1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Fallacy of Euphemisms

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Orwell, Jul 9, 2007.

1. daksunt

daksunt

Well I think that in the end you curse that person. Matters for me but in general people are not much effected from euphemised(i dont think there is a word like this just made up lol) words. Whether it mentions about the same word, people are differently effected, euphemism somehow doesnt iritate people as curses would. Thats why I dont consider it being unethical.
  2. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

This thread reminds me of that orbit gum commercial advertising if you have a dirty mouth to clean it up by chewing the gum. Obviously you can't say a bunch of swear words on TV so they use a crapload of euphemisms.

"Who are you calling a cootie queen, you lint licker!?"

I don't really use euphemisms ever and kind of like chaos said earlier I have different "modes" of speaking. If I'm around family or teachers or something I'm very controlled but if I'm around friends I have quite the potty mouth!
  3. dishwasher

dishwasher

i said a bad word and then daddy hit mommy at the dinner table

"bad words" are no different than "good words"
  4. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)