XY NU The Facade isn't over! (Sticky Web)

Who is the best / your favorite user of Sticky Web in gen 6 NU?

• Total voters
The Facade isn't over!

Hey everyone! I' m an off again, on again NU player who got into NU in gen 5. With all the changes brought about in gen 6 the one thing I wanted to try out was Sticky Web, where in NU, almost all users end up. I have included my teambuilding so you can see my thought process.

Teambuilding:

Being a Sticky Web team I obviously needed a Web user. With many Web teams floating around, I wanted to differentiate this team from the others by choosing a Web user that I think deserves more credit, Masquerain. The advantages that Masquerain has over the other Web users is its nice special movepool, access to QuiverPass and a nice ability in Intimidate. But when choosing a web user the one thing that caught my eye was that Masquerain was the only Web user with reliable recovery in Roost. With Roost and Intimidate, Masquerain has noticeable staying power and can take all sorts of hits you wouldn't expect it to.

The downside to using Masquerain as something more than a suicide lead setter is the crippling Stealth Rock weakness. With Defog out of the question, it was clear that I needed a rapid spin user to get rid of pesky Rocks that will plague Masquerain throughout the match. With Cryogonal and Sandslash being the only decent spinners in the tier the choice was between them. Cryogonal has terrible synergy with Masquerain so the clear choice was Sandslash, who can take take strong rock attacks aimed at Masquerain throughout the match. Slash's Stealth Rock support could be very useful throughout the match as well.

Sandslash, however, couldn't take the ice and fire attacks aimed at Masquerain. From this point I decided to add Hariyama to the team as a special sponge, taking the ice and fire attacks which would otherwise dismantle the team. Hariyama's further resistance to rock is also very useful and synergetic with Masquerain, and fighting stab is always useful.

After looking through my team I noticed it was weak to flying spam and it had no strong special attackers. The only rock type I know with any specially offensive prowess in NU is Omastar, sitting at a nice 115 SpA and with typing I need to curb flying types. It also is a nice preventive measure to fire spam as well.

To be honest I just threw Swellow on here as speedy pokemon that can lategame clean exceptionally well. Whenever I add a Swellow to a team, he always serves me well and so far he had done just that.

And now I wanted a pokemon that can abuse Sticky Web, and after going through the NU tier list, I came to pokemon that has slipped under the limelight, Ursaring. In past teams I have used Zangoose as wallbreaker so Swellow can clean up, with Zangoose having the ability to deal with rock and steel types which otherwise hamper Swellow. I realized that Ursaring is just a beefed up Zangoose with more coverage options and lower speed. However with Sticky Web support Ursaring can wreak havoc on the metagame with just pure poke-crushing power.

Team:

Masquerain @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- U-turn
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Sticky Web

As the dedicated Sticky Web user of the team, he performs his job admirably. It is easy to come in on any physical attacker with subpar power and set up Webs. I don't usually lead with this set because many people think it is a suicide lead or a Quiverdance lead, so instead I counter pick and save the surprise factor of this Masquerain set for later on in the match. I've seen many times when a player will just attack thinking it is frail while I set up Webs and Roost off the damage. Rocky helmet helps in that regard for racking up extra damage on weak hits. U-turn is very useful throughout the match as it it can get in Swellow and Ursaring freely, as well as wrecking Shiftry, who cant really do anything to this set, bar Knock Off. U-turn also takes half of Cryogonal's Hp on an obvious switch to try and Rapid Spin or Ice Beam me. Air Slash is there so it isn't complete setup bait and mainly filler. It does, however give me an option to take care of physically defensive grass types, and Gurdurr, who otherwise is a nuisance to the team. In BW2 NU Gurdurr always ran Ice punch, but now-a-days it never runs it, so smooth sailing for Masquerain.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

It may seem like I stole Hollywood's set but I was running Sandslash before his RMT. It is the best Sandslash set in the meta right now however, and the only thing I did take was his EVs because outspeeding Sawk after Sticky Web is useful. Sandslash may not be spectacular every game but he always performs consistently every game. The Knock Off buff significantly helped Sandslash, as now he can actually take out the ghosts that are trying to spinblock him. Swellow and Ursaring also love the Rocks Slash dishes out, turning many 2HKOs into OHKOs and just helping the team in general. Sometimes I wish I had Stone Edge to deal with Scyther who is dangerous to this team, but alas, no room.

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Hariyama is like the glue for my team. Sometimes I think I am overly reliant on Hariyama to check different threats for me. He is however one of the best users of the Assualt Vest in NU and great answer to Cryogonal, who otherwise is very annoying to deal with. The special part of this Hariyama set is Heavy Slam which is a great way to deal with fairies who would otherwise have their way with Hariyama. I chose Heavy Slam after getting walked on by Slurpluff, and I believe Heavy Slam gets full damage on Slurpluff with Hariyama being the fatty that he is. It also does a good chunk of damage to Granbull on the switch and if I ever face a Carbink again he will get wrecked. Bullet punch is one my two priorities moves , and standard on Hariyama, but the uliity it provides is immense, especially with my lack of scarfer for revenge killing.

Omastar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 128 Hp / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam
-Toxic

Wanting an answer to flying spam, and fire spam, but also something with damage, I chose Omastar. Omastar is the only special attacker on my team so i decided to slap Specs on him just to make him hit even harder. This is the set, or pokemon, is the one I could use the most recommendations with, as I'm not sure how much speed to give him to outspeed certain threats in sticky web, or if he is even the best choice at all. He has performed well enough though for me to keep him and is great in punching holes in things for Swellow and Ursaring. Swift Swim is pretty much my only answer other than Webs to Rain Dance teams but fortunately they aren't very common on the ladder. I have tried Hidden Power Fire to nail Ferroseed, who is annoying af to this team but without Hidden Power Grass Omastar gets walled to hell and back by water types. If only he got some sort of grass move like Energy Ball, sigh. Toxic may seem weird, and it is a shit move to get locked into, but I haven't really found a good use for Earth Power, and Toxic is nice to hit special walls on the switch. If someone can give me a good reason to run Earth Power I will change this.

Swellow @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Facade
- U-turn
- Quick Attack

Ahh Swellow. One of my favorite pokemon in Gen 5 NU and still one of my favorites to date. With the right support he can demolish teams with his speed and power. I always come back to Swellow because of that beautiful speed tier. Masquerain can get Swellow in for free with a slow U-Turn and with its Sticky Web support, he can clean house with even Choice Scarf users falling due to his superior speed. Nothing over 110 base speed ever uses a scarf so its too easy for Swellow. To deal with rock and steel types that wall Swellow I use Omastar or Ursaring, who makes a great normal spam core with Swellow. This normal spam core is where I got the the name for the team, with each of them using Facade to its full potential. I have been testing Adamant Swellow recently to see if the power it provides is worth the trade off and while the boosted Quick Attacks are nice I think Jolly is overall better when the Web isn't up, which can happen due to a premature death of Masquerain. On the topic of Quick Attack it is soooo useful in dealing with obvious Sucker Punches and creates so many mind games.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Crunch
- Close Combat
- Seed Bomb

Rounding off my normal spam core is none other than Ursaring. While Quick Feet Ursaring is probably more useful in other teams, I couldn't pass up the pure power that Guts provides for the bear as speed issues are covered by Sticky Web. Looking at Ursaring's movepool, its coverage options are gigantic and throughout its movepool it has the ability to 2HKO the entire metagame. Facade and Close Combat are pretty standard with Close Combat taking out rocks and steels plaguing Swellow. Seed Bomb is my way of taking out rock, ground, and water dual types with one swift hit, who would otherwise be able to tank a Close Combat and retaliate. Honestly I would much prefer Play Rough over Crunch to deal with Spiritomb, who otherwise is damn annoying, but there are way too many compatibility issues with Play Rough and my other moves to make it worth it. Crunch is good enough to do some damage to Spiritomb and nailing and ghost types who can switch into Facade and Close Combat. I have experimented with Substitute instead of Crunch to deal with Sucker Punches, but Toxic Orb and Substitute are not a good combo. :(

Summary / Threatlist:

There you have it my gen 6 NU normal spam Sticky Web team! One pokemon that gives me trouble is bulky SD Scyther who can come in on Hariyama, Sandslash, Masquerain and Omastar locked into a resisted move, and I dont have anything to outspeed it except Swellow. Spirtomb is also a giant nuisance and I usually have to rely on brute force to deal with it. I also recently noticed that I have no water resists, and that is probably my biggest problem at the moment as only Hariyama can take a special water attack comfortably, and not even that comfortably to boot. This water issue I usually can play around though, and I haven't got any good ideas to help it. I also have no spinblockers prevent Webs from going down or some sort of Defiant user to counter Defog. This would normally be a much bigger issue for a Sticky Web team with a suicide lead, because the Web is only going down once, and then they are dead. For me, I can deal with it slightly better with offensive pressure and Masquerain's longer presence during the match. I haven't done much laddering with the final version of the team, but did peak somewhere the 1500s while still working on it. This is my first real RMT and I would appreciate any recommendations and advice as I put a lot of work into the team and RMT. Please read, rate, and enjoy! As a sidenote, my PS name is Dr. Trollton. I used it as an alt to troll in gen V, but I used it so much it became my main. lel.

Importable:

http://pastebin.com/tKxqkvMK

Last edited:
i'm not really convinced about using a slow sticky web user that tries to stay throughout the duration of a match. using sticky web means opting for a hyper offense style so it really helps to use it quickly and without much hindrance. it seems nice to try to have your sticky web user available as much as possible in case the opponent removes it, but on the other hand it becomes much easier to pressure masquerain and you're meant to pressure the opponent to help keep sticky web up anyway (and if not then at least keep overall momentum). it'd probably be best to use leavanny over masquerain because it's faster as to avoid taunt or strong hits before sticky web is used, magic coat and leaf storm can help you deter hazards, and shadow claw can at least threaten xatu

to help you keep sticky web up and to give you a proper water-type resistance, specially-based samurott can help over omastar. hydro pump / ice beam / grass knot / taunt gives you the power, coverage, and prevention against defog users in one set. i also don't think sandslash is particularly necessary unless you really feel that swellow needs that extra support, but i think rhydon is better for the extra power and bulk alongside a solid flying-type resistance (to make up for removing omastar) considering how opposing swellow and similar pokemon are immune to sticky web

Hi there, this is a team with a surprising bit of potential. I do feel that a lot of your pokemon have far better uses, but I think that you've put together a relativly solid team. Many of the individual sets can be improved though, and I do feel that Hariyama doesn't pack enough offensive presence as is to fully take advantage of the web that you wish to put up, which is something you should always have in mind. I also feel that you have very little special presence, as Masquerain is pretty weak and the moment Omastar goes down stronger physical walls can just be annoying.

I would consider running Life Orb / Specs Mesprit over Hariyama. Honestly, with 2 Guts users, you want as many setup opportunities as possible, and Mesprit's ability to a) break down physical walls for them and b) pass them as healing wish for a second sweep gives you an invaluable amount of support, making it highly valuable on your team. As I said, your lack off specially offensive presence worries me, and Mesprit can give many of your pokemon a new lease on life, breaks down many of the tiers best physical walls with ease, therefore becoming incredibly useful as a utility mon for such as team.

Minor Changes:
Masquerain: Simply put I don't think this is efficient whatsoever. Bulky masquerain's problem is its common weaknesses and poor bulk, meaning that it really can't come in on anything bar a fighting type, and will oftentimes be hindered from getting its web up. Even with its defensive investment, most fighting types it wants to "check" outspeed and pack Ice or Rock moves, while the grass types it often wishes to come in on pack similar coverage. Instead, you should run an offensive Sash lead to pick up the momentum and break the opponent down first turn for your other sweepers and help put down pressure with Sticky Web | Quiver Dance | Bug Buzz or Air Slash | Hydro Pump or Baton Pass. Use the obvious 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd Timid. It helps to punish opponents from turn one to start applying offensive pressure and with great Bug / Water coverage can even sweep, while with BP it can pass to Mesprit or Omastar for their own sweeps.
Omastar: I honestly feel that Shell Smash is too good to pass up, especially on a team like yours, and for that reason I would consider Shell Smash > Toxic with Life Orb or Lum Berry > Choice Specs, simply because you give it really good support and I hate to see it go to waste.
Swellow + Ursaring : 4 Def > 4 HP minimizes Stealth Rock and Toxic Damage, and is essential to any pokemon that is living on a timer of residual damage. This is a newcomers mistake and should always be looked for before posting or using a team.

Mesprit @ Life Orb / Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Energy Ball / Trick
- Dazzling Gleam
- Healing Wish

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
hey thatoneguy15,

i agree w/ ium that i don't think you need a web setter to stick around. i don't have any personal experience with leavanny, but i am fond of kricketune, which can use taunt to potentially keep SR away and block defog, which are fantastic applications. it can also use endeavor later in the game once web has been set, giving it actual use after early game beyond resetting web, something most web setters struggle to do. i also will back the suggestion of using special samurott > omastar.

additionally, you really struggle breaking through more heavily defensive pokemon, especially against something like weezing or qwilfish. omastar is currently your only option here, and being locked into one move sort of sucks when your team doesn't truly have the ability to easily handle dangerous pokemon that could capitalize on omastar being locked in, like say feraligatr coming in on an ice beam. hariyama / ursaring / swellow all handle similar pokemon and struggle with bulky physdef mons, and i think replacing one of them could really benefit your team and make more matchups winnable. i am inclined to suggest that replacing ursaring for a different wallbreaker would be your best bet - perhaps you could even use brawlfest's mesprit in this slot (it also gives you a firmer answer to gurdurr, who is a sneaky pain in the butt for this team when played well).

---

kricketune @ focus sash
jolly nature, 252 atk / 252 spe
ability doesn't matter
- sticky web
- taunt
- endeavor
- knock off

you can use x-scissor (and swarm) > knock off if you want, but i've always preferred knock off because it hits ghosts (immune to endeavor) and is generally more useful.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I like just about all of the suggestions made, but (regarding Zeb's rate) I think Swellow is a much more replaceable member than Ursaring. It seems like a rather weak link on your team because it's free setup bait for a lot of dangerous sweepers like Barbaracle and Omastar that can pretty much clean your whole team after a boost (augmented by your lack of revenge killing tools). I think you would be better off replacing Swellow and making Ursaring a Quick Feet set with SD | Façade | Close Combat | Crunch. Ursaring's better coverage allows you to apply much greater pressure to Rock- and Steel-types, and Jolly Quick Feet Ursaring still outspeeds everything up to Scarf Pyroar after Webs (which is all you really need). You could also use Play Rough > Crunch to lure Spiritomb if you want, though it makes you more reliant on SD to kill other Ghosts like Mismagius and Rotom. As for what exactly to replace Swellow with, I'm not sure if Mesprit is the best idea since it only makes you weaker to Tomb and other Dark-types which you kind of lack reliable answers to. I'd probably experiment with things like Will-O-Wisp Rotom-F since it can burn Spiritomb and still serve as an additional way to pressure physical walls with STAB BoltBeam coverage.

Other than that, I agree with ium's changes regarding Rhydon + Samurott and changing Masquerain to a more optimal Web setter like Leavanny or Kricketune since they definitely help with a lot of general threats to your team.

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Façade
- Close Combat
- Crunch / Play Rough

Rotom-F could potentially use a moveset of Volt Switch | Blizzard | (Thunderbolt or HP Grass) | Will-O-Wisp @ Expert Belt or a ChestoResto set with Rest in the third slot

Thank you all for all the rates! After testing all of these suggestions I've found that while Leavanny's Magic coat is nice, I really like how Kricketune works with Taunt and Endeavor, so I have changed Masquerain to Kricketune. With Rhydon covering Omastar's old job of checking flyings types,(although I do miss the shell smash sweeping) I've found special Samurott to work very nicely in his place. I especially like the freedom in his last moveslot and item, where I can go something like lum taunt, splash plate aqua jet, or even copycat. I haven't got the chance to try Rotom-F over Swellow, but I like the idea because I've been lacking a strong electric type and some sort of answer to Spiritomb. While I really like Mesprit, it just made me even more weak to Spiritomb, who was already a nuissance. I haven't got to try the Ursaring set but, it seems fine. I will edit the op later as I dont have the time at the moment, once again thanks all of you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)