The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW BAM_UR_DEAD : What are your other lifts like? That 215 powerclean is really impressive. (I've been doing Starting Strength too :heart:)
My bench is nothing to be proud of - I honestly have never maxed out with it, but I do 3 sets of 5 at 135 and have been stuck at that for a long time. Basically, since track season started and I haven't had time to go to the gym save for once or twice a week, my bench has stopped going up.

I haven't maxed on squat either, but I do 3x5 at 215 and that's been going up by five pounds or so every week. My cleans have really appreciated my growing squat because just over a month ago I could barely hit 205 but now I can do two consecutive reps at it. I hope to hit 235 by the end of the year weighing as close to 150lbs as possible.

I need to deadlift more often as well but for some reason my gym doesn't have a deadlift/clean station so it's a pain to set everything up.

One thing that has recently been gaining a lot of popularity (at least around here in washington) is longboarding. Longboarding in general is very difficult to define largely thanks to the penumbra of stuff like "longboards" that are in fact shorter in length than a traditional skateboard, and people riding longboards in bowls and doing goofy tricks and stuff. But basically, think big skateboards with big, soft wheels that people cruise around and ride down hills on.

And linking the topic to physical fitness, I'd just like to say that as a person who has felt somewhat alienated by most sports (damn short arms), longboarding was a very fun and accessable way to work up a sweat, hang out with buddies and get where you need to go.

For anyone interested, I would recommend jumping on a friend's or stranger's board for a while, you'll be hooked in seconds-- I guarantee it. Check out silverfishlongboarding.com for more info; silverfish is to longboarding as smogon is to competitive pokemon. =D

Also, go into any zumiez or local skateshop and you'll see a lot of "Sector 9" boards. There's nothing really wrong with them-- I own one-- and they do make a good first board... but I would recommend shopping around online as you can get A LOT more bang for your buck out of something like a kracked skulls setup.

oh wait hold on-- got a question too.

I have access to a gym and I feel like I need to take advantage of it more. Along with a basic workout routine, what should I do to build strength and bulk in my wrists and forearms? Maybe hanging from a bar for a while?

Bent over rows are really good for your forearms and wrists too. And for those wondering about nitric oxide supplements like no xplode and no shotgun. From my personal experience with no shotgun, it helped me do more lifts before i started to get tired. It also volumizes your muscles, but its mostly water. If you have the money, i suggest getting it, but protein should have priority over your other supplements.

Yeah, I dont really WANT protein since at this point I am not really looking to bulk and get stronger and stronger but more to tone.

MISCONCEPTION ALERT: "Toning" is just gaining muscle and/or lowering body fat to give muscles more definition. You NEED to eat protein to maintain your muscles, and even more to gain.

Also, eating fat doesn't make you fat.

MISCONCEPTION ALERT: "Toning" is just gaining muscle and/or lowering body fat to give muscles more definition. You NEED to eat protein to maintain your muscles, and even more to gain.

Also, eating fat doesn't make you fat.
I am aware of that, but I dont really want to drink protein shakes or whatnot, I have no problem eating protein considering that is most of what I eat, but I do just want to lower my body fat and do many reps of lifts as opposed to the 3x5 sets etc...

I am aware of that, but I dont really want to drink protein shakes or whatnot, I have no problem eating protein considering that is most of what I eat, but I do just want to lower my body fat and do many reps of lifts as opposed to the 3x5 sets etc...
1-3 mile jog in the morning and your fine, easy as that.
My mile time 7mins 23seconds

Trying to beat down to 6.

I'm so sad, I haven't even gone outside except for school in the last month and a half. My mom complained I was getting fat and made me run for half in hour on the treadmill-it was the first time I had done serious excersize for more then ten minute sin almost 8 months. Other than that, my averageg exersize is reaching deep into the chip bag for that last chip... (And I was the best player on my little league team 3 years in a row, what happened?)

My one mile time is fourteen minutes, 23 seconds last run in PE...up 3 minutes from the year before....

And on in unrelated note, I usually brush my teeth once every three weeks, every other week at most, and yet I'm the only person in my family to have never had a cavity.

Psycho: You want to get toned? Three main things:
1. Eat an amount of calories that is just below the amount you need to maintain your weight. Make sure a fair percentage of the calories are protein.
2. Cardio! Run, Ride, Swim.
3. With regard to weights - high reps, low weights.

Pretty simple when you put it like that, eh? Protein shakes aren't going to do a heap, but sure, use them as a post workout thing if you want.

Also, if anyone needs any help with anything running related, just ask, I'd be glad to help.

And as the fashion of the last few posts seems to be to say your mile (or 1.6km) time, mine is currently sitting at 4 minutes 30 seconds.

1. Eat an amount of calories that is just below the amount you need to maintain your weight. Make sure a fair percentage of the calories are protein.

Pretty simple when you put it like that, eh? Protein shakes aren't going to do a heap, but sure, use them as a post workout thing if you want.

Also, if anyone needs any help with anything running related, just ask, I'd be glad to help.

And as the fashion of the last few posts seems to be to say your mile (or 1.6km) time, mine is currently sitting at 4 minutes 30 seconds.
Yeah, that is basically what I have been doing. I eat tons of meats and protein for food anyways, but I think I eat a few too many calories but oh well. I try to run as much as possible and that will get a hundred times easier in the nice weather I am getting, though I was doing it at my university and will continue to do so for some time. Last time I had my mile timed, i was at 5 and some change, which really meant and still means nothing to me. Hmm, oh well!

I'm gonna have to disagree/expand upon some of this:

1. http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ This can help you calculate your caloric needs (don't forget to do Harris-Benedict Equation, also on this page)

2. Don't think of cardio as the number one way to lose fat. Do you see all the cardio bunnies at the gym who are always on the treadmill, but always look the same? Cardio should be done for cardiovascular health, not fat loss.

In general, for fat loss the order of effectiveness is:
Diet>Weightlifting>HIIT>Cardio.

On the other hand, there's always http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/gflux_redux.

3. Neuromuscular strength - Low reps (2-6), High Weight
Hypertrophy (bodybuilding, etc) - Higher reps (6-12), High Weight

Why would you ever do an "easy" weight? The last rep of a low rep set should be just as hard as the last rep of a higher rep set. For hypertrophy, you need to create microtears in your muscle, and light weight doesn't do that effectively. I'm not sure if by "low" weight you meant lower, and I'm not trying to attack your ideas. I'm just expanding, because the notion of high reps/low weight is also mentioned in the OP, and I don't want beginners to get the wrong idea.

oh wait hold on-- got a question too.

I have access to a gym and I feel like I need to take advantage of it more. Along with a basic workout routine, what should I do to build strength and bulk in my wrists and forearms? Maybe hanging from a bar for a while?

get a 20 lb bag of rice and bury your hands in it with them shaped like this:

lol that dude looks fucking hilarious but anyways just bury your hands (one at a time) in that shape halfaway up your fore arm and twist back and forth for 5-10 minutes (rotate your wrist, not your elbow and shoulder). do that every day for a while and you'll have stronger wrists and hands in no time. knuckle pushups work really well for wrist strength too

also, i think toning in general is fucking dumb. you want to get stronger and have less fat without "bulking up"... it doesn't matter how you exercise muscles GROW when they get stronger. you will NOT blow up like those meatheads you see in Mr. Universe and weight lifting competitions because it is pretty damn hard to get and stay that big. i am going to use Lee as an example here because we all know and can see that he exercises like a mad mother fucker and he isn't huge or bulky. just exercise until you meet all of your strength and weight goals and your body will grow to where it needs to be and not any further.

Deadlifting also works your grip strength a lot.

Or else go rock climbing! When I was younger (like 13 and 14) I was in the competitive scene and placed in every competition I ever went to (and one a few as well!). Climbing has a huge effect on your forearm and core strength/endurance.

Tayleef: Weight-lifting doesn't neccesarily lead to fat loss. The theory behind that is that the more muscle you have, the more calories will be burned. So, it's a very timely process to get efficient fat loss that way.

By high reps, low weight, I simply meant the amount of weight you can lift for say 12-15 reps. Not like 2.5 pounds on 146 reps.

Dick Smith: I think that "muscle burns more than fat" thing is just a difference of single digit calories.

What I was talking about was the calories burnt actually doing the lifting, in addition to the extra calories burned in the hours after lifting and in the repair of muscles. That's something a beginner can get instantly.

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1526539 This article backs me up (with studies).

Drybones: I can also attest to deadlifts being awesome for grip strength.
Just make sure to grip the bar correctly. Ripping callouses suck.

Well, I work out a lot everyday. Lifting weights, running the treadmill, hitting the boxing bag. I'm not too good with the lower body. I hate doing step ups, squats, bench, but I do swim and jog. Every morning, I go for a jog of about 5 miles. (I wake up at like 5.) Then from there I drink skim milk and a granola bar. I began to ride my bike for about 1-2 miles. But it's pretty rough considering that there's a hill just about every corner. For some reason, my breathing becomes very quick. It's not normal. I don't have asthma and I've this has happened to me since I was about 10. I would play for around 3-4 hrs, and if it's very intense, my breathing would be very rapid. I've been to the doctors and they said that it could be some asthma from family members like grandparents, etc. No one in my family has asthma, so I don't know. Any help on this is appreciated.
Remember when they say that an apple a day keeps the doctors away? Well, that's a new thing that I've been trying. I'm kinda getting sick of it. A person can only eat so many apples. Is there any continuous lower body workout? Something that requires me to continuously stay on the move. Like the treadmill.

My 10 favourite and most effective exercises/training mehtods:

As with all of these exercises, make sure a warm-up and cool-down are used.

1. Fartlek

Fartlek is Swedish for "speed play". Put simply, fartlek is a type of running where you go from high intensity to low intensity over and over again. Even more simply, you sprint, you jog, you sprint, you jog, you sprint, you jog - you get the point! Personally, I have found it to be the single most effective training method out there. It is great for burning calories, and your general fitness will get such a boost if you incorporate this into your training program. A great fartlek session looks something like:
- 90 seconds hard running (85-95%), 90 seconds recovery. Repeat 2 times.
- 60 seconds hard running (85-95%), 60 seconds recovery. Repeat 4 times.
- 30 seconds hard running (85-95%), 30 seconds recovery. Repeat 4 times.
- 15 seconds sprinting (100%), 15 seconds recovery. Repeat 4 times.
Note: with the recovery, try to keep jogging.
Note #2: to make this exercise increasingly difficult, but to gain even greater results, it can be done up hills.

2. The Mile ... Twice.

The mile, or 1.6km, is an Olympic event. It's also great to use in your training program. This is a very simple yet effective session. Run a mile at 90% of your maximum effort. Walk around for 2 minutes, then go again. Try to push as hard as you can on the second mile, you'll be buggered, but the results are worth it.

3. Interval Cycling

This can be used either with a exercise bike, or out on the road on a push bike. I like both ways, though probably prefer an exercise bike. It's a great way to buil up a sweat and really works those quads. There are a number of different ways you can use this training method, and my personal favourite is this:
- 5 minutes nice pace (warm up)
- 1 minute fast; 30 seconds nice pace. Repeat 3 times.
- 30 seconds fast; 30 seconds nice pace. Repeat 5 times.
- 2 minutes fast; 30 seconds nice pace. Repeat 2 times.
- 15 seconds flat out; 15 seconds nice pace. Repeat 8 times.
- 5 minutes as fast as possible.
- 10 minutes nice pace (warm down)
Note: if you are using an exercise bike, try to make the resistance challenging. If it is too low you won't see great results.

4. The Push Up

Push ups are used in almost everyones training program, whether you be a beginner or professional athlete. Why? Because they work! They are one of the best exercises around as they target large muscles groups, in one compound movement. Another great thing with the push up is that there are so many variations of it, including the close grip, wide grip, decline, incline, clap, etc.

5. Sand running

Live near a beach? Then God your lucky. Simply go and run on the softest sand for 20 minutes, working pretty hard. The burn in your legs combined with heavy breathing you've never experienced will let you know just how hard you're working. Make sure you're working hard enough that by the time 20 minutes comes around, you don't want to move another step.

6. Boxing

Boxing is a great off your legs, full body training. It works your arms, improves cardio vascular fintess, and can be used to build speed and agility. The most effective boxing in my opinion can ony be done with two people. One person wears the gloves, one wears the pads. If you can't find a partner to do this with, then a punching bag will have to do. Great sessions for both are as follows:
With a parnter (pads):
- 1 minute straight punching; 15 seconds rest.
- Get on your knees, and your partner will stand behind you holding the mits at a height where you have to nearly fully extend your arms to hit them. Hit them for 1 minute flat out; 15 seconds rest.
- Stand back up. Now, hit the pads 3 times (starting on your left arm), stop, then 5 times, stop, then 7 times, until you get to 21, then work your way down. So: 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3. Rest for 15 seconds.
- Get your partner to side step around in a space of about 5 meters square, and when he/she stops, you hit the pads 5 times. So you have to side step around wherever he goes, and then punch. Do this flat out for 2 minutes. 15 secs recovery.
- Punch the pads 10 times, then do 4 push ups. Repeat 10 times; 15 seconds rest.
- Punch flat out for 2 minutes.

7. The Plank
I personally love this exercise, and I know I'm not the only one who will rave about it. It is used predominately for stregthining your back and abs. The best routine for the plank I have found is something like:
- Hold for 90 seconds, 45 seconds rest. Repeat 3-6 times.

8. Squats

Squats are one of the best lower body exercises avaliable. Scrap that - they are the best. They can be used with weights, or just using your bodyweight. For beginners, I would suggest doing squats against a wall, without weights, and slowly working your way into incorporating resistance. For a in depth look at squats click on this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squat_(exercise).

9. Swimming

Swimming is a highly effective form of cardio. It is an off your legs, full body workout, which is one of the best ways to mold the body you've always wanted. Buy some goggles and a swimming cap and head down to your local pool. This session is fairly straigh forward, but will work you like you wouldn't believe. The session consists of:
- 100 meter warm up swim (freestyle).
- 400 meters hard swimming; 30 seconds rest. Repeat 4 times. (freestyle).
- 50 meters hard swimming, 50 meters slow swim. Repeat 5 times. (freestyle).
- 200 meter warm down (breaststroke, freestyle, back stroke)

10. Skipping

Skipping is great for your lower body, and builds up a huge sweat. It's also pretty fun! A session of skipping would be something like:
- 200 fast skips. Rest for 30 seconds. Repeat 5 times.
- 500 fast skips. Rest for 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.
- 1000 fast skips.
However, you can make your own program. Just skip as fast and as long as you want. Make it fun.

11. Tricep Dip
12. The Crunch
13. Chin Ups
14. 3km Time Trial Run
15. Burpees

by the way low weight with high reps is absofuckinglutely useless if you want to build muscle or get stronger. you build muscle by putting more stress than they are used to on them. sure you may feel tired and have a nice burning sensation after 500+reps but you aren't forcing your muscles to do anything on the edge of their limit, its just a lactic acid buildup slowing you down. doing 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps with the weight as high as you can go for that number of reps is the best way to build muscle.

also, if you want to lose flab start counting calories. first multiply your weight by 11, then multiply that number by .35 and add the two together, that is a rough estimate of the calories your body will burn on its own day to day. if you want to lose weight eat fewer if you want to gain eat ~500-1000 more depending on your exercise plan. you want to make sure you are eating the right food as well. i eat my food on a 40/40/20 scale, which is 40% of my calories come from protein, 40% come from carbohydrates, and 20% from fats. and if you were not paying attention in health class or never learned 1g of protein has 4cal, 1g of carbos has 4cal, and 1g of fat has 9cal

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
1-3 mile jog in the morning and your fine, easy as that.
My mile time 7mins 23seconds

Trying to beat down to 6.
Running is defiently the best thing that's happened to me in the last year. I run cross country and track, and running has got me the most physically fit i've been since 7th grade where i did tae kwon doe. I'm not a spectacular runner but i'm always trying, my best mile time is about 5:50; although i never really run the 1 mile. My best 5k time is 20:01, and i ran about an 11:50 2 mile at the height of cross country season last year in the freshman race.

Now i have a question; does sand running really make you faster? I've heard things about it and i could probably get to a beach relatively easy, but i'm wondering about results.

People have told me running on sand is bad for your joints, but maybe a more experienced runner can shed better light on that.

Heavy squats help with speed.

The thing with sand running is that your body thinks you're running faster than you actually are. So say if there's a sand hill, and you run up it as fast as you can (which won't be that quick) your body thinks it's going as fast as it possibly can. It's great for sprint training and gaining speed in that respect. If you can get to a beach or any where with sand, do it as often as possible!

It's not bad on your joints, infact it's about the opposite. Run on the softest sand on the beach and you'll be buggered when you're done, but about 10 minutes after you've finished your legs will feel like they could do it all again. The only thing slighltly bad about sand running is that it can screw up your stride length, however the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Grass > Sand > Trails > Roads > Footpaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)