XY OU The Last Hurrah

The Last Hurrah!

With the advent of ORAS OU and XY OU coming to a close I thought I'd post my first RMT highlighting the best of XY OU in my opinion. Please note that everything on this team is what I think were the best aspects of XY OU, of course opinions will differ but that's why you can post below n_n

So since this team is showcasing the best of XY OU I wanted to start with my favourite mega evolution; Mega Pinsir. This thing has monstrous attack and speed, aerilate just makes everything that much more threatening. The free life orb and flying stab for return and quick attack is icing on the cake.

So now I needed something to support Pinsir, what better than Latios? With access to defog and hidden power fire no Ferrothorn is gonna mess with this guy(apart from that annoying one with the SpDef EVs). But this also leaves the team susceptible to scarfed Terrakion as well, so enter team member #3

Oh Landorus-Therian, the god of OU. This pokemon is one of the most reliable pokemon in ou, and of course, my aim was to use this guy to deal with scarfed Terrakion so the scarfed set was the best option. He also conveniently hurts most fire and rock types that'd threaten Pinsir, namely Mega Charizard-X. And Talonflame, man this guy does everything doesn't he?

So now that I have Pinsir's bodyguards complete lets move onto some supporting pokemon, Ferrothorn is my favourite defensive/support pokemon. Sets up hazards and hurts all u-turners, I went for the thunder wave just to cripple pokemon as they try to switch around to get a better matchup

Now my reasoning behind Keldeo was that this guy is just a threat and a half, nothing but a threat. It also has great synergy with the rest of the team as it has huge special attack and very good speed allowing it to mirror the team's physical power in Mega Pinsir and Landorus-Therian to form a duo of strong, fast special attackers with Latios.

Gengar is a great spinblocker and has only been strengthened by the introduction of fairy types, its massive poison stab means the only thing that can really handle it is Klefki which is only 72nd on the usage stats for XY OU and Landorus can deal with it no problem.

A Closer look:

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Return
Quick Attack
Close Combat
So here's the beast, great speed and attack so max investment there, I wasn't sure whether to put the 4 into SpDef or Def but I finally settled on putting it in defence so he could take Knock Offs a little better. The moveset is the standard Smogon set, there really isn't a way you can improve on it other than maybe switching Earthquake for Close Combat but with Heatran, Tyranitar, Excadrill and many other ground-weak pokemon being so prominent on the ladder it provides better coverage, and you won't take iron barbs/rocky helmet from Ferrothorn which is always a plus.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Draco Meteor
Psyshock
Defog
Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios is just amazing, I'm using it as an offensive defogger here to deal with Ferrothorn mostly, nowadays people are aware of the HP Fire latios so they'll switch out or in fear of it. If they don't they'll have to try eat up a HP Fire from a Latios.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
EVs: 24 HP / 248 Atk / 236 Spe
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Knock Off
U-Turn

Landorus is such a versatile pokemon, its unbelievable. I use it here as a scarfed attacker and pivot, its intimidate makes it able to take most physical attacks with a smile. This is the standard scarfed Landorus-Therian set but I changed up some of the EVs mostly so that it can take U-Turns from other Landorus' better.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
Power whip
Stealth Rock
Thunder Wave
Leech Seed

So Ferrothorn is my dedicated defensive poke, and its my go to switch in when I can see a U-Turn coming. No U-Turner will hurt Ferrothorn and they'll take over 25% of their health damage by U-Turning out, combine that with accumulated Stealth Rocks damage and Ferrothorn alone can whittle away the health of 2-3 pokemon. Add to that Leech Seed and Thunder Wave and Ferrothorn becomes a very annoying pokemon.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 def / 252 spa / 252 spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Timid Nature
Hydro Pump
Secret Sword
Hidden Power [Electric]

Scald
Keldeo is a threat, there's no more to say. I have HP Electric on here because of Dragon Dance Gyarados, and then Icy Wind because fuck dragons. Icy wind is still a smart play even if you know your opponent will switch, the speed drop is something so many people overlook and it can really be a lifesaver.

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Hex
Taunt
Will-O-Wisp
Sludge Wave

Ok here's my spinblocker and the only pokemon I'm a bit iffy about whether he'd make the team or not but here he is. This Gengar set isn't anticipated a lot and even with the increased use of defog especially on Latios I still think if he doesn't get to block a spin, the poison STAB and Will-O-Wisp harassment are amazing resources.

With this, I'll end this RMT and ask for your opinions! Feel free to tear me a new one since this is my first ever RMT :]

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 248 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword

Gengar @ Black Sludge
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Sludge Wave

This is the moment when you tag all the people who've influenced your teambuilding/battling, thing is...This is my first RMT so don't get pissy if my list is so short :]

TheEnder Nigga...I've been stealing your teams for longer than you know only recently began talking to you and even though you gimme shit teams all the time :P You're a cool dude.

Tokyo Tom We've talked once or twice before but you made my favourite XY OU team ever so big props to you man, you opened my eyes to the power of Fake Out, U-Turn, Regenerator Mienshao

ben gay I hear you did a thing with that team ^ :] (Jk but I really love the team)

Last edited:
Solid team 99, just got a couple suggestions for you:

• Close Combat on Pinsir is in my and a lot of other peoples' opinion the superior choice over EQ, mainly for hitting Rotoms which look like they could be annoying for your team seeing as your Latios doesn't have recovery. CC and EQ pretty much hit the same things, but just swap some 2x SE for 4x SE on Heatran/TTar. CC's also nice for hitting Air Balloon Drills outside of sand.
  • Power Whip > Twave/Gyro Ball on Ferro. Twave + Gyro is pretty counterproductive and power whip is nice for hitting shit like Azu and Mgyara.
  • Maybe consider Specs on Keld seeing as you already have a scarfer in Lando which is arguably the best scarer in the tier atm and Specs Keld puts a lot of pressure on most teams without a dedicated counter to it.
That's it bro, not sure if you want me to post sets since these are some pretty minor changes. So yeah, congrats on the nice team once again, hope I could help

Solid team 99, just got a couple suggestions for you:

• Close Combat on Pinsir is in my and a lot of other peoples' opinion the superior choice over EQ, mainly for hitting Rotoms which look like they could be annoying for your team seeing as your Latios doesn't have recovery. CC and EQ pretty much hit the same things, but just swap some 2x SE for 4x SE on Heatran/TTar. CC's also nice for hitting Air Balloon Drills outside of sand.
  • Power Whip > Twave/Gyro Ball on Ferro. Twave + Gyro is pretty counterproductive and power whip is nice for hitting shit like Azu and Mgyara.
  • Maybe consider Specs on Keld seeing as you already have a scarfer in Lando which is arguably the best scarer in the tier atm and Specs Keld puts a lot of pressure on most teams without a dedicated counter to it.
That's it bro, not sure if you want me to post sets since these are some pretty minor changes. So yeah, congrats on the nice team once again, hope I could help
Thanks a bunch, I never even considered rotom when I made this team. I guess I will switch gyro for power whip but I think it's best to keep twave since its used to cripple pokemon and unless there's an aromatherapy user on the team it's invaluable to me. Specs is a good choice too and I debated over and over but scarf keld out speeds almost everything and I mainly want something for latios after lando goes down. But I will give some extra thought to a specs keld

MushMunkey

Banned deucer.
I think that this keldeo set is a lot more helpful considering dual scarfers isn't that great anymore and having the chance to cripple things with burn is amazing

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
Otherwise I like the team a lot I probably didn't help but I wanted to try :]

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I think that this keldeo set is a lot more helpful considering dual scarfers isn't that great anymore and having the chance to cripple things with burn is amazing

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
Otherwise I like the team a lot I probably didn't help but I wanted to try :]
IMO change HP Electric to HP Flying so you aren't walled hard by Mega Venusaur.

Pent

dumb broad
Just saying, but since you need Rotom-Wash, try HP Grass on Keldeo. It's really helpful to use along with Specs, and not a lot of Rotoms run Sp. Def.

99 you shit. Anyway, this is just a pet peeve of mine - go scarf Keldeo with Icy Wind. You ask why? The one guy who thinks sending in Mega Sceptile is a good idea is probably going to stay at 1300 and lets be honest here. Mega Swampert rain team gimmicks just end up being free points on the ladder when you start running these sets. Point 2: Make Latios Latias and give it healing wish - if you're going to be using Mega Pinsir I highly suggest you welcome in the healing wish support because you're gonna be needing it. Anyway nice team gl on the ladder etc etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)