1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

The Greatest Puns in Pokemon Anime History

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Doomsday, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

The translation team of the Pokemon anime is suberb. What more proof could you want than all those awesome puns in the episode names? Some are amazing. Some are terrible. Some are godawful. But they're all worth reading.

Episodes that, taken out of context, could easily be the names for pokemon hentai episodes

#414 - Hooked on Onix
    awesome mental image

#214 - Takin' It On The Chinchou!
    what!!

Episodes that capitalize on musical/literary references

#582 - Another One Gabites the Dust
    AND ANOTHER ONE BAGON AND ANOTHER BAGON
    ANOTHER ONE GABITES THE DUST

#247 - Will the Real Oak Please Stand Up?
    "Prof. Oak, I'm sick of him, look at him, walkin around grabbin his you-know-what, flippin the you-know-who"
    "Yeah, but he's got a charmander!!!!"

#293 - Stairway to Devon!
    There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is goldeen, and she's buying a stairway to Devon.

#229 - For Ho-oh the Bells Toll
    Take a look to the sky, just before you die,
    it's a fucking ho-oh

Really dumb ones that make me laugh

#581 - Hold The Phione
    <Mekkah> I Just Can't Manaphygure This Out!

#119 - Dont Touch That 'Dile
    What's their obsession with phone puns, anyway? :(

#261 - Entei at Your Own Risk
    yeah

#188 - UnBEARable
    come on you know this was coming

ok so this was just to give this thread a headstart. go search your own OR, even better - make your own pokemon pun! winner gains a Manatrophy.
  2. Thorns

Thorns

That pink Rhyhorn is a sweetie, really, it's usually shy!

Well I guess it's a SHYhorn.
  3. Olie

Olie

#209 - Got Miltank!

#342 - Exploud and Clear!

#346 - The Garden of Eatin'!
  4. JabbaTheGriffin

JabbaTheGriffin Stormblessed
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Having problems sleeping and shitting? Take a Snorlaxative!
  5. Mekkah

Mekkah
    is a Super Moderatoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Super Moderator

I have provided episode summaries as if these were real episodes on Doomsday's request.

This Class Is Ludicolo's!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] when they meet a girl who seems to have picked up training Lotads and Lombres. Ash uses their Pokedex to identify them while Brock is dragged off by his ears by Misty. Not only are they taught how to fight, but also how to do rescue operations in case they run into one in a million water Pokemon who cannot swim. Misty's Psyduck cannot swim and is saved. Brock says he’d save the girl anyday if she fell into the water, but Misty drags him off by his ears. Team Rocket tries to steal them all, but one of the Lombres evolves into Ludicolo and all the Pokemon use their Water Gun attack (which has like four times as much power in the anime) and they blast off again (WOBBA!). Togepi is pretty cute in this episode.

Other ones:
    We Are The BronZORG!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] when they meet a girl who seems to have picked up training Bronzors. Not only are they taught how to fight, but also how to behave if they ever get into space. Because they are somehow space related, according to Ash, who has used his Pokedex to identify them while Brock is dragged off by his ears by Misty for saying he wouldn’t mind taking a spaceshuttle for two with the girl. Then they Team Rocket who tries to steal them all, with Meowth claiming resistance is futile. However one of the Bronzor evolves into Bronzong and all the Pokemon use their Gyro Ball attack, and they blast off again (WOBBA!). Togepi is pretty cute in this episode.

This Pizza...Bellossomo!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] (which has an Italian theme about it) when they meet a person who seems to have picked up training Gloom. Not only are they taught how to fight, but they are also trained to give off certain odors. According to Dexter, Gloom can evolve both into Vileplume and Bellossom. By the way, this person is a girl, Brock says the girl smells better than all pretty odors in the world put together, and is subsequently dragged off by his ears by Misty. Then they Team Rocket who tries to steal them all, with James having an obsession over pizza’s. However one of the Glooms touches a Sun Stone and becomes Bellossom, and all the Pokemon use their Solar Beam attack, and they blast off again (WOOOOOBBA!). Togepi is pretty cute in this episode.

A Butterfree Zone!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] when they meet a girl who organizes a bug catching contest. Not only are they not allowed to fight in the park, but they are have to catch a Pokemon to get out or have to wait until the time is up which is somehow determined by how many steps to take. Brock denotes that he would love to take an infinite amount of steps with the girl, just before Misty drags him off by his ears. Ash wants to leave his Butterfree behind here but then Team Rocket comes to capture all the Bug Pokemon. All the Bug Pokemon use their Signal Beam attack (even if they cannot learn it) and they blast off again (WOBBA!). Togepi is pretty cute in this episode.

Cha-Totally!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] when they meet a person who trains Chatot to talk to trainers, but he is unsuccessful because as Dexter says, all they can do is imitate short strings of sound made by their trainers. Since Brock is not a homo, Misty dragged him off by his ears for nothing. Team Rocket decides to steal all the Chatot just so that Jesse can teach them to tell her she’s beautiful 24/7, but the Chatot all decide to use Drill Peck on their balloon and soon enough they are blasting off again (WOBBA!). Togepi is pretty cute in this episode.

I'm Not Sure If I Am Clef-Able To Do That!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] when they meet a female who tries to get consistent results out of Clefairy and Clefable’s Metronome attack. She has written down all the moves she got out of them so far, and Brock just has to mention that is not even half of the love letters he would write to her. This comment got him dragged off by his ears by Misty. Dexter says Metronome can technically pick any attack. Ash is totally fasnicated, and just when the group wants to help the research, Team Rocket comes in and tries to steal all the Pokemon. The Clefairy and Clefable all try to attack, but all they can do is Metronome which isn’t helping. But then Togepi’s Metronome summons a Hyper Beam which penetrates their balloon and soon they are blasting off again (WOBBA!). Indeed, Togepi is pretty cute in this episode. But also useful. Ash concludes one of the Clefables must have used Hyper Beam.

A Clever Combee-Nation!
    Ash and company are on their way to [new city which may or may not have a gym] when they meet a girl who checks if the Combees she catches by luring them with honey have penises or vaginas, which can be used to determine whether they evolve or not. Since Ash is confused, he looks Combee up on the Pokédex, who tells him that only female Combees can evolve into Vespiquen. Before Brock can decide whether to say “you are my Vespiqueen” or “you are sweet as honey, honey”, he is dragged off by his ears by Misty. Team Rocket tries to lure all the Combee into a not so cleverly designed trap with honey, but one of the Combees evolves into Vespiquen and they all attack at once with their Attack Order. Sure enough, they are blasting off again (WOBBA!). Togepi is sooooo cute in this episode. ^_^

If No One Can, Kangas Can!
    Ash and company finally arrive in [new city which turns out not to have a gym], which has a Safari Zone of sorts. He catches unlimited Tauros, and meets up with a girl and her Kangaskhan, who, as Dexter says, can carry a baby in its pouch. Brock feels the need to mention that she could have his babies, and Misty drags him off by his ears. Team Rocket appears and tries to catch all the Safari Zone Pokemon, and since sending out unlimited Tauros is unfair, Kangaskhan makes them blast off again (WOBBA!) with her Hyper Beam attack. Togepi sure as hell is cute in this episode.
  6. Mountain Dewgong

Mountain Dewgong

*Username*

Google came up with this:
    [​IMG]
    And I Pikachu while you are showering... Haha
  7. Steeler

Steeler

"To Combee or not to Combee, That is the Question"
  8. Wishy

Wishy

203 - Doin' What Comes Natu-rally!

this one makes me cringe >_o

225 - Throwing in the Noctowl!

it took me a few times to understand what the fuck they meant
    251 - I Politoed You So!

no you didn't!

285 - Taming of the Shroomish

bahahah wow...

317 - What You Seed is What You Get

kids, don't go around planting your seed anywhere, or else you'll get stuck with a plant you probably don't want

572 - Sleepless in Prebattle

it's funny how the show is aimed at little kids, yet has so many references to pop culture and movies / shows / etc before their time

Edit:
    569 - Barry's Busting Out All Over!

he just can't control himself around dawn!
  9. choice sombrero

choice sombrero

''So Near, Yet So Farfetch'd"

"Lights, Camera, Quack-tion!"

These are really creeping me out:pirate:

"A Farfetch'd Tale" NOOO!!!!! Enough farfetch'd puns!
  10. FalconPunch

FalconPunch

This one is very Retarded yet I still lol'd
  11. darkie

darkie mfw i see alison brie
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Super Moderatoris a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus
    Public Relations

i thought it was pretty Good
  12. hydrolphin

hydrolphin

#459-Aipom and Circumstance

#157-Forrest Grumps

#255-Great Bowls of Fire

And they appear to be getting lazy...

#202-Turning over a new Bayleef

#302-Turning over a Nuzleaf

And this puts an odd picture in your head:
    #445-Three Jynx and a Baby
  13. Ash Borer

Ash Borer Throttle Chopper

It's odd that there is a metallica reference in pokemon...
  14. Doomsday

Doomsday
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

For Whom the Bell Tolls is a novel, metallica referenced the book. I just went that way because i thought it would be funnier!

although they have referenced Queen and Led Zeppelin before so i wouldnt be surprised
  15. Ash Borer

because I want to contribute...

25 - "Primeape Goes Bananas"

primeape is a monkey like pokemon, so monkeys + bananas?

26 - "Pokémon Scent-sation!"

-.-

34 - "The Kangaskhan Kid"

This is not a karate kid reference?

92 - "The Joy Of Pokémon"

The joy of what?

63 - "The Battle of the Badge"

Lame.
  16. reyscarface

reyscarface
    is a Tiering Contributoris Smogon Frontier's Tower Tycoondefeated the Smogon Frontier

"Enter Galactic"

Seems they actually really referenced Metallica
  17. BoozeVGC

BoozeVGC

Yeah, this one kind of makes sense if you put the i infront of the P. Hold the iPhone :P

#147, a Farfetch'd Tale
  18. robalo

robalo

This is referencing the Battle of the Bulge, right?
  19. Ash Borer

seems likely, but a WWII reference in pokemon o_o
  20. Garchomp of the Funk

Garchomp of the Funk

Episode 57 - The Breeding Center Secret
    obviously the secret is that there’s pokemon breeding going on inside of it...

Episode 86 (jp) - Lapras in Bonds!
    I think we have a different Firebot thread for this...

Episode 131 - (jp) Blissey The Happy Nurse!
    we all knew she was a whore. see previous comment...

Episode 155 - Love, The Totodile Style.
    is that like doggy style but wetter and toothier?

Episode 181 - The Apple Corp
    my new iPorygon3GS is cost 99999 coins! see also: lawsuits.

Episode 269 - Love, Pokemon Style!
    again?
    Episode 281 - In the Knicker of Time!
    more potential hentai...

Episode 343 - Go Go Ludicolo!
    I don’t think anyone actually wants to see go-go ludicolo, but whatever...

Episode 487 (jp) - I Got a Pachirisu! Is That Ok??
    not unless its IVs are 31/X/31/31/31/31

Episode 483 (jp) - The Wild Jenny and her Partner Chatot
    more hentai?
  21. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

Why do I immediately think of [​IMG]
  22. BARILLIAN

BARILLIAN

Oh, you clearly haven't noticed the Japanese titles.

463 - The Unbeatable Lightness Of Seeing!
    What the shit.
    313 - Beauty & The Beast! Shiftry & Nurse Joy!
    Now that is clearly creepy.
    207 - Kecleon Is Somewhere! Pokémon That Cannot Be Seen
    Oh no.
    185 The 5 Eevee Sisters! Tea Party Battle!
    I suppose it's something like a food fight, except with tea.
    592 - Pokémon PingPong Competition! Ambipom Perseveres!!
    Of course he does, he has four fucking hands. They're making it sound like he's Tankred.
    487 - I Got a Pachirisu! Is That Ok??
    IVs?
    568 - Turtwig, Grotle...& Torterra!
    Why the suspense? I'd get it if it was Turtwig, Grotle...& Rayquaza!, but that's a bit of a downer.
  23. SMZ

SMZ

The Breeding Center Secret
    So, the old day care man should know by now...

Tracey Gets Bugged

Kind of a bad pun...

Tanks Alot

O..K....
  24. CardsOfTheHeart

CardsOfTheHeart

#113 - Viva Las Lapras

Because whenever I think of Lapras, the first thing that always comes to mind is Las Vegas... (and then Elvis)

#141 - Good 'Quil Hunting

The writers thought "Cyndaquil! Catch It!!" wasn't interesting enough so they decided to reference a 1997 movie starring Matt Damon. ...How many kids watched that movie?

#159 - A Dairy Tale Ending

[​IMG]

A bunch of these titles make me want to bang my head against a wall...
  25. Broth3r

Broth3r

meh ionno...

#80R3D - Law & Shellder

The story of the brave investigators who send teh crooks to the clamp.

#1337 - Sex in the Gastly

Chick flick, bah

#4WFUL - Seaking Live

The 2 hours of prime time with the most fuck yeas! and wrinkles...

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)