1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Eye of the Fire Storm (Peaked 165th)

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by jds24, Aug 30, 2011.

1. jds24

jds24

Eye of the Fire Storm

[​IMG]

Recently I got sick and tired of todays metagame, as well as the way I had been playing. Every team I'd face would be almost the exact same, varying 2 or 3 pokes at most. They were all weather teams. The best way to combat weather is with your own weather. I decided to change things up from my previous teams and make a sun team because it was the least used of weathers and therefore best for combatting them, as well as the least combatted. I didn't know much about sun teams so I read some RMTs of the more succesful sun teams, which lead me to create this team. This team has been about equally succesful as my other teams peaking at 165, a little less than average for me. Please feel free to post suggestions, that's really the reason I'm putting this out here. I'd really like to be able to get voting rights with this team, and I feel it's really close to being there. Changes will be in Bold Italics.

Team Building Process
    Show Hide

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After I read Katakiri's RMT with the intentions of making a sun team, I really wanted to use his Lilligant set. Ninetales was obviously included because this is a sun team and is obligatory. I decided to bring Snorlax along because of the great synergy it has with Lilligant, and I've never used it before and I wanted to try something new with this team.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I've always wanted to use Dragonite on a sun team. Having Dragon and Fire STABs makes it incredibly hard to stop. With his addition and this being a sun team, I desperately needed a spinner. I also wanted stealth rock support. Donphan fit the bill very well and has been doing great.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Lots of other mons we're tried in this spot, and frankly, I can't even remember what they were because they were all here for a very short time. Volcarona works great in this last spot, now that it has rapid spin support and is under the sun.

The Team

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In Depth Look

[​IMG]
    White Wolfos (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers [​IMG]
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 216 SAtk / 76 SDef / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    [​IMG] - Overheat
    [​IMG] - Will-O-Wisp
    [​IMG] - Hidden Power [Ground]
    [​IMG] - Protect

This set is meant to beat Tyranitar on the switch in. Will-O-Wisp makes Tyranitar almost no threat to Ninetales. Hidden Power [Ground] hits Heatran for a decent amount on the switch in. Ninetales really doesn't do much for this team aside from Drought. Really not much more to say other than I protect it as much as possible in a weather war, and when sun's up it takes on Excadrill just fine. If anyone knows of a way to make Ninetales more useful to the team please let me know. Overheat is being used over flamethrower because it nabs some important OHKO's such as Gliscor.

Synergy
    [​IMG] - Dragonite, Lilligant.
    [​IMG] - Donphan.
    [​IMG] - Lilligant, Dragonite.

[​IMG]
    Kalle Demos (Lilligant) (F) @ Life Orb [​IMG]
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 64 HP / 252 SAtk / 192 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    [​IMG] - Sleep Powder
    [​IMG] - Healing Wish
    [​IMG] - Leaf Storm
    [​IMG] - Hidden Power [Rock]

I don't even know where to start with Llligant. This team wouldn't function half as well without her. With Life Orb Lilligant reaches a special attack stat of 499 and can fire off extremely powerful Leaf Storms. Sleep Powder has saved me so many times to stop sweepers dead in their tracks. Under the sun Lilligant reaches 556 speed and can sleep most sweepers who have already set up. Hidden Power [Rock] has great coverage with Leaf Storm and can finish off many important 2HKOs even at -2 SpA. The most important move on this set though, is easily Healing Wish. The ability to give Volcarona or Dragonite another chance at sweepings is invaluable. Most of their sweeps are stopped by a status. After being bruised and battered, almost KO'd late in the game, Lilligant (who will also most likely be severly weakened) can sacrifice herself and get Dragonite or Volcarona back in the fight. Now late in the game, after already having stopped them once, the opponet now has to deal with it again. Lilligant is most likely the MVP of this team.

Synergy
    [​IMG] - Ninetails, Dragonite, Snorlax.
    [​IMG] - None.
    [​IMG] - Ninetails, Dragonite, Volcarona.
    [​IMG] - Ninetails, Volcarona, Snorlax.
    [​IMG] - None.

[​IMG]
    Biggoron (Snorlax) (M) @ Choice Band [​IMG]
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    [​IMG] - Return
    [​IMG] - Pursuit
    [​IMG] - Fire Punch
    [​IMG] - Superpower

After reading Katakiri's RMT, I really liked the Snorlax + Lilligant combo. The synergy this two share is amazing. Basicy everything that likes to switch in to Lilligant really does not want to deal with Snorlax. Snorlax's great special bulk tends to make special attacks switch out, allowing him to hit hard on the switch. With choice band his attack reaches a whopping 525. Return OHKO's any non-bulky mon that doesn't resist it. Pursuit traps Latios and Gengar and does a fair amount to Jellicent. Skarmory loves to switch in to Snorlax for some reason, and with some prediction I can OHKO with Fire Punch. This goes for Ferrothorn as well. Superpower was placed over Katakiri's set to deal with Blissey and Chansey, as well as the ability changed to Immunity to prevent it getting Toxic'd. Superpower also can hit Balloon Heatran on the switch in. Even with it though, Heatran is a huge thorn in this teams side. Snorlax really requires a lot of prediction to be effective. Later on, I decided to change Immunity to Thick Fat to help fend off Heatran, and add a needed Ice-Type special sponge to work in conjunction with Dragonite.

Synergy
    [​IMG] - Dragonite.

[​IMG]
    Valoo (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry [​IMG]
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
    [​IMG] - Dragon Dance
    [​IMG] - Outrage
    [​IMG] - Fire Punch
    [​IMG] - Roost

Does this thing look like it's on steriods? Well it should, because it is. Under the sun this monster doesn't have to worry about sandstorm breaking it's multi-scale, allowing him to run Lum Berry over Lefties. Having Rapid Spin support also helps to keep his Multi-Scale intact. With his increidble bulk and access to the moves Dragon Dance and Roost, he has a very easy time setting up on non-status inducing walls and offensive pokes. That is one of his biggest problems though, even with Lum Berry. Status is almost always the thing that stops him from sweeping entire teams. Under the sun, Fire Punch gets a STAB and offers amazing coverage with Outrage, being able to tear through steels. The only OU mon that walls him (type wise) is Heatran. Also, with Lilligant's Healing Wish, Dragonite can switch in (and as long as he's not KO'd by them) to Stealth Rocks and then have his Multi-Scale restored. Lately though he has been the most unproductive member of the team and most open for replacement.

Synergy
    [​IMG] - Donphan.
    [​IMG] - Ninetales, Volcarona, Snorlax.
    [​IMG] - None.

[​IMG]
    Dongorongo (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers [​IMG]
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk/ 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    [​IMG] - Stealth Rock
    [​IMG] - Rapid Spin
    [​IMG] - Ice Shard
    [​IMG] - Earthquake

Donphan is as equally important to holding this team together as Lilligant is, in a differnt way. Donphan controls the Stealth Rock game for my team. Thanks to Sturdy and his Ground typing, Donphan can more than reliably set up Stealth Rocks for my team. He has some trouble 2HKO Espeon on the switch in with EQ, so I am considering more attack EV's. The Rapid Spin support he provides for my team is invaluable, and I find it much harder to win when I mess up and don't let him do his job. Removing Stealth Rocks greatly improves Ninetails longevity and effectiveness at winning weather wars, keeps Dragonite's Multi-Scale intact, and prevents Volcarona from getting shafted by rocks. He also provides a much needed rock resistance for my team. Donphan is a very underrated mon and I'm glad I gave him a try.

Synergy
    [​IMG] - Dragonite, Lilligant.
    [​IMG] - Ninetales, Volcarona, Snorlax.
    [​IMG] - Ninetales, Lilligant, Volcarona, Dragonite.

[​IMG]
    Gohma (Volcarona) (M) @ Leftovers [​IMG]
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    [​IMG] - Morning Sun
    [​IMG] - Fiery Dance
    [​IMG] - Bug Buzz
    [​IMG] - Quiver Dance

The picture should pretty much sum it up. Volcarona is a complete monster under the sun and is a very, very potent early game sweeper if it can get enoughs boosts off. With my weather up, Morning Sun allows Volcarona to recover 2/3 of it's HP. If you've ever used a CM + Recover Reuniclus, this is basicly it, on steroids. It's two STABs don't offer the best of coverage. Under the sun, Fiery Dance is incredibly powerful and can power through most walls unless it's Heatran or Blissey. Once again, Heatran keeps rearing it's ugly head. I'm considering a bit more speed so that after one boost it can reach 372 speed, but that would at the same time make it harder to set up.

Synergy
    [​IMG] - Donphan.
    [​IMG] - Lilligant, Dragonite.
    [​IMG] - None.

Threats

You guessed it, Heatran. Even though I have 3 mons capable of taking on Heatran, it is a huge pain in this teams side and would really like some suggestions on how to deal with it. Aside from Heatran, Blissey and Chansey have been causing this team serious problems. Thanks to Natural Cure, I can't just sleep them with Lilligant like I do to walls that could cause me problems. Any suggestions that could help me deal with these two and my somewhat lacking type synergy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!
  2. Kaaizer

Kaaizer

I just played this exact team but without Dragonite, i got 4 calm minds with Reinculus and i 6-0ed.

after 3 calm minds 252 Satk Reinculus OHKO's your Snorlax who fails to OHKO back with Pursuit, although before that it is viable to 2HKO, but its unreliable.

I can only suggest a Choice Band Bisahrp

Show Hide

[​IMG]

Bisharp (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Defiant
    EVs: 152 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Def / 32 Spd
    - Sucker Punch
    - Brick Break
    - Pursuit
    - Iron Head

Sure, set seems odd, but this thing isn't that fragile, the 32 speed ev's are so you can outspeed Choice band 28 Speed Scizor and do some damage to it.
    Pursuit OHKO's every single Ghost and psychic Pokemon that is weak to it when they switch out, sucker punch is reliable stab priority.
  3. jds24

jds24

CM Reuniclus is hardley a threat to this team. Volcarona takes advantage of it even and beats it one on one while setting up. I'd rather not use a CB Bisharp to combat a non-threat. Trick Room variants can be very dangerous, but what team isn't threated by that set?

Also anyone who is using Snorlax to counter a boosted-Reuniclus shouldn't be using Pursuit (it's not going to switch out). Return can more than likely OHKO.
  4. Neroo

Neroo

Your team is good, the only thing I can suggest is overheat to flamethrower on ninetales.
  5. Aeromence

Aeromence

I'd use this over your current donphan, to wall excadrill who destroys you when ninetales is gone:

name: Defensive Rapid Spin
    move 1: Rapid Spin
    move 2: Stealth Rock
    move 3: Earthquake
    move 4: Roar / Ice Shard / Fire Fang / Superpower
    item: Leftovers
    nature: Impish
    evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def

Here's a set I always use on ninetales, and deals tons of damage:

Ninetales (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Flamethrower
    - Fire Blast
    - Energy Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ground] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Rock]

to deal with all of your threats, here's a good change from your current dragonite:

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Outrage
    - Brick Break / Earthquake
    - Fire Punch
    - ExtremeSpeed

GL
  6. muramusaw8

muramusaw8

I suggest using Thick Fat over Immunity on Snorlax; it helps when dealing with Heatran or Ice attacks aimed at Dragonite.
  7. Dezza Laa

Dezza Laa

A agree with the suggestions of physically defensive Donphan and Thick Fat Snorlax.

As mentioned you are extremely Excadrill weak, and rely on changing the weather to have even a chance against it. Physically Defensive gives you at least a hope against Excadrill as well as a much needed physical wall. Besides Ninetales and Snorlax are both running specially defensive sets.

Thick Fat Snorlax would help you against a Flame Charge Heatran, whom right now could sweep you clean with a set of Flame Charge/Fire Blast/Earth Power/Hidden Power Ice. The closest thing to a count you have is Snorlax and Sleep Powder on Lilligant. If he happens to get a Flash Fire boost it is pretty much GG. Thick Fat at least gives you a fighting chance as well as a reasonable check for special Fire moves (Quiver Dance Volcarona).
    The last thing I don't like is Snorlax's set. Superpower is really useless if all you're using for is Chansey/Blissey. Both wouldn't even dream of switching into Snorlax, and even if Snorlax is poisoned there is a reason Lillgant has Healing Wish. I reckon you ought to go back to Katakiri's set and just keep things simple.
  8. Eranu

Eranu

On a sun team i always run sunny day on my Ninetales. Incase you're facing another weather team you can predict him to switch in Politoed/TTar/Hippowdon and use sunny day. But that's just what I find usefull.
  9. jds24

jds24

I like the idea of Physically Defensive Donphan, but it will make it harder to get rocks out on some teams, but I will try it.

I like the idea of changing immunity to thick fat, although it will make the pink blobs more of a nuisence to this team. I don't like the idea of changing Snorlax's Superpower ---> Earthquake because it leaves me hopeless against Balloon Heatran, and further weakens me to Blissey and Chansey.

I've been having trouble fighting stall teams in general, so if I could get some advice on that it would be great.

I also somewhat like the idea of CB Dragonite, but passing up on being able to Roost Multi-Scale back into effect is going to be hard. I will try it though and change the set if it works better.

Thanks for the rates everyone, I will be posting some of the changes now.

EDIT: Tried Physicall Defensive Donphan and didn't like it AT ALL. The ability it has to spin and get rocks out for my team is severly, SEVERLY hindered by the unusable special defense, making it much harder for him to what I want him to, which is more important to the team the than walling excadrill. If I lose the weather battle I probably am going to lose anyways.
  10. Cloud 8

Cloud 8

Nic sun team. But I cant believe you dont have a dragon resist. I dont understand how you deal with Latios. As soon as it comes in on Ninetales or borken multi scale Dragonite youve lost a pokemon to a specs draco meteor. Id suggest Forretress over Donphan but the rock weakness wont be fun still better then having a dragon weakness but I might consider Excadrill. It may sound wierd on a sun team but it has pretty great bulk and can help you eliminate sandstorm teams that look like trouble if agains t smart opponent. I dont have anything other than that. Im just so lost on how you dont have a dragon resistance.
  11. jds24

jds24

I've never had a problem with Latios, or dragons in general for that matter. I don't know what, on paper it looks bad but when playing it's hardly a factor.

As far as latios goes, Snorlax handles it just fine and can pursuit trap, or I can use latios to set up Volcarona once it's at -2.

I've been completely failing with this team recently. I just can't win a battle right now. Dragonite seems to be adding nothing to this team and I am very open to replacing him. I would really like some suggestions. Heatran is still a huge problem and for some reason is now on every single team. I thought about adding Dugtrio, but there's no hope for that workings because I can't have two mono-ground types on the same team, and Air Balloon. That just wouldn't work.

I'd really like to add a fighting type over dragonite to add another Rock-Resist and help deal with Heatran, I just can't decide which mon too add.

Also contemplating changing Lilligant to Venasaur.
    As well as Salamence over Dragonite (DD, Outrage, Earthquake, Fire Blast is unstoppable and would help with Heatran). Or just changing up Dragonite. I don't know something that ends up with that coverage.
  12. bluemon

bluemon

choice band infernape
    close combat
    flare blitz
    mach punch
    thunderpunch/filler

flash fire arcanine
    close combat
    flare blitz
    wild charge
    extremespeed/morning sun

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)