The Fysical Phitness Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just want to clarify, I only suggested the treadmill as a way to reliably set the pace for you, so your body can get used to what it feels like and you can train to maintain that pace when you're running. The treadmill is NOT to be used for your conditioning or endurance training, you should be either running on soft grass/soil or swimming for that.

In other news, I was at the gym today doing my first heavy leg lifts since high school, and I did 3x10 @ 500 lbs with relative ease. This prompted me to make it my goal to leg press 1000 lbs by the end of the year. I want y'all to keep pushing me, as I'll undoubtedly be posting my successes and frustrations here.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
15.51 was as low as I got before the injury. I imagine I'd be floating around sub-18 nowadays though.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Apparently my hamstring tightness and soreness needs to be fixed by a physio. Tried dead lifting yesterday and I had trouble getting the depth. The tightness in my hamstrings caused my knees to not be straight which is kinda dangerous :/ in the meantime ive been told I have to avoid deadlifts and squats which sucks!

Lee

@ Thick Club
It was originally an overuse injury in my knee that got complicated by a medical practice that is now almost universally condemned (i.e the use if corticosteroids to treat inflammation). It's sorta okay now, I can lead a normal life and can even run a little bit but I won't compete again and power movements like squats (and to a lesser extent, deadlifts) are permanently off the table.

And damn Stallion, do some stretches. It doesn't sound serious...I hope that turns out to be the case.

thought i'd come in here for some advice for an unusual situation

i am a mere boy of 16 years, graduating in about a month and then one month after that for external exams, after that i'm looking to get fit again so that means cardio etc but it also means i want to put some weight on

except i find it ridiculously difficult to put on weight, i eat about two teaspoons of peanut butter a day on top of all my usual protein stuff, i exercise less than i'd like but when i get some free time i want to start going to the gym but here's the kicker: i weigh 40kg and am 158cm tall (i got the small genes) which means i am very, very underweight for my height but this has never been an issue because i am still able to play sports to a decent level and i feel healthy etc

but i sure as hell don't look healthy and i'm finding myself a bit more insecure so what would be a good program to put on weight (not just fat, i play sports so i would like to be primarily putting on muscle)

everyone says strength training but that doesn't tell me much, are there routines or something

You're probably going to want to go with high weight, low rep exercises if you want to go more for muscle size (and therefore weight). Just work out a routine where every other day you're different sections, so like the first day do biceps, shoulders and legs, then the second day do triceps and chest, then repeat through the week.

40 kg and 158 cm is around 80ish pounds at 5'1 feet, correct? (Sorry if I converted wrong.) You definitely should try to get over 100 pounds at your height, and the best way to gain weight is to eat.

Seriously. EAT.

Eat the same amount of protein in grams as your body weight in pounds (So 80 grams. I'd actually recommend you eat a lot more than that, maybe go for 110-130 grams of protein).
Dairy products such as milk and eggs are full of protein; so are beans, chicken, red meat, and almonds. Even better, you can make a delicious fruit smoothie and then add some protein powder to make a protein shake. Eggs are excellent for protein; tuna and bacon aren't bad. Steaks, and fish are excellent. Any meat will do so long as it's not Value range. You also need plenty of carbs to gain weight; full-fat milk, bananas and wholegrain rice are good candidates.

Lee

@ Thick Club
Google GOMAD, it's the most effective and simple way of gaining weight I've used. As for strength training, pop back a few pages to where xpokeminmasterblasterx was asking for advice as there're some recommendations there. Alternatively, wait a few hours and Stylish Interval and company will be along to help out.

edit:

http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight

there's a little hyperbole in there but I can vouch for the general gist

Anyone know of some of the better triceps work outs? I've a bad back and it tends to get really sore doing push up like exercises, which eliminates them to some extent.

E: also most weights related exercises are off limits for now since i'm broke and have to move out.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Anyone know of some of the better triceps work outs? I've a bad back and it tends to get really sore doing push up like exercises, which eliminates them to some extent.

E: also most weights related exercises are off limits for now since i'm broke and have to move out.
Diamond Push Ups. Make a diamond with your hands on the floor and do push ups, they focus on the triceps.

But yeah, you won't be getting as big triceps as you want to without weights.

Diamond Push Ups. Make a diamond with your hands on the floor and do push ups, they focus on the triceps.

But yeah, you won't be getting as big triceps as you want to without weights.
Yeah, I've been doing them mainly the last few days, and they're alright. Gym situation is only temp hopefully. Thanks though.

Can somebody post pictures of the type of arms I could expect by doing pushups, pullups, etc

:s I don't wanna look ripped but I'd at least like some really noticeable results.

Lee

@ Thick Club
There isn't really a limit to how far you can go with body weight exercises provided you can keep adding weight through the use of a backpack or weighted clothing. Schwarzanegger used to do shutliads of weighted pull-ups, push ups and dips as part of his chest/back day and he did alright...

If you're not using weight then you might feel a little stronger than you would if you were doing absolutely nothing but aesthetic benefit will be minimal. Perhaps increased definition around the arms assuming your diet is sound.

@Photo: Dips!

thought i'd come in here for some advice for an unusual situation

i am a mere boy of 16 years, graduating in about a month and then one month after that for external exams, after that i'm looking to get fit again so that means cardio etc but it also means i want to put some weight on

except i find it ridiculously difficult to put on weight, i eat about two teaspoons of peanut butter a day on top of all my usual protein stuff, i exercise less than i'd like but when i get some free time i want to start going to the gym but here's the kicker: i weigh 40kg and am 158cm tall (i got the small genes) which means i am very, very underweight for my height but this has never been an issue because i am still able to play sports to a decent level and i feel healthy etc

but i sure as hell don't look healthy and i'm finding myself a bit more insecure so what would be a good program to put on weight (not just fat, i play sports so i would like to be primarily putting on muscle)

everyone says strength training but that doesn't tell me much, are there routines or something
can you break some things down for me

when you say you want to put on weight, but not fat, do you mean you're looking specifically to get "toned" ? are you trying to only put on muscle, or would you be fine with some fat as well? are you going to be actively participating in sports and cardio while you lift?

ps what food do you eat? i can give you my diet ;) i got up to 218 from 190 in about two-three months time :D :D :D

and there are routines for everything, trust me

Hello Avatar Korra, Lee, and Waterbomb. I too would like advice on working out without a squat rack and bench press. I want to still bulk up but I won't have access to those machines.

Stylish Interval, can you give me your diet please?

Lee

@ Thick Club
If your sole aim is to bulk up then I think you'll need to find a gym that has the correct equipment. Bench Press and Squats are almost non-negotiable in any serious mass-gaining program (or strength program for that matter...)

excellent name change, imo!

my diet:

breakfast: two bowls of cereal + peanut butter on toast (sometimes jam and butter doe)
lunch:10 oz chicken, celery with peanut butter (just a shit ton, no real "certain" amount) and one serving of whatever chips i had
dinner: whatever my mom made, almost always 1 meat + 3 veggies + bread

snacks: trail mix and peanut butter sandwiches. aimed for like .5 gallon bag a day, sometimes got more, sometimes got less

and i would have like 3 double cheeseburgers / week

to make the trail mix i got the bigass bulk things of cashews, peanuts and macadamia nuts and mixed it with the big ass bags of m&ms. check sams or costco or something

drink milk with every meal basically, usually also a glass of water. i used 2% milk cos i don't like whole milk too much and 2% is what i was raised on anyway. you need 2% or whole though for the calories.

drink plenty of water. i aim for a gallon a day cos i lift / run every day (just started running < a week ago doe, had to get up to 220 before i cut. some people don't like running on a cut, i think it's fucking awesome). i still aimed for a gallon before, but now i have a better reason.

sans the snacks and dinner, wolfram alpha is telling me this is 1961 calories. so i was probably eating close to or over (probably over lol) 3000 kcal per day.

if you don't care about this shit

milk and peanut butter (and trail mix imo) are the easiest ways to add cals to your diet. peanut butter is good on all sorts of shit. apples. bananas. celery. bread. chips. whatever you want to put it on, go for it. instant metric shit ton of calories added.

now that i'm at uni though i have a 5 meal a week plan (i ain't well off enough for the better ones, and i refuse to take student loans because i had being in debt) so i'm pretty much forced to cut. i get a burger, fries, onion rings and a coke per day. i drink a ton of water though so it's helping keep me full. weekends i'm hoping to go home to get meals though, since i only live 20 min off campus. there i'll probably have healthier, more full meals. probably like a +10 or +20 schedule. like weekdays it's more like -30 or -20. idk. we'll see how it goes.

meanwhile

how's everyone transitioning into fitness at school, cos i'm finding it hard as fuck to do. i hate people >,> getting shit done, but it's annoying and takes forever. these people are just socializing. sidewalk socializing. gym socializing. everyfuckingwhere no one is getting shit done and just talking. like come on man, i wanna get it done and move on. i only have so much time to play minecraft / league D:

super important btw: get everything in bulk. i go to sam's (like a costco but not as employee friendly) to get most of this. 20 bucks for like 15 jars of peanut butter. bags of chips the size of me are like 2 bucks. peanuts are so much more cost efficient in bulk. like 7 bucks for those little cans? try 10 bucks for big ass jugs. buying shit in bulk saves you a ton of money. i get chicken either in the frozen bags (7 bucks for like 30 oz) or i get rotisserie chicken (aka chicken of the gods) on sale at the end of the day in groceries. they can't keep them overnight if they have any, so they put them on sale at night. i buy like two or three to eat over the next two days. 2 bucks for a whole god damn chicken. good shit.

still can't tell if troll doe

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Just to add to SI's post, whole milk > 2% milk. You can and will get big eating Ramen Noodles and eggs.

oh oh oh ramen noodles and eggs jesus i just learned about it :D :D :D tasty shit

edit: i realize you may have been talking about them as separate things instead of combined....my bad

Hello Avatar Korra, Lee, and Waterbomb. I too would like advice on working out without a squat rack and bench press. I want to still bulk up but I won't have access to those machines.

Stylish Interval, can you give me your diet please?
Hey dude, do you at least have access to free weights, like dumbbells? Preferably a wide selection of different weights.

Good.

You can pretty much do a complete workout with only dumbbells.

Since you're a beginner, you should probably do 3 Full-Body workouts a week for about a month. Here's a Full-Body workout you could follow with only dumbbells

Legs- Dumbbell Lunges
Core- Russian Twist
Chest- Dumbbell Chest Press
Biceps- Dumbbell Bicep Curl
Triceps- Dumbbell Overhead Extension
Shoulders- Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Back- Pull ups and Chin ups

After the first month, you can move into a split routine. Here's a good one you could follow:

Sun: Legs
Mon: rest
Tues: Back + Biceps
Wed: rest
Thur: Chest + Triceps
Fri: rest
Sat: Shoulders + Abs

Then, you can use Bodybuilding.com to search for dumbbell-only exercises. Use the filter on the left side of the page to select Dumbbell Only, and then select the muscle group you want to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)