The Inverse Battle ǝɯɐƃɐʇǝɯ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Approved by me.

If you've played through XY, you've probably met this weird guy who says he has the power to inverse the typechart. You fight him and pwn him and his maison sets. Well, now you can own and be owned by other players in Showdown in the now famous new OM of the Month
Inverse Battle ǝɯɐƃɐʇǝɯ

What's this about? Well, the typechart gets basically inverted. x0.5 attacks become x2, x2 attacks become x0.5, immune or x0 attacks become x2 (sense, it makes none), and x1 attacks keep being x1. Ability immunities and non typechart related immunities still remain in play.

Ruleset
Inverse Battle uses the Standard ruleset: HP Percentage Mod, Sleep Clause, Species Clause, Moody Clause, Evasion Abilites-Moves Clause.

Banlist
All Unreleased Pokémon are banned.
Soul Dew
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys-A
Gengarite
Giratina (both formes)
Ho-Oh
Kangaskhanite
Kyogre
Kyurem-B
Mewtwo (and its megas)
Palkia
Rayquaza
Shaymin-S
Xerneas
Yveltal
Zekrom

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Oh god, battling the guy in the game was hard enough to get your head around...

This is going to be a whole other playing field D:

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Screw you Joim I was gonna suggest this >:IIIIIII

So what are goning to be the new meta-defining threats? Well, Return/Frustration will be the best possible coverage for all Physical sweepers (or Espeed, if you learn it), because it's now unresisted. Normal types also have only 1 weakness, but very few resistances to make up for it. Dragon types also only hit 1 thing super-effectively with their STAB normally (other Dragons), so it's also a great offensive typing. In terms of defense? Celebi is the new Scizor counter, resisting Bug Bite 4x and only really taking super-effective damage from superpower. It's also a god-tier sun counter with special defense investment. Note that steel types have been seen crying in a corner somewhere, for now they are the absolute worst defensive typing. Ferrothorn's a dedicated sun counter though (but has to watch out for solarbeam), so at least it has a purpose besides spikes/SR/leech seed.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I agree Normal STAB will be amazing in this metagame. Looking forward Specs Exploud + Specs Adaptability PorygonZ to destroy some teams.

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
Shedinja. Screwing with so many people's minds. Then again, Normal hits it supereffectively. Normal's gonna be the new Dragon.

Avalugg is going to be godlike with this awesome ice typing, weak only to itself, epic 95/184 defense and access to Rapid Spin and Recover.
Linoone too. If he gets the chance of a belly drum is pretty much gg.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
IDK if it's on purpose but everything that's XY unreleased is currently banned on PS in this meta. Sounds like that's not the case but idk.

Edit: Ran into the first person using just Ubers. If they can run this shit I should be able to use Mega Kanga lol

Last edited:

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, my first impression after a few battles is this: Staraptor is god. There is literally nothing in the game that can switch into it, and it can run all sorts of sets and options due to only needing 1 move to break everything in the metagame. Choice (Scarf especially) has been my favorite so far:

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf / Choice Band
Reckless
252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant
- Double-Edge
- Pick Three: U-Turn/Return/Quick Attack/Pursuit/Brave Bird

Reckless Double-Edge is what makes this guy so scary. There are very few Pokemon in the entire game that can take more than one from the Scarf set, and absolutely zero that can from the Band. It can come in as a revenge killer, but, even if the opponent switches out, it is almost guaranteed to net a kill on whatever switches in instead. It is just such a good move that there is little reason to ever click anything besides it. Because of that, you can then use the other three moveslots for utility moves. U-Turn is always awesome, and the coverage it provides is even nicer in inverse battles. While usually you'd rather just Double-Edge and kill something, if you think they will switch and want to keep Staraptor alive longer, its a valuable move to have. Return is a similar case. While the lack of Reckless boost and lower power usually make it inferior, if you need to stay alive longer, it is a viable alternative. Quick Attack is better for a Band set than a Scarf one, but in either case it provides insurance on the things you can't outspeed. Pursuit is an option for trapping, as sometimes killing what is in now is more important than taking out the switch-in. Again, more situational, but a nice option to have. Finally Brave Bird is there because its just about the only pure offensive move of note. Doesn't hit much that you don't already get, but it is the only option you have that is even close to being worth hitting over Double-Edge, as it is your best option on bulky Electrics (no idea if those are that common, but again, it has all it needs in one moveslot, so it has room for options).

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
IDK if it's on purpose but everything that's XY unreleased is currently banned on PS in this meta. Sounds like that's not the case but idk.

Edit: Ran into the first person using just Ubers. If they can run this shit I should be able to use Mega Kanga lol
You can't use unreleased in the game against the guy and ubers are totally different due to typechart. We'll see what's bannable and what's nto bannable.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
1st one out of provisional and #1 on inverse ladder I guess

Xerneas is dumb. Volc is pretty dumb too. Normal offense is as hilariously good as it sounds. Dragons are still good in this meta since they can get basically perfect coverage. Idk may analyze more but I'm pretty wiped out from thinking after like 3 hours of inverse lol

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, also got enough to get out of provisional, and I can confirm that Xerneas is stupidly good. Its not as ridiculous as it might be due to there being a ton of physical priority running around, but even then it is still the best thing in the meta. Mewtwo is in the same boat. Ridiculous, but not completely metagame shattering due to the priority and stuff. Never personally been all that impressed with Volcarona though, but that may be because it basically functions as Xerneas, but worse in every way.

I think the pokemon that is most important right now though is Avalugg. You practically need an Avalugg on your team to not be destroyed by the Normal physical attackers. All the other Pokemon with great physical bulk are weak to Normal, so can't tank hits at all. Avalugg is helped out a ton by its Ice typing which has a sole weakness to other Ice types, which are not all that common on the physical side. Honestly, whenever I see a team without Avalugg, I know this battle is going to be a hell of a lot easier because they won't be able to have anything switch into my Staraptor.

jas61292

used substitute
So... seriously... what are the bans for this format? I've been playing a ton, and I still have no idea. The list in the OP is clearly not accurate to what is on server. It seems to me right now that Pokemon not available in XY are banned ("Your team was rejected for the following reasons: - Latios (Latios) is unreleased."). Yet at the same times, guys who are available can use moves that they can't actually get in XY (just faced Drain Punch Mewtwo). That clearly makes no sense.

Either way, Xerneas and Mewtwo are so broken, and absolutely ruin this meta right now. Whatever banlist the game is supposed to have, those two really need to get on it.

Also, why would Ho-Oh be banned but not the other 680s? Like its not any better than them. Its STABs great but not ridiculous, and its stats are a lot less scary than some of the others.

Last edited:

Pikachuun

My 2 cents about what should be banned, with reasons why:
All the ubers. Seriously; a lot of people spam them.
Volcarona. There were only two things stopping it: Stealth Rock, and Heatran. With perfect coverage now, it just destroys everything including Heatran, and now quad-resists SR. It's Special Ho-Oh on roids!
Talonflame: Ho-Oh on roids v2. Quad resists SR. Return hits everything at least neutrally. Priority Brave Bird and Roost. Need I say more?
The only real counters to these 2 are grass types, which Volc hits super-effectively anyway (Giga Drain)

More biased thing that I think should be banned:
Kyub: I think Kyub is overpowered, and with its new resistance to SR, that just adds to the reasons I want it Uber.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
At this point we just need to go full OM and just add in all the unreleased mons and then just remove 670+ mons. This meta is so dumb with its current banlist that it's just not enjoyable dealing with Mewtwo and shit, and not having unreleased mons really restricts the creativity. It's just no fun and this meta will be dead when Pokebank finally hits due to it not being OM of the month anymore, so just do it already so this meta actually will have an opportunity to be good.

Joim

Pixels matter
This other meta was designed to be as close to the in-game battle as possible. Ho-Oh was banned because it's only stopping point SR, is now a strong point. Kangaskhan-Mega is banned for obvious reasons. All unreleased mons are banned until pokebank is out.

Feel free to discuss bans for other mons on #othermetas. I will probably ban Mewtwo and Xerneas soon (maybe today).

I don't have to game, but how does residual damage work? does sandstorm damage Rock,Steel, and Ground types and all other types are immune? are posion and steel types still immune to Toxic?

I don't have to game, but how does residual damage work? does sandstorm damage Rock,Steel, and Ground types and all other types are immune? are posion and steel types still immune to Toxic?
No. The type chart remains unchanged apart from the numbers on it. Poison and Steel types are still immune to poisoning, Fire types are still immune to burning, Electric and Ground types are still immune to paralysis, Grass types are still immune to Leech Seed and powder moves, Ice types are still immune to freezing and from Hail damage, Rock and Ground and Steel types are still immune to Sandstorm damage, Ghost types are still immune to trapping moves/abilities, and Flying types are still immune to Spikes, Toxic Spikes, and Arena Trap.

Banlist
There's only a few bans, namely Ho-Oh, Kangaskhanite, and Arceus formes.
All Unreleased Pokémon are banned.
Um, with all due respect, isn't banning Arceus and banning unreleased Pokémon totally redundant?

You know, considering that Arceus is unreleased. (Edit: Same with Ho-Oh.)

Tbh i thought this meta would be fun, but it's almost just like Ubers. Xernes and Mewtwo's are all I'm seeing. People are literally using the same teams.

Pikachuun

Tbh i thought this meta would be fun, but it's almost just like Ubers. Xernes and Mewtwo's are all I'm seeing. People are literally using the same teams.
To be fair, they haven't been banned yet (No idea why). So it's basically Ubers with inverse type-charts atm ;-;

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I haven't played much of this but in gen5 i played a lot. Curselax is amazing, no weakness, great STAB, gunk shot for good coverage and after a couple boosts its basically GG. U-turn is really good to abuse, because everything seems to get hit hard which helps scizor out a lot. Steel is amazing and so is bug, but it looses a good defensive typing. (imma count this as getting a omotm, dont understand, look at signature).

Reactions: EV
This is a pretty fun meta. I've laddered into the top 15 and it's really quite fun. Some pokemon who were really good become worse (Scizor, Ferrothorn), some pokemon who had terrible typing are now really good (Articuno, 4x resist to rock, only 3 weaknesses, fantastic bulk), and some pokemon stay very good (Mewtwo, Chansey). Normal is probably the best attacking type in the game, and Ice is the best defensive type. Having a very powerful U-turn and unresisted volt switches to throw around is also very fun.

I haven't personally used any ubers, but I might consider using them. The sheer stats and move coverage that they have are great.

Joim

Pixels matter
After considering it for a while, watching battles, etc., I've added bans to Xerneas and Mewtwo. More bans might follow.
Arceus is unreleased, but it will remain banned in a month when we unban unreleased... It's redundant now, but will avoid possible mistakes when unbanning unreleased mons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)