The Hunger Metagames - Winner: asterat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
in

please remove OU monotype because it's completely matchup relaint and thus uncompetitive.
As someone who plays a lot of OU mono, I can say that this isn't entirely true. Sure there's good and bad matchups, however there's no matchup that's entirely unwinnable. Flying with talon vs. grass or bug maybe used to be hard, but even then wasn't impossible, and talon got banned to make it a much better environment.

I spent 5 minutes looking for replays where the type disadvantage wins, here you go:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oumonotype-611958 (psychic beats steel)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oumonotype-609806 (grass beats flying, disadvantage if you ever saw one).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-128040534 (ground vs. flying near the top of the ladder).

And yes they're all Kaiser, that's cuz he's good enough not to care if it's a type disadvantage or not. I've got to say, when you get to a certain level the typings stop mattering anywhere near as much because it's always possible to counter disadvantages.

tl;dr please don't remove mono simply because of the type disadvantages it's possible to get.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let the games begin! And may the odds be ever in your favour.

To move into the zone, you have until tomorrow 10am EST to PM me. When PMing me, please use the title Hunger Metagames: Zone X, where X is the zone number you want to move into.

In addition, The Immortal has updated the OU Theorymon ladder. Instead of using all past theorymons, we will be using May and June theorymons only.

If you still want to sign up, please do so before Night 0 ends and PM me your zone at the same time.

The OU Theorymon zone will consist the following additions:
Braviary + Extremespeed
Tangrowth + Poison type
Blastoise + Slack Off
Hydreigon + Defog
Zygarde + Shed Skin
Torterra + Drought
Aggron + Shift Gear

Last edited:
Let the games begin! And may the odds be ever in your favour.

To move into the zone, you have until tomorrow 10am EST to PM me. When PMing me, please use the title Hunger Metagames: Zone X, where X is the zone number you want to move into.

In addition, The Immortal has updated the OU Theorymon ladder. Instead of using all past theorymons, we will be using May and June theorymons only.

If you still want to sign up, please do so before Night 0 ends and PM me your zone at the same time.

The OU Theorymon zone will consist the following additions:
Braviary + Extremespeed
Tangrowth + Poison type
Blastoise + Slack Off
Hydreigon + Defog
Zygarde + Shed Skin
Torterra + Drought
Aggron + Shift Gear
but...but... my entire team is from before that T^T....

As someone who plays a lot of OU mono, I can say that this isn't entirely true. Sure there's good and bad matchups, however there's no matchup that's entirely unwinnable. Flying with talon vs. grass or bug maybe used to be hard, but even then wasn't impossible, and talon got banned to make it a much better environment.

I spent 5 minutes looking for replays where the type disadvantage wins, here you go:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oumonotype-611958 (psychic beats steel)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-oumonotype-609806 (grass beats flying, disadvantage if you ever saw one).
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oumonotype-128040534 (ground vs. flying near the top of the ladder).

And yes they're all Kaiser, that's cuz he's good enough not to care if it's a type disadvantage or not. I've got to say, when you get to a certain level the typings stop mattering anywhere near as much because it's always possible to counter disadvantages.

tl;dr please don't remove mono simply because of the type disadvantages it's possible to get.
Those aren't pretty good replays, he had some not very smart opponents (Mega Evolving Gyarados, turning his Grass neutrality into a weakness against a Mono-Grass team and with no use for Mold Breaker either; Aqua Jet Empoleon that also uses Ice Beam instead of STAB against Meloetta) and hax (Landorus's Focus Miss, which OHKOs Ferrothorn).

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
Either way I won't be removing it, because there are ways to cover your weaknesses unlike 1v1 and CC which are impossible to do so for everything other threat.

Reactions: DoW
Either way I won't be removing it, because there are ways to cover your weaknesses unlike 1v1 and CC which are impossible to do so for everything other threat.
Please explain to me how a mono steel team can defeat a mono fire team... Or a mono psychic team can defeat a mono dark team (and don't say gardevoir ffs.)

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
mono Steel teams can easily scarf the Exca and/or Heatran to gain a good matchup vs Fire teams. as for mono Psychic, using Mega Gardevoir is pretty much a good way to threaten most mono Dark mons, and you can tack on stuff like Meloetta as well. Monotype teams may have bad matchups but there certainly are ways to cover up your weaknesses; you can get as creative as you like and run random resist berries or super effective coverage on every mon. alternatively, you can just hope you're not unlucky enough to pick the monotype zone!

Please explain to me how a mono steel team can defeat a mono fire team... Or a mono psychic team can defeat a mono dark team (and don't say gardevoir ffs.)
Heatran would be very useful. Aegislash and Excadrill could be a threat even with the weaknesses. Gallade, Medicham, Dazzling Gleam Alakazam, and Gardevoir can all deal with dark types. My mono bug team has beaten fire, flying, and rock monos with little problems before. My mono poison had beaten mono ground.

Reactions: DoW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)