1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Fallacy of Euphemisms

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Orwell, Jul 9, 2007.

1. daksunt

daksunt

Well I think that in the end you curse that person. Matters for me but in general people are not much effected from euphemised(i dont think there is a word like this just made up lol) words. Whether it mentions about the same word, people are differently effected, euphemism somehow doesnt iritate people as curses would. Thats why I dont consider it being unethical.
  2. Carl

Carl or Varl
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

This thread reminds me of that orbit gum commercial advertising if you have a dirty mouth to clean it up by chewing the gum. Obviously you can't say a bunch of swear words on TV so they use a crapload of euphemisms.

"Who are you calling a cootie queen, you lint licker!?"

I don't really use euphemisms ever and kind of like chaos said earlier I have different "modes" of speaking. If I'm around family or teachers or something I'm very controlled but if I'm around friends I have quite the potty mouth!
  3. dishwasher

dishwasher

i said a bad word and then daddy hit mommy at the dinner table

"bad words" are no different than "good words"
  4. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)