1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

~~The Floww~~

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by ABfloww, Apr 6, 2013.

1. ABfloww

ABfloww

Quite a Unique Sun team

Intro

Whats up guys, this time ive got an OU team that ive made. tried a sun team this time, and ive been doing fairly well with it so far. But by no means is it perfect, and this is where i need your help. POST ANYTHING and EVERYTHING haha, i just want some feedback :)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The team and its purpose

[​IMG]
    NINETALES

Well obviously for a sun team, you will need Ninetales as a weather starter, ive decided to run a more specially defensive one. here is the set:

Ninetales @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 SDef / 200 HP / 56 Def
    Calm Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Confuse Ray

This might or might not be an unorthodox set, but it has been working for me. Obviously the standard flamethrower as an attacking option, then ive got the Sub to dodge status and whatever. Toxic to get residual damage, and confuse ray to do it job as well.

SKARMORY

Next, Skarmory. My go to defensive pokemon, takes hits quite well as we all know and i feel it has really good synergy with the rest of the team. One thing that was hard choosing here was, either having a phasing move such as whirlwind, or opting for the spikes as an additional entry hazard.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 200 SDef / 200 Def / 108 HP
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock

The standard brave bird, and roost along with Rocks and spikes. What do you guys think about the EV spread? i just didnt want it to be completely hopeless against special hits.

[​IMG]

BRELOOM

Now to Breloom, a really nice addition to this team! why? it really helps me out with the other weather starters in this meta like Tyranitar and Politoed. having mach punch which is 4x effective against Tyranitar which i think is an OHKO on the standard set. And abviously bullet seed which should be able to easily take out Politoed. Also the standard Spore and SD to deal extra damage.

Breloom @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Spore

[​IMG]

SALAMENCE

Salamence, my revenge killer and my scarfer. Its really nice when i need to come in on something that isnt faster and be able to take it out along with getting that moxie boost. And we all know how powerful Moxie Mence can be! what are your thoughts on the set? and the Nature? Should i choose that extra speed over the power?

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Moxie
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Crunch

[​IMG]

HEATRAN

Now to my first special attacker, with a really unique set, but it really does work and catches people off-guard! My Heatran.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Magma Storm
    - SolarBeam
    - Sunny Day

Ive opted for the air baloon, as i find that i have that extra freedom and also the ability to take an extra hit and knock out the other pokemon, example Mamoswine. Avoiding the EQ, and retaliating with a Solarbeam.

The moveset that im running? i learn't from someone else. Against Defensive Politoed's this really works out. The thing is that Magma storm traps the opponent and it cant switch out. So Hence i trap politoed, go for the sunny day and then knock it out with solar beam. And no this set isnt stupid, as heatran is able to survives a few scald's from Politoed in the sun.

[​IMG]

VENUSAUR

Now for my second Special attacker, and guess what it is? lol. No Sun team is complete without a Venusaur! the fastest thing on my team and with a single growth, It really is ridiculously hard to stop in the sun. I've opted to to go for the Black sludge instead of life orb as i felt that it is already very strong and hits hard, so its nice to get that little bit of recovery every turn.

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    Modest Nature
    - Growth
    - Sludge Bomb
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

So, as you can see, I've got Growth and 3 attacking moves. Ive left out sleep powder here as there is no need for it and also breloom has that sleep inducing move. (sleep clause)
    Again, what are your thoughts on the set, and EV spread?

well, thats it for my team. Please do post any feedback you have, good or bad! hope ya'll enjoyed this post, If you did and you wanna use the team, make sure to leave that Luvdisk <3

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Importable:
    Show Hide
    Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Crunch

Breloom @ Life Orb
    Trait: Technician
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Bullet Seed
    - Mach Punch
    - Spore

Ninetales @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 SDef / 200 HP / 56 Def
    Calm Nature
    - Flamethrower
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Confuse Ray

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
    Modest Nature
    - Growth
    - Sludge Bomb
    - SolarBeam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Modest Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Magma Storm
    - SolarBeam
    - Sunny Day

Skarmory @ Leftovers
    EVs: 200 SDef / 200 Def / 108 HP
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock

2. fire r a g e

fire r a g e

I will just make a few nitpicks.
    On Salamence, run Fire Blast over Crunch and change nature to Naive. Fire Blast allows it to not totally be walled by Ferrothorn and Bronzong. Always run a +Spe nature so he doesn't lose the speed tie with other Base 100 Speed Pokemon. Allocate the 4 EVs to SpA as well.

On Venusaur, always run Giga Drain over Solarbeam as otherwise it will die more quickly due to LO recoil. 188 Speed EVs is all you need to outrun relevant threats like CS Latios. Put the remaining EVs to HP for some bulk. Run Timid over Modest so it does outspeed Latios in sun.

On Ninetales, I would honestly just run the standard smogon set. Without the Def EVs, you are easily OHKOed by Sash Dugtrio, allowing the other side to win the weather war. Also, the 136 Spe EVs allows you to Will O Wisp Toxicroak and Haxorus before they can attack you. However, if you really want to keep her Sp Defensive, run 252 HP/120 SpD/136 Spe and a Timid Nature.

I hope I helped. :)
  3. ABfloww

ABfloww

I do not have a life orb on my Venusaur, ive used black sludge haha.

But thanks for your comments, i will take them into consideration :)
  4. The Unlucky one

The Unlucky one

Hey Ab :) Glad all you guys are getting on smogon now. Sun teams are always cool so I have a decent chunk of stuff to say about this. My problem with this team in particular is that some pokemon really don't feel neccessary nor do they do anything contributive when it comes to offensive synergy. For example, Breloom might seem like a decent option to your team since Sun teams have a good matchup vs Celebi. However, your team really ends up getting wrecked by Latias due to the very tight team space sun has. The only time i would ever use breloom in sun is when Volcarona or something along the likes is backing it up. So what we can do here is that we can put a solid mon vs Latias and something that helps vs Mamoswine to let your Breloom do more damage while still being a strong Cleaner. This is what leads me to decide on an underrated asset to sun teams; Choice Scarf Heracross. Salamence --> CS Heracross(Not specs, derp) would benefit you greatly and is something that partners well vs most sun checks. It also resists EQ and is faster than Mamo so it helps vs Mamo which may be a slight issue.

Moving on, we can also see that you have absolutely no reliable answer to Dragonite and some other dragons and doing damage back to them. You also are slightly hard-pressed dealing with Heatran. I actually think your team would benefit more from another Venusaur set. Rather than using Sludge Bomb/SolarBeam/HP Fire for coverage, you can opt for Giga Drain/EQ/HP Ice. This is very good as pretty much every single member of your team can deal with the threats that wall the thing and makes Venusaur a lot more efficient in cleaning up since the remaining threats left when Venu is around are probably going to be Pokemon it can deal with.

Now I'll go for some optional changes. Skarmory is rather momentum disrupting and a more offensive Stealth Rocker would work. You also need good ways to pivot in to some threats, this may seem that a pokemon such as Landorus-Therian may help over Skarmory However, this will deprive your team of a Dragon-resist so HP ice on Venusaur will be absolutely necessary and Heatran must forego Earth Power with HP Ice

Also, there are a lot of nitpicks with the sets that you need to fix, all the proper sets will be below as well as the new mons/sets you should replace. NOTE: This is not the whole team you can still keep some changes and stuff but the below are all references to understand the sets im talking about.

Sets (open)

[​IMG]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 244 HP / 64 Atk / 200 Def
    Adamant Nature
    - U-turn
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

[​IMG]

Venusaur @ Life Orb
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain
    - Earthquake

[​IMG]

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    - Megahorn
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - Night Slash

[​IMG]

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
    Lonely Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast
    - Dragon Claw

[​IMG]

Ninetales (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 240 HP / 168 SDef / 100 Spd
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Flamethrower
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Roar
    - Pain Split
    (Specially Defensive set that has enough speed to outspeed Mamo and Burn)

I never run SpD Skarm i'm not sure about the spread, someone else would know better.

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Timid Nature
    - Earth Power
    - Magma Storm
    - SolarBeam
    - Sunny Day
  5. Alter

Alter let me down easy
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Hey there Abfloww!

Props for using Sun - a really great weather which can unleash ridiculous power. I do, however, have a few suggestions for your team to help you improve. Let's get straight into it then! First up, I think you should swap out your Ninetales set for a different set. To be honest, there's little Ninetales can achieve using Substitute and Confuse Ray which would much better be filled with more utility moves. First of all, I'd use Sunny Day -> Substitute on Ninetales. While relatively common now, it is a great change that helps you win the weather war. Not only can it bring back your own weather when things are going poorly, it will cause your opponent's weather inducer to do a lot more switching and take damage from Skarmory's spikes. Next up, I suggest you swap out Confuse Ray for Will-o-Wisp. Currently, opponents can simply switch out from a potential 50% chance of missing a turn, but Will-o-Wisp is a far more useful, near-permanent status ailment that can potentially lock physical attackers down for the rest of the game. Furthermore, it also can deal 12% up to enemies as residual damage. For this reason, I think you should swap Toxic out for Roar or Pain Split, as not to have two status ailment moves. Pain Split can help Ninetales restore health and harm opponents such as Blissey and Chansey, making sure that Ninetales is healthy for a weather war. Finally, I suggest you change to an EV spread of 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe. I use this spread on my Ninetales is patch up its poor physical defense and outrun 252+ Spe Politoed so you can set up Sunny Day if need be. Otherwise, you could sit for a more simple set of 252 HP / 252 Def / SDef.

I understand your reasoning for not using Whirlwind on Ninetales; however, if you are not to take my suggestion of Roar on Ninetales, I believe you should definitely invest in a using Whirlwind on Skarmory. This would most likely go over Spikes since it offers more utility in blowing away set up sweepers. Furthermore, I also highly suggest you change to a more standard EV spread of 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD, as suggested by the site. Skarmory has little busines investing in its special defense as it already has plenty of pressure placed on it in this team to stop dragons from knocking you to the ground.

Your Breloom set looks good but I'd consider trying out a Fighting Gem over a Life Orb to help revenge kill Terrakion with Mach Punch, which could be a large threat to your team. This is completely optional change.

As for your scarf Salamence set, I offer you to try Fire Blast over Crunch to hit steel types such as Ferrothorn, Forretress and Skarmory for high damage as well as hitting Scizor on the switch. Fire Blast is not only boosted by the sun but provides perfect coverage alongside Earthquake and Dragon moves. Crunch does little in assisting perfect coverage as it is also resisted by Steel-types. Along side this, you should use a Naive nature (+Spe, -SpDef) for two main reasons. First of all, it allows you to outspeed other base 100 scarfers without a +Spe nature, while not putting down your special defense and because when late game sweeping, Salamence can already gain enough Attack through Moxie while Speed should be as high as possible.

Last (but certainly not least), I suggest changing your Venusaur set to the one I will attach at the end of the post, with Giga Drain over Solarbeam and a Timid nature over a Modest nature. I myself use a Timid nature to outspeed Scarf Terrakion among other Pokemon, although this is entirely optional. Finally you should use a Life Orb over Black Sludge in order to deal more damage and because with Giga Drain, the recoil is practically non-existent.

Here are the sets:
    Sets (open)
    [​IMG]
    Ninetales @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Spd / 240 Def
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Flamethrower
    - Sunny Day
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Roar

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @ Leftovers
    EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes / Whirlwind

[​IMG]
    Salamence @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Satk
    Naive Nature
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

[​IMG]
    Venusaur @ Life Orb
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Growth

Good luck with your team, man! I hope I helped.
  6. ABfloww

ABfloww

Thank you all once again, it is great to see all of you helping out. I'll try out a few of the recommendations and see how it goes

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)