The Exploding Hamsters

[/COLOR]
EXCEPT THEY'RE NOT HAMSTERS

Hey, Smogon, this is my first UU RMT with one of my favorite teams. It peaked at #82/9221 in the Pokemon Online server and has remained there for a few days. I understand that the Smogon server is the more skilled of the two, but I feel the team still needs more testing and editing before I can take it to the top of Smogon's UU. Without further ado, let's get a look at the team at a glance.

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS
First I decided that I needed someone bulky to set up hazards, but also quick in case I needed to get an attack off. I decided that Deoxys-D was a perfect candidate, as he has massive defenses, passable HP, and good speed.

Next I decided that I need a physical wall who could recover off damage and wasn't afraid of stat boosts. Quagsire seemed to fit the role quite nicely. Unaware stops all setup in its tracks and Stockpile allows for excellent walling from both sides of the spectrum.

I then decided that I need an attacker. Someone who could tear through teams with little to no setup. I considered Victini or Bisharp, but they were quickly forsaken because of Stealth Rock and Fighting weaknesses respectively. Escavalier caught my eye due to his respectable bulk, excellent attack stat and ability. A Choice Band set seemed effective because it doesn't need setup to wreak havoc.

I then realized that while my team is fairly solid, I have no members that are fast in their own regard. I spent some time searching around and found Cobalion to be absolutely fantastic here. Outspeeds a TON of the UU tier allowing for the stop of setups like Bisharp and opposing Escavalier with Taunt, and Justified for a surprise attack boost from many of the Dark type moves that surround UU.

I then decided I needed a revenge killer. Someone with a great movepool and good Special Attack, because I have no reliable Special Sweepers on my team. I decided that putting a Choice Scarf on Sharpedo would be a good idea. Great movepool and good Special Attack makes him ideal. I had originally considered Samurott, but was and still am unsure about it.

For the final spot I decided that someone with the ability to clean up late game and cripple other attackers while simultaneously keeping threats to my sweepers in check. Sigilyph seemed appropriate with Psycho Shift, Magic Guard, and Flame Orb, it was all fine and dandy.

After a good explanation I decided that Sharpedo was not as useful as originally thought. Kingdra and his lack of weaknesses was the suggested Pokemon, and the synergy is better than Sharpedos.

THE TEAM:

Deoxys-D (Titus) @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252HP/104Def/32SpDef/120Spe
Moves:

-Stealth Rock
-Spikes
-Recover
-Psychic/Taunt

Deoxys makes a great Pokemon for the setup of entry hazards. The EV spread is a little weird, but it helps increase durability. The 120 Speed EVs are to outspeed several slower hazard using leads and pull off a Taunt. I am considering changing up the EV spread or moveset if this proves to be too much of a hindrance. However the ability to set up both sets of entry hazards reliably is quite appealing.

Quagsire (WOMP) @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpDef
Moves:

-Yawn/Amnesia
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Recover

With access to great recovery, Scald, as well as Yawn or Amnesia to pseudo-phaze and boost respectively, it's no wonder Quagsire is a returning veteran of the Underused tier. Unaware + Amnesia/Scald allows it to halt Pokemon like Swords Dance Bisharp, Calm Mind Spiritomb, and Nasty Plot Houndoom. Recover when your HP is low, and Ice Beam for added coverage. The Fire resist is also invaluable to my team. Cobalion and Escavalier are both weak, the latter having a 4x weakness.

Escavalier (Power Hump) @ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252HP/252Atk/4Def
Moves:

-Megahorn
-Iron Head
-Pursuit
-Return/Aerial Ace

This is, how do I put it...INSANE. Escavalier with this much investment into his attack stat tears through teams like a chainsaw through hot butter. With an abysmal base 20 speed I'm kinda disappointed he doesn't get Gyro Ball, but Megahorn more than makes up for it. The HP investment is essentially filler, as Speed EVs are generally a lost cause here. Before Swarm, Megahorn scores 2HKOs on many of the premier walls of UU, and afterwards, it can go so far as to OHKO such incredible pains like Max HP Max Def Milotic. His movepool is somewhat lacking, so in the last slot I tend to alternate. Return is usually the more powerful option, but Aerial Ace hits Heracross harder than Iron Head or Megahorn while still providing OK coverage.

Cobalion (Athos) @ Leftovers
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Jusitfied
EVs: 252 ATK/252Spe/4Def
Moves:

-Stone Edge
-Close Combat
-Taunt
-Swords Dance

Cobalion is the leader of the Musketeer Trio and ironically, the least used. He serves as an excellent check to a lot of popular threats such as Snorlax, Chansey, Non-Scarfed Victini, and Bisharp. It can switch in on a Dark Type move aimed at Deoxys or Sigilyph and get a nice attack boost. It outspeeds other Pokemon like Bisharp and OHKOs with Close Combat. If Snorlax is setting up, I can switch in, Taunt, and proceed to set up my own Swords Dance. Overall it's an incredible Pokemon that has saved me many a time.

Kingdra (Louis XIV) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Nature: Modest
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves:

-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Hidden Power [Grass]

Kingdra's lack of weaknesses and ability to set up Rain Dances to weaken the multiple Fire weaknesses as well as 4x resist Fire himself, he synergizes perfectly with my team. Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor provide excellent coverage with Hidden Power Grass to take care of annoying Gastrodons and Quagsires that try to sponge hits. Overall, Kingdra is great. After Rain, he outspeeds almost everything and can even KO with Hydro Pump. Much bulkier and easier to bring in than Sharpedo.

Sigilyph (Totem) @ Flame Orb
Nature: Calm
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252HP/68Def/180SpDef/8Spe
Moves:

-Cosmic Power
-Stored Power
-Psycho Shift
-Roost

Sigilyph is an absolute monster when used correctly. If Cosmic power gets set up enough it will become nigh on unkillable bar a critical hit, Roost is reliable recovery, Psycho Shift is to burn any physical attackers that want to try and fire off a Crunch/Night Slash/Sucker Punch, and Stored Power rounds off the set with a powerful offensive move.

There you have it! Please, Rate and fix to your liking. I'll be posting the threat list shortly.​

Abomasnow: Cobalion resists both STABS and can OHKO with either offensive move.
Aerodactyl: Quagsire can take it's Rock STAB and hit back hard with Scald.
Altaria: Sharpedo can outspeed non-scarfers and OHKO with Ice Beam.
Arcanine: Quagsire/Sharpedo can put the puppy in his place
Azelf: Escavalier can come in on a STAB Psychic and trap it with Pursuit/Megahorn.
Azumarill: Quagsire can take hits OK, Sigilyph can shift the burn to permanently cripple it.
Bisharp: Almost nothing on my team fears it. Cobalion, Escavalier, and Quagsire all laugh at it.
Celebi: My best bet is Sharpedo's Ice beam, otherwise I have to whittle it down with hazards. THREAT TO THE TEAM.
Chansey: Cobalion can come in and Close Combat, Escavalier can Megahorn.
Charizard: Rocks up its ass or outspeed and KO with Sharpedo.
Cobalion: Crippled by Sigilyph, Quagsire laughs at SD sets, Deoxys can scare any that don't have SE moves.
Crobat: Sigilyph, Sharpedo outspeeds after a Speed Boost, Quagsire.
Deoxys-D: Cobalion screws it over with Taunt, after that Escavalier can deal with it.
Donphan: Sharpedo laughs at it.
Drapion: Quagsire, Escavalier.
Dugtrio: Quagsire threatens and scares away with Scald
Durant: No SE hits from my team. Sigilyph can attempt to switch in and burn it, a big threat to the team.
Dusknoir: Can't do much against it. Iron Head from Escavalier or Sharpedo's Hydro Pump can deal with it.
Eelektross: No weaknesses, but Quagsire is immune to its STAB, and other team members can KO relatively easily.
Emboar: Quagsire and Sharpedo
Empoleon: Cobalion can scare it off with STAB Close Combats
Escavalier: Rough time with Bulky variants. Burn with Sigilyph helps immensely.
Espeon: Sharpedo can scare it off, otherwise, not much.
Flygon: Sharpedo can outspeed after a Speed Boost and KO with Ice Beam.
Gorebyss: Sharpedo outspeeds before a Shell Smash, can threaten with HP Grass, Cobalion can Taunt it before the Shell Smash and dent it with Close Combat.

Heracross: Aerial Ace from Escavalier is an easy OHKO, otherwise Scarf variants outspeed most of my team. Big threat, but Cobalion can come in on a resisted Megahorn and do damage with Stone Edge.
Hitmontop: Sigilyph walls it for days. Deoxys does as well. Threatens Sharpedo sweeps, but otherwise it isn't too much of a hassle.
Honchkrow: Cobalion can come in on Dark type moves and OHKO with +1 Stone edges or Close Combats.
Houndoom: Usually comes in on Escavalier, if it tries to Nasty Plot, Cobalion comes in and kills it. Usually sacrifice something to bring Cobalion in safely, though.
Huntail: Sharpedo outspeeds before the Shell Smash and can KO with HP Grass.
Jolteon: Escavalier can come in if it doesn't have HP Fire and OHKO with Megahorn.
Kingdra: If it gets more than 1 DD, the team is done. Non substitute variants are stopped by Sigilyph, however.
Kyurem: Cobalion outspeeds all non-scarfers and KOs with Close Combat/Stone Edge.
Lilligant: Escavalier resists its STAB and KOs with Megahorn or Aerial Ace/Iron Head
Mamoswine: Wrecked by Cobalion and Escavalier. Quagsire also walls it effectively.
Mew: Until I find out what kind of Mew it is, it's very dangerous. Escavalier can trap any version not running Fire Blast/Flamethrower.
Milotic: Escavalier can KO with Megahorn after swarm, still leaves a massive dent before, and Sigilyph can outstall it when worst comes to worst.
Mismagius: Escavalier can live any hit and trap/KO with Pursuit/Iron Head.
Nidoking: Sharpedo outspeeds and OHKOs with Hydro Pump
Nidoqueen: See Nidoking
Quagsire: HP Grass from Sharpedo tears it apart
Raikou: My team has a rough time with it, but so long as it isn't a SubCM set, the trouble is minimum. Still a big threat.
Registeel: Cobalion resists STAB and can KO with Close Combat
Roserade: Sharpedo and Escavalier demolish it.
Rotom-h: Sharpedo outspeeds and can KO with Hydro Pump
Sawsbuck: Escavalier can KO with Megahorn
Shaymin: See Sawsbuck.
Sigilyph: Taunt from Cobalion, Escavalier's Megahorn
Slowbro: Escavalier can OHKO with SE Megahorn
Smeargle: Taunt stops it dead.
Snorlax: Cobalion checks it perfectly
Spiritomb: Megahorn can KO if Will-O-Wisp doesn't happen, Hydro Pump from Sharpedo can deal some intense damage.
Staraptor: Sharpedo can outspeed after a Speed Boost and KO with Ice Beam, Quagsire can take most hits.
Suicune: HP Grass from Sharpedo hurts it, Escavlaier can 1-2HKO it with Megahorn
Tangrowth: Escavalier and Sigilyph destroy it.
Togekiss: Nothing really to take it down bar Stone Edge from Cobalion. Rough time against it.
Uxie: Megahorn is an easy OHKO.
Victini: Cobalion's Stone Edge kills off all non-scarfers, Hydro Pump will also KO.
Victreebel: Huge threat if Sun is active. Not sure how to deal bar Ice Beam from Sharpedo.
Vulpix: Easily KOed by Cobalion/Sharpedo.
Weavile: Escavalier can take most of its hits and KO with either STAB move.
Wobbuffet: Escavalier mows through it. Taunt + SD on Cobalion
Xatu: Stone Edge can easily take care of it, Sharpedo scares it out.
Yanmega: Sharpedo can KO with Ice Beam, Cobalion can KO with Stone Edge.
Zapdos: Cobalion can hurt it badly, Sharpedo hurts a lot too.
Zoroark: Cobalion can come in on Night Daze and KO with Close Combat, however Flamethrower hurts the team very badly.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
If you want an alternative ev spread on you Deo-D, I use 252 Hp/ 252 Spe with a Bold Nature.

@T-Tar: Isn't his survivability a lot lower because of that?

@Parasol Kirby: Yep. Anything is possible in the broken world of B/W!

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
I haven't noticed it very much when using but I find the extra speed to be useful for a fast Taunt.

The EV spread you currently have for Deo-D (252HP/104Def/32SpDef/120Spe) puts you at 246 Speed. Running 252 Speed EVs instead gives you 279 Speed. The only common lead worth taunting that would be worth running the extra Speed for is Roserade, and even then, that assumes Roserade is running Modest and not Timid AND you'll still have to win the speed tie. You would also be able to outspeed Kingdra, but I don't exactly know if that's really worth changing the set for, as Kingdra isn't really a lead type of Pokemon anyway. You might actually be able to get away with a few less Speed EVs, as you can outspeed and taunt Uxie at 52 EVs and Abomasnow at 100 EVs (if you fear SubSeed).

One other note on EV spread: for Escavalier, consider 248 HP EVs instead. If you find yourself needing a repeated switch-in, having Escavalier's max HP not divisible by 8 will let you switch in an additional time through Stealth Rock (you'll come in with 1 HP instead of dying right off). Reference here: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue2/saving_hp2

Overall, this looks like a pretty solid team, Roosh. Escavalier and Cobalion cover each other well, particularly since after one Swords Dance, Escavalier's Megahorn can nail the coveted OHKO on Bold 252/252 Suicune after SR. The only concern I have is Sharpedo: while the special set is a good way to surprise people, Sharpedo's excessive fragility is a concern considering he's the only real special attacker you have on the team, let alone the only powerful Water-type attack user. The only opportunities Sharpedo can get on the field are from predicted Psychic-type attacks (which really shouldn't be coming at you very often) and on the revenge.

Since having a Water-type attacker is definitely important for coverage on your team, consider this Kingdra instead of Sharpedo:

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
Modest
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
-Rain Dance
-Hydro Pump
-Draco Meteor
-Hidden Power Grass

Since Kingdra would also be serving a revenge-oriented purpose on your team, he'll often find himself with a turn to set up while the opponent switches. After Rain Dance, Kingdra will be outspeeding just about everything. This also lets him take down Kyurem switches. While Kingdra's Special Attack is the same as Sharpedo's, his Hydro Pump will definitely be more powerful as it has Rain to back it up (more props for Rain as it eliminates pesky sun sweepers' chlorophyll). HP Grass is just filler basically, but it hits Gastrodon who think they're clever by getting a boost from Hydro Pump. Kingdra's Dragon weakness is also a nonissue, as Escavalier can switch into Kyurem's Draco Meteor and Swords Dance on the switch out.

Are you recommending I run an SD Escavalier? Or do you mean Cobalion? My Escavalier is CB.

But I do see what you're getting at on Kingdra. Rain Dance support would also help to curb the Fire weaknesses of my other two teammates. While Escavalier would still be weak, it would be x2, possibly allowing it to survive HP Fire from slightly weaker special attackers. His Dragon weakness is easily covered by Cobalion and Escavalier, who already switch in easily. Good idea. I think I will replace Sharpedo.

Are you recommending I run an SD Escavalier? Or do you mean Cobalion? My Escavalier is CB.
this is why I think I'm dyslexic; I read your team multiple times and every time I saw Swords Dance in Escavalier's moveset. good job me...

basically after a swords dance Esca can OHKO bold 252/252 Suicune after SR or Spikes. If you use Pursuit a lot then SD isn't for you. Since you have a great booster already in Cobalion I don't feel like adding SD to Esca will get you a whole lot, but at least you've got the freedom to choose moves as well as the option of Leftovers for recovery or Occa Berry for not dying once. You can certainly try, but why mess with success? :P

Yeah, haha. I think I'll keep with CB. Rain Dance and SD Cobalion makes 1/3 of my team setup. I'd rather not change it to 1/2. Haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)