ORAS OU The Fantasy Team (M-Charizard X Stall)

Introduction

Let me narrate you a story. A long time ago, a which casted a spell on a legendary kingdom. Thereby, the king refered to a worthy knight to save his country. With the help of a mysterious fairy and a magical sword, the valiant warrior went to fight the legendary dragon, to put a stop to the curse...

Teambuilding Process

I Wanted to build around Doublade, which is a great check to M-Gardevoir, M-Heracross or M-Medicham, those three pokemon are usually big threats for classical stall teams.

Pokemons like Bisharp or crawdaunt are big threats for doublade, especially because of knock off. Chesnaugt is really good to counter pokemon like these. Also it can set spikes, and leech seeds, that is a great thing for the staying power of each pokemon which can benefit.

I needed a cleric to heal thoes 2 pokemon, and clefable was the best choice. Wish passer and heal beller, clefable has also unaware, and so deals with pokemon like Manaphy and Serperior for exemple.

I had to have a roc setter. Also I had some problem with talonflame. Empoleon can play many role, outside its rock setter role, it's also a good phazer, thanks to roar. It can check many talonflame sets, and makes a water/grass core with Chesnaught, that why I chose it.

Well, I have a water/grass core. Now I need a fire pokemon. For a long time I wanted to play bulky will-o-wisp Charizard-X, so I chose this dragon. It can absorb many Knock off, is a good lure for many pokemo like Azumarill and Landoru-T, and can deal with many threats like Charizard-Y, Victini or M-Scizor.

Finally, that was important to have a pokemon which can defog. Mandibuzz was a good pokemon for the team, thans to its ability to stallbreak others stall with taunt, and its possibility to deals with gengar and M-Charizard X.

The Team

The Sword (Doublade) @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Pursuit / Sacred Sword
- Rest

This set is a classical set for doublade. Iron head is a good stab which doesn't suffer from the lack of PP unlike Gyroball, Toxic allow it to cripples pokemon like Hippowdon, Pursuit is a strong move that permits to trap Gardevoir or Latios and latias for exemple, but Sacred Sword can be a good option to avoid others pursuit trappers like Tyranitar and Bisharp. Finally, Rest is the only recovery it has.

The Knight (Chesnaught) (M) @ Leftovers / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer / Spiky Shield

Here, we have also a classical set for the pokemon. I personally prefer the leftovers for the staying power but the RH is a good option for punishing U-Turn abusers. Leech Seed and Draing punch are its only recovery; leech seed can benefit all the team, and drain punch makes many damages to pokemon like bisharp, weavile or chansey. Spikes punishes the switches from the opponent, and finally Wood Hammer is a strong stab which allow it to kill many bulky water type like Keldeo and Azumarill. Spiky Shield is an other option to recover more HP and check the enemy moves.

The Fairy (Clefable) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Clefable is the cleric of the team. So, it has the moves Wish + Protect, whichs allow it to recover itself and the other pokemons of the team, and Heal Bell to cure the statues which can really become annoying. Moonblast is a classical stab to hit dragon, dark and fighting types. I chose a Specially Defensife clefable to have a better answer against Serperior, Starmie or Manaphy.

The King (Empoleon) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Scald has 30% chance to burn the opponent, that's one of the greatest move of the game and so Empoleon had to got it. Another great move is Stealth Rock, which is an obligation in all the team to avoid too many switches from the opponent. Knock off obtained an excellent buff since XY, it permits here to cripples pokemon like chansey, Lati@s or many others pokemon which need their item. Yup, Empoleon has the best moves of the game, he's the king after all. Finaly, Roar is here to phazes and avoid the set up sweepers.

The Dragon (Charizard) (M) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Def / 160 Spe
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Earthquake

Charizard is a really versatile pokemon. Thanks to Will-o-wisp, it cripples / lure many pokemon like landorus-T and Azumarill. Flare Blitz stays a strong Stab attack, even if there is no investment in attk. It allow M-Charizard to hit M-Sableye and Clefable. Roos is the recovery and Earthquake is here for heatran, which can be really annoying for the team. The 160 EV in speed is for outspide M-Scizor and Bisharp.

The Witch (Mandibuzz) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Defog

Mismagius Mandibuzz was the perfect pokemon to be the witch of the story. In fact, it deals with many threats like Gengar and Charizard X thanks to its repart. Foul Play is a great move using the stat of the opponent, that offers a good way to beat BD Azumarill. Defog is and obligation for my team because of all the switches which are needed during a game. Taunt is really usefull to avoid a pokemon like landorus or excadrill puts the rock.

Conclusion

This team is a really cool team. Based on the Heroic Fantasy theme, it's viable in OU, and a "fun" stall team (Stall team will never be fun) which is not using the usual M-Sableye, Quagsire or Chansey. Have fun !

http://pastebin.com/pM40gYfk

Interesting team but atm it has a lot of threats to it,keldeo landorus weavile and the synergy of the hazard stack defog isn't very either.

Hazard stack+defog,i dont really like the idea of having hazard stack and defog together it kind of defeats the purpose of hazard stack because to get rid of your hazards you in return get rid of your opponent's hazards which is not really good when using hazard stack personally i would just change your empoleon to a defensive starmie which also helps your keldeo matchup a lot better,a s for your mandibuzz i would change it to a defensive skarmory so you can take on threats like weavile excadrill ect a lot better.

Weakness to physical set up pokemon,sadly idk if your able to fix both your hazard stack priblem and this problem at the same time,theres not enough room to switch quagsire for anything unfortunately so just keep in mind to play smartly vs physical set up pokemon i guess you can trad out skarmory for a yache berry landorus or something but still bisharp is still a huge threat.

Thats all for the rmt i hope i helped and if you have any questions reply :))) .

Good job with this one, it looks like a decent team but just beware of Landot who, according to smogons official data miner, will appear on 28% of teams built in OU. Your only option v Landot is chesnaught who, admittedly handles him pretty well, a true counter. Just be carefull with chestnaught seeing as Landot will 5-0 your team without it X4 scald by empolion does around 75% then gets OHKOed by x1 earthquake. In conclusion your team is threatened by Landot and X physical sweeper, basically what RPZY said only slower with calcs

Last edited:
Just as previously mentioned, your team is very prone to water spam and hard hitting physical sweepers. Additionally, with only 1/2 of your team with solid recovery, your team can be worn down easily. Also, 2 very weak rock Pokemon (Charizard and Mandibuzz) with the combination of spike stacking and Defog is a horrible idea. Also I want to add that your team is VERY weak to Volt-Turn Hyper offense as you have no good stop to Volt Switchers and not a good punishment to U-turn users (Rocky Helmet Chesnaught can be worn down super easily). Finally, your team is very weak to opposing stall as you lack Mega Sableye or a Stallbreaker. As such, I recommend the following:

Physically Defensive Skarmory > Chesnaught, Skarmory is not only a much more reliable spike-setter, but it also has solid recovery and is a very good check to most physical attackers in the tier including Bisharp and Weavile. In fact, the combination of Skarmory + Doublade walls the entire OU meta except Zard X and Victini. On the other hand, Skarmory deals with 2 Pokemon that chesnaught can really struggle with, Sand Rush SD Excadrill and SD Lando-T. In general, sand teams can really put a dent in your team and having Skarmory can be a really good help.

SpD Excadrill > Empoleon
, Excadrill is a much better rocks setter because not only does it check Clefable better (thanks to Iron Head), but it can also set up on Mega Sableye, something Empoleon can't do unless it gets an early burn. Excadrill also has really good synergy with your team as it can provide a soft stop to electric types and VoltTurn. It can also provide effective rapid spin support.

Stallbraeker Talonflame > Charizard
, This may sound a bit crazy, but your team really lacks a stallbreaker. At the same, Talonflame roughly does the same thing Wisp Zard X does, but also has the advantage of both priority recovery and attacks, and also helps you break bulky builds with Taunts. With no item, it can also be a nice check to both Weavile and Bisharp with rocks out of the field.

Mega Latias or Mega Venusaur > Mandibuzz
, Finally, with Zard X out of the field, you need a mega, and both Mega Latias and Mega Venusaur can replace Mandibuzz (since Exca takes care of the spin) and are much more effective than Zard X. Both of them are very effective checks against water spam and can completely stop almost every single Keldeo. Mega Venusaur also stops Azumarill. Both of them also give a nice resistance to Electric types which your team also needs.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Spikes
- Brave Bird / Counter
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rocks

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Bulk Up / Will-o-Wisp
- Roost
- Acrobatics

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Calm Mind / Roar / Thunder Wave

OR

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 144 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder / Knock Off / Hidden Power [Fire] / Leech Seed

Thanks a lot for your advice, even if the team totaly changed ^^
I have a question, now without Mandibuzz, is the team not weak to Charizard X or taunt gengar ?

ok, i'll try that, thanks.
To be honest, that was originally a fun team, that was because i founded it worked pretty well I have posted the thread.

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like your team. I have always liked bulky Mega Charizard X. I will try to help you improve your team without changing much.

Some changes I feel that would improve your team:

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Your team has no win-condition. That's a flaw some stall teams have. This spread allows you to take on Manaphy while switching into set-up physical sweepers better.

Skarmory > Chesnaught

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog / Whirlwind
- Counter
- Spikes / Whirlwind

Skarmory is way more viable in OU than Chesnaught. You can also say it outclasses Chesnaught as a spikes setter.

I recommend using Defog on Skarmory because Mandibuzz is weak to Stealth Rock and that's pretty annoying you have to rely on a Stealth Rock weak Pokémon to remove Stealth Rock. I recommend using Toxic > Defog on Mandibuzz if you decide to run Defog Skarmory.

Empoleon and Doublade are your only ways to deal with Mega Gardevoir. I really recommend you sticking with Pursuit on Doublade, Sacred Sword is really weak. It also benefits your team by handling Lati@s.

That's what I could think of by far.

I personally think there is one huge and easy improvement that you can make for the team:
Seismitoad>Empoleon

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

It is a bit weaker stat wise. However, it fits your team much more since it has a 2 superb immunities that e.g. completely trap/wall Rotom-W, offer a okayish way to deal with keldeo and being able to beat Lando-T. Thats just naming a few things it actually does. In addition to that you just lose a phazer cuz you will use scald, knock off and SR for sure. The last move can be EQ, Toxic or if you are feeling like it Gastro Acid (ik it seems wierd but it catches ppl off guard and shuts down some sets on its own),if you use Gastro iirc it does hit steel types so keep that in mind =P. Everything else I could think of was already said earlier. You could also gain a phazer if you would change Mandi to Skarmory set above me. I would totally recommend trying it out at least since imho Sesmitoad is one of the most fun and most underrated pokemon in the tier right now =P

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)