point out that just because two moves do similar things, does not mean they can be added together. Anyway:

Alright-what would Shadow Ball+Energy Ball do? I would suspect a larger special defense drop chance, but what would it be? Both Abomasnow and Sigilyph can run the combo.

I wouldn't say that they would add together, and here is why: Shadow Ball is, obviously, and ball of shadows being flung at the opponent, and Energy Ball is a ball of life. In the flavourful world of Pokemon, Life and Shadows would seem to be polar opposites, and so the attacks would not combine in any meaningful way, and might even go some way to cancelling each other out. The fact that they are both balls of some sort of energy does not mean they can be added together, just like Ice Beam and Flamethrower can't.

Also...Ice Beam+Aqua Jet on Krillowatt. The combo had to be asked eventually. Additionally, Scald+Hydro Pump.

Ice Beam and Aqua Jet would not work, because Aqua Jet is not firing a jet of water as you might think, but rather coating yourself in water and firing yourself. This means they do not fit together.

Scald and Hydro Pump would definitely work together. The descriptions are very similar, and the execution of the combo is easy to imagine. I would say that it would have Scald's 30% burn chance and Hydro Pump's base power and accuracy, in addition to perhaps not being weakened as much by Sunny Day.

Additionally, could I get a hard coding on Icy Wind+Blizzard?

I'd say that they would combine to give Base Power of Blizzard, maybe increased slightly to 14 or 15, accuracy of Icy Wind and the secondary effects of both.

oh, and finally: Tail Glow+Nasty Plot combo on Smeargle?

I'm not sure what you expect this to do. They don't really combine, and the only only thing they have in common is the Special Attack boost, which you could just get from doing one after the other.
Okay so, I've got one.

Sweet Scent + Grasswhistle.
Sweet Scent lowers evasion by making foes relaxed, and Grasswhistle tries to put foes to sleep by relaxing them. It's a compound-relaxing effect that ought to (I hope) drastically improve the accuracy of the latter move. Question is, how much by?

Thinking of how this would be executed, I can't imagine that this would improve the accuracy of Grasswhistle, because the Sweet Scent would not help it in any way. Rather, I would say that it would lead to a greater drop in evasion and possibly one extra turn of quaranteed sleep as the effects compounded. Although this would mean sacrificing the improved accuracy of Grasswhistle because of the evasion drop if it is used after Sweet Scent, because if used in this order Grasswhistle would be more likely, even if not because of any combo effects.
1 WC

Putting your comment outside of the quote would make it easier for me to quote YOU in turn. Dx
Thinking of how this would be executed, I can't imagine that this would improve the accuracy of Grasswhistle, because the Sweet Scent would not help it in any way. Rather, I would say that it would lead to a greater drop in evasion and possibly one extra turn of quaranteed sleep as the effects compounded. Although this would mean sacrificing the improved accuracy of Grasswhistle because of the evasion drop if it is used after Sweet Scent, because if used in this order Grasswhistle would be more likely, even if not because of any combo effects.
Seeing as decreasing evasion essentially results in the same effect as improving accuracy, I don't see how it really makes any difference. :0 So it sounds like from your perspective, I might as well just use the two moves separately, which would be reasonably effective.

....I realize this. I think it's pretty clear that the idea was to go a step further. And really, the notion of a roughly sleep powder-accurate (or even slightly better might not be too much to ask!) sleep move at the cost of a combo move isn't really that broken, nor is the notion of a Pokemon releasing a sweet scent while playing the Grasswhistle all that farfetched from my perspective. I'm sorry you disagree. :\

Athenodoros

I know that it isn't broken, but that isn't the reason I said it wouldn't work. It also isn't because the two moves couldn't be executed at the same time. Rather, it was because the Grasswhistle's accuracy (i.e. how likely it is that it goes in the right direction) would be unaffected by the presence of a sweet scent which, on an unrelated note, would do a similar thing. In order for it to make a difference, the evasion drop would have to happen first, but since the sound of the Grasswhistle would reach the Pokemon first in a combo move, this isn't possible, and only the secondary effects of each could add like I said before. I hope that explains what I was thinking a bit better. 1/3

....okay yeah, I think it does, sorry for the misunderstanding.

...but by that logic, it sounds like something to the effect of Tailwind (or Gust or something) + Grasswhistle would do the trick, yes? :D

Just noting that in the Anime ice-aqua jet is a legitimate move. You freeze the water while inside it so it's an ice attack. The impact then breaks the ice.

Just noting that in the Anime ice-aqua jet is a legitimate move. You freeze the water while inside it so it's an ice attack. The impact then breaks the ice.
This was quite literally what I was going for. Half-jokingly, but still.

Anyways...Wild Charge+Aqua Jet? Krillowattt combines its electric might with its aquatic speed to launch a rapid assault at the opponent.

Athenodoros

@ Banryu: Potentially, yes. A better example would be something like Hyper Voice and Sing, where they are similar attacks and it makes a lot of sense that Hyper Voice could carry and boost the accuracy of Sing.

@ TravelLog: Oh, that''s what you are trying to do with it. That''s why you should post a description of how you want the combo to work. That would work, and I''d imagine it would be an Ice-type Aqua Jet, because it is the same move with ice instead of water. Sorry about that.

EDIT: @ Gerard: Either way, the combo works.

@ Tortferngatr: Yes, it would work. I''d say priority Wild Charge, unless the environment interected with the new association with water of the attack to interact in some way. 1 WC

LOL. I reeeeeeally have to beg to differ about Hyper Voice + Sing. Sing's accuracy issues, to me, come from its unreliability in terms of not only mons' ability to hear it, but also because of how relaxed they are. A hyped-up Pokemon (IE Vital Spirit), for instance, may hear Sing but not be put to sleep by it necessarily. It relies on a soothing melody to put things to sleep.

...Hyper Voice, on the other hand, is just a very shockingly-loud sound attack. It's probably more jarring and abrasive than anything, and thus it seems like a poor medium to amplify sing (Sing is, or so I imagine, not half as relaxing at a very loud volume, and thus unlikely to put anything to sleep from my perspective).

Athenodoros

The last line of Sing''s move decription is ""Will not work if the Pokemon can not hear the attack"" or something. The idea is that a Pokemon uses its Hyper Voice to project the attack more than it otherwise would, in more directions and more loudly, much like Jiggly''s mike in the anime, where it can reach more people and still put them to sleep because of the power of the song, rather than because it soothes.

The problem is that hyper voice is in no way calming. I would suggest Echo Voice as a slightly more viable combo option

Well... if you look at it like a magical incantation or something, then I suppose that makes sense. I guess I was looking at it the wrong way. x___@ Still, seems like the accuracy ought to still be better given that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)