1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

The Gizmo Army

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Laga, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Laga

Laga Thank u based danish pastry
    is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
    Mentor

The Gizmo Army​

[​IMG]

Rehho there guys, Lagalaga here with my second RMT :^D

This team is more of a "my team needs help" RMT than an RMT in which you just brag about your awesomeness of the team you have made. This means, that if you are here to steal a team to play with, don't use this team. BUT, if you are a good UU player that wants to help a fella out, suggestions to tune this team would be fantastic. I find UU teams hard to build, because I don't have that much knowledge of the UU metagame (probably because I haven't play it that much) so if you are a UU expert, you might be able to help me out here :] This team hasn't even seen the ladder yet :/

Permanent changes will be coloured red.
    Changes that are being tested (by me) are in blue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Team at a glance~​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So this is the team. Not much to say that won't be better off said later, so let's go into details :]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[​IMG]

Gizmo (Cinccino) (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Skill Link
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - U-turn
    - Tail Slap
    - Rock Blast
    - Bullet Seed​

This pokemon is underrated. Starting off with the mascot of this team: Gizmo the Cinccino. I started using this just simply because it was really, really cute, and I wanted to try it out in UU :3 I later realized that this thing can do massive amounts of damage. I found the hard counter to this thing (pokemon that don't get 2HKOed after rocks) are only those pokemon that are steel types or very bulky ghost types.
    Here are some calcs showing the power of this ball of fluff's tail :3
    Show Hide
    • 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 236+ Def Zapdos: 210-245 (54.83 - 63.96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 180-215 (48.12 - 57.48%) -- 90.23% chance to 2HKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Raikou: 315-375 (98.13 - 116.82%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Victini: 255-300 (74.78 - 87.97%) -- 81.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus: 335-395 (112.04 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 260-315 (89.34 - 108.24%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Roserade: 405-480 (125 - 148.14%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heracross: 315-375 (104.65 - 124.58%) -- guaranteed OHKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 208 HP / 124 Def Snorlax: 300-360 (58.47 - 70.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• 252 Atk Choice Band Skill Link Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 300-360 (99.66 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Of course, all this looks really good on paper, but it does have its counters. Cobalion is the best check, resisting all it's moves, having a huge amount of natural physical bulk, and being able to OHKO gizmo back with a STAB fighting attack. BUT, that is obviously what U-turn is for; scouting. Don't ever underestimate the power of Choice Banded Cinccino.

Nickname explained: It looks a lot like a Gizmo :3

[​IMG]

Phantomb (Cofagrigus) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Mummy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Haze
    - Shadow Ball
    - Pain Split​
    This phantom tomb (hehe) is here to deal with everything (almost). It is my main switch-in to fighting types such as machamp, who's sub i can break and then burn it. I am invested in SDef instead of Def because 1) natural extreme physical bulk and 2) burn will help phaze off the physical damage taken. Haze is there for greedy bastards who like setting up. Pain Split is for chipping opponents health and a bit of recovery (might consider trying out ChestoRest, but you guys decide if I should). And that is all that needs to be said about this thing, as it's kind of a pretty self explanatory pokemon.

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Whirlwind
    - Body Slam
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest

Nickname explained: Phantom + Tomb. Basically, Cofagrigus is a ghost in a tomb :p

[​IMG]
    Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Aerial Ace

Changed Cobalion to a Scarfed Mienshao. As said in the 3rd reply to this thread, mienshao is indeed a better fit than Cobalion (tested it about 10 matches now, works well). I has good offensive synergy with Cinccino, and can revenge kill a lot of pokes with it's extremely high base 105 speed. Basically, it works very very well, though I might think about changing Aerial Ace to Hidden Power Ice for Gligars and Flygons.

Nickname explained:

[​IMG]
    Tigension (Raikou) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]​

As we all know, Raikou is a top tier UU threat that fits almost any team. Whether it be a choiced Raikou in a VolTurning core, or a sweeping Raikou, it is always a force to be reckoned with. Many of you might already know the power of Substitute + Calm Mind Raikou, so there isn't much to be said. It sweeps very often, especially if you can effectively bluff the scarf. The best thing is that you don't even have to set up every time. It hits extremely hard even unboosted. Common counters to this thing struggle to continuously take repeated hits from it, making it a good poke to put pressure on your opponent with.

Nickname explained: Tiger + Tension. Simply, a tiger with tension (electricity)

[​IMG]
    Bloat (Qwilfish) @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Spikes
    - Pain Split
    - Haze

Replaced Blastoise with Qwilfish. Yeah, I gotta admit, Qwilfish fits much much better. All the things Blastoise countered, Qwilfish counters better AND can set up spikes. Thank you very much for showing me that this forgotten pokemon can be so useful :] Not only does this Qwilfish effectively set up spikes, and wall a huge portion of physical scarfers, but it also works as an Intimidating pivot. It's counters are so obvious, that you can switch out to the appropriate pokemon to face the incoming predicted Qwilfish counter :^D

Nickname explained: Name of the pluffy fish from Finding Nemo :^D

[​IMG]
    Masquerose (Roserade) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm

- Sludge Bomb
    - Sleep Powder
    - Rest

Changed SpD Spiker Roserade to Offensive Roserade.Topping off the team as the last member, here is Roserade. This Roserade was once a spiker, but now that Blastoise became a Qwilfish, no need for that anymore. It is now an Offensive Roserade with Sleep Powder and Rest. This thing, if played with carefully, is a giant-ass threat. If you can put something to sleep and correctly predict your opponent, stuff dies. Rest is there to obviously heal yourself and the sleep fades away on switch out :]

Nickname explained: Masqurade + Rose. Rose is obviously self explanatory, Masqurade is because it looks like it is wearing a masquerade mask and dress.

Threat List~​

• Sableye: This thing is just so fucking annoying. The best thing I have to deal with it is probably Raikou. The downside of defeating it is getting burned, meaning that Raikou no longer effectively can pull of a sweep very easily.

• Scarfed Flygon: This thing destroys me if I don't have Cinccino at full HP (yes, it can just live an EQ from scarfed Flygon) or Cofagrigus at a good amount of HP.

• Scarfed Krookodile: Exact same as Flygon, except Blastoise can do a lot of damage with Aqua Jet and take a hit or 2 (unless moxie starts to boost).

• Registeel, especially Curse varients: This thing is so bulky, and the only notable super effective hit I have is Cobalion's Close Combat.

• Nidoking, Sheer Force Life Orbed Nidoking can do massive amounts of damage to my team, and that is also why I am testing out Snorlax to wall this and a bunch of other special threats.

So that concludes this RMT, I hope you liked it. And keep in mind:
    Everything is subject to change, Except the Cinccino, because it's this team's mascot, heck even nicknames!! So please do come with suggestions to make this team better. Have a good one :^D​
  2. PTJon7

PTJon7

I really don't see any reason for you to run a rapid spinner on a team with no Stealth Rock weaknesses. I do agree with your team being Fire weak, and I think I have a better solution. Intimidate Qwilfish:
    As you can see Qwilfish's 2nd, 3rd, and 4th moves can be plenty of different things. I think running Spikes on it could be a good idea as a backup if Roserade can't set up. Taunt is awesome to stop opposing walls, Haze is awesome in stopping set up, Destiny Bond can sometimes nab a quick kill, and Pain Split is Qwilfish's only recovery move.

I also think your team needs a Choice Scarf user, as anything with a Scarf outspeeds your whole team. The undisputed king of the Choice Scarf in UU right now is Mienshao, as its base 105 speed lets it outspeed any other common Scarfer in the tier. Victini and Flygon are two other very good Scarf users as well. All 3 of these guys have really powerful STAB attacks (Hi Jump Kick, V-Create, and Outrage) and all help your team gain momentum with U-Turn.
  3. Laga

Mentor

This seams like a good idea, and I shall try out the qwilfish :] I also agree to the fact that I kinda lack a scarfer, but I just don't know which pokemon to replace for it :/
  4. ScraftyIsTheBest

ScraftyIsTheBest Fletchinder FTW
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Hi there, this is a very nice team. There are ways to improve it though.

As PTJon said, Blastoise is really unnecessary because you don't have any SR weak mons. Blastoise really kills a lot of momentum in general. Qwilfish is a great replacement, as he can check Mienshao, Victini, Heracross, Darmanitan, and some others while providing useful Spikes support for the team. In general, the set PTJon posted is really slashy, so a set of Spikes, Pain Split, Waterfall, and either Haze, Thunder Wave, or Taunt is more feasible, but the EV spread there is very good.

Since Roserade seems really redundant now, I would suggest Offensive Roserade instead, with Life Orb and a full Speed and SpA investment. Offensive Roserade can incapacitate one opponent with Sleep Powder and deal heavy damage to the opposition. This thing also packs enough power to manhandle Sableye, who can troll for days, but Roserade does mind being burned at all as it does not reduce the obscene power Roserade packs, while Natural Cure and Rest make the burn negligible. Rest is a viable option as well, and Roserade can make for a strong offensive pivot onto the team.

I would also suggest you replace Cobalion with Scarf Mienshao. Mienshao is the absolute best Pokemon in UU right now, and while Cobalion's utility is pretty nice, Spikes imo provides enough utility for the team and such. Scarf Mienshao is the best revenge killer, and it can take on many of the threats to this team, especially Registeel and Krookodile, as Jolly Mienshao outspeed Jolly Krookodile, so it can smash the thing for days. Scarf Flygon also has troubles with this thing too, which is also a plus. Mienshao also sports decent offensive synergy with Cinccino.

So yeah, that's that and I hope I helped with the team!

Summary of changes:

Show Hide
    Blastoise-------->Qwilfish
    Spiker Roserade-------->Offensive Roserade
    Cobalion--------->Scarf Mienshao

And here are the sets for the changes:

Show Hide
    Qwilfish @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
    Impish Nature
    - Spikes
    - Waterfall
    - Pain Split
    - Haze / Thunder Wave / Taunt

Roserade @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Sleep Powder
    - Rest

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Regenerator
    Jolly Nature
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Aerial Ace
  5. PokeGyarados

PokeGyarados

This is a great team, however there are a couple of problems:

As your team does not have a dedicated special tank apart from Roserade (which is under debate for an offensive set), it is threatened by several pokemon such as Chandelure and Nidoking. With Chandelure most of your team cannot tank a Fire Blast, with the exception of Blastoise/Qwilfish, who cannot tank repeated hits. Nidoking is not only powerful, but has destructive coverage. Earth Power hits your whole team neutrally which is a big problem, and it's coverage is just a bonus to deal more damage.

Therefore I would suggest Umbreon. Umbreon takes anything Chandelure, Nidoking, indeed anything most special attackers can throw at it, like a boss. To showcase the awesomeness of Umbreon, a Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast (stronger than HP Fighting) only does 53-63%(!), a damage number that can be stalled with Wish and Protect. However, a Pokemon needs to be replaced, so I would recommend replacing Roserade. Roserade is not an essential part of your team, and Umbreon can handle many of the same threats (i.e. Raikou). As an added bonus, Umbreon can clear Toxic from Cofagrigus and Raikou, burn from Cobalion and Cincinno, and can help heal weakened members with Wish.

You could also place RestTalk Snorlax instead of Umbreon. In exchange for most likely the best cleric support in UU, you get the nifty 30% chance of paralysis, and more importantly a form of phazing in Whirlwind. Without Whirlwind, your team may struggle a bit with slow setup sweepers, such as CurseLax and Crocune.

Heres the change:

Show Hide
    Masquerose (Roserade) @ Life Orb
    Timid Nature
    - Leaf Storm
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Sleep Powder
    - Rest

To:
    Umbreon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Heal Bell
    - Foul Play

Or:
    Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SDef
    Careful Nature
    - Whirlwind
    - Body Slam
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest
  6. Laga

Mentor

I agree that my team is pretty Nidoking weak, and I have also added it to the threat list. Therefore I am going to test the Snorlax, to get phazing into my team as well - not only to deal with sweepers, but to abuse the spikes that Qwilfish sets. Though I must say, I have another slot to put snorlax in than over Roserade. I am trying it over Cofagrigus, because 1) Cofagrigus has worked really badly for my team, and Roserade has worked very well, and 2) The Snorlax does / will be doing the job Cofagrigus is supposed to be doing (hopefully better) and not Roserade's job.

Thanks a lot for the rate, I shall try out the Snorlax, and I have a feeling that it probably is going to work better than Cofagrigus :]
  7. PokeGyarados

PokeGyarados

Yea, I agree the change from Aerial Ace to HP Ice on Mienshao. Aerial Ace doesnt really cover much that HP Ice already covers, except for Sp.Def Roserade. And being able to cover Gligar is pretty cool :)

(Btw yea I was suggesting Snorlax over Roserade before because I thought it was still Sp.Def -.-)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)