The Fog of War (6 way melee) Ref = Fire Blast [Banryu wins!!!!! Jas is runner-up!!!!]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a very different, interesting match that i want to ref. I'm looking for some particpants.

The battle is basically a meelee battle (4-6 players) with many smaller battles in it. The most significant part is that the pokemon people are using and the actions of the pokemon are all a secret. So here is what the order would look like:

1. You PM me the poke you want to use
2. I PM you a map of the arena showing where your spawn point is
3. You PM me a path that you want your pokemon to travel in. While you travel, you can find items and face wild pokemon. You can also see other trainer's pokemon if they cross your path. The situation will then become a 1v1 battle. However, you can always run, but the success will depend on the situation an a little bit of RNG. Once you see another pokemon you know what their pokemon is. This info could be useful.
4. Once everybody has sent me their path, I will PM them back with a description of what happened while they went through the path.
5. The round then ends. When you know what happened in your path, you will either make a new path, or you will battle someone else.

Also, this game has another factor. If you have seen someone's pokemon, the knowledge of their pokemon choice, their health and their energy could be useful to another player. Perhaps you could bribe them to tell you by giving them an item you found. Or maybe you want someone to join a battle you're having with another player. But what if they turn on you? This is all stuff you could consider.

The arena will be a pretty big one. I'm thinking that maybe the FireRed safari zone with the old chateau and the galactic veilstone building inside. Anybody have an idea? Another idea I'm considering is showing the location of pokemon at the end of a round. It could be only a large area in which the pokemon is, or it may only be given every x number of rounds.

Keep in mind this is not a regular battle. It may go one for a month or two or it may not. Do not expect insta updates, that is not possible.
This thread will not be used for battling due to the nature of this battle. However, we will be using this thread to discuss and possible do other things.

The participants:

1. IceBug
2. Venser
3. Banryu
4. jas61292
5. kannon
6. porygon3

Before we start we need to clarify some things so don't PM me anything yet.

1. What do you think the arena should be? Do like my idea.
2. How do you think the rewards should work? rewards = counters
3. I want you to remember the bolded part, it is important and makes the game very interesting
4. The match will have all abilities, 5 chills, 3 recovers, you can use items you pick up, i will be lenient with the DQ but don't take very long (more than a 5 days?)

I will tell you when to PM me your pokemon, it will be after everybody has responded with their opinion.

1. Arena should at least provide some cover so there can be trickery and stealth, so I like the Safari Zone, personally. I think the other buildings are a tad bit unnecessary, because the Safari Zone has it's own buildings (I'm assuming for the purpose of holing up in/receiving items/ect?).

2. Hmmm...I would like to ask at least 5 TC, but this assumes wild encounter wins don't count for KO counters. Everyone has a reasonable shot at at least 2 KO counters naturally, but if wilds count, the number of TCs might be too high. Then again, something like this, being RP intensive and long time-wise (tying up one team member until it's finished), it could easily be more...hmmm, I'll say 5 TC, no KOs for wilds, and then adjust according to what others think is fair.

3. M'kay.

4. 3-5 days on DQ will be PLENTY for people to send one PM indicating direction of movement and actions. Really, just make sure you set something that you can keep up with, because if a bunch of battles break out this is gonna be like 3+ fights, at the same time.

1. What do you think the arena should be? Do like my idea.
3. I want you to remember the bolded part, it is important and makes the game very interesting
4. The match will have all abilities, 5 chills, 3 recovers, you can use items you pick up, i will be lenient with the DQ but don't take very long (more than a 5 days?)
1. I think the Safari Zone or something similar is fine. I would suggest possibly adding a few places for pokemon to hide to recover and such, although if you have buildings I guess that works. I was thinking something more natural (caves, small "forests" or just groups of trees bundled together, etc), but whatever works.

I don't think giving away the locations of pokemon is necessarily a good idea. However, maybe something like "there are 2 pokemon in the northeastern portion of the map" is reasonable? Although I think if a fight occurs and a pokemon gets knocked out (maybe just trainer vs trainer, but trainer vs wild might work also), a specific location could be given, sort of as an "emergency flare" if you will? Like "porygon3 has just been defeated by Venser at this specific spot", etc.

2. Significantly more than a standard battle imo, I'm not sure exactly what would be best. I think once IceBug's concern is answered (whether or not wild encounters count as anything) it will be easier to decide.

I think wild encounters providing points of some kind for the pokemon is useful if the wild pokemon are remotely threatening. If it takes me 20-30 energy per wild pokemon I would really expect to get something out of it, but if it's just "you found a Wurmple! It has 5 HP!" then I would not expect any reward for that, so I guess it depends more on "what are the wild encounters like?" if that is information you plan on giving us (and if it isn't, that's fine too, more of a surprise and such)

4. 5 days should be more than enough, I think. Although 5 days on your part would be totally understandable, since this is a lot of stuff to deal with as a ref (also going back to #2 this should give you a TON of ref counters). For the battlers I think the standard 3 day DQ would be fine

Also another question: can we use things like Chills and recovery moves when we are not in a battle? For example, if I have just finished a battle (or ran away, or whatever), I may want to take a little time to heal myself before running into the next thing. What is your view on this? Also in a similar thought, stat boosting moves? If they are allowed outside of combat, how long would they be active? I assume not "they stay active until you battle" because then I could enter a battle with maximum everything. I would probably lean towards allowing Chills and possibly Recovers outside battle and nothing else, although of course it is your call!

If weather moves are used in battle, what effect does that have? For example, if I was to use Sunny Day in a battle and then the battle ends the next round, does Sunny Day continue even after we are gone, possibly still being active in that general area if another battle happens to occur there?

1 pokemon each, right? If so, I think (this is more just discussion than a question) that running away would be a good idea, as otherwise one of you loses your only pokemon and the other is significantly weakened. Although in that case the game would in theory continue forever, so I guess "you can only run at the end of a round" or some similar restriction could be needed if this is a forseeable problem. More than one pokemon each would probably be too difficult to manage anyway.

Continuing from the above, maybe there could be an option for when you run into another trainer, instead of battling them (as per Rule 3), both trainers could opt to pass by each other without battling? I know this goes against the "if you lock eyes, you must fight!" that pokemon has always had and I can't quite figure out how to type my concerns so I guess I will just wait for a reply before I go any further on this. I guess the issue is I don't want to run into a trainer on my 2nd turn who can kill my pokemon in one round and force the game to end for me. This option would also allow more bribing opportunities, such as "I'll give you X item if you don't battle me and don't move the same direction as me" or something along those lines.

Sorry for the really long post, I was planning to just post a couple lines to each of the questions and then ended up thinking of a lot more.

I don't think giving away the locations of pokemon is necessarily a good idea. However, maybe something like "there are 2 pokemon in the northeastern portion of the map" is reasonable? Although I think if a fight occurs and a pokemon gets knocked out (maybe just trainer vs trainer, but trainer vs wild might work also), a specific location could be given, sort of as an "emergency flare" if you will? Like "porygon3 has just been defeated by Venser at this specific spot", etc.
This made me think about the Hunger Games and I realized how similar this is to that game. (i know it's random :p, if you haven't read the Hunger Games, read it!!) I think that revealing locations is necessary because otherwise the path that people choose would be too random. I might give a range every few turns, just to give players a sense of direction.

I think wild encounters providing points of some kind for the pokemon is useful if the wild pokemon are remotely threatening. If it takes me 20-30 energy per wild pokemon I would really expect to get something out of it, but if it's just "you found a Wurmple! It has 5 HP!" then I would not expect any reward for that, so I guess it depends more on "what are the wild encounters like?" if that is information you plan on giving us (and if it isn't, that's fine too, more of a surprise and such)
these wild encounters are mainly here for two reasons. the first one is for flavor. it makes the game more interesting and is a different way of getting items. It makes sense if we choose the Safari Zone as a arena. They are also there to *slightly* wear you down. Another idea i got regarding rewards is perhaps you could be given the option to catch one of your wild encounters as a prize. of course this would be like spending your TCs for you, so it would be up to the players.
Also another question: can we use things like Chills and recovery moves when we are not in a battle? For example, if I have just finished a battle (or ran away, or whatever), I may want to take a little time to heal myself before running into the next thing. What is your view on this? Also in a similar thought, stat boosting moves? If they are allowed outside of combat, how long would they be active? I assume not "they stay active until you battle" because then I could enter a battle with maximum everything. I would probably lean towards allowing Chills and possibly Recovers outside battle and nothing else, although of course it is your call!
i agree with you, Chills and Recovers will be allowed outside of battle. Stat changes revert back in regular battles, and they do so here also.

f weather moves are used in battle, what effect does that have? For example, if I was to use Sunny Day in a battle and then the battle ends the next round, does Sunny Day continue even after we are gone, possibly still being active in that general area if another battle happens to occur there?
perhaps, special conditions like this are always questionable in certain arenas and usually it is up to the ref's discretion to decide how they take place ;)

1that running away would be a good idea, as otherwise one of you loses your only pokemon and the other is significantly weakened. Although in that case the game would in theory continue forever, so I guess "you can only run at the end of a round" or some similar restriction could be needed if this is a forseeable problem. More than one pokemon each would probably be too difficult to manage anyway. Continuing from the above, maybe there could be an option for when you run into another trainer, instead of battling them (as per Rule 3), both trainers could opt to pass by each other without battling? I know this goes against the "if you lock eyes, you must fight!" that pokemon has always had and I can't quite figure out how to type my concerns so I guess I will just wait for a reply before I go any further on this. I guess the issue is I don't want to run into a trainer on my 2nd turn who can kill my pokemon in one round and force the game to end for me. This option would also allow more bribing opportunities, such as "I'll give you X item if you don't battle me and don't move the same direction as me" or something along those lines.
possibly, there is always possibilities of an alliance too. (woah this is really similar to the hunger games!) however, i want to limit running because otherwise this battle would take too long.

long post is np, i want your opinion

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This made me think about the Hunger Games and I realized how similar this is to that game. (i know it's random :p, if you haven't read the Hunger Games, read it!!)
Wow, I was just thinking the the exact same thing (and yes, if you haven't read it, do so).

I think that revealing locations is necessary because otherwise the path that people choose would be too random. I might give a range every few turns, just to give players a sense of direction.
I definitely agree that some form of identification of where people are is necessary (Unless of course you want to be even more like the Hunger Games, and as the one in control, manipulate stuff to get us to come together, but that might only make it more difficult for you). Revealing at least the general location of any KOs is a good idea, I think, but unless action is going too slow i don't think you need to notify us of locations all the time.

As for your four questions,

1. I think the Safari Zone is fine. As long as there is enough detail and features, I don't think there will be any problems with it.

2. I really don't know about this one, but what the previous post said sounded fine, so I'll just go with anything. Though as was previously mentioned, you should definitely get a lot for reffing this. It will take a lot of work.

3. Well, that's not really a question, but OK.

4. 5 days is more than enough for me, but it might be difficult for you, so whatever you feel is good I'm fine with.

Another idea i got regarding rewards is perhaps you could be given the option to catch one of your wild encounters as a prize. of course this would be like spending your TCs for you, so it would be up to the players.
Being able to catch wild pokemon in exchange for TC is a really cool idea! I seriously like that a lot

I think the best way to implement that though would be for it to be taken out of the TC reward we would get; for example, if it was decided that we all get 5 TC as IceBug suggested, and I catch a Sunkern in the wild, I would have that forever but only walk away with 3 TC from this. Unless you were thinking of something else in which case I am obviously interested to hear it!

1. What do you think the arena should be? Do like my idea?
I like the safari zone idea, however, I'm thinking maybe a smaller safari zone, like the one in R/S/E or HG/SS might be the thing to go for. Another idea is the Pal Park from Sinnoh, that could be interesting LOL. The main reason I say this is so that there's more fighting and less wandering around. This is a battle (of sorts), so it should still kind of play like one I think.

Erm... well we're each sending out one Pokemon, right? So ref compensation should probably be like 6 tokens... Although you may want to consider getting one or more people to co-ref with you simultaneously. Although that would get things complicated... as for us, I think we should get KO counters for the same thing as always, although it might also be good to have like 'survival counters' or something to reward those participants who last longer, like maybe the top 2-3. Top 3 would all get 1 SC, top 2 would each get one more, and the last man standing would get one more, making 3 total, y'dig? Just an idea.

....um... Okay... I don't really know what to contribute regarding that though. :0

....same as above? Or like... should I say anything else here...?

Haven't read other people's stuff yet, kinda busy today though so I'll probably need to do that later...

all I have to say that hasn't already been covered by everyone else is that I think we should use that distortion world map you showed me on irc, I'm in agreement with everything else everyone's said so far

I think maybe we should take a vote on the map, to that end. Quite frankly, pretty much all the stage ideas sound cool to me.

Okay, so I have made a few final decisions for the battle and now we can begin.

1. I have chosen the arena. It is the R/S/E Safari Zone. I choose it due to the many terrains it has. Keep it mind that although this is an in-game map, you are not confined to the mechanics of in-game. All the buildings are accessible and the trainers mean nothing. You can use them to help me understand your path. Here is a pic: http://www.freewebs.com/pokemonelite4leader/whole%20safari%20zone.PNG

2. The reward for this will be 3 TCs and the counters will be decided based on the battles with other participants that you partake in. If you run from a battle you will lose your ability to gain some of the counters. For example, if you run after 1/3 of a match you will only get to choose two of an EC, DC, and MC. KO counters will be awarded to those who KO other participant's pokemon. Additionally, the last survivor will gain two extra KO counters.

3. Additionally, participants will be able to catch wild pokemon that they see. This will be done in a fashion similar to in-game. You want to lower the pokemon's health and maybe even status it. Pokemon that you catch will join you in your journey for this battle only. They can partake in battles, but they will have lower HP and energy. They will know lv. up moves that they learn till lv. 30 and they can also learn TMs that you find. These pokemon will not belong to you after the battle, unless you spend TCs on them. They will then become a regular pokemon that you bought, like anyother. However, you will then have the first pokemon in CAP ASB to have been actually caught and you can put this somewhere in your pokemon's description. Everybody will start with 3 Heal Balls, pokemon not caught in Heal Balls will become gradually healthier every round.

[100 - (Current HP/Max HP * 100)] * CR * (Ball) * 7 + Status * 5

CR = Capture Rate
Ball = power of ball
Status = power of inflicted status if any, if none status = 0

a few calcs with this formula:

40% chance to catch a half health Lillipup in a Pokeball
98% chance to catch a red health Scraggy in an Ultra Ball
13% chance to catch a sleeping, red health, legendary with an Ultra Ball

The battle has begun, PM me your choice of pokemon and while everybody is doing this i will PM you your spawn point too. Good Luck to everybody and have fun!!

Quick question(s):
2. The reward for this will be 3 TCs
is this the reward for the WINNER? Or the participants in general?

Also, does the growing gradually more healthy every round thing apply to all Pokemon, or just the caught ones? It kind of makes sense that they all would slowly recover while walking around....

Also, how many Pokemon are we PMing you? Is it one per person, or what....?

To make sure that people are doing this well, I'm going to set some guidelines for telling me your path:

1. Go farther. These pokemon are capable of going long distances. Do not give a very short path, give me more, and I can cut you off. More > less. Try to give me a point at which you want to reach

2. This is not in-game! To find a wild poke, you do not need to walk back and forth in grass. You can find them anywhere as you walk along. Items can also be found in places other than pokeballs, I will use an RNG to decide both of these factors.

THERE IS NO NEED TO RESEND YOUR FIRST PATH, JUST REMEMBER THESE FOR THE FOLLOWING ROUNDS.

Btw here is how the order will work

1. You send me your path/actions (depending on where you are)
2. I send you a report of what happened

-round ends-

Sorry for the triple post, but i need to...

Locations have been revealed!
Everybody take a look at the map, so that they can hunt down their enemies.
Remember other people move too!! Try to predict where they will go.

Spectators, if you would like information about this match you can VM/PM me asking for an overview/summary of what has happened/is happening. HoweveR, DO NOT REVEAL WHAT YOU KNOW TO OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even if it seems like it doesn't matter, just don't do it.

Players, you may now send me orders/paths.

I apoligize for this, but due to late PMs I will not be able to ref until approximately one week from now. i will then edit this post with locations and I will reply to your PMs.

KANNON, SEND YOUR ORDERS!!!!

Locations after Round 5!

Kannon has been DQed. Unfortunately, he has not been on since the 2nd. We will just have to play without him :/

Sorry for no replies. I was out of town, and waiting for kannon.

Oh dear god. o____O Venser jas and Icebug are all just in a clusterfuck over there.

...all according to plan. >D Bwaaahahahahahaha.

Venser has been eliminated from the game. He is no longer playing and there are now four players left! Good Luck to the remaining participants, round 6 results are almost done.

IceBug has been eliminated from the game. He is no longer playing and there are now three players left! Good Luck to the remaining participants, and locations of others will be revealed at the end of the next round, after I reply to all of your soon to come orders/paths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)