ORAS Ubers The Legendaries (and Blaziken)

Hello all,
So because I'm giving basically every tier a go the time came for me to try my luck at Ubers. As per usual, I was hooked and began taking it seriously. However, as always, my team needs some help to reach its full potential, so any input would be much appreciated.

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Void
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder
Darkrai is a bit of an annoyer/special sweeper fusion. Dark Void is a great way of gaining at least one free turn, which I normally use to set up with Nasty Plot (which gives Darkrai the attacking power needed when coupled with life orb). Dark Pulse is good STAB and decent base damage, whilst thunder is nice to hit flying and water types. The SpA evs are to make sure it can hit hard enough, speed is to set up dark void more reliably.

Blaziken @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- Low Kick
- Knock Off
Blaziken is the resident Mega evolution and physical sweeper. Speed boost is broken as hell, so protect allows it to capitalise on this with a free turn to mega evolve and also gain a bit of speed. Flare Blitz is good STAB and amazing base power, low kick hits the majority of Pokemon very hard, and knock off can remove troublesome items and hit ghost types (and psychic too). Speed evs are to make speed boost more effective, attack is for more oomph.

Arceus-Grass @ Meadow Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Defog
- Grass Knot
- Stone Edge
Sort of a half assed go at a special wall, but ended up being a sort of weird (read: crap) support-special wall Pokemon. I'm sure there's a better typing for this, but it has eluded me for the past few weeks so there. Recover is for crucial HP regen. Defog doesn't really synergise well with Deoxys S but I needed someone to remove hazards. Grass Knot hits Kyogre surprisingly hard, and stone edge hits the likes of Yvetal.

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
Lugia is an amazing physical wall. Multi scale is amazing, full stop, period. Roost helps to restore multiscale, whirlwind is good for phazing and being generally annoying to any Xerneas I come across. Toxic is what it is, useful for stalling and all that jazz, and ice beam hits as an attack, not amazing but sufficient. Hp and def are simply for bulk.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
Ability: Fairy Aura
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Aromatherapy
Xerneas is vastly overpowered as a special sweeper. Geomancy sets up beautifully, and, at the ranking I'm playing in, is almost never prepared for. Moonblast capitalises on the geomancy boost. Focus Blast hits steel types that moonblast doesn't, and aromatherapy allows it to stay out through toxic burn etc.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Knock Off
Deoxys S is my entry hazard lead. Stealth Rock and Spikes wear opposing teams down quickly. Taunt can stops other leads like greninja. Knock Off attacks and removes worrying items. Atk evs boost knock off, speed makes sure it goes first. A pretty basic entry hazard set, but nonetheless effective enough.

So that's it. Again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks and Goodbye

Reactions: ckw

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi ong1324, it's great that you decided to give Ubers a try since it's a really interesting tier, but as you said there are several changes you can make as to optimize this team. The very first thing is something you've already noticed; that having a suicide hazard lead in Deo-S is counterproductive to running Defog support. When running Pokemon such as Lugia anti-hazard support is warranted, but since this is clearly not a defensive team (use of Deo-S, Darkrai, etc.) then it makes more sense to drop Lugia as to eliminate the need for anti-hazard support altogether. Arceus-Grass also doesn't really fit this build and is a major momentum sucker that also allows things like Mega Salamence to setup on your team more easily. Mega Blaziken is a hard Pokemon to justify, although it might have been (you don't say) what you were building around in the first place so I'll keep it.

To start you should replace Deoxys-S for Primal Groudon as Mega Blaze already has little defensive synergy and you can't really afford to have another mon that gets no switch-in opportunities. There is pretty much no reason not to run Primal Groudon on an offensive team anyways due to the sheer amount of role compression it provides (Xern check, P Ogre check, Ho-Oh check, SR setter, etc.). The set you should run is Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Rock Slide / Precipice Blades with a spread along the lines of 216 Atk / 216 SpD / 76 Spe / Adamant. What this set allows you to do is take Deo-S' role as a hazard setter, deter Lati switch-ins and setup sweepers with paralysis, and check opposing Xerneas. You can play around with the EVs, but anything less than the current special bulk risks being OHKOed by +2 Xern after SR.

As for your Mega Blaziken set I think Knock Off should be removed and replaced with Stone Edge so that Ho-Oh can't come in and so that Mega Salamence is pressured a bit harder to setup. You should also consider dropping Protect for Swords Dance in this case which can allow Blaze to more easily actually break opposing Pokemon, although it can be difficult to setup and the loss of Protect means a loss of a guaranteed +1 Speed. You might also want to try Hidden Power Ice, then change the nature to Naughty which 2HKOs bulky Mega Salamence and doesn't have accuracy issues like Stone Edge does, hits Gira-O a bit harder, and hits some arbitrary mons like Lando-T, but makes Ho-Oh a bit more of a problem. Losing Knock Off does make Lati slightly more threatening, but this weakness is much more easily fixed than a Mega Salamence or Ho-Oh problem.

With two Ground weaknesses and a lack of an EKiller check you should add Giratina-O. You also gain some utility in priority and having something that can emergency check Mega Salamence assuming your bulk is intact. The spread you should run is Thunder Wave / Shadow Sneak / Dragon Tail / Earthquake with 244 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe / Adamant. Thunder Wave is not very standard on this mon, but I find it sort of a necessary evil since otherwise Gira-O is something that Xern can setup on. If Xern isn't an issue and you'd rather having something like Defog you can try that too. Earthquake hammers stuff like Klefki and Mega Diancie, the first you'll want gone for Xern and the second for Blaze, while it still deals sufficient damage to P Don. You can also consider running more Speed creep on Gira-O.

In the final slot I'd suggest SD Arceus Ground, which greatly benefits from Blaze's ability to rip apart things like Skarmory and provides some backup against P Don when you don't want Gira-O getting pressured as hard. The standard set is Swords Dance / Recover / Stone Edge / Earthquake with 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe / Jolly. If Xern is still an issue you can run secondary priority with Extreme Speed over Recover, just be aware that it's not a very strong priority move, especially unboosted. EKiller is also an option, but you are slightly worse off against Primal Groudon yet more secure against Xern. Stone Edge is mandatory so you aren't Salamence food, and you have Darkrai to help pick up slack against Ghosts.

If Darkrai is a problem for the team you can change Xerneas to a Choice Scarf set, running either just Sleep Talk and Moonblast or you can retain Aromatherapy and pickup a coverage move. This does come at a cost of dropping some momentum for the build overall and not preforming as well against stall, but it helps the matchup against offense. If you keep Xern as the Geomancy set, consider running Hidden Power Rock over Aromatherapy to rip through Ho-Oh. If defensive P Ogre is more of a problem due to the use of Blaze and Arc Ground then consider Thunder.

Summary:
Change Deo-S to P Don with Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Rock Slide / Precipice Blades and 216 Atk / 216 SpD / 76 Spe / Adamant
Change Lugia to Gira-O with Thunder Wave / Shadow Sneak / Dragon Tail / Earthquake and 244 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe / Adamant
Consider another move over Thunder Wave on Gira-O if Xern isn't as big an issue
Change Arc Grass to Arc Ground with Swords Dance / Recover / Stone Edge / Earthquake and 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe / Jolly
Consider Extreme Speed over Recover on Arc Ground if you need the utility of priority
Consider running Stone Edge EKiller instead of Arc Ground if Xern is more of an issue and you need stronger priority
Run Stone Edge on Mega Blaziken, and consider running Swords Dance
Consider running Choice Scarf Xerneas if Darkrai is an issue
Consider running Hidden Power Rock on Xerneas, or Thunder if defensive P Ogre is more problematic

I made this build as solid as I could without deviating to some standardized offensive team. Unfortunately Mega Blaze doesn't have too much room to branch out from, but I did what I could. Good luck with the team.

Hi ong1324, it's great that you decided to give Ubers a try since it's a really interesting tier, but as you said there are several changes you can make as to optimize this team. The very first thing is something you've already noticed; that having a suicide hazard lead in Deo-S is counterproductive to running Defog support. When running Pokemon such as Lugia anti-hazard support is warranted, but since this is clearly not a defensive team (use of Deo-S, Darkrai, etc.) then it makes more sense to drop Lugia as to eliminate the need for anti-hazard support altogether. Arceus-Grass also doesn't really fit this build and is a major momentum sucker that also allows things like Mega Salamence to setup on your team more easily. Mega Blaziken is a hard Pokemon to justify, although it might have been (you don't say) what you were building around in the first place so I'll keep it.

To start you should replace Deoxys-S for Primal Groudon as Mega Blaze already has little defensive synergy and you can't really afford to have another mon that gets no switch-in opportunities. There is pretty much no reason not to run Primal Groudon on an offensive team anyways due to the sheer amount of role compression it provides (Xern check, P Ogre check, Ho-Oh check, SR setter, etc.). The set you should run is Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Rock Slide / Precipice Blades with a spread along the lines of 216 Atk / 216 SpD / 76 Spe / Adamant. What this set allows you to do is take Deo-S' role as a hazard setter, deter Lati switch-ins and setup sweepers with paralysis, and check opposing Xerneas. You can play around with the EVs, but anything less than the current special bulk risks being OHKOed by +2 Xern after SR.

As for your Mega Blaziken set I think Knock Off should be removed and replaced with Stone Edge so that Ho-Oh can't come in and so that Mega Salamence is pressured a bit harder to setup. You should also consider dropping Protect for Swords Dance in this case which can allow Blaze to more easily actually break opposing Pokemon, although it can be difficult to setup and the loss of Protect means a loss of a guaranteed +1 Speed. You might also want to try Hidden Power Ice, then change the nature to Naughty which 2HKOs bulky Mega Salamence and doesn't have accuracy issues like Stone Edge does, hits Gira-O a bit harder, and hits some arbitrary mons like Lando-T, but makes Ho-Oh a bit more of a problem. Losing Knock Off does make Lati slightly more threatening, but this weakness is much more easily fixed than a Mega Salamence or Ho-Oh problem.

With two Ground weaknesses and a lack of an EKiller check you should add Giratina-O. You also gain some utility in priority and having something that can emergency check Mega Salamence assuming your bulk is intact. The spread you should run is Thunder Wave / Shadow Sneak / Dragon Tail / Earthquake with 244 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe / Adamant. Thunder Wave is not very standard on this mon, but I find it sort of a necessary evil since otherwise Gira-O is something that Xern can setup on. If Xern isn't an issue and you'd rather having something like Defog you can try that too. Earthquake hammers stuff like Klefki and Mega Diancie, the first you'll want gone for Xern and the second for Blaze, while it still deals sufficient damage to P Don. You can also consider running more Speed creep on Gira-O.

In the final slot I'd suggest SD Arceus Ground, which greatly benefits from Blaze's ability to rip apart things like Skarmory and provides some backup against P Don when you don't want Gira-O getting pressured as hard. The standard set is Swords Dance / Recover / Stone Edge / Earthquake with 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe / Jolly. If Xern is still an issue you can run secondary priority with Extreme Speed over Recover, just be aware that it's not a very strong priority move, especially unboosted. EKiller is also an option, but you are slightly worse off against Primal Groudon yet more secure against Xern. Stone Edge is mandatory so you aren't Salamence food, and you have Darkrai to help pick up slack against Ghosts.

If Darkrai is a problem for the team you can change Xerneas to a Choice Scarf set, running either just Sleep Talk and Moonblast or you can retain Aromatherapy and pickup a coverage move. This does come at a cost of dropping some momentum for the build overall and not preforming as well against stall, but it helps the matchup against offense. If you keep Xern as the Geomancy set, consider running Hidden Power Rock over Aromatherapy to rip through Ho-Oh. If defensive P Ogre is more of a problem due to the use of Blaze and Arc Ground then consider Thunder.

Summary:
Change Deo-S to P Don with Stealth Rock / Thunder Wave / Rock Slide / Precipice Blades and 216 Atk / 216 SpD / 76 Spe / Adamant
Change Lugia to Gira-O with Thunder Wave / Shadow Sneak / Dragon Tail / Earthquake and 244 Atk / 252 Def / 12 Spe / Adamant
Consider another move over Thunder Wave on Gira-O if Xern isn't as big an issue
Change Arc Grass to Arc Ground with Swords Dance / Recover / Stone Edge / Earthquake and 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe / Jolly
Consider Extreme Speed over Recover on Arc Ground if you need the utility of priority
Consider running Stone Edge EKiller instead of Arc Ground if Xern is more of an issue and you need stronger priority
Run Stone Edge on Mega Blaziken, and consider running Swords Dance
Consider running Choice Scarf Xerneas if Darkrai is an issue
Consider running Hidden Power Rock on Xerneas, or Thunder if defensive P Ogre is more problematic

I made this build as solid as I could without deviating to some standardized offensive team. Unfortunately Mega Blaze doesn't have too much room to branch out from, but I did what I could. Good luck with the team.
Awesome, I like what you've done. The only reason I had mega blaziken was because a I couldn't think of a different physical sweeper that would work, so feel free to get rid of him. Atm I'm thinking Mege Mewtwo could be a decent replacement. Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)