The Highlander Tournament III [Round 1]

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

The Highlander Tournament III
Approved by Quite Quiet

Introduction: A few years ago Birkal and Macle decided to have a one on one battle between their respective SPL mascots which were scrafty and toxicroak respectively. A huge amount of work was needed to decide the optimal spreads/movesets for their respective mascots and the battle can be found here.

Concept: The tournament is set up that you pick and post three Pokemon when you sign up for the tournament. You can only pick one of each individual Pokemon, but a different player can have the same Pokemon as you (e.g. you can't have two Alakazam, but someone else can pick Alakazam if you pick it too; also, you can only pick one forme for Pokemon like Rotom or Alolan ones). Chosen Pokemon have to be Overused and under; no Ubers are allowed. Each round, every player picks one of their opponent's three Pokemon to battle that round. They PM that choice to me, and once both players have relayed the opposing Pokemon to face in PM, I will declare it in the thread. At that point, both players can start preparing for their match. Picking like this occurs through every round. For simplicity's sake and due to the nature of 1v1 battling causing severe emphasis on megas/crystals and how there is no opportunity cost for having a mega or a Z-Crystal, all mega stones and Z-crystals are banned.

Also, it'd be awesome if each player kept their designed sets for when they are eliminated. They shouldn't reveal anything about the nature of the battle, but moreso why they prepared that Pokemon in the manner they did for that specific threat. It's cool for onlookers to see the mental process behind this stuff. If you can reveal it in these threads without giving away any of the opponent's strategy, I'm sure our viewers would love to see the sets utilized.

Tournament Rules:
  • All normal tournament rules apply, and you should make yourself acquainted of them. As such, there's a link to the aforementioned thread up in this post;
  • Standard SM Overused;
  • The banlists for this tournament are the same as the Pokemon Showdown's Overused ladder, this means that you cannot use Pokémon, moves or abilities that are not allowed in said ladder at the start of the tournament, this means that no further bans will be taken into account - so if you pick a Pokémon and it ends up getting banned it will not be replaced by another one;
  • Matches should happen either on Pokemon Showdown or Smogtours;
  • Post three Pokemon in this thread when you sign up for the tournament. They will remain as your only Pokemon throughout the entirety of the tournament;
  • You must send a Private Message to user Mr. Perry at the beginning of each round with which of your opponent's Pokemon you'd like to battle;
  • Do not battle until both you and your opponent have their selection revealed in this thread because it will not count!

Battle Rules:
Format: SM Overused - Singles Mode - Best of One (BO1).
Mandatory Clauses: Species Clause, Sleep Clause, Evasion Clause, OHKO Clause, Self-KO Clause (Destiny Bond, Explosion, Final Gambit, Perish Song, Selfdestruct, and other such moves are banned), Battle Timeout and Endless Battle Clause.
Activity: I expect all matches to be done within a week or less, thus activity wins will only be granted when the lack of activity is blatant or similar cases. All matches that do not fit this criteria shall be decided by coin fliping.

• Before VMing your opponent please read the 1st post! (aka under this one);
  • All Pokémon are stored here - please pay attention to the 1st post and I will explain it a little bit more!

Round 1

JakeMoran12 [Mew] vs. [Greninja] Rare Poison
FLCL [Mew] vs. [Togekiss] lelkekxD
Quantum Tesseract [Whimsicott] vs. [Landorus-T] darksylvion
Mimolette [Venusaur] vs. [Greninja] Adam the first
Pearl [Porygon2] vs. [Kyurem-B] Dartrix - Joker
0kay [Greninja] vs. [Donphan] CriticalMeme
Meru vs. Lycanyte
Brancus [Slowking] vs. [Marowak-A] Gross Sweep
Mondrian [Kyurem-B] vs. [Latios] CrystalRam
Godfather 4 vs. Vai Lusa
Melle2402 vs. Qplaz
voltix31 vs. Omfuga
blunder [Kyurem-B] vs. [Heatran] Hax the Gam3
Umen Berker [Gourgheist XL] vs. [Clefable] HQuaze
Skipkan vs. We Three Kings
JeromeSeiko [Heatran] vs. [Kyurem-B] Oshawott Fan
King Wynaut [Lucario] vs. [Togekiss] HotFuzzBall
atomicllamas [Dragonite] vs. [Venusaur] babidi1998
Baloor vs. Malekith
RedEmptionMc [Magearna] vs. [Tapu Lele] Whammerist
alessio96 [Tapu Bulu] vs. [Mew] matthewc20090
Tele vs. Temperarious
Haruno [Cresselia] vs. [Kyurem-B] FlamingVictini
Brammi vs. Bedschibaer
The Idiot Ninja [Tapu Bulu] vs. [Mew] ABR
Pynewacket [Pheromosa] vs. [Dragonite] Quint_
Bull Of Heaven [Clefable] vs. [Mew] Star
GunGunJ [Mew] vs. [Suicune] michaeloche
Silver_Lucario42 [Cryogonal] vs. [Cresselia] rozes
HSOWA [Jirachi] vs. [Gengar] Moonclawz
sugarhigh [Tapu Fini] vs. [Mew] Arifeen
Lbix [Togekiss] vs. [Mew] Megazard
senpie [Jirachi] vs. [Volcarona] MiyoKa
Alf' [Infernape] vs. [Clefable] Floppy
insult vs. PassablyFleek
Googly [Sableye] vs. [Infernape] Agammemnon
Ralof101 vs. pokebasket
mulgokizary [Celesteela] vs. [Tapu Bulu] TopLel TopKek
Aki Kino [Tapu Koko] vs. [Weavile] KratosMana
double switches [Thundurus-I] vs. [Kyurem-B] hoblaph
Holiday [Cresselia] vs. [Clefable] Aquarium1
Flares. [Weavile] vs. [Whimsicott] Knuckstrike
HANTSUKI [Arcanine] vs. [Mamoswine] jas61292
Tony [Bewear] vs. [Azelf] GOAO
Hayburner [Tapu Koko] vs. [Greninja] Empo
Robb576 [Dragonite] vs. [Kommo-o] Get this Money
Vinc2612 vs. Bye
knkb [Kyurem-B] vs. [Chansey] groudon518

Deadline is Sunday 19/02/2017 at 23:59 GMT -2!

Last edited:

Perry

slayer
is a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So, this is how you should proceed:

• First step: You VM your opponent in their message wall, and after that you PM me the Pokémon you want YOUR OPPONENT to use. This is a two-way process, and your opponent must do the same - they will choose the Pokémon YOU ARE GOING TO USE. Like, Player X chose [Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu] while Player Y chose [Azurill, Marill, Azumarill]. Player X PMs me saying he wants Y to use Marill while Y chooses Pikachu for Player X. Simple, right?
  • The whole thing above must be done until Thursday 16/02 at 23:59 GMT -3, otherwise the one who didn't PM me is straight up DQed from the tour!
  • To know which Pokémon from your opponent you may choose, click here.
  • After both players have PMed me, I will announce in the thread the matchup and then you're free to battle.
  • Just a reminder: all Mega Stones are Z-Crystals are BANNED from this tour - if you actively use one the match is forfeit and it's up to your opponent to accept a rematch or not.

I think that's it, any doubts PLEASE PM/VM me, so we can avoid problems!! :]

IMPORTANT TOO:
[There are 5 blank spots, if you want to join just post three Pokémon and I will pair you up with someone!]

Good luck to all! :]

Last edited:

Perry

slayer
ABR it's not banned, you're free to run whatever strategy you think the best w/out megas or z-moves.
Also, this was the same ruling of the first tour so I've decided to keep it for consistency sake!

@ pairings after subs:
Robb576 vs. Get this Money
knkb vs. groudon518

Er, my bad but I didn't get your question HotFuzzBall. Your opponent from r2 (considering you win) will choose a Pokémon for you as well (it might be the same or not, who knows), and then you gotta think in a whole new strategy. If that wasn't your question, please lemme know ;~;

Last edited:

Perry

slayer
that's right, i guess there are far too many togekisses this round smh, sorry for the inconvenience!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)